Facebook - general thread

RTH10260

Re: Facebook - general thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Period Tracker Apps Used By Millions Of Women Are Sharing Incredibly Sensitive Data With Facebook
Data including when women last had sex was sent to Facebook and other third-party services, according to new research shared exclusively with BuzzFeed News.

Megha Rajagopalan
BuzzFeed News Reporter
Posted on September 9, 2019, at 12:03 p.m. ET

Period tracker apps are sending deeply personal information about women’s health and sexual practices to Facebook, new research has found.

UK-based advocacy group Privacy International, sharing its findings exclusively with BuzzFeed News, discovered period-tracking apps including MIA Fem and Maya sent women’s use of contraception, the timings of their monthly periods, symptoms like swelling and cramps, and more, directly to Facebook.

Women use such apps for a range of purposes, from tracking their period cycles to maximizing their chances of conceiving a child. On the Google Play store, Maya, owned by India-based Plackal Tech, has more than 5 million downloads. Period Tracker MIA Fem: Ovulation Calculator, owned by Cyprus-based Mobapp Development Limited, says it has more than 2 million users around the world. They are also available on the App Store.

The data sharing with Facebook happens via Facebook’s Software Development Kit (SDK), which helps app developers incorporate particular features and collect user data so Facebook can show them targeted ads, among other functions. When a user puts personal information into an app, that information may also be sent by the SDK to Facebook.

Asked about the report, Facebook told BuzzFeed News it had gotten in touch with the apps Privacy International identified to discuss possible violations of its terms of service, including sending prohibited types of sensitive information.

Maya informs Facebook whenever you open the app and starts sharing some data with Facebook even before the user agrees to the app’s privacy policy, Privacy International found.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/me ... ya-mia-fem
Special note: sharing user data to Facebook (for the provider) happens even when the user does not have a Facebook account!

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Facebook to be subject to tougher controls after EU court ruling
ECJ says member states can order platform to remove defamatory material globally

Owen Bowcott Legal affairs correspondent
Thu 3 Oct 2019 13.12 BSTLast modified on Thu 3 Oct 2019 16.25 BST

Facebook will be subject to tougher controls over online content after the EU’s highest court ruled the social media company can be ordered by member states to remove defamatory material worldwide.

The judgment from the European court of justice in Luxembourg was condemned by free speech organisations for imposing restrictions on online comments. It effectively edges internet service providers further down the road towards becoming traditional publishers.

The decision followed a complaint by the Austrian Green politician Eva Glawischnig-Piesczek to Facebook Ireland – the company’s European headquarters – seeking the removal of comments posted by a user.

The ECJ, judgments of which remain binding on the UK, said social media sites can be ordered to take down unlawful material.

Host providers such as Facebook are currently not liable for stored information if they have no knowledge of its illegal nature or if they act “expeditiously” to remove or disable access to that information as soon as they become aware of it.

The latest ruling, however, states exemption does not prevent online platforms from being ordered by national authorities to remove illegal information or disable access to it.

A statement on behalf of the ECJ also declared EU member states can order internet companies to block access to “information [deemed unlawful] worldwide within the framework of the relevant international law, and it is up to member states to take that law into account”.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... -eu-ruling

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Why WhatsApp is pushing back on NSO Group hacking

By Will Cathcart
Oct. 29, 2019 at 7:34 p.m. GMT+1
Will Cathcart is head of WhatsApp, which is owned by Facebook.

In May, WhatsApp announced that we had detected and blocked a new kind of cyberattack involving a vulnerability in our video-calling feature. A user would receive what appeared to be a video call, but this was not a normal call. After the phone rang, the attacker secretly transmitted malicious code in an effort to infect the victim’s phone with spyware. The person did not even have to answer the call.

Now, after months of investigation, we can say who was behind this attack. Today, we have filed a complaint in federal court that explains what happened and attributes the intrusion to an international technology company called NSO Group.

How can we say this with confidence? As we gathered the information that we lay out in our complaint, we learned that the attackers used servers and Internet-hosting services that were previously associated with NSO. In addition, as our complaint notes, we have tied certain WhatsApp accounts used during the attacks back to NSO. While their attack was highly sophisticated, their attempts to cover their tracks were not entirely successful.

