Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Democratic Messaging

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
RVInit

Re: Democratic Messaging

Post by RVInit »

busterbunker wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:51 pm Every job I've ever had related to some aspect of media. Media is a ream of 8.5 x 11 paper. I'm not inclined to yell at a brick of blank paper. Media is what you make of it. And by golly, you're doing that right now.

I think Democratic messaging is caught in a battle between city mouse vs. country mouse. Suburban mouse casts the deciding vote in most elections.
:yeahthat: And they appear to respond to sound bites. Unfortunately. Regardless of how much we don't like it, that is true. We are not going to change them. If we want a different outcome, we are the ones who are going to have to change.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

filly wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:17 pm
The arguments are there. Democrats must make them and make them where they will be heard.
And make them over and over and over again.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

I know that the 1st Amendment allows news networks to show 24 hours per day of news, and there is nothing we can do about that.

I think that it is not the media, per se, that is the problem. It is the media as it is currently constituted, being dominated by the 24 hour news networks. They must fill all that air time, even if there is nothing of note happening. So, they blather on and on.

The other thing is that, while most print newspapers did a pretty good job of segregating the news reporting from the editorial functions, the cable networks are abysmal at that. On the cable new networks, the news reporters are largely indistinguishable from the editorialists, and the networks make absolutely no effort to identify when they are reporting news and when they are expressing an opinion. Many viewers actually believe that they are getting hard news from Sean Hannity and Rachel Maddow, when, in reality, they are getting mostly opinion.

I firmly believe that the proliferation of 24 hour cable news networks has had a deleterious effect on politics and on our society.

The other thing that has changed in my lifetime is primary elections. When I was a kid, primary elections were not as common as they are today.

One can argue that primaries are more democratic than the old way, but I believe that we got better candidates from smoke-filled rooms than we do from primaries.

In the primaries, Republicans must run to the right, the far, far right. Democrats must run to the far left, the far, far left. Otherwise, they risk an attack on their flank. Then, in the general election, it is very difficult for the resulting candidates to return to the center-left or center-right, which is were governing can be done. So, we get idealogues on both sides elected, and nothing can get done.

Compromise is out of the question, even if a compromise is best for the country. To compromise is to be seen as weak and as consorting with the enemy, which may result in a primary attack during the next election.

And, each side considers the other to be the enemy, not honorable colleagues with whom they happen to disagree on some aspects of policy. Each side considers the other to be nothing but despicable, treasonous criminals, consciously bent on the destruction of our country.
filly

Post by filly »

I disagree with your assertion that all Democrats run to the far far left in primaries. That’s not consistent with my observations nor do I know of any data that supports your assertion.

There are millions of people who don’t get their news from TV or print media. Social media seems to hit more where they are. The demographic here is somewhat unrepresentative.
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

filly wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:19 pm I disagree with your assertion that all Democrats run to the far far left in primaries. That’s not consistent with my observations nor do I know of any data that supports your assertion.
Agree. Case in point: more moderate Shontel Brown defeated farther left Nina Turner in primary for Ohio-11. (Isn't that your neck of the woods noblepa?) Another case in point: More moderate Joyce Beatty defeated farther left Morgan Harper in primary for Ohio-3.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

America cannot give evangelicals what they want
... a Democratic Party committed to social justice and racial tolerance is never going to win over the hardcore White evangelical base of the GOP. There is nothing Democrats can “give” them (e.g., jobs, cheaper health care) to satisfy their need for White Christian ascendency. That puts a premium on Democrats’ ability to organize a broad ideological coalition that is firmly grounded in democratic ideals and racial/religious inclusion.

We face a battle over the meaning of America. All defenders of a diverse democracy must stand shoulder to shoulder for an inclusive system of government.
Emphasis mine.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

I have largely given up on the North Carolina Democratic Party, tbh. Who is the leader of the NCDP?

It doesn't seem to be Governor Who? (Cooper), the guy who was a great attorney general and who I voted for twice. He has mostly faded into the woodwork, as far as I can tell. What's he done since defending his own authority in court? :think:

And it doesn't seem to be ol' whatshername, Dr. Bobbie Richardson, the lady we elected to be the NCDP Chair for a two year term. To this day, nobody has ever heard of her.

