Smart TV's

MsDaisy

Smart TV's

Post by MsDaisy » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:04 pm

I guess this goes under computers & Internet, in May we bought a big flat screen “smart TV” (for my birfday), and I’m not sure we’re smart enough to figure out how to work it. We don’t have cable TV or high speed Internet because these things do not exist out here in rural BFE Virginia. But we do have a hot spot and can access the Internet/Netflix/Prime with it through the smart TV. Trouble is even when we’re not looking at the TV, which is most of the time, now it seems to come alive all on it’s own and play very loud video games with itself. Here’s a photo of one of the video games it plays and the creepy guy playing it.
Smart TV.png
The only way to keep this TV from coming alive and playing with itself is to turn the entire TV and all it’s functions off. I thought at one point I found a place where you could disable “games” and I did that, but I don’t think it took. Any ideas on how to stop this shit from coming to life at all hours?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Birfers are toast

Dan1100

Re: Smart TV's

Post by Dan1100 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:28 pm

There should be a setting menu somewhere inside of it to turn different functions off.

Is a help desk number to call where they could walk you through how to shut off all the stuff you don't want?

Otherwise, if you give us the brand and exact model, we might be able to find the manual online and give you some advice.
"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:38 pm

I have a smart phone because, at the end of the day, I’m pretty sure I am smarter than the phone. I don’t have a smart tv. :geezerette: :confused: :nope: :talktothehand:
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:41 pm

Is there someone in your basement?
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:41 pm

Maybenaut wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:38 pm
I have a smart phone because, at the end of the day, I’m pretty sure I am smarter than the phone. I don’t have a smart tv. :geezerette: :confused: :nope: :talktothehand:
That's what your phone wants you to think. It has you exactly where it wants you. :sarcasm:
"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:42 pm

The TVPlus thingy on the corner means it's a Samsung TV. One option is that a device connected to it via HDMI is turning it on. Another option is that it's defective and you need to return it. Other options may exist.

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/trou ... G01108742/

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:49 pm

Dan1100 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:41 pm
Maybenaut wrote:
That's what your phone wants you to think. It has you exactly where it wants you. :sarcasm:
:yeah:
Don't get wrapped into a false sense of security. Your phone will eventually defy you. They are not to be trusted.
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:57 pm

neonzx wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:49 pm
Dan1100 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:41 pm
Maybenaut wrote:
Don't get wrapped into a false sense of security. Your phone will eventually defy you. They are not to be trusted.
As I discovered today, sweat beads on the screen will type texts, call random contacts, open apps, and all sorts of other things.

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:13 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:57 pm
neonzx wrote:
As I discovered today, sweat beads on the screen will type texts, call random contacts, open apps, and all sorts of other things.
My last phone was like that. :brickwallsmall:
This latest Moto I have is much better because nothing happens without the pin or fingerprint. And it's somewhat waterproof (allegedly for 30 minutes and 1.5 meters), so the facial sweat doesn't impact it. But like all electronics, they will eventually break down.
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:25 pm

neonzx wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:13 pm
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:57 pm
neonzx wrote:
My last phone was like that. :brickwallsmall:
This latest Moto I have is much better because nothing happens without the pin or fingerprint. And it's somewhat waterproof (allegedly for 30 minutes and 1.5 meters), so the facial sweat doesn't impact it. But like all electronics, they will eventually break down.
Mine is waterproof too but a big ole glob of sweat is apparently enough for the phone to read it as a "touch" when it's just sitting there on the screen. And our heat index was 108 today so everything was covered in big ole globs of sweat.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:55 am

MsDaisy wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:04 pm
I guess this goes under computers & Internet, in May we bought a big flat screen “smart TV” (for my birfday), and I’m not sure we’re smart enough to figure out how to work it. We don’t have cable TV or high speed Internet because these things do not exist out here in rural BFE Virginia. But we do have a hot spot and can access the Internet/Netflix/Prime with it through the smart TV. Trouble is even when we’re not looking at the TV, which is most of the time, now it seems to come alive all on it’s own and play very loud video games with itself. Here’s a photo of one of the video games it plays and the creepy guy playing it.

