Evangelicals and Trump

DejaMoo

Re: Evangelicals and Trump

Post by DejaMoo »

Suranis wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:29 pm
One again I shall mention that churches in Ireland shut down straight away.
I have to explain over and over to my mom (who has dementia) that she can't go to church because the church is closed for the duration, and that this decision is supported by the Pope.

I managed to have a civil conversation with my fundy brother regarding the pandemic. He told me his rural church is recruiting teen volunteers to provide free child care in their facility for local emergency responders and medical personnel. I give them credit for that. I also give them credit for opting to end their church services during the pandemic. I suggested to him that they might be able to do a drive-in service, if they could get their hands on a low-power AM or FM transmitter. Just have everyone stay in their vehicles in the church parking lot while listening over their radios. Turns out the church has such a transmitter and will be checking with the town council to see if they'd be okay with the church doing that.

So not all fundies are complete idiots, nor are all fundies reflexively oppositional to government.
I've heard this bull before.

Lani

Post by Lani »

Suranis wrote:
As did the churches where I live. Services are still held, but live streamed. Parishioners are busy distributing food, running errands for their elders, mowing for people who can't, and making masks.

Dave at Sea

Post by Dave at Sea »

Lani wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:50 pm
Suranis wrote:
As did the churches where I live. Services are still held, but live streamed. Parishioners are busy distributing food, running errands for their elders, mowing for people who can't, and making masks.
The difference between faith and business.

Northland10

Post by Northland10 »

Suranis wrote:
My diocese (Episcopal) shut down in-person services before the shutdown order came from the state (and my day job started working from home earlier as well). Our food pantry has kept running but they heavily changed the process to a pre-ordered curbside pickup in order to keep people safe.

We have had some online liturgies, especially during Holy Week, and are starting up morning prayer on Sunday mornings (which will keep me busy trying to figure out how we can do music). We also have the Washington National Cathedral streaming (along with others big and smaller).

We are not screaming about the state shutting us down, because they did not. We made that choice, on our own, because the safety of our congregation and the others we serve is of the highest importance. As the Presiding Bishop said early on, we stay home and we wash our hands because we love.
North-land: of the family 10.5

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Return to “Religion”