I'd like to see Wayne Goodwin step up (again), but he lost the insurance commissioner election twice in a row and didn't run again for NCDP Chair. He lost his wife to cancer last year. Maybe he just needs a break.

But we need a Stacey Abrams, and we don't have one, and we're so fractured we lost NC to TFA last year.

In my county, we have a Men's Club, a Women's Club, and other clubs are for
  • Seniors
  • Young Dems
  • African Americans
  • Veterans
  • Progressives
  • Small Business Dems
  • Western Wake Dems
  • AAPI Caucus
    :think: ... I know I'm forgetting something ...
None of these get more than 50 to MAYBE 75 to a meeting. There is only one meeting a year where we can all show up, and that's at the County Convention, where we mainly try to stab each other in the back electing officers and stuff ... :biggrin:

I'll still do canvassing. But active participation in the Party? Not so much going forward.
Edit: We are so lucky to have two former governors and a former US senator, who as far as the Party is concerned, might be in hiding in a witness protection program. Mike Easley, Bev Perdue, and John Edwards.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Let's open up a GoFundMe page for a Mayflower replica and let them find greener pastures... :biggrin:
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Foggy wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:23 pm
Edit: We are so lucky to have two former governors and a former US senator, who as far as the Party is concerned, might be in hiding in a witness protection program. Mike Easley, Bev Perdue, and John Edwards.
OMG. I had completely forgotten about Edwards. Of course he is still alive, and not even old. He is toxic in the Democratic Party but still rich. What is he doing with his money?
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

SuzieC wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:55 pm OMG. I had completely forgotten about Edwards.
It's working, then. He wants you to forget. There's your Democratic Messaging. :biggrin:
What is he doing with his money?
I think he's just hiding out with Rielle or whatever her name is and the boy, who must be growing up quickly. Didn't all that happen 17 years ago? Kid must be in high school now.

These were the titans of Democratic politics when I moved here 19 years ago. I was so proud and happy to move here from Orange County, California, which was a right-wing hellhole. Now they're all alive and AFAIK healthy, and all three are MIA.

Our party is floundering, and I can't save the world. :mad:

And Orange County is turning blue! :boxing:
filly

Post by filly »

Maddow played an ad last night that is supposed to be released today from a group I had never heard of. She said they have significant ad buys for it. It’s brilliant and funny. Called “Electile Dysfunction “ it’s a riff in those ads and its hilarious and exactly what I’ve been talking about. Will see if I can find it!
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Image Image Image Image
filly

Post by filly »

:thumbsup:
Estiveo wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:56 am
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

:like:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I like it. I only half saw it last night.

I was surprised to see one of the Property Brothers in it.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
filly

Post by filly »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:19 am I like it. I only half saw it last night.

Yeah me too! And it’s not just a cameo. Let the death threats begin!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

filly wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:25 am
AndyinPA wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:19 am I like it. I only half saw it last night.

Yeah me too! And it’s not just a cameo. Let the death threats begin!
Right after I posted that, I remembered they are Canadian.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

Dr. Ken

Democratic Messaging

Post by Dr. Ken »

I've been getting spammed to death lately by the DNC in my email. Like membership card emails... I've never been a member. I only donated once to Barack Obama in 2008. They just keep sending me email after email
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Democratic Messaging

Post by RTH10260 »

Dr. Ken wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:19 pm I've been getting spammed to death lately by the DNC in my email. Like membership card emails... I've never been a member. I only donated once to Barack Obama in 2008. They just keep sending me email after email
You ought to threat them with a House committee investigation ;)
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Democratic Messaging

Post by neonzx »

Adam Schiff has been harassing me many times per day text/email begging for donations for his Senate run. :?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Democratic Messaging

Post by AndyinPA »

neonzx wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:57 pm Adam Schiff has been harassing me many times per day text/email begging for donations for his Senate run. :?
Me, too. I'm thinking about marking his emails spam. Otherwise, I see two years of this. Gotta say, I'm glad the election is over. If I got one more from Val Demmings, I would have gone nuts. I like him a lot and wish him well, but not in my email. At least, not this early.

Return to “Current Politics”