2016 US Senate: Arizona

Addie

Post by Addie »

[link]CBS5,http://www.kpho.com/story/24425782/sen- ... ricopa-gop[/link]

Sen. John McCain censured by Maricopa GOP ?(

PHOENIX (CBS5) - The Maricopa County Republican Party has voted overwhelmingly to censure Arizona Sen. John McCain. ...

The vote was 1,150 for the censure and 351 against.

Here is the resolution as drafted by precinct committeeman Tim Schwartz:

As leaders in the Republican Party, we are obligated to fully support our party, platform and its candidates. Only in times of great crisis or betrayal is it necessary to publicly censure our leaders.

Today we are faced with both. For too long we have waited, hoping Sen. McCain would return to our party's values on his own. That has not happened. So with sadness and humility we rise and declare:

Whereas Sen. McCain has amassed a long and terrible record of drafting, co-sponsoring and voting for legislation best associated with liberal Democrats, such as amnesty, funding for Obamacare, the debt ceiling, assaults on the constitution and second amendment, and has continued to support liberal nominees;

Whereas this record has been disastrous and harmful to Arizona and the United States; and,

Whereas Sen. McCain has campaigned as a conservative and made promises during his re-election campaigns, such as the needed and welcomed promise to secure our borders and finish the border fence, only to quickly flip-flop on those promises; and whereas McCain has abandoned our core values and has been eerily silent against liberals, yet publicly reprimands conservatives in his own party, therefore

Be it hereby resolved that the Maricopa County Republican leadership censures Sen. McCain for his continued disservice to our state and nation, and

BE it further resolved that until he consistently champions our party's platform and values, we, the Republican leadership in Arizona will no longer support, campaign for or endorse John McCain as our U.S. senator.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

... and people wonder why Maricopa County deserves Sheriff Joe ... :roll:
For more information, read it again.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III »

Sen McCain will be 80 years old August 29, 2016. He may seek re-election but I'm speculating retirement instead. Unless Republicans flip enough Senate seats in 2014 to give McCain any hope of becoming a committee chairman after the 2016 elections I believe there is a good chance McCain will announce his desire to spend more time with his family (that seems to be the favorite reason most politicians offer when they announce their retirement).

DryInk

Post by DryInk »

Looks like John holds a grudge.

PoliticoMcCain's big purgeThe Arizona senator’s team has been ridding the state’s GOP apparatus of his tea party foes.

Nearly a year ago, tea party agitators in Arizona managed to get John McCain censured by his own state party. Now, he’s getting his revenge.

As the longtime Republican senator lays the groundwork for a likely 2016 reelection bid, his political team is engaging in an aggressive and systematic campaign to reshape the state GOP apparatus by ridding it of conservative firebrands and replacing them with steadfast allies.

More at the link.
Let's just assume I said something witty.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Ooops. I just duped this. Sorry.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Dolly

Post by Dolly »

John McCain to Run for Senate Re-Election in 2016

The "maverick" Senator will be 80 by Election Day 2016

Republican Sen. John McCain isn’t ready to throw in the towel yet. The “maverick” Senator announced Tuesday that he will run for what would be his sixth term in office in 2016.

“I have decided to run for re-election,” McCain said in an interview with NBC News. “I’m ready, I am more than ready. In some ways, I am eager.”

McCain has served in the Senate since 1986 when he succeeded Arizona Senator Barry Goldwater. He currently sits on the Senate Armed Services Committee, an ideal job for the former serviceman, and has run for president twice— in 2000 and in 2008, when he gained the Republican Party’s nomination.

McCain could face a challenge from conservatives who think he’s been too liberal, including those in his home state. “I have to convince the voters all over again of Arizona,” he said. “But I will stand on my record but more so, I will stand on what I can do for Arizona and the nation.” <SNIP>

http://time.com/3773594/john-mccain-relect-2016-senate/
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

mmmirele

Post by mmmirele »

When was the last time McCain did something for Arizona? Just Asking.

SuzieC
Occupation: Attorney since 1977. Litigator for 33 years. For 8 years so far Admin Law Judge for 3 state agencies.

Post by SuzieC »

McCain could face a challenge from conservatives who think he’s been too liberal, including those in his home state. “I have to convince the voters all over again of Arizona,” he said. “But I will stand on my record but more so, I will stand on what I can do for Arizona and the nation.”

Sure, but are there any viable Dems in AZ who might challenge McCain?

SueDB

Post by SueDB »

IMHO, I don't think Arizona is ready to cease being a laughing stock quite yet.
“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

I don't think that there are enough Dems in AZ to mount a meaningful challenge, and unless they actually start enforcing their voting laws to prevent the snow birds from voting I don't see it changing. As to McCain getting by unscathed that I wouldn't bet on, he's not crazy enough to suit come of the factions, I'm actually amazed they haven't turned on him before now, and in truth I'm surprised he has lasted this long.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

esseff44

Re: 2016 US Senate: Arizona

Post by esseff44 »

McCain has been declared the winner in the Arizona primary. He has a fairly strong challenge from the Dems coming up. It's his 80th birthday.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/pol ... /89266480/

Yep, Arpaio wins the primary for sheriff as expected.

Notorial Dissent

Re: 2016 US Senate: Arizona

Post by Notorial Dissent »

I don't think their was any expectation that McCain or Arpaio WOULDN'T win their respective primaries, now the actual elections could be a whole other matter.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Return to “U.S. Senate”