Smart TV.png

The only way to keep this TV from coming alive and playing with itself is to turn the entire TV and all it’s functions off. I thought at one point I found a place where you could disable “games” and I did that, but I don’t think it took. Any ideas on how to stop this shit from coming to life at all hours?
First things first: if you are not using your mobilephones as a hotspot, make sure you have hanged the default configuration password on the hotspot itself.

Second: make sure that the default setup password for the SmartTV is also changed.

But more likely: go into the setttings of the smartTV and look for an option called Demo Mode. Makes some demo run at the vendors. Set to off. The Demo Mode is usually hidden far away in some auxiliary or system setup menu.

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:55 pm

I found a place on the remote a couple weeks ago where it showed all the stuff/apps inside this TV and I saw the TVPlus app (or whatever it’s called) and I deleted it but it must have come back somehow or I didn’t do it correctly. I have tried to find that same place again but I give up pretty easily with stuff like this. I do not have that kind of patience.

We do have a hotspot for our Internet because that is all we can get, there is satellite out here but that’s worse than the hotspot. On the hotspot device the password can’t be changed. My son came over and set all that stuff up for us with some sound bar thing and he did have to program the hotspot password into the TV. I don’t know if the TV has a password. I have texted my son the photo and complained about this guy (and others) coming alive at all hours. He did come check it a couple of times but now just texts me back “Your fucking house is haunted, I can’t help you with that”. But he only says that’s because he doesn’t know how to fix it either!

We generally never look at the TV except a couple hours before bed, and sometimes not even then so it’s quite noticeable when it comes to life on its own all the time.

I’ll have to see if I can find that Demo mode place :thumbs:
Birfers are toast

Shizzle Popped

Post by Shizzle Popped » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:29 pm

It may be a Power On With Mobile setting. The path may be different on your TV but try: Settings > General > Network > Expert Settings > Power On with Mobile and turn that option off. Maybe.

Also, have you unplugged the TV for a few minutes? Sometimes these things just need a reboot like a computer.

I've started to view Smart TV software like viruses ever since Samsung sent an update that allowed them to push interactive ads that took up a quarter of the screen. I finally killed that little "enhancement" and unplugged the TV from the network. Now all of my TVs are unplugged and I use ROKU boxes instead.
If Trump was a stopped clock he still wouldn't be right twice a day.

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:52 pm

Shizzle Popped wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:29 pm
Now all of my TVs are unplugged and I use ROKU boxes instead.
That's worked the best for me. It's seems like we pay extra for these 'Smart TVs', but they are just simply packaging select apps/services from partnerships they have (they are being paid to include those apps). With using Rokus or similar external appliances, you have wide flexibility. And the money saved by not buying the 'Smart TV' well makes up for the small purchase of a streaming device. And, when not in use they can just be turned off/unplugged so you know they are not connected.

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:12 pm

Imma do a quick Ackshually. Smart TVs are cheaper because they sell your data:
https://www.businessinsider.com/smart-t ... ing-2019-1

And to be devils advocate, for simple streaming they’re fantastic. One cable for power, connect to internet via WiFi and you’re good. The built in Netflix/Prime/etc works extremely well and all runs off the same remote control.

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:21 pm

Jeffrey wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:12 pm

And to be devils advocate, for simple streaming they’re fantastic. One cable for power, connect to internet via WiFi and you’re good. The built in Netflix/Prime/etc works extremely well and all runs off the same remote control.
Ok, you win, smartypants. :towel: ;)

But I've also always not much cared for 'all in one' devices. When one component dies, you're likely looking at replacing the whole system.

Shizzle Popped

Post by Shizzle Popped » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:27 pm

Jeffrey wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:12 pm

That's just another reason to unplug them. At least with the Roku I can limit how many companies are gathering my data to some extent. Plus, there's an added advantage that all of my TVs run the same smart interface, which my wife likes.
If Trump was a stopped clock he still wouldn't be right twice a day.

Return to “Computers & Internet”