There was another disturbing pattern to the attack, as our lawsuit explains. It targeted at least 100 human-rights defenders, journalists and other members of civil society across the world. This should serve as a wake-up call for technology companies, governments and all Internet users. Tools that enable surveillance into our private lives are being abused, and the proliferation of this technology into the hands of irresponsible companies and governments puts us all at risk.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... p-hacking/

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Ben Collins
@oneunderscore__
·
44m
New: Facebook has taken down over 600 accounts tied to the Epoch Times' parent company Epoch Media for coordinated inauthentic activity.

89 pages, 156 Groups, 72 Instagram accounts, focused on the U.S. & Vietnam. $9.5 mill. in ads.

The Epoch Times is a pro-Trump conspiracy site
Ben Collins
@oneunderscore__
·
41m
The most interesting part:

The Epoch Media pages pulled down by Facebook used identities created by artificial intelligence posing as Americans to push stories about “impeachment, conservative ideology, political candidates, elections, trade, family values, freedom of religion."
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Somerset

Post by Somerset »

Epoch Times is also the media outlet of Falun Gong.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Personally, I came to Facebook rather late, only joining a few years ago, mainly as a way to stay in touch with a group of people that Competitive disc dog sports.

Other than that, I do use it to keep in touch with a few relatives that I would not normally be able too, otherwise.

I have a neighbor in my condo complex. I’ve known her for many years as she has a son the same age as mine and they used to play together and were classmates at school. We do not socialize, and frankly I haven't physically seen her around in several years. She used to walk around the neighborhood, but not anymore.

She’s a nice enough person and all, but she suffers from mental health issues. For the past 20 years, her husband was successful at keeping her off the internet. (She is the type of person who seeks out and latches on to crackpot theories like anti-vax, Chemtrails and the like.)

Until now.

She is now on Facebook.

She ^commented* on an old post of mine from 2018 and sent a friend request.

the comment was just odd enough that it's clear that she still has issues.

Sigh....

I'm going to just ignore her for now, but I know she's not going away.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Chilidog: if you feel you would need to justify refusing your mentally chaotic neighbor's Facebook friend request, couldn't you say "oh sorry, this is for family and close friends only"?

Alternatively, if you accept, there is a setting where you can indicate that you don't want to unfriend her but you don't want to automatically see her posts. This doesn't affect what she sees and she are never informed that you have put her on "mute". She can still see your posts and "like" them, and probably comment too (I guess you'd see the comments). I'm not much of a Facebook person so I can't give you precise instructions, but I'm sure you can work it out … or someone more knowledgeable will supply the click-by-click steps!

If that isn't enough and she's soiling your page with nonsense, unfriend her. It's not as though you have punched her on the face or strangled her cat. Your duty of care to a neighbor does not extend to tolerating that. No need for an argument, just click the button.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

If I read the article correctly, a Ukrainian white hat discovered what would appear to be most if not all of the Facebook ID database on the dark web for sale. Several hundred million names, ID's etc up for sale.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:54 am
If I read the article correctly, a Ukrainian white hat discovered what would appear to be most if not all of the Facebook ID database on the dark web for sale. Several hundred million names, ID's etc up for sale.
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=6564&p=1139297#p1139297

Seems to be harvested data from the time where Facebook allowed apps to look for data, the Cambridge Analytica story.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Sam the Centipede wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:10 am
Chilidog: if you feel you would need to justify refusing your mentally chaotic neighbor's Facebook friend request, couldn't you say "oh sorry, this is for family and close friends only"?
Wont work. when I didn’t respond to her on Facebook, she came over today and knocked on my door. :madguy:

She looked awful and obviously mentally ill. As I understand it, her husband has moved out, leaving her 21 y/o son as her caretaker.

the whole thing is just sad.

