Innovative Architecture, Infrastructure & Design

Sugar Magnolia

Re: Innovative Architecture and Infrastructure

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:17 am

Addie wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:16 am
NPR
Building A Better Mosquito Trap — One Scientist Thinks He's Done It ...

The bottom bucket contains water with some rotting grass floating in it. Aedes mosquitoes typically lay their eggs in stagnant water. The middle bucket has a net to trap any mosquitoes that hatch in the water.

It's a simple setup, but the scientist who invented the GAT, Scott Ritchie of the Australian Institute of Tropical Health and Medicine at James Cook University, says there are several reasons it's effective.

"Most mosquitoes are innately attracted to black," Ritchie says, so that's what lures them in.

Female mosquitoes are the ones that bite people, and once they're stuffed with blood, they're eager to lay eggs.

"So we've got the blackness that brings them to the trap, and then we've got the stagnant water actually inside the trap where they can't escape," Ritchie says. "If you trap out enough of the egg-laying mosquitoes, then there aren't going to be eggs in the wild, so the population will crash."
Hmmmm.....sounds like being bitten by a female mosquito is a requirement for this thing to work. What's wrong with this picture?

Addie

Re: Innovative Architecture, Infrastructure & Design

Post by Addie » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:03 pm

New York Times
New York’s Next Nickname: The Big Sponge? ...

When New York officials learned that Copenhagen had developed a master plan to deal with storms and runoff, the two very different cities formed a partnership. Copenhagen’s population is less than 10 percent of New York’s, and Copenhagen covers far less land than do the five boroughs.

“Yours is much, much bigger, but the principle is the same,” said Lykke Leonardsen, a Copenhagen official involved in the partnership. “The idea of creating a new type of infrastructure for the management of storm water is a way of making sure that you do not experience an unwanted flood from sewer water and storm water, because then you’re not just talking about a nuisance but a health issue.”

Officials from both cities decided they needed open space that can, in effect, absorb water like sponges, or at least slow runoff gushing through populated areas during or after a storm. Finding such spaces is a tall order in urban areas, but “sponges” help to keep water out of the sewer system when sewers are overwhelmed in a storm.

“The obvious thing is, why don’t you build bigger sewers,” Vincent Sapienza, the commissioner of New York’s Department of Environmental Protection, said in an interview. “One is, they cost a fabulous amount of money to do, and two, on many residential streets, there’s no room for bigger sewers.”

Ms. Leonardsen said Copenhagen’s experience showed that turning to green infrastructure and solutions like sponge areas had economic advantages.

Jeanette Romano looking at a bioswale, a pit that collects storm water, in Maspeth, Queens.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:03 pm

They're not sponge worthy

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:58 pm

Nice Seinfeld reference!
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:22 pm

ABC News

Verified account

@ABC
Following Following @ABC
More
The world's longest cross-sea bridge, the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge, officially opens this week.

The 34-mile structure will lessen the travel time between Hong Kong and Zhuhai from 4 hours to 45 minutes, and cost $20 billion. https://abcn.ws/2ECOzvD
Hey, Trump & GOP-

China is improving its infrastructure with world-beating projects. What happened to that infrastructure bill?
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:00 am

Bloomberg
Skyscraper farms poised to grow globally

... For decades, vertical farms that grow produce indoors without soil in stacked racks have been touted as a solution to rising food demand in the world’s expanding cities. The problem has always been reproducing the effect of natural rain, soil and sunshine at a cost that makes the crop competitive with traditional agriculture.

Spread is among a handful of commercial firms that claim to have cracked the problem with a mix of robotics, technology and scale.

Its new facility in Keihanna Science City, known as Japan’s Silicon Valley, will grow 30,000 heads of lettuce a day on racks under custom-designed LED lights. A sealed room protects the vegetables from pests, diseases and dirt. Temperature and humidity are optimized to speed growth of the greens, which are fed, tended and harvested by robots.

“Our system can produce a stable amount of vegetables of a good quality for sale at a fixed price throughout the year, without using pesticides and with no influence from weather,” Spread President Shinji Inada, 58, said in an interview at the company’s existing facility in Kameoka.

