Movie: "Dreams From My *Real* Father"

BillTheCat

Re: Movie: "Dreams From My *Real* Father"

Post by BillTheCat »

as Mr. Obama begins to wind down his Presidency and fades into history
Dream on, Gilbert Grape. The only one who will "fade into history" is yourself, pretend-film-maker nobody. :nope:
'But I don't want to go among mad people,' said Alice. 'Oh, you can't help that,' said the cat. 'We're all mad here.'
-Lewis Carroll

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo »

From the Google street view, Republican HQ looks like it might hold as many as 10-15 people. I wonder if the sumptuous Kenyan cuisine is going to be prepared in the kitchen of the cupcake shop/café next door. I also wonder what a Kenyan cupcake might taste like.
Image Image Image Image Image

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Estiveo wrote:From the Google street view, Republican HQ looks like it might hold as many as 10-15 people. I wonder if the sumptuous Kenyan cuisine is going to be prepared in the kitchen of the cupcake shop/café next door. I also wonder what a Kenyan cupcake might taste like.
I don't know what flavor they might serve, but I'm sure it will be full of crunchy goodness.

bob

Post by bob »

FEC:
MUR[*] 6779
COMPLAINANT: Loren Collins
RESPONDENTS: Joel Gilbert; Highway 61 Entertainment, LLC; and DFMRF, LLC
SUBJECT: The complaint alleged that Gilbert, Highway 61 Entertainment, LLC, and DFMRF, LLC (1) did not report as independent expenditures their costs to distribute by mail millions of free copies of a documentary film critical of President Obama in swing states immediately before the general election, and (2) neither reported the cost to run an advertisement for the film nor included disclaimers in either the film or the advertisement.
DISPOSITION: The Commission closed the file.
The FEC's dismissal.

* Matter Under Review.

H/t: Doc C.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Loren

Post by Loren »

WND: Dems on FEC vote to punish anti-Obama filmmaker

http://www.wnd.com/2016/04/obamas-fec-m ... filmmaker/
"The complaint was filed by a critic of Gilbert’s film, Loren Collins, who contended that when Gilbert mailed free copies of “Dreams” to voters, no one reported the “cost to run an advertisement.”
What a word jumble. This makes it sound like I was claiming the mass-mailing was an advertisement, when in fact, that quote is describing my separate complaint about the print ads that Gilbert took out. I alleged the mass-mailing was an independent expenditure, not an ad; in fact, it was Gilbert's lawyers who claimed the mass-mailing was a marketing effort for the DVD.

In fact, Corsi can't even get three paragraphs in without grossly misrepresenting how the FEC voted. The three Democratic commission members are actually two Democrats and a Bush-appointed independent, and he's wrong when he says the three Republican members "argu[ed] the standard media exemption had been given to liberal filmmakers," because nobody, on either side, issued any statements of reason, so it's impossible to know WHY they voted the way they did. The FEC counsel advanced some arguments, but none of the commission members did.

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo »

Wait, what? Dr. Jerome Corsi, hater of chicken masks and swift boater supreme, was less than candid? :o Get out.
Image Image Image Image Image

Loren

Post by Loren »

Estiveo wrote:Wait, what? Dr. Jerome Corsi, hater of chicken masks and swift boater supreme, was less than candid? :o Get out.
It may also shock you know that Dr. Corsi, a repeat plagiarist, also constructed much of his story by simply rephrasing the Washington Examiner's story:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/dems- ... le/2587898

Loren

Post by Loren »

Also, in Googling to see if anyone else was reporting on this, I discovered that Gilbert's film cropped up in a story about the Supreme Court's recent unanimous decision in Evenwel v. Abbott, rejecting the argument by some Texans that redistricting should be done based on number of registered voters, not residents.
Evenwel is a tea party and GOP activist in Titus County, Texas. As Mother Jones reported in December:

