June 6, 1944

Joseph Robidoux III

June 6, 1944

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:28 pm

Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force! You are about to embark upon a great crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty loving people everywhere march with you. In company with our brave Allies and brothers in arms on other fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world.Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped and battle hardened, he will fight savagely.The balance of Gen Eisenhower's message along with a recording of Ike giving it are available at the below link.[/break1]army.mil/d-day/message.html]http://www.army.mil/d-day/message.html[/break1]photobucket.com/user/Joseph_Robidoux_III/media/Military/D-DayLanding_zpsed1620a2.jpg.html]http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n63 ... Additional info:[/break1]army.mil/d-day/beaches.html]http://www.army.mil/d-day/beaches.html"Liberty loving people everywhere" have not forgotten your bravery, dedication and sacrifice.

Shagnastie

June 6, 1944

Post by Shagnastie » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:59 pm

As a historian, one of my great interests has always been WWII history and when I was in graduate school, I had the privilege of working for the university's oral history collection. Two of the projects I participated in involved interviewing vets about their personal experiences in certain phases of the war.I'll never forget the stories I heard, and I don't think any media representations even came close until "Saving Private Ryan" and "Band of Brothers".A personal friend, who passed away a couple of years ago, served in a Ranger battalion that went in on D-Day. He liked to say that was the beginning of a year long walking tour of Europe. He saw a lot of combat, because as he told me, every time his division came in contact with the Germans, some officer would start yelling, "Rangers to the front!".

Joseph Robidoux III

June 6, 1944

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:25 am

Anniversary of D-Day

BFB

June 6, 1944

Post by BFB » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:03 am

Thinking about the fellow who, had he lived through WW II, would have been my uncle. He was wounded on D-Day, earning him his first of two Purple Hearts.

Joseph Robidoux III

June 6, 1944

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:27 pm

One of the lesser known facts about D-Day is the following note written by Gen Eisenhower June 5, 1944.[/break1]photobucket.com/user/Joseph_Robidoux_III/media/Military/EisenhowerD-DayInCaseOfFailureLetter_zpse672391e.jpg.html]http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n63 ... 72391e.jpg[/break1]businessinsider.com/d-day-in-case-of-failure-letter-by-general-eisenhower-2012-6]http://www.businessinsider.com/d-day-in ... wer-2012-6"Our landings in the Cherbourg-Havre area have failed to gain a satisfactory foothold and I have withdrawn the troops. My decision to attack at this time and place was based upon the best information available. The troops, the air and the Navy did all that Bravery and devotion to duty could do. If any blame or fault attaches to the attempt it is mine alone."This would have been Eisenhower's statement to the world had the invasion not been successful. Eisenhower accidently dated the note July 5 instead of June 5 but then Ike was kinda bizzy that day.

SueDB

June 6, 1944

Post by SueDB » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:39 pm

It's a forgery... ;) ;) ;) :o :o :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll:
“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

GreatGrey

June 6, 1944

Post by GreatGrey » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:34 pm

If Bush & Cheney had been in office in 1944 D-Day woulda happened in Patagonia.
I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Foggy

June 6, 1944

Post by Foggy » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:37 pm

It WAS a very close thing, when the day came. If we hadn't succeeded, it might have been another five years before we could have tried again ... by which time I suppose the Russians would have been occupying France to greet us.There were so many ways we could have lost the war, it's scary to think about them. Another one is, suppose Hitler had finished off Russia before attacking England. You'd think he would have learned about running a two-front war from WWI.On D-Day itself, a lot of things went very, very wrong. But one thing that went right was, our efforts to deceive Hitler into thinking the real invasion was going to be directly across the Channel. A lot of work went into that deception, and it worked perfectly. When they woke Hitler up to tell him that we were invading Normandy, he refused to believe it. Which was a good thing, because he had an entire Panzer division he could have thrown in, if he had realized the truth, and then we might have learned all about Ike's note blaming himself. Awesomeness. I know a D-Day vet who's still alive, and I sent him a nice email today.
Any time my questions are all fully answered, I know I'm asking the wrong questions. - Bernard Samson

Dolly

June 6, 1944

Post by Dolly » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:18 pm

One Million Rose Petals Shower Statue of Liberty to Honor D-Day D-DAY ANNIVERSARY: STATUE OF LIBERTY SHOWERED WITH ROSE PETALS; OBAMA TOURS NORMANDYThree helicopters flew over the Statue of Liberty on Friday, showering France's gift to the United States with 1 million rose petals during a ceremony commemorating the 70th anniversary of the D-Day landings.Just prior to the petal drop, students unfurled two giant flags at the base of the statue - one American, one French. A band then played both countries' national anthems and another banner was held up reading "The French Will Never Forget." Hundreds of World War II veterans, history buffs and active duty military members attended.The statue was a gift from France to the U.S. for its help in World War II. The event marked the anniversary of the landings of Allied troops in Normandy, the largest amphibious invasion in history and a turning point in the war. much more about the ceromonies and veterans: [/break1]com/politics/d-day-anniversary-lady-liberty-showered-with-rose-petals;-obama-tours-normandy/97147/]http://7online.com/politics/d-day-anniv ... ndy/97147/
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

magdalen77

June 6, 1944

Post by magdalen77 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:06 pm

Umm, someone wasn't fact checking. The Statue of Liberty was here long before WW II.

vic

June 6, 1944

Post by vic » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:50 am

Nostradamus was French. Maybe the gift was based on a prediction that there would someday be a first, and then a second, world war? :^o

Foggy

Re: June 6, 1944

Post by Foggy » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:32 am

Sitting in the cover of their foxholes, American soldiers of the Allied Expeditionary Force secure a beachhead during initial landing operations at Normandy.
Any time my questions are all fully answered, I know I'm asking the wrong questions. - Bernard Samson

Return to “Military History”