Inada won the Edison Award in 2016 for his vertical-farming system. He expects the new factory, called Techno Farm, to more than double the company’s output, generating 1 billion yen in sales a year from growing almost 11 million lettuces.

About 60 percent of indoor-farm operators in Japan are unprofitable because of the cost of electricity to run their facilities, according to the Japan Greenhouse Horticulture Association. Most others only turn a profit because of government subsidies or by charging a premium to consumers for vegetables that are chemical-free. Spread sells lettuces for 198 yen a head to consumers, about 20 to 30 percent more than the normal price for conventionally grown varieties, according to Inada.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:38 pm

CNBC
This building material could have saved California houses from wildfires, but it's not widely used in the US ...

A building material known as a 3D cementitious sandwich panel could have saved some of these homes.

"A wood structure will combust almost immediately. And studies show that once a wood structure has 4 or 5 percent of the building on fire, it becomes a total loss because there's no stopping the fire," said Ken Calligar, CEO of RSG 3-D, the company that's bringing the panel to the U.S. for mass production.

"There's no place for a fire in a 3D panel building to start because you've got a concrete exterior and nothing is combustible within the materials." ...

"The reason the product has not been used well in the United Stated to date is because we have wood," said Geoffrey Evancic, chief operating officer of Hutter Pioneer, a construction company that is working with the RSG 3-D panels.

"The United States is blessed with multiple forests and wood was an inexpensive building material, up until the last five years. With the new energy code, especially up in the northern states, and in California, they want net-zero houses. You cannot get to a net-zero house construction with wood."

A house in Santa Barbara built using RSG 3-D's panels. ...

"When comparing the RSG 3-D panel system to conventional housing in terms of just wild fire, wood frame construction is notably fuel for fires," said Calligar. "An RSG 3-D panel building will have at least a two-hour fire rating, which means you can apply open flame to the walls for at least two hours with no combustion whatsoever."

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:48 am

Teeny Tiny

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:07 pm

I promise. My last post about tiny homes. :daydream:
Business Insider: 8 of the most envy-inducing tiny homes of the year — including a house that can be printed for less than $4,000

The US' first permitted 3D printed home debuted in Texas.

This house's sleek and sturdy exterior was made possible by a 3D printer called The Vulcan, which can produce a home onsite without having to piece together individual parts.

Earlier this year, the housing nonprofit New Story teamed up with ICON, a construction-technology company that designs 3D printers, to create the home in Austin, Texas.

The 350-square-foot structure was built in just 48 hours for $10,000. Since the printer was only running at 25% speed, the companies believe they can create a larger home — around 600- to 800-square-feet — in just 24 hours for $4,000 or less.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:10 pm

Keep 'em coming, Addie!
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: African-American Naomi Anderson was a leader in the suffrage movement in the west, a published poet, barber, community activist, and teacher.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:57 am

Addie wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:07 pm
Business Insider: 8 of the most envy-inducing tiny homes of the year — including a house that can be printed for less than $4,000

This house's sleek and sturdy exterior was made possible by a 3D printer called The Vulcan, which can produce a home onsite without having to piece together individual parts.

Earlier this year, the housing nonprofit New Story teamed up with ICON, a construction-technology company that designs 3D printers, to create the home in Austin, Texas.

The 350-square-foot structure was built in just 48 hours for $10,000. Since the printer was only running at 25% speed, the companies believe they can create a larger home — around 600- to 800-square-feet — in just 24 hours for $4,000 or less.
Disclaimer: does not include printed wood beams! ;)

I hope that the printing material does not contain long term health hazards. How about degradation under UV (sun) light. will the material be recyclable or just more massive plastic in garbage dumps?

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:53 am

I admit living a somewhat sheltered existence in my old age, but this is a thing? Really? Just strolling along on a sunny day package thieves. Never mind glittery traps for them built by former NASA engineers. Jebus. I've lived too long. :swoon:

BBC News
Youtuber's glitter bomb tricks parcel thieves

A former Nasa engineer spent six months building a glitter bomb trap to trick thieves after some parcels were stolen from his doorstep.

