Genetic Consequences of the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade

Jcolvin2

Genetic Consequences of the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade

Post by Jcolvin2 »

I wasn't sure whether to put this in science/technology, or in social issues, but it is a fascinating investigation of the African slave trade and then what happened subsequently in the New World, based on genetic information from 23andMe.

https://www.cell.com/ajhg/pdf/S0002-9297(20)30200-7.pdf

Somerset

Re: Genetic Consequences of the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade

Post by Somerset »

Jcolvin2 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:29 pm
I wasn't sure whether to put this in science/technology, or in social issues, but it is a fascinating investigation of the African slave trade and then what happened subsequently in the New World, based on genetic information from 23andMe.

It is fascinating. I didn't realize how few slaves went directly to mainland North America (<500K out of ~12M total). And sadly, the genetic evidence of which slave owners tended to rape female slaves isn't surprising.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Somerset wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:39 pm
Jcolvin2 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:29 pm

It is fascinating. I didn't realize how few slaves went directly to mainland North America (<500K out of ~12M total). And sadly, the genetic evidence of which slave owners tended to rape female slaves isn't surprising.
This fascinating animation shows the movement of enslaved people from Africa to the Americas. http://www.slate.com/articles/life/the_ ... trade.html

I also have the atlas of the the Transatlantic Slave Trade, a very detailed work. https://yalebooks.yale.edu/book/9780300 ... lave-trade

I took a class on American History at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts. Great class, each week the first hour was history by a different local professor the second was curators discussing objects in the museum’s collection that illustrated that history. The class on slavery was brutal. The curator showed a slide of a silver sugar caddy and called it the single bloodiest representation of slavery: millions died to produce sugar from sugar cane in South America and the Caribbean, millions more died mining silver in South America.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Post by Slim Cognito »

When we traveled to St. Thomas years ago, we rented a jeep and took the ferry to St John's for the most beautiful drive I've ever had. Circling the island, we eventually came to the ruins of an old sugar plantation mill. Perched high over the sea, it was a fascinating, if not sobering, self-tour. Paradise is a relative term.
ImageImageImage x4

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 »

The Man's ancestors are from South Carolina near the Georgia border. They came from somewhere in the Caribbean to Charleston and from there to the rice plantations. It was unpleasant and difficult work, but the Africans had the experience with growing rice. Free people didn't particularly like living in the rice growing areas so they ended up with far more blacks than usual. For that reason there wasn't as much rape. I was surprised when the Man came up as 95% African, but apparently it's typical for the area. It's probably why the Gullah were able to keep some of their culture.

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I would have thought blending such disparate genetics would create stronger more healthy offspring, leaving aside the rapes etc.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 »

Suranis wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:02 am
I would have thought blending such disparate genetics would create stronger more healthy offspring, leaving aside the rapes etc.
The European part of the Man's ethnicity estimate is, of course, Irish. The African part is a mixture but the three largest are: Nigeria, Cameroon/Congo and Mali. Those three account for 87% of his African ancestry.

Return to “Science & Technology”