Sam the Centipede

:( Sorry to hear that, Chilidog. 'Fraid is not a problem that can be solved by social media settings. How you should deal with the issue, I have no idea. :(

Lani

Post by Lani »

I have a private (or is it called closed?) Facebook account that only accepted friends & family can see and post on it. I almost never accept new friends. And from time to time I put some people on hold for a month - their posts won't show up on my account. Usually, because someone is in distress and posting too much personal information. Sometimes a person is flooding my pace with photos and comments - a trip, detailed photos and comments on dinner, the search for shoes, etc. They can't tell that I've temporarily hidden them from other friends, and I don't find a gazillion silly posts on my FB.

When people I know ask to friend them, almost all the time I tell them that I hate Facebook, it's evil and is stealing everything we post to sell to others who will manipulate the data to influence us. Unfortunately, FB's now so invasive that it's difficult to not use it, so I maintain a closed account for very limited purposes.

After hearing me rant about FB, they probably don't want to be FB friends with me any more anyway! :thumbs:
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

My main reason for keeping Facebook is it's the easiest way to keep in touch with my grandson in the service. I'm not sure of his political tendencies so I use the filter that blocks him from seeing 9/10 of my posts, but unblock him when I post cute puppy pictures or party photos. I also recently reconnected with a friend after a particularly ugly breakup over trump. She's since suffered a severe stroke and is paralyzed on one side, so that's in the past now. I also block her from my anti-trump rants.

I also use it to vent but I never surf. I may wander over to a specific friend's page to see what they're up to but I gave up scrolling years ago.

Many many years ago I helped organize a HS reunion and ended up with every crazy i went to school with as a "friend." There's been a few confrontations but I tell them if they don't like what I have to say, unfriend, unfollow and/or block me. Many have, even some that don't necessarily disagree with me but can't be bothered with boring things like politics. Others PM me to let me know they liked a post but they can't let their crazy family know they're democrats so they can't like or share. On the other hand, I have an army of friends who send me (PM) great tips, again, because they don't want their political views known for personal or professional reasons.

I deleted any personal info a long time ago. My bio consists of "old hippie."
ImageImageImage x4

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

When I moved here I used to go to local events to learn about the political situation in Raleigh. One of the best speakers I heard was the political editor of the local newspaper, Rob Christensen of the News & Observer.

Yesterday he requested that I be one of his friends on Facebook. I don't like Facebook. I despise Zuckerberg. But I have so many friends and family and Democratic activists on there. If I left, how would I keep in touch with all those people? :daydream:
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Sam the Centipede

Foggy wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:38 am
When I moved here I used to go to local events to learn about the political situation in Raleigh. One of the best speakers I heard was the political editor of the local newspaper, Rob Christensen of the News & Observer.

Yesterday he requested that I be one of his friends on Facebook. I don't like Facebook. I despise Zuckerberg. But I have so many friends and family and Democratic activists on there. If I left, how would I keep in touch with all those people? :daydream:
:think: Well, you could set up a forum where your friends and family and people with non-ultra-right-wing politics could post, perhaps? But that would never work, would it? :-D

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Sadly, no. I can't even get my wife, my children, or my father to join Fogbow.

It requires a certain kind of personality to be a member here. And we have read so many times that even people who really enjoy reading this forum are sometimes intimidated by all the smart people who post here.

I don't fully understand that, and to the degree that I do understand it, I don't like it. I think everyone has a contribution to make. I try hard to make the forum as un-intimidating as possible. I try to use self-deprecating humor. I point out that I don't know a ton of things that other people here know. I try to welcome new people, unless they're here to cause disruption. Even then, I try to be as tolerant as possible without allowing trolls to cause damage.

But my friends and family and Democratic activists on Facebook all know about Fogbow, and they're not going to join here. The local paper did a front page story about us in 2012, and I keep a copy of it to show them we're legit. It's unfortunate, but the plain fact is my Facebook people and my Fogbow people have very little crossover. I even ran a NCFreeForum.com site for a few years, but it died from inactivity.

I've spent a lot of time thinking about it, and I just can't walk away from Facebook, attractive though it appears. :|

I have to be content with telling myself that I never have given Facebook a nickel of my money, and if I see something advertised that I might want to purchase, I leave Facebook to find the product some other way. Best I can do for now. :violin:
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

I was one of those pretty intimidated people, but I was bound and determined I was going to claw my way in. I had so many questions. I know I asked a lot of stupid ones, (still do) but most people were very understanding and the ones that weren't aren't around so much any more.
ImageImageImage x4

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Facebook is building its own OS so to replace Android
9:22 am December 20, 2019 By Roland Hutchinson

Facebook is apparently working on its own operating system to replace Android, the new OS will be used in the companies own hardware.