The device, hidden in an Apple Homepod box, used four smartphones, a circuit board and 1lb (453g) of glitter.

Mark Rober, who is now a Youtuber, caught the original thieves on his home security camera.

He decided to take action after the police said they were unable to investigate the case.

He designed the elaborate bomb so that it would be activated when the package in which it was hidden was opened by thieves. The phone cameras and microphones would record the moment.

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:21 am

The addition of the fart spray going off after the glitter bomb deployed added that little touch of class.
Image Image Image Image Image

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:34 am

I like the “believe imagine” in the one thief’s place.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:40 am

Estiveo wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:21 am
The addition of the fart spray going off after the glitter bomb deployed added that little touch of class.
:thumbs: And that it kept spraying every 30 seconds made it perfect for retrieval!
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: African-American Naomi Anderson was a leader in the suffrage movement in the west, a published poet, barber, community activist, and teacher.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:49 am

RTH10260 wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:57 am
Addie wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:07 pm

Disclaimer: does not include printed wood beams! ;)

I hope that the printing material does not contain long term health hazards. How about degradation under UV (sun) light. will the material be recyclable or just more massive plastic in garbage dumps?
Articles I've read have had the machine pooting out cement. But I wondered how, considering the cement has to set. Maybe they're using a two-part epoxy-type material with sand that sets quickly? I know they once made the panels that were used to line highways with the stuff; after being poured into a sheet, rounded stones were dumped onto it which workers chased around and placed into the mixture before it kicked.

Miserable job. I should know; I did it for a summer. :sick:
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:50 am

Tiny homes...

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:50 am

Yeah fine down South. But way too much wall area vs square foot area. It would cost a fortune to heat that here, based on square footage.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:04 pm

Check out this one, Zeke.
New Atlas: Magnolia tiny house rides out the winter in comfort
ZekeB wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:50 am
Yeah fine down South. But way too much wall area vs square foot area. It would cost a fortune to heat that here, based on square footage.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:15 pm

The Market took away my tiny house fund. :brokenheart: :evil:
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:03 am

I'm so sorry, sweetie. I hope it comes back to you :bighug:
Whatever4 wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:15 pm
The Market took away my tiny house fund. :brokenheart: :evil:

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:06 pm

Addie wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:04 pm
Check out this one, Zeke.
New Atlas: Magnolia tiny house rides out the winter in comfort
ZekeB wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:50 am
Not quite what I was speculating. I have a 1750 sq ft house and it cost me $44 to heat it last month. $.025 per sq ft. How much per sq ft would it cost to heat that house? Last month our temps averaged ten degrees below normal. I will add that the finest kind engineers specified the size of the 97 percent furnace for my house. Also, too, I have an attached 3 car garage that encloses about a fourth of the outside wall.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:30 am

This article on Treehugger includes pricing. Under each entry it will say "More in TreeHugger" and that's where the details and photos are of the specific house, so remember to click there.
Top 10 tiny houses of 2018: less is indeed more
Note to W4, there's a really nice country house at #10, and some gorgeous modern ones, too.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:40 pm

Addie wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:30 am
This article on Treehugger includes pricing. Under each entry it will say "More in TreeHugger" and that's where the details and photos are of the specific house, so remember to click there.
Top 10 tiny houses of 2018: less is indeed more
Note to W4, there's a really nice country house at #10, and some gorgeous modern ones, too.
#10 looks great. It’s now on my list, thanks.

I’ve just discovered something called a “park model RV” that looks interesting. Bigger than a tiny house, smaller than a trailer. Some are built sturdier than a trailer. But they are moveable so resale is an option. Example https://www.oaklakerv.com/product-fores ... ark-models
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:53 pm

Very nice. From the pics, you'd think you were in small apartment. :thumbs:
Whatever4 wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:40 pm

I’ve just discovered something called a “park model RV” that looks interesting. Bigger than a tiny house, smaller than a trailer. Some are built sturdier than a trailer. But they are moveable so resale is an option. Example https://www.oaklakerv.com/product-fores ... ark-models

Return to “Science & Technology”