Firefox - general thread

RTH10260

Firefox - general thread

Post by RTH10260 » Mon May 06, 2019 12:19 pm

Firefox add-ons disabled en masse after Mozilla certificate issue
Firefox users report having add-ons disabled, being unable to re-activate or (re)-install extensions.

By Catalin Cimpanu for Zero Day | May 4, 2019 -- 05:42 GMT (06:42 BST) | Topic: Open Source

An expired certificate on the Mozilla Add-ons infrastructure is disabling Firefox add-ons for millions of users, and is also preventing users from re-activating or (re-)installing extensions.

The issue doesn't impact all Firefox users, but it impacted enough to trigger a massive surge of complaints on Twitter, Reddit, and other social media sites.

At the time of writing, the issue is still impacting Firefox users. The browser maker has formally acknowledged the issue in an email to ZDNet, on Twitter, in a status page, and in a bug report.

"We're sorry that there is currently an issue where existing and new add-ons are failing to run or be installed on Firefox," a Mozilla spokesperson said. "We know what the issue is and are working hard to restore add-on functionality to Firefox as soon as possible."

https://www.zdnet.com/article/firefox-a ... ate-issue/

Addie

Re: Firefox - general thread

Post by Addie » Mon May 06, 2019 2:15 pm

This is already fixed. My stuff came back.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Mon May 06, 2019 2:30 pm

Addie wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 2:15 pm
This is already fixed. My stuff came back.
Fixed for the pc version, but not yet for the Firefox ESR (Extended Support Release aka enterprise/corporate) and Android users.
I've heard this bull before.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon May 06, 2019 2:52 pm

Okay, got it, thanks.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:22 pm

You should update Firefox right now to fix a critical bug
Hackers are exploiting it to carry out attacks on vulnerable systems.

Kris Holt,
06.18.19 in Security

If you have Firefox on your computer, you should update it right now. Mozilla has released security updates Firefox 67.0.3 and Firefox ESR 60.7.1 to fix a critical bug, which it says hackers are actively exploiting to take control of vulnerable systems. The US Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency also issued an alert urging users and system administrators to review Mozilla's security advisory and act accordingly -- in other words, update your browser.

Coinbase Security and Samuel Groß of Google Project Zero reported the bug, which occurs "when manipulating JavaScript objects due to issues in Array.pop," Mozilla said. Essentially, attackers would be able to inject code into your system through malicious web pages if you visit them while running an unpatched version of Firefox. You can install the update via the following links:

https://www.engadget.com/2019/06/18/firefox-zero-day/

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:36 pm

Firefox Version 4 !

Remember it? What was your life in 2011? Yeah we all know - Obama was the POTUS in those days and Birthers running in the wild! ;)

I am just on a trip with the time machine, travelling (not driving!!!) back to 2001 and a Windows XP Pro installation. Does that make me twenty years younger? Or should I feel twenty years older by the end of the adventure?

Of course not running on real antique hardware but in a virtual machine. But that one has neither seen life since last updated in 2011.

Now upgrading all VMs with VMWare Desktop 14 (the version 15 carries rather a hefty price tag for its own upgrade).

Firefox cycles thru many intermediate updates from 4 -> 12 -> 43 -> 47 -> 52 to the last version on XP and Vista 52.9.

You ask why I am doing this? Even more old stuff. I have an archive with MS Access applications/Databases from 2003. The VM will be loaded with Microsoft Office v11 dating from 2001. I still remember that the 2003 release of Office broke my applications :madguy:

Return to “Computers & Internet”