This is devices like Oculus and also the Facebook Portal devices that currently use Android, Facebook wants to use it own operating system for these.

The new OS is been built by Mark Lucovsky who co wrote Windows NT, the company will keep its smartphone apps on Android, this new OS is just for their own hardware.

https://www.geeky-gadgets.com/facebook- ... 0-12-2019/

boots

Post by boots »

that there is something I will never buy.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

re: apps that send your info to FB on unrelated sites
Facebook has finally launched its “clear history” button … but it doesn’t delete anything

The news: Facebook has launched its “Off-Facebook Activity” tool, which lets users manage and delete the data that third-party apps and websites share with Facebook. It was originally called the “Clear History” button when it was announced in 2018, as the company came under fire for sharing millions of Americans’ personal data with political consultancy Cambridge Analytica.

A nasty shock: It’s worth going and seeing for yourself just how much data about you is being shared with Facebook. Here’s how to do it. I counted a grand total of 812 apps and websites sending data about me back to Facebook, from national newspapers to my local coffee shop. At this point, it feels safe to assume that most of the websites I’m visiting or apps I’m signing up to are probably sharing data on me with Facebook.

Not what it seems: Naturally, I pressed the button to clear the data from my account. But it’s a bit misleading—Facebook isn’t deleting any data from third-parties, it’s just de-linking it from its own data on you. It also doesn’t stop the third parties from sharing data with Facebook in the future. You have to go to a different section of your Facebook settings to do that.

The ugly truth: It feels deeply uncomfortable to see your data history laid out like this, but this sort of tracking across platforms isn’t exceptional. It’s how the advertising technology industry works. Whether it’s legal is another question.

https://www.technologyreview.com/f/6151 ... -anything/?

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Off-Facebook Activity is a Welcome but Incomplete Move
BY GENNIE GEBHARTJANUARY 28, 2020

Today Facebook announced the roll-out of its Off-Facebook Activity tool (initially introduced as “Clear History” nearly two years ago). The tools shows you a list of apps, websites, and businesses that Facebook knows you have visited through its business tools (including Facebook Login, Facebook’s tracking Pixel, social widgets such as Like and Share buttons, and other less visible features for developers). It also gives you options to “clear” or “disconnect” the identifiable information they have linked to your account. For more on how to use the setting, see our tutorial post.

This is a good step for Facebook to take, and we hope it pushes other companies who talk a big game about transparency to follow suit. If even Facebook can give people this level of transparency and control around a particular data stream, other adtech players should be able to get their act together.

That said, it's an incomplete measure, not least because we know that most users are unlikely to dig into and change their settings. In the U.S., for example, three-quarters of adults don’t even know that Facebook’s “ad preferences” page exists.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/01/f ... plete-move

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

from a newsletter in my email:
Facebook's new off-Facebook activity tool is troubling for two reasons

Facebook released a new "privacy" tool to manage your off-Facebook activity. What does that mean? Off-Facebook activity is anything a website or system that isn't Facebook, but uses a Facebook component like the Facebook pixel, a like button, inline commenting or anything that references the Facebook platform. It's all tracked and Facebook can see it all.

The idea of the tool is to give you the ability to manage this, but it is overwhelming how much data on you there is in there, and it's unwieldily to manage them individually.

The other thing is even if you do click "clear" and blow out all that data, it doesn't actually delete it from the Facebook system or the third-party entity. It just delinks it from your account.

Among the 417 apps and websites that have "shared your activity" were all manner of things I recognized, and a few I didn't. For example, something simply called "SMG", had 18 transactions of my activity, much higher than the rest which were 1, 2 or maybe 4 or 5 for sites I recognized as being regulars. SMG simply links to a Facebook page and from there to a website for a company called "Starcom Canada" which bills itself as "The Human Experience Company". Information on the website is scant, but it appears to be some sort of data analytics company.

Return to “Computers & Internet”