Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Slim Cognito

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Re: Slim Cognito

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Lani, your aunt is my kinda woman! 8-)
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Lani

Post by Lani »

I'm having insomnia tonight and have found more about her. It's wonderful to see that she is honored. There's even a memorial to her and other important women on the Shore. I still don't know the name of her beloved companion.

When I told my dad and stepmom that I was accepted to law school, they cried. I had priced myself out of the marriage market just like Aunt Susie. They thought her life was miserable, while I knew her as a happy person who loved history and traveling around the world with her best friend. She's the reason why I have a dual BS degree in world history & economic geography and went to law school. Close relatives tried to console my parents by saying that I would be able to chair the PTA. Yeah, great reason to go to law school. :roll:

The direct family line (white males only) which began with the first white guy on the Shore about 1621 is dying out. https://encyclopediavirginia.org/entrie ... mber-1633/ For all the ranting and worrying about me and family heritage, it looks like my son is one of the last few direct male descendants of Thomas Savage. (Which is obviously stupid to ignore the female descendants.)

I have a lot of love for the Eastern Shore from my childhood, and I took my son there when he was a toddler. I hope he visits there again some day. Our ancestors were badass people. Savage was the first, but indentured servants of all colors later fled there. When Cromwell banned theater, the colony put on plays. When England taxed the colonies, the colony refused to pay for decades before the Boston tea party. And my beloved aunt forged a path for other women, like me.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:bighug: :thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Wow. What a family, Lani. :lovestruck:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Allow me to vent, Hubs has had it up to here with my whining.

Many of you have fractured ties with family because of this whole trump debacle so you'll relate. I was lucky in that respect. But I did lose a good friend, also my next-door neighbor. I'd been trying to convert J for several years. I never understood her identifying as a Republican. She respects medical science (she's vaccinated) and worries about the environment and her goddaughter's future. She voted for trump in 2016 but later admitted she was "so over" him. She even listened when I told her of my enthusiastic support of Harris.

I don't know when Fox News sucked her in, but I suspect it had to do with Facebook memes.

I unfollowed her on Facebook to avoid the aggravation but she didn't unfollow me. She often attacked my posts, making completely illogical arguments she couldn't back up, so, after being handed her ass as politely as possible, she took to mocking me. I begged her to unfollow, unfriend, even block me so she wouldn't be agitated by my posts but she refused. Said she wanted to read everything I wrote, which, to me, meant she was looking for a fight. Finally, we mutually agreed the friendship was over, which was devastating for me. We had been very close. Her husband (R) took the news badly. He's a great guy, very similar to my guy, and they were good friends, as well. He reached out to Hubs, who agreed they were still good friends, nothing had changed between them and something about "fucking politics." As for J and I, I'd hoped time would heal all wounds and not that much time has yet passed, although she did refuse an invitation to a neighborhood party bc I would be there. Or so I thought.

We noticed a while back R's truck was no longer in the driveway. Originally assuming he'd gone north to visit his family, or possibly the truck was in the shop, we thought nothing of it. After some time passed, I ventured back to her FB page to see if everything was ok. All evidence of R had been erased but interspersed among the most insane, racist, Newsmax/OAN bullshit I have ever subjected myself to, was a mention that her mother was in the ICU and possibly wouldn't be coming out. And, in all of that, no R, whom I can't imagine abandoning her for a family visit if her mother is terminal. Since my office window looks directly onto her driveway, I can see she's been gone every day from 10 am until well after dinner and since they run their business out of their house (a product that they assemble and ship from home) I thought I'd wander over to her Etsy page. Same story there. She's apologizing she's been unable to fulfill orders because of her mother's health and, if any customers want a refund, please do not hesitate to ask. (I will say their product is top of the line because that's the kind of guy R is. Perfectionist doesn't begin to describe him.)

I can't stop talking to Hubs about it, if I should reach out, should I sit back and wait. I asked another neighbor, who is aware of our rift, to let me know if things with her mother worsen but she told me she's also no longer on speaking terms with J, for reasons that have nothing to do with me. But if she hears something, she'll let me know.

