Rest in Peace - Friends of The Fogbow

chancery
Verified:

Memories of Departed Members of the Old Fogbow

Post by chancery »

In the old Fogbow we had a “Rest In Peace” thread for members who had died, created by the late SueDB after I suggested it.

This thread is for memories of those departed members.
chancery
Verified:

TollandRCR

Post by chancery »

While tracking a delivery from Wisconsin to Massachusetts, I saw that the package had made its way as far as a town in Connecticut called Tolland.

That brought back a flood of memories concerning one of the mainstay members of old Fogbow, TollandRCR, who passed away in December 2018.

He was a sociologist and a professor at the University of Connecticut. I had never previously wondered about his handle, but I suddenly realized (and soon confirmed) that he must have lived in Tolland.

TollandRCR had strong viewpoints, and his friendships on the forum occasionally frayed due to the persistence with which he would sometimes take a discussion or a disagreement. While I didn't always agree with him, I remember him as good-hearted person, and someone who had lived a full life with its share of sorrows and joys, some of which he shared in some detail. He was fond of cats, and had one as his avatar.

His obituary was posted in the old Fogbow after his death, and the link is here: https://obituaries.tylerpaper.com/obitu ... =191239282
I've copied the text below in case the link disappears.

His university page is still up: https://sociology.uconn.edu/person/richard-rockwell/

Rest in peace, Richard Cook Rockwell. I wish you could have lived long enough to see Joe Biden elected and sworn in.

Please share any memories you think appropriate.

Richard Cook Rockwell, of Tolland, Connecticut, passed away on December 27, 2018, at the age of 76. Richard was born on June 1, 1942, in Tyler, Texas.

Richard attended the University of Texas at Austin, where he obtained his Ph.D. in Sociology in 1970. He was a data archivist and a professor of sociology, and also served as a director of university institutions, including as Executive Director of the Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. He loved teaching young people. This was punctuated by thirteen years as program officer for the Social Science Research Council (New York).

Richard enjoyed traveling the world, from Kobe, Japan to conferences on AIDS in Africa. Richard published many works over his career, including early work on using electronic social science data in the age of the Internet, and on global environmental change. Richard also loved to learn and to read, for work and for pleasure, a love he passed down to his children.

Richard is survived by his son, Jeffrey Rockwell, and his grandchildren Gianna, Rolston, Jessica, and Tyler; his son, Stephen Rockwell; and his brother, Raymond Rockwell.

A private inurnment will be held at a later date. If desired, memorials may be made to the Social Science Research Council, 300 Cadman Plaza West, 15th Floor, Brooklyn, NY 11201, USA, or online at ssrc.org.

To Plant Memorial Trees in memory, please visit our Sympathy Store.
Published in Tyler Morning Telegraph on Jan. 12, 2019.
Patagoniagirl

Re: Memories of Departed Members of the Old Fogbow

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Before my time on TFB, there was Ellie. And then Ducktape? So many wonderful and interesting people.
filly

Post by filly »

Tolland was a wonderful man. Did you know that he was at the University of Texas during the Tower Shooting? I used to PM with him about his memories of that day.

I thought of Ducky the other day when we cut the cord on our cable. She talked about how she'd done that a long time ago. That and her "The Google is your friend" are very lasting memories of her.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Duck tape and I lived less than a quarter mile away from each other for a year or so when I was in the second grade and she was a young television journalist in Chattanooga.

Also…

SueDB
Cornet67
Princess Foofypants

I know there are others but I’m drawing a blank right now.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

Grumpy Old Guy :( :crying:

Vic
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

ElaineSoCal
Pisky
Image Image Image Image
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

jemcanada2 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:59 pm Grumpy Old Guy :( :crying:

Vic
Grumpy was one of my favorites. I think of him each time I join the Tuesday meetup.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Wait?! GRUMPY?
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:38 pm Wait?! GRUMPY?
This is why this thread is important. :brokenheart: :bighug:
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Does anyone have a link to the long obituary that was posted for Cornet67, including his experiences during World War 2?

He posted a a touching series of accounts of his last illness.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

Dave Muckey
Ellie was EllieWyatt, Patagoniagirl

Y'all and making me sad tonight.
Largo al factotum.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

EllieWyatt's love, and knowledge, of Native American culture & history was expansive. She also had a great recipe for fry bread.

I made that fry bread along with carne adovada that was either her recipe or Realist's; I'll have to check my files for that, cuz it was delicious.
Image Image Image Image
scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

Pisky was Sarah Matthews -she lived in Cornwall. She was very active on twitter (more so than here). She knew everything about the Bundidiots. We DM'd on the twitter almost daily about Bundy nonsense. I miss her.
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

qbawl wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:15 pm
jemcanada2 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:59 pm Grumpy Old Guy :( :crying:

Vic
Grumpy was one of my favorites. I think of him each time I join the Tuesday meetup.
I think of Grumpy when I see the boats in the Welland Canal. Grumpy used to spend his holidays watching the boats in the St. Lawrence Seaway that the Welland Canal is a part of. He joined many Tuesday meetups from where he was camping and watching the boats.
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

On OldBow we had a thread to remember our departed members. Given the news about Patagonia, I thought it was fitting to revive that here.

https://formerly.thefogbow.com/forum/vi ... 22#p608422

SueDB
EllieWyatt
Cornet67
ducktape
ElaineSoCal
TollandRCR
Vic
Piskey
Goblin Seimen
DaveMuckey
PatagoniaGirl

If I missed anyone, please add their name.
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

Grumpy Old Guy
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Why did it get dusty all of a sudden?
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

There was a similar thread created here:
viewtopic.php?t=759
Image Image Image Image
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Estiveo wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:41 am There was a similar thread created here:
viewtopic.php?t=759
I even commented on it. :bag: :oldlady:

Foggy, feel free to merge.
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

poplove wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:56 amGrumpy Old Guy
I was not aware of this though I hadn't seen any posts from him in a while. May he and all the rest of our fallen Bowsers Rest.In.Peace!
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Miss them all. And still thinking of Princess Foofypants. 💙
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I didn't even get to know all of them, but :crying:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

qbawl wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:04 am
I was not aware of this though I hadn't seen any posts from him in a while. May he and all the rest of our fallen Bowsers Rest.In.Peace!
The last time we heard from him was at a virtual meetup one night early on and he informed us he was heading to hospice care. Several months later at a meetup Foggy mentioned he hadn't heard anything from him and feared he was no longer with us...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

Frater I*I wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:02 pm
qbawl wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:04 am
The last time we heard from him was at a virtual meetup on night early on and he informed us he was heading to hospice care. Several months later at a meetup Foggy mentioned he hadn't heard anything from him and feared he was no longer with us...
Yes, I recall at one of the Zoom meetups shortly before the old Fogbow went down, he mentioned he was diagnosed with what Patrick Swayze had. :(

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”