Facebook - general thread

RTH10260

Re: Facebook - general thread

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:21 pm

She Wrote The Patriot Act. Her Next Job Is With Facebook
Tyler Durden
Wed, 04/24/2019 - 23:15

Facebook announced Monday that Jennifer Newstead, a Trump appointee who served in the Department of Justice (DoJ) under President Bush, will join the social media company as General Counsel, supervising its global legal functions.

Newstead replaces Colin Stretch, who announced in 3Q18 that he will exit. Stretch will remain with Facebook through the transition phase, expected to be completed in the coming months.

"Jennifer is a seasoned leader whose global perspective and experience will help us fulfill our mission," said Sheryl Sandberg, Facebook’s Chief Operating Officer. "We are also truly grateful to Colin for his dedicated leadership and wise counsel over the past nine years. He has played a crucial role in some of our most important projects and has created a strong foundation for Jennifer to build upon."

Newstead brings a terrifying history of lobbying and legislating for an Orwellian style of mass electronic surveillance of Americans.
:snippity:
Facebook continues to process the National Security Agency (NSA) data demands, which have spiked in the last five years. The company's lawyers received more than 32,000 requests for data from law enforcement in the second 2H18, and 20,000 accounts were requested by the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) court over the same period.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-04- ... b-facebook

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue May 14, 2019 10:06 am

WhatsApp discovers 'targeted' surveillance attack
Dave Lee North America technology reporter

WhatsApp has 1.5bn users, but it believed the attacks were highly-targeted

Hackers were able to remotely install surveillance software on phones and other devices using a major vulnerability in messaging app WhatsApp, it has been confirmed.

WhatsApp, which is owned by Facebook, said the attack targeted a "select number" of users and was orchestrated by "an advanced cyber-actor".

A fix was rolled out on Friday.

On Monday, WhatsApp urged all of its 1.5 billion users to update their apps as an added precaution.

The surveillance software involved was developed by Israeli firm NSO Group, according to a report in the Financial Times.

Facebook first discovered the flaw in WhatsApp earlier in May.

WhatsApp promotes itself as a "secure" communications app because messages are end-to-end encrypted, meaning they should only be displayed in a legible form on the sender or recipient's device.

However, the surveillance software would have let an attacker read the messages on the target's device.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-48262681

Whip

Post by Whip » Tue May 14, 2019 5:43 pm

not sure what the surprise is. this has been going on for awhile. it's mentioned in this story from Feb.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90307864/u- ... py-mystery
The founders of Israeli spyware company NSO Group bought the firm back from U.S. private equity firm Francisco Partners, with support from Novalpina, a European private equity firm, and New York investment bank Jefferies Group. The sale follows a highly turbulent month for the controversial cyberweapons firm, whose powerful spyware, Pegasus–capable of taking over smartphones–has been used by a number of governments to target dissidents, journalists, and lawyers.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue May 28, 2019 11:26 pm

Facebook to Launch Cryptocurrency Globalcoin: 10 Interesting Things You Should Know About it
Facebook's cryptocurrency would enable its users to change dollars and other international currencies directly into its digital coins.
Trending DeskUpdated:May 27, 2019, 12:29 PM IST

A media report last week said that Facebook is planning to launch its own cryptocurrency, likely to be named GlobalCoin, as early as next year. The currency would initially be launched in just around a dozen countries and Facebook may start testing it by the end of this year. Here are 10 interesting things you should know about Facebook’s new digital payment system:

1) Facebook’s GlobalCoin is different from most other digital payments systems as consumers would likely be able to use the currency even if they don’t have a bank account, according to reports.

2) The currency would enable Facebook users to change dollars and other international currencies directly into its digital coins.

3) The GlobalCoin could then be used to buy things on the Internet and in other outlets, or even to transfer money to another user.

4) The possibility of money being sent through Whatsapp may become a reality soon with Facebook’s GlobalCoin. A news report last year had said that Facebook is working on a digital currency project that will allow users to transfer the cryptocurrency using mobile-messaging app WhatsApp. Even during Facebook’s developer conference last month, Mark Zuckerberg had said: “I believe it should be as easy to send money to someone as it is to send a photo.”

