Innovative Architecture, Infrastructure & Design

Volkonski

Re: Innovative Architecture, Infrastructure & Design

Post by Volkonski » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:34 pm

It was innovative in 1904. ;)

The long abandoned (since 1945) City Hall subway station in Manhattan. This was the 1st station. The 1st NYC subway train departed from here going north.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/11/nyre ... &smtyp=cur
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:08 pm

Wow!

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:10 am

(This post probably is too commercial for here; sorries.)

Business Insider
Amazon sells a $19,000 do-it-yourself tiny-home kit that takes only 2 days to build — here's what it looks like inside

Tiny homes have become increasingly popular in the past few years, whether that's because of rising costs of living or because they encourage minimalist living. Tiny homes make it possible to own your own property, even if that house measures only between 100 and 400 square feet.

But while constructing a functional housing unit may seem like a daunting task, Amazon has stepped in to make a hot millennial trend available to the masses by making these tiny homes easy to buy and simple to build. There are more than two dozen options on Amazon for DIY tiny-home kits, including 113-foot cabins at $5,350 and loft-bedroom houses at $20,000.

Surprisingly, some of the Amazon listings say these tiny homes can be built in as little as two days with two people.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:25 pm

That looks like a decent tiny home for the money. Some of them are ridiculously expensive.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:30 pm

Yeah, they are. I was thinking this would be good for a kid in college.
RVInit wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:25 pm
That looks like a decent tiny home for the money. Some of them are ridiculously expensive.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:51 pm

Yeah, that's gonna change some young people's lives.
Any time my questions are all fully answered, I know I'm asking the wrong questions. - Bernard Samson

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:40 pm

My daughter wants a tiny house here in the States for when she comes home, and after she retires. That looks perfect for her.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:08 pm

Gas? Electricity? Plumbing? Insulation?
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:10 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:08 pm
Use camping accessoires and add an outhouse... ;)

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:25 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:10 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:08 pm
Use camping accessoires and add an outhouse... ;)
Maine winters are mighty cold for an outhouse.

I do want to build a small house here at FEMA Camp 626, but it needs a bathroom, insulation, and electricity. Plus a well.
Off Topic
We are up here for the holiday weekend making Verbie cook for us. W2 isn’t impressed by the no-longer-tiny lambs. Listeme says Hi! IT’S DANG HOT!!!
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:36 pm

Off Topic
Tell Listeme that I went looking for more Elizabeth True books and guess what I found?
Whatever4 wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:25 pm
Off Topic
We are up here for the holiday weekend making Verbie cook for us. W2 isn’t impressed by the no-longer-tiny lambs. Listeme says Hi! IT’S DANG HOT!!!

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:09 pm

Addie wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:36 pm
Off Topic
Tell Listeme that I went looking for more Elizabeth True books and guess what I found?
Whatever4 wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:25 pm
Off Topic
Olivia Lark?
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:23 pm

Off Topic
Ah, gotcha. ty
Whatever4 wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:09 pm

Olivia Lark?

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:35 am

https://www.fodors.com/news/photos/fant ... -your-mind
Fantastic Modern Architecture to Blow Your Mind
15 cool pics and descriptions.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: African-American Naomi Anderson was a leader in the suffrage movement in the west, a published poet, barber, community activist, and teacher.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:28 am

Plenty for the critics, but awesome, too.

The Guardian - (More Photos)
Suburb in the sky: how Jakartans built an entire village on top of a mall

Depending who you ask, Cosmo Park is an ingenious urban oasis or an ill-conceived dystopia

It’s Thursday and the residents of Jakarta’s Cosmo Park are out jogging, watering their plants or walking their dogs along neat asphalt roads.

Neighbourhood kids pedal their bikes under frangipani trees and peach-coloured bougainvillea to the pool and tennis court. Apartments, comfortable and modern, sit side by side, with barbecues and toys stacked outside.

Quiet and orderly, it feels like any other suburban idyll – but there is one difference. Cosmo Park is a village in the sky, perched 10 storeys up on top of a shopping centre and car park, a world away from the heaving megalopolis below.

It is a surreal urban bubble, where normal life unfolds at an abnormal altitude. To access ground level, resident drive their cars down a ramp. A tall metal fence runs around the perimeter to make sure no one falls or drives off. Peer beyond the fence and you can spot the city’s landmarks below.

Cosmo Park was built 10 years ago but was largely unknown outside Jakarta until last month, when a drone photograph broadcast its oddness to the world.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:15 pm

Next people wonder why the mall and parking suddenly gives way over the unplanned wheight built on top of it...

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:30 am

Charlotte Agenda
35-year-old saves $100,000 in 7 years by living inside tiny house, plans to retire at 40 and build in Asheville ...

As real estate and rent prices continue to rise, some Charlotteans are looking for alternative ways to build wealth and put down roots.

Ryan Mitchell has lived in a 150-square-foot tiny house in south Charlotte for seven years. It cost roughly $35,000 to construct the home and buy the solar panels necessary to power it (he’s not on the grid and instead uses the panels and batteries).

After that initial investment, he now pays less than $40 a month in housing expenses. This includes water, propane and taxes (he pays the taxes of the friend whose land he lives on in exchange for parking his tiny house there). ...

Mitchell calculates the move into his tiny house has generated $100,000 in savings. He’s also been able to work his way through his bucket list.

This includes living in Croatia and Australia, traveling to the United Kingdom and Germany for several months, doing two six-week round trips around the U.S., and paying off his approximately $30,000 in student loans in four years.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:52 am

New Atlas: Baobab tiny house offers a comfortable interior, whatever the weather - (PHOTOS)

The Baobab, by Minimaliste, is a spacious tiny house that measures 38-ft (11.5-m)-long. As we've come to expect from the Canadian firm, the towable dwelling is designed to maintain a comfortable interior temperature, whether in harsh winter weather or a hot summer day.

The Baobab is based on a triple-axle trailer and clad in wood treated using the Japanese Shou Sugi Ban method of burning the wood to preserve it. Visitors enter the home via sliding glass doors, there's one on each side of the house, into a large open living room. This has a sofa (not installed at the time photos were taken), a TV, and some storage space.

There's also a propane-powered fireplace, which serves as a backup heat source in case of electricity outage, as the mini-split used for heating and cooling and the radiant underfloor heating system both require power. Additionally, two fans are installed on the reclaimed barn wood ceiling.

Return to “Science & Technology”