In 2012, the Evenwel-led Titus County GOP hosted a screening of Dreams From My Real Father: A Story of Reds and Deception, the docudrama that suggests Obama's real father was Frank Marshall Davis, a man the film's promotional material describe as a "Communist Party USA propagandist who likely shaped Obama's world view during his formative years." On her Facebook page, Evenwel has also approvingly touted a story from the conservative website WorldNetDaily questioning whether Obama was really born in America.
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... wel-abbott

Loren

Post by Loren »

Dave Weigel at the Washington Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... t-the-fec/
“With the right framing, even the most dishonest, smear-mongering attacks can skirt FEC regulations under our current regulations,” said Collins. “His mailing cost at least $1 million, and that could've been paid for by Mitt Romney or Donald Trump, and there's no way to know. Taken together with [the Supreme Court's Citizens United decision], this could have very serious negative ramifications. The general counsel's report might as well be an instruction manual on how to avoid the transparency that comes with public disclosure of financiers.”
I've already emailed Dave to ask him to correct the part where he calls me a "progressive activist."

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Loren wrote:I've already emailed Dave to ask him to correct the part where he calls me a "progressive activist."
Oh ouchy, that must have hurt! :lol:
For more information, read it again.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Loren

Post by Loren »

Foggy wrote:
Loren wrote:I've already emailed Dave to ask him to correct the part where he calls me a "progressive activist."
Oh ouchy, that must have hurt! :lol:
Honestly, the biggest problem with that mistake is that it plays right into Gilbert's false narrative, that he's being attacked by Democrats for being anti-Democrat.

That narrative falls apart (like all of his other claims) when the complaint was brought against him by a conservative Republican lawyer.

bob

Post by bob »

American Thinker: The Trayvon Hoax That Divided America Is About to Be Exposed:
Jack Cashill wrote:On Monday. September 16, Joel Gilbert will preview his new documentary, “The Trayvon Hoax,” in the 500-seat Ballroom of the National Press Club in Washington, D.C. The screening begins at 1 p.m. Admission is free, and Gilbert is encouraging all interested parties to come see for themselves what could be a game-changer in the way the media report racially-charged news. Gilbert’s findings are that significant.

Having written a book on the 2012 shooting death of Trayvon Martin — If I Had a Son-- I have been following Gilbert’s progress with interest. In fact, I introduced Gilbert to George Zimmerman, the man who shot Martin. Those who have followed the case know that not since the Scottsboro boys has any ordinary citizen endured the kind of malicious and conspicuously false reporting Zimmerman has. My hope was that Gilbert would set the record straight.

Gilbert has done that and more. In the course of his relentless research into the shooting and subsequent trial, I can say without risk of overstatement that he has unearthed a legal fraud the likes of which I know no parallel. Not only has Gilbert discovered it, but he has also proved it six ways from Sunday, including DNA and handwriting analysis.

If I were Trayvon Martin’s parents or his family’s attorneys, I would be very nervous right now. If I were Florida state attorneys who prosecuted the case, I would be more nervous still. And if I were the media who covered this case — are you listening Matt Gutman and Lisa Bloom? — I would prepare to be mortified. The coverage of this case was a disgrace from day one.

To uncover this staggering fraud, Gilbert did what reporters used to do. He immersed himself in the milieu that produced Trayvon Martin. He mastered the patois of urban black Miami. He reviewed the thousands of text messages, tweets, Facebook and Instagram postings sent and received by Martin and his friends. He interviewed George Zimmerman and heard, from the only person who knew, Martin’s final words, words that revealed the cause of Martin’s tragic downward spiral.

Gilbert did some serious shoe leather reporting as well. He visited all the relevant Miami-area high schools, the neighborhoods where Martin and his friends hung out, the streets of Miami’s Little Haiti, and the town community where Martin died.

At the end of his research, Gilbert knew Trayvon Martin better than his parents did, literally. As their deposition revealed, they had no idea how Martin’s life had descended into a violent mix of street fighting, guns, drugs, burglary, and sex. Although both parents made good incomes, their separate lives created an abyss where a home should have been, and their once promising son fell straight to the bottom of it.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Return to “Miscellaneous”