Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Canada

W. Kevin Vicklund

Canada

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

I just finished the last of my holiday stash this weekend (I restrict myself to one a week). Growing up, there was a donut shop near where my father lived, and they made the best maple frosted donuts I've ever had. I wish I could find something remotely comparable.
jemcanada2

Canada

Post by jemcanada2 »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:16 pm I just finished the last of my holiday stash this weekend (I restrict myself to one a week). Growing up, there was a donut shop near where my father lived, and they made the best maple frosted donuts I've ever had. I wish I could find something remotely comparable.
Time to get your spring stash! :thumbsup: :biggrin:
W. Kevin Vicklund

Canada

jemcanada2 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:30 pm
W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:16 pm I just finished the last of my holiday stash this weekend (I restrict myself to one a week). Growing up, there was a donut shop near where my father lived, and they made the best maple frosted donuts I've ever had. I wish I could find something remotely comparable.
Time to get your spring stash! :thumbsup: :biggrin:
My dealer supplier source is a local cider mill. No more for me until after Labor Day. Unless I smuggle some across the border head down to Canada. (The good stuff gets rock hard after a few months, the last few were a bit crunchy, so I don't bother trying for a spring stash)

On the other hand, maple cookies are a thing. Think an Oreo, but the cookie and filling are both maple. I've got a couple boxes ready to go... :drool:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Canada

Post by keith »

Ok now you gone and done done it.

I am a recovering maple sugar candy addict. Its almost impossible to get it in Oz so I've been in withdrawel for 30 years.

But I'm going to the USA Foods import store today to replenish my Grape Nuts supply, and I'll probably be crawling the walls looking for Maple sugar candy, which they won't have and I'll be depressed for months.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Canada

Post by Ben-Prime »

Maple sugar candies are a particular weakness of mine. As a diabetic, I'm not proud of it. >sob<
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Canada

Post by Ben-Prime »

keith wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:08 pm Ok now you gone and done done it.

I am a recovering maple sugar candy addict. Its almost impossible to get it in Oz so I've been in withdrawel for 30 years.

But I'm going to the USA Foods import store today to replenish my Grape Nuts supply, and I'll probably be crawling the walls looking for Maple sugar candy, which they won't have and I'll be depressed for months.
SOLIDARITY, BROTHER! WE MUST BE STRONG!
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
AndyinPA
Verified:

Canada

Post by AndyinPA »

Yes! I've had the Martinette candy. I also love the spotza, which we've had at maple syrup festivals.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
sugar magnolia

Canada

Post by sugar magnolia »

Again, I'm the outlier. Just the smell of maple anything makes me gag. My husband makes some sort of potion of steel cut oats, maple something or other, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice every morning. This concoction takes at least a half hour and a bunch of dirty dishes. Every. Morning. I stay back here in my sewing room and just holler for him to bring me more coffee so I don't even have to go to that end of the house and risk catching a whiff of whateverthehellitis that smells like maple. He cooked some kind of frozen meal in the microwave one time and it was a week before I could use it again.
keith

Canada

Post by keith »

Not only did the USA Store not have maple sugar candy, but they were out of Grape Nuts too. :(

I came away with a big bag of fritos, a six pack of powdered sugar donets, and a tin of Hatch Red Enchilada sauce. What a great shopping trip.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Canada

keith wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:00 pm Not only did the USA Store not have maple sugar candy, but they were out of Grape Nuts too. :(

I came away with a big bag of fritos, a six pack of powdered sugar donets, and a tin of Hatch Red Enchilada sauce. What a great shopping trip.
Simple Grape Nuts recipe: Take one cardboard box. Run through cross-cut shredder. Add milk.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Canada

Post by AndyinPA »

:lol:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
jemcanada2

Canada

Post by jemcanada2 »

Ben-Prime wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:03 pm Maple sugar candies are a particular weakness of mine. As a diabetic, I'm not proud of it. >sob<
Maple sugar and maple syrup have a lower glycemic index so don’t feel too bad. As a diabetic myself, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it! ;) ;)
keith

Canada

Post by keith »

I once went looking for a Pecan Pie recipe that used maple syrup and found a good one. I made that pie and it was great.

Problem was it advertised itself as "sugar free".

Now even I know that maple syrup is upwards of 80 percent (or something like that) sugar.