I love J like a little sister, that I want to shake by the shoulders until she comes to her senses. Hubs wants me to just forget about her and move on.
:crying:
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

I have sibs like that. They were raised apart from me in a much more rural area. They never so much as joined the military or saw the rest of the country from sources other than Look magazine. Maybe they were born of a different mom and dad too, also. Who knows who got scooped from the nursery and handed to my mother as she left the hospital? I tend to ignore them. I'm friended with them, but in a "do not follow" mode.
Il factotum
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

So sorry Slim. I don't FB (I have a fake account for reading only). My first cuz is a wingnut-- smart as all heck, but accuses me of being Antifa. He won't have anything to do with me. His father, my uncle, also a nutjob (he plays the "agree to disagree" card) made me promise to care for his son when he is gone. (of course). Sucks all the way around.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Sorry Slim, that sucks. My two best pals from high school (the 70s!!) found me on FB a few years ago. M was always off politically (family was Birchers), but P has been sliding to the OAN nonsense and I finally turned her off so her stuff didn't show in my feeds.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I'm trying to decide if I want to at least unfollow, maybe just unfriend, a cousin who's on Facebook. She's not quite batshit crazy, but close. I am genuinely appalled by some of her posts. They are thoughtless and cruel. I haven't seen her in years as she moved away about thirty years ago, but all my memories of her are of such a different, sweet person. She's militarily anti-abortion. I give her a break on that as she had a baby born prematurely who died in a few days. But I had a miscarriage my first pregnancy at nearly four months, and that hasn't defined my views on that kind of thing. She just posted that she supports Marjorie Taylor Greene no matter what. Maggie was a teacher. She would never have put up with a bully like that in one of her classes.

I did break ties with another friend in another state a few years ago after the former guy's first election. It was gradual, but final. She texted me last year on my birthday and said she missed me and wanted us to talk, but I couldn't do it. I wonder sometime if I made a mistake, and maybe she has changed her mind, but I know she hasn't. She was/is an ardent faux noise watcher, thought W was the best president ever. With things the way they are these days, she's probably around the bend.

On the other hand, I unfollowed my brother-in-law, who is a batshit-crazy evangelical, and never looked back.

So, yeah, Slim, I get your pain. I am sometimes furious at the people who have made it like this.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Thanks all. This has helped bunches.

:grouphug:
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Lani

Post by Lani »

This is a very crowded room! Seems like many (if not most) of us have similar experiences. Sometimes I want to find out if they have changed their minds, but most blocked me. I have a friend in Mississippi who contacted me about calling. I went to her facebook page and saw every damn Qanon conspiracy there is. Her friends who post there are just as nutz. I don't feel like I can deal with her. Maybe later.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Back with an update on lost bestie/still next door neighbor. As I've whined before, I'm sick about losing her to these fucking trumpanzees but here's the latest, if interested. I'm posting here because it's not appropriate for my Facebook journal.

Some of our female neighborhood gang are planning a night out next Sat for a Gay Pride event. Neighbors look to me as the event planner so, with the help of one other, we discussed the invite and concluded we had to invite J, despite the problems she's caused for a couple of us. It wouldn't look right to the others, who are unaware of the tension, if we left out one of the charter members. But before I sent the invite, I told my co-planner I should check J's Facebook page for updates on her mother. Last I'd heard, J said she may only have days to live and I didn't want to do anything inappropriate.

So I warned Hubs I was going in but that I'd quickly scan by the bullshit memes and look for mom updates. The good news is that her mom has improved and has been released to rehab, so the invite has been sent to all.

But as much as I promised myself not to read her memes, they're bumper-sticker length and it's hard not to take them in with one glance. I wondered if they were directed at me. Hubs says probably but not let it get to me. (If you missed my whine on our previous altercation, suffice to say she's dived into Q/OAN headfirst, she's sitting on the bottom of the pool holding her breath and she's made it clear I must bow to her superior knowledge of Facebook memes and Tucker Carlson).

First meme (paraphrased but pretty close):
"I'm going to start telling people exactly what I think of them. That should weed out the weak."

Ok, that's stupid, but not necessarily an attack on me. It just shows how volatile she is.

Second meme:

"DON'T EVER RE-FRIEND SOMEBODY WHO TRIED TO TAKE YOU DOWN. MAKE THEM SUFFER!"

