Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Google

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Google

Post by RTH10260 »

Looks like this has kicked in, AdBlockOne has been disabled
Chrome pushes forward with plans to limit ad blockers in the future

Posted: November 23, 2023
by Pieter Arntz

Google has announced it will shut down Manifest V2 in June 2024 and move on to Manifest V3, the latest version of its Chrome extension specification that has faced criticism for putting limits on ad blockers. Roughly said, Manifest V2 and V3 are the rules that browser extension developers have to follow if they want their extensions to get accepted into the Google Play Store.

Manifest V2 is the old model. The Chrome Web Store no longer accepts Manifest V2 extensions, but browsers can still use them. For now. Manifest V3 is supported generally in Chrome 88 or later and will be the standard after the transition planned to take place in June 2024.

A popular type of browser extensions are ad blockers. Almost all these ad blockers work with block lists, which are long lists of domains, subdomains, and IP addresses that they filter out of your web traffic. These lists are commonly referred to as rulesets. One part of the transition will “improve” content filtering. And to be fair, Google has made some compromises when it comes to the version as it’s now in the planning, compared to what it originally planned to do.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/blog/news/ ... the-future
AndyinPA
Verified:

Google

Post by AndyinPA »

Don't think I'd spend much time on a computer without one.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Google

Post by keith »

Not a big fan of Chrome, but I do use it on mobile.

I have been getting friendlier with Edge lately, but I am getting sick to bloody death of every time I do a search, decide I used lousy search terms, and go back to the top to refine them, it scrolls past the search entry point and puts up a 'Copilot' thing-a-mee. I hate it and I don't want it. Its worse than M$oft's old 'Clippie' thing-a-ma-jig.

When I ask Copilot 'how do I turn off Copilot' it responds "No, I won't do that. FOAD".

I might have to go back to Firefox full time, but I understand that Mozilla is using Chrome rendering engine too. At least so far I haven't had a problem with the Firefox equivalent to CoPilot whatever its called. If Firefox has to block Adblock too, then I might have to resort to something exotic like Brave or Opera - but I don't know anything about their rendering engine.
Edit: ETA: I figured out how to turn off CoPilot. Instructions here: https://www.tomsguide.com/computing/sof ... windows-11

(Theoretically. I haven't actually proved it yet)
Has everybody heard about the bird?

Return to “Economy”