5) Facebook also has plans at paying users fractions of a coin for activities such as viewing ads and interacting with content related to online shopping, similar to loyalty schemes run by retailers.

https://www.news18.com/news/world/faceb ... 61121.html

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed May 29, 2019 3:56 pm

CROSSFIT, INC. SUSPENDS USE OF FACEBOOK AND ASSOCIATED PROPERTIES

ByCrossFit May 23, 2019

CrossFit is a contrarian physiological and nutrition prescription for improving fitness and health. It is contrarian because prevailing views of fitness, health, and nutrition are wrong and have unleashed a tsunami of chronic disease upon our friends, family, and communities. The voluntary CrossFit community of 15,000 affiliates and millions of individual adherents stands steadfastly and often alone against an unholy alliance of academia, government, and multinational food, beverage, and pharmaceutical companies.

CrossFit, Inc. defends relentlessly the right of its affiliates, trainers, and athletes to practice CrossFit, build voluntary CrossFit associations and businesses, and speak openly and freely about the ideas and principles that animate our views of exercise, nutrition, and health. This website—and, until recently, CrossFit’s Facebook and Instagram accounts—has long catalogued CrossFit’s tireless defense of its community against overreaching governments, malicious competitors, and corrupt academic organizations.

Recently, Facebook deleted without warning or explanation the Banting7DayMealPlan user group. The group has 1.65 million users who post testimonials and other information regarding the efficacy of a low-carbohydrate, high-fat diet. While the site has subsequently been reinstated (also without warning or explanation), Facebook’s action should give any serious person reason to pause, especially those of us engaged in activities contrary to prevailing opinion.

Facebook and its properties host and oversee a significant share of the marketplace of public thought. To millions of individuals and communities across the world, Facebook and its properties remain the platforms where ideas and information are exchanged. Facebook thus serves as a de facto authority over the public square, arbitrating a worldwide exchange of information as well as overseeing the security of the individuals and communities who entrust their ideas, work, and private data to this platform. This mandates a certain responsibility and assurance of good faith, transparency, and due process.

https://www.crossfit.com/battles/crossf ... -instagram
comment: I understand that the "Banting" regime can be considered quackery and may have been the reason to suspend the group.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:00 am

This young lady wants to be my friend on Facebook, like so many other young ladies do. And like those other ladies, she has no other friends, no other photos, no information on her timeline, no reason stated why she wants to friend me, no history on Facebook, nothing. Not even the country where she lives. Well, she does have a boob kitten, so there's that. You would think the Russian military would be a little more sophisticated in trying to rope me in, wouldn't you?
boobkitten.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
They say that on his deathbed, Voltaire, asked to renounce the devil, said, "This is no time to be making new enemies."

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:33 pm

Facebook will reportedly announce cryptocurrency this month, allowing employees to take it as salary

PUBLISHED WED, JUN 5 2019 3:58 PM EDTUPDATED THU, JUN 6 2019 6:36 PM EDT
Matt Rosoff

Facebook is announcing its cryptocurrency later this month, according to The Information.
The company is planning physical ATM-like machines where users can buy the currency, the report says.
Employees working on the project will be able to take their salary in the new currency.

Facebook will announce its cryptocurrency later this month, and will allow employees working on the project to take their salary in the form of the new currency, according to a report in The Information.

About a year ago, the company appointed former PayPal executive David Marcus to begin exploring opportunities with blockchain, the technological underpinning for cryptocurrency. Since then, several outlets have reported that the company has been building its own digital currency, which users will be able to store, trade, and exchange for regular currency, in part through Facebook apps including Messenger and WhatsApp. The report adds that Facebook is also planning physical ATM-like machines where users can buy the currency.

Building an easy way for Facebook’s more than 2 billion users to pay for things and exchange money between countries could help the company diversify beyond advertising, which today accounts for nearly all of its revenue. Facebook’s ad model has faced criticism from privacy advocates, lawmakers and the press for the ways it collects and uses detailed information about users.

CEO Mark Zuckerberg highlighted payments as an important area for the company at its conference for developers earlier this year. However, operating chief Sheryl Sandberg and CFO David Wehner have “been skeptical of the initiative internally,” The Information said.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/05/faceboo ... eport.html

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:49 am

Exodus: Brits Abandon Facebook As Usage Plummets

by Tyler Durden
Tue, 07/09/2019 - 04:15

Facebook activity among Britons has crashed by more than one third over the past 12 months, according to the analytics firm Mixpanel, first reported by The Daily Telegraph.

Since June 2018, several months after news of the Cambridge Analytica scandal was revealed, activity on Facebook's mobile app in the UK dropped 38% through June 2019.

User clicks on web links or adverts inside the Facebook app declined in seven of the last 12 months, with an average monthly drop of 2.6%.