Yeah, I took that one kind of personally, although it was her who confronted me on my
Facebook page. Probably explains why she's ignored the invitation, for which I am relieved, but I can't tell anybody other than you guys. To everyone else, I'll express sadness she couldn't make it.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

After having a bad morning, listening to the hearings on the FBI ignoring, even downplaying, the sexual assaults of gymnasts (and who knows who else) by Nassar, I went into Lowe's to pick up some mulch.

As I pushed my card down the aisle, (on my side per US traffic rules) I look up and see a guy walking directly towards me wearing a Hillary for Prison T-shirt (unmasked, natch). I fixed him straight in the eyes and stayed the course, never slowing down. He look straight back at me as we played a game of chicken. However, he was a pedestrian and I had three bags of mulch in my cart.

At the last minute, he stepped over into his lane.

I know it sounds childish, but it made me feel better.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:lol: :thumbsup:
filly

Post by filly »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:04 pm After having a bad morning, listening to the hearings on the FBI ignoring, even downplaying, the sexual assaults of gymnasts (and who knows who else) by Nassar, I went into Lowe's to pick up some mulch.

As I pushed my card down the aisle, (on my side per US traffic rules) I look up and see a guy walking directly towards me wearing a Hillary for Prison T-shirt (unmasked, natch). I fixed him straight in the eyes and stayed the course, never slowing down. He look straight back at me as we played a game of chicken. However, he was a pedestrian and I had three bags of mulch in my cart.

At the last minute, he stepped over into his lane.

I know it sounds childish, but it made me feel better.
Some days it's the small victories we need to embrace. This is a heartwarming story. Thanks for sharing it! :thumbsup:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

That hearing was rough. Those poor girls.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

:shock:

I think Slim's victim should go directly to a nearby rally and report on the incident. He can tell TFA, "Sir, it was terrifying! I'm a brave man, I served in the Army, but I seriously thought she was going to be violent! Her weapon, sir? A shopping cart with THREE bags of mulch in it! She would have hit me with it if I hadn't jumped out of the way! That madwoman could have put me in the hospital!" :blackeye:

"A description? Well, she looked like a cross between a sweet old lady and a biker chick. I mean, you wanted to just help her cross the street and then go kick over her Harley after she was far enough away, yanno what I mean?" :o

"Old ladies like that are dangerous as hell, man. I'm lucky I escaped with my life!" :eek:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Foggy wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:46 pm :shock:

I think he should go to a nearby rally and tell TFA, "Sir, it was terrifying! I'm a brave man, I served in the Army, but I seriously thought she was going to be violent! Her weapon, sir? A shopping cart with THREE bags of mulch in it! She would have hit me with it if I hadn't jumped out of the way! That madwoman could have put me in the hospital!" :blackeye:

"A description? Well, she looked like a cross between a sweet old lady and a biker chick. I mean, you wanted to just help her cross the street and then go kick over her Harley after she was far enough away, yanno what I mean?" :o

"Old ladies like that are dangerous as hell, man. I'm lucky I escaped with my life!" :eek:
(chef's kiss)
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:49 pm :snippity:

(chef's kiss)
Hidden Content
Hidden Content
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Give em hell Slim!

:thumbsup:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Volkonski wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:28 pm Give em hell Slim!

:thumbsup:
:yeahthat: :clap:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Way to go, Slim!!!!!!!! We ain't chicken even if our leader is a ... well... chicken. :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Well crap! I have jury duty tomorrow, in DeathSantis Florida. This is my fourth summons but I was released from the first three (you call after 5 the night before to see if you have to show). I was hoping this would also go away.

and masks aren't required.

What if I show up and just start coughing?
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

Slim Cognito wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:10 pm Well crap! I have jury duty tomorrow, in DeathSantis Florida. This is my fourth summons but I was released from the first three (you call after 5 the night before to see if you have to show). I was hoping this would also go away.

I say show up double masked with a face shield and nitrile gloves on. The bright purple ones that cannot be missed.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

jez wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:12 pm
Slim Cognito wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:10 pm Well crap! I have jury duty tomorrow, in DeathSantis Florida. This is my fourth summons but I was released from the first three (you call after 5 the night before to see if you have to show). I was hoping this would also go away.

I say show up double masked with a face shield and nitrile gloves on. The bright purple ones that cannot be missed.
I can do that. I'll put them on the table now. (I was already going to double mask. I have KN-95s but they hurt my ears so I put a cloth mask with ties over it so I can release the ear elastic. )

Return to “Introduce Yourself”