Who are these guys trying to 'kill'?

The chemical composition of 80 pure maple syrup samples produced in North America
A total of 80 pure maple syrup samples received from primary producers in Canada and the United States were analyzed for their chemical composition, pH and oBrix. The major carbohydrates found in maple syrup (sucrose, glucose and fructose) were determined employing anion exchange high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) with pulsed amperometric detection. The sucrose content was found to range from 51.7 to 75.6%; glucose and fructose contents ranged from 0.00 to 9.59% and 0.00 to 3.95%, respectively. The major organic acid present in maple syrup was malic acid. Trace amounts of citric, succinic and fumaric acid were also present.
How can this be advertised as 'sugar free' in any way shape or form?

White 'table' sugar is sucrose, but the way.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Canada

Post by Maybenaut »

My dad used to go to Canada on business, and he’d bring us back maple sugar candy. :lovestruck:

And boxes of broken candy sticks from the A&P in the States (I was the only one who liked it; you can’t find clove candy sticks anymore).

After I was already grown up he also went to Pennsylvania coal country once and brought back some Bituminous Candy from somewhere around Pittsburgh (He had quite the sweet-tooth). It was licorice rock candy that looked like chunks of coal and came with its own little pick-axe. It was very cute until, when I was home on leave, I woke up before him (which was unusual), and when he didn’t get up for a while I went to check on him. His face and pillow were all black, and I was like, Dad, Oh my God, Dad, wake up!! Are you OK?!! I was all ready to call 911. He wakes up and was like, What?! Is the house on fire?! I was like, What happened to you?! He said, Oh, I must’ve fallen asleep with a piece of this candy in my mouth. Jeezus, Dad, you scared the crap out of me!
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
AndyinPA
Verified:

Canada

Post by AndyinPA »

:lol:

I remember the coal candy, too. I liked it, but in small amounts.
jemcanada2

Canada

Post by jemcanada2 »

The coal candy kind of scares me :shock: :shock: :cantlook:

Coincidentally, we went to Swayze Falls today. We HAD to go shopping at the two sugar bush farms since they were right around the corner. ;) ;)
Attachments
BE51F1A5-B6FC-4605-8EBB-EAC2A7E78F1B.jpeg
BE51F1A5-B6FC-4605-8EBB-EAC2A7E78F1B.jpeg (36.52 KiB) Viewed 192 times
B7C3B02D-A291-4D04-8BBE-92DB71BA9CE6.jpeg
B7C3B02D-A291-4D04-8BBE-92DB71BA9CE6.jpeg (34.18 KiB) Viewed 192 times
AndyinPA
Verified:

Canada

Post by AndyinPA »

I have some of that maple tea from my last trip!
jemcanada2

Canada

Post by jemcanada2 »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:33 pm I have some of that maple tea from my last trip!
:lovestruck: :lovestruck:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Canada

Post by raison de arizona »

IMG_7619.jpeg
IMG_7619.jpeg (95.56 KiB) Viewed 140 times
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
p0rtia

Canada

Post by p0rtia »

:rimshot:
Sam the Centipede

Canada

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Possible Canadian cultural awareness, numeracy, literacy, and critical thinking examination:

Questions
Q1: How many 1L bottles of maple syrup would it take to fill a typical ice hockey rink to the depth of the puck?
Q2: Explain why many more bottles would be required to achieve this on a rink in Europe.
Q3: Expand on your answer to Q2 to predict how a Canadian team playing a game in a European city might adapt its tactics.

Answers
► Show Spoiler
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Canada

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, you look fabulous, jemcanada lady! The falls, too also.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
jemcanada2

Canada

Post by jemcanada2 »

Foggy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:43 am Yeah, you look fabulous, jemcanada lady! The falls, too also.
Thanks! Maple syrup and sunshine agree with me. :thumbsup:
jemcanada2

Canada

Post by jemcanada2 »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:31 am :snippity: :snippity:

Answers
► Show Spoiler
:nooo: :nooo:
qbawl

Canada

Post by qbawl »

jemcanada2 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:16 am
Sam the Centipede wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:31 am :snippity: :snippity:

Answers
► Show Spoiler
:nooo: :nooo:
Wow talk about slow ice and sticky pucks.

Return to “Foreign Countries and Culture”