Kate520

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
p0rtia

Re: Kate520

Post by p0rtia »

:heart:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I'm so very sorry for your loss. :bighug:
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

So, so sorry for you and your sister's (and the world's) loss. What a talented young man.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Horrible news. Can't imagine how you and your family are suffering. Hugs.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Crossposted in Sleepless in Wherever, where none of you will see it, because I’m brain dead.

I’m sleepless in Pomona. I’d never had insomnia until about 6 months ago. I hate it. Sugar, how do you cope?

About every third night I go to bed like every other night but just as I’m falling asleep it’s like a switch flips and suddenly I’m wide awake. There’s nothing fateful or even particularly worrying on my mind, except climate change, what DFO and his cult have done to our country, you know; lately my nephew but it was happening for months before he died.

But I don’t lie in the dark worrying about these or other things. I plan - my tomorrow, a quilt block, the garden - and then get up and try to do something but after two days of no sleep I can’t function. Sprout snd I often end up in the living room at 4am sharing memes and YouTubes.

Sometimes I get so tiredwired I can’t sleep for days. Once I took a Tylenol PM. I slept but I literally couldn’t wake up the next morning. My body wouldn’t respond to any requests, like open your eyes or move your foot. I was wide awake and paralyzed. That was terrifying. So now I’m afraid of sleeping pills. I can already tell I’d be one of those crazy wandering sleepers if I took an Ambien.

Just…damn. I’ve tried meditation apps, yoga, various yummy teas, Audible’s bedtime stories, vigorous exercise but not right before bed, CBD, mother marijuana. The only thing I haven’t tried is no screens. How… how do you do that? I’m not sure I even can.
June bug

Post by June bug »

So sorry you've been having sleep problems, Kate. Have you tried melatonin?
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Sometimes anemia can cause bouts of insomnia. Chronic pain can disrupt sleep too also. My sympathy, sugar and Kate.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

I "build things in my head" as my husband calls it. Usually with the tv on so it doesn't consume me. The Phoenix quilt was finished many, many times in my head before I ever cut the first piece of fabric. Same thing with my work table at the studio. If it's something that I'm making from scratch with no plans to go by I catch a lot of potential mistakes. "This piece has to go on before the other one does or there's no place to put the screw" sort of thing. I can easily lie there an hour or longer before finally going to sleep, then sleep 3-4 hours and back up, wide awake. I might do that 2 or 3 times a day, and a few times a year I just don't go to sleep at all for 36 hours or so. That seems to re-set my sleeping a bit so I can at least get my usual 4 hours or so and start over the next night. I'm convinced I'll never solve the issue so I just try to figure out how to live with it.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

And totally off-topic, but building things in your head (or making spaghetti sauce or anything that requires a bunch of steps) is also one way to "beat" a polygraph. Use 90% of your brain to visualize every single step of whatever you're doing in your head, with just enough brain left over to hear and answer the question. The more detailed your visualization, the better it works.
Tiredretiredlawyer

IMPORTANT PRO-TIP FROM SUGAR!!!! :clap:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Insomnia is a terrible thing. I've struggled with it my entire life but I was lucky enough to finally find marijuana. I'm one of those who doesn't get high, I just get sleepy. I hope you can find something to help you through this. Now that I know how wonderful sleep is, and the great things that have happened to me physically now that I get a good six-seven hours a night, I don't know how I would cope if my pot was taken away from me. Good luck and keep us posted. We'd love to know how you finally beat it. :bighug:

ImageImageImage x4
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I LOVE A GET-AWAY WEEKEND!

For the first time in a long time, I’m doing something “normal”.

I’m sitting on the porch in front of our motel room at the Pioneer Town Motel outside of Joshua Tree. What a beautiful day! Brilliant sunshine, mid 60s, no wind to speak of. We’re meeting old friends I haven’t seen in a decade for hiking and a bit of folky music at the local venue.

We may be in the high desert, but it looks like the moon. It’s mostly flat along the main highway, but turn west and you’re in a while nother world. The road dips and climbs, twists and turns, and every new vista is amazing. There are piles of small boulders everywhere, on every surface. It looks to me like the poop yard of alien, grasshopper-like creatures. Lots of people are convinced there has been alien contact u here for decades.

Pioneer Town was built by Roy Rogers and Dale Evans, as a closer-than-the-Alabama-Hills place to film movies. The Cisco Kid, Annie Oakley (Barbara Stanwick), so many I’ve never heard of.
► Show Spoiler
Tomorrow we’ll go hiking, then take a nap in the hammocks out front, then head home. Since the pandemic, I’ve lost track of most of the typical holidays I craved when I worked. It’s Presidents’ Day weekend and half of LA is up here, too. Oh, well. There’s enough weird beauty for everyone.

See y’all on the flip side. :dance:
Tiredretiredlawyer

Joshua Tree is beautiful! Have fun! :bighug:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Sounds positively delightful! :thumbsup: :bighug:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:yeahthat:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer

Gail Davis who portrayed Annie Oakley in the TV series was a Little Rock girl! I watched the show every week wishing I had pigtails like hers!
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:59 pm Gail Davis who portrayed Annie Oakley in the TV series was a Little Rock girl! I watched the show every week wishing I had pigtails like hers!
Well....It's not too late...

Just sayin'... :shrug:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Tiredretiredlawyer

Then I would need to learn how to shoot! :biggrin:
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:56 am Then I would need to learn how to shoot! :biggrin:
Wait....

Isn't it against the law for a girl to grown up in Arkansas and NOT learn how to shoot???? :shrug:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Tiredretiredlawyer

Frater I*I wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:09 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:56 am Then I would need to learn how to shoot! :biggrin:
Wait....

Isn't it against the law for a girl to grown up in Arkansas and NOT learn how to shoot???? :shrug:
Yes. I learned how to shoot and was damned accurate with a shotgun. :biggrin:
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

Frater I*I wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:09 pm Wait....

I live in the Seattle area, but I grew up in San Antonio, Texas. When she was 8-10 years old, during the summers, I sent my Seattle-area daughter to the same Texas summer camp that I had attended when I was a kid (located not far from Austin). When she came home, she was scared to tell her mother (a non-Texan with strong opinions about guns) that her favorite activity was riflery (fixed targets and skeet).
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

sounds dreamy. Have a great time!

ImageImageImage x4
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

It's been so many years since I've visited Joshua Tree. I'm jealous! I hope you have a great weekend, see you the other side...
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Huh. Next time my sweet sister asks me to housesit, ima have to say no.

I started feeling bad almost immediately I got to her house Saturday. By Wednesday I had to call Sprout to take over for me. ThursdayFridaySaturday worser and worser. By Sunday I was at the ER for hydration. By Sunday evening admitted with septicimia, pneumonia, a-fib and kidney issues. I’m home now. “Massive viral gastroenteritis”. Which apparently joined a bacterial party already stomping my insides into wine. The doc thinks I got it from her dog.

This is as sick as I’ve felt ever. Even COVID didnt feel this bad. I’m home now, two days only thank god, but I’ll be feeling this for a while.

I was afraid it was a long covid thing and I or someone I love might go through it on a regular basis.

My best-guess scenario:

Freddie Mercury (the Pom) picked up the virus on one of his walks before I arrived but since he was on antibiotics for a cracked tooth, it never settled in. He was throwing up the day before I arrived but not while I as there. He shed it before I got there. And I picked it up and it settled in.

i’m going to sleep. Goodnight.
June bug

Post by June bug »

:bighug: :bighug: Kate!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”