The alternative data outlines an entirely different story from Mark Zuckerberg, the chief executive of Facebook, who recently said Europe's monthly active users continued to rise.

Investors have traditionally viewed the total number of users as a reliable metric of the social media company's health, but with millions of fake accounts, many have turned to alternative data that shows a mass exodus of users started in the UK.

Last July, $120 billion was wiped off Facebook's market value after it reported an unexpected drop in European users and shifted guidance about future growth lower.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-07- ... e-plummets

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:06 am

:violin:

The Facebook craze got away from Zuckerberg and his team. If you recall, FB, in it's infancy, was for college and university students to socially connect. Back then, you couldn't sign-up without a valid .edu email, and it was to some degree safer. What it morphed into, with all the monetizing and greed and privacy violations, is really sad.

I don't use FB -- never have. I do have a fake account (fake name, profile) to read content that requires a login.
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:52 am

I used Facebook intermittently for about 18 months. When the Cambridge Analytica news came out, I terminated my account. Facebook SUCKS! :rockon:
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: Helen Keller supported women’s suffrage and was a co-founder of the American Civil Liberties Union.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:01 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:52 am
I used Facebook intermittently for about 18 months. When the Cambridge Analytica news came out, I terminated my account. Facebook SUCKS! :rockon:
Unfortunately there is a good share of "I saw it on Facebook, so it must be true" users out there. Our society is going to hell in a handbasket. I'm not seeing an abundance of critical thinkers on Facebook.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:14 pm

I quit using Facebook because of the "news" and political advertisement. I valued it as a way to share what is happening with close, actual real friends, not people who I've never met who send me a friend request. I don't want or need news or political advertisement from Facebook, there are real sources elsewhere. I used Facebook to share photos,, send birthday greetings and say hello to friends who live too far away to regularly visit in person. But I got turned off during 2016 when I was seeing relatives pushing politically polarizing views. It no longer was enjoyable, when it became a platform for political arguments and misinformation.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:56 pm

I still use Facebook.

I just checked... I have a total of 50 friends. The majority are relatives. My siblings do not post anything political - we know we are a mix of liberal and conservative and avoid those discussions. A few of the other relatives who do post political items are liberal, but they only post those items occasionally . Most of the folks just share photos and family news and that's why I'm still on Facebook.

I do have a couple of Facebook friends who do post whack-a-doo conservative items. So I just change their settings so I'm no longer "Following" them. The means that I don't see what they post, but, if I want to, I can still go out to their timeline and check on what they're up to and see their latest photos.

Basically, Facebook is a tool which I control.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:06 pm

I have 404 friends, most of them activist Democrats here in North Cackilacki, but also relatives and members of Fogbow. Some of them don't post on the forum any more for whatever reason, and I would lose touch with them completely if I quit Facebook.

But I block all Facebook ads and have never given the company a nickel. I wish there was a functional alternative, but there isn't.
They say that on his deathbed, Voltaire, asked to renounce the devil, said, "This is no time to be making new enemies."

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:40 pm

I think about quitting, too. I have 24 friends, one of which is a dog (and one was a boat-now sold). I only have it to keep in touch with people I worked with on a now-defunct forum. They are all liberal as was the forum. I have a few other friends from travel and a little family. I un-followed a relative as he's an evangelical nut case. I have one other cousin who posts dumb right-wing political stuff, but I mostly ignore hers. I get no political ads and few, if any, other ads. I quickly stop any posts from any sources I'm not interested in. I get asked to add people as friends occasionally at social gatherings, and I always say I'm not very active and only have a small group of friends. I don't post much political on my page, but will "like" political posts by friends. Mostly, my feeds are travel related. I'm not on messenger and FB seems to have finally given up on bugging my about it. :pray:

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:57 pm

I saw where you friended a Republican, Foggy. I won't tell anyone.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

listeme

Post by listeme » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:02 pm

I use facebook a lot, happily. Almost all of my activity is in secret groups, besides the newsy updates of dogs and farm. We live way out in the boonies and work at home; I'm lucky to see humans other than Verbie once a week. No exaggeration.

Facebook offers connection, and I highly value that.

Ads schmads.
We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:29 pm

listeme wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:02 pm
I use facebook a lot, happily. Almost all of my activity is in secret groups, besides the newsy updates of dogs and farm. We live way out in the boonies and work at home; I'm lucky to see humans other than Verbie once a week. No exaggeration.

Facebook offers connection, and I highly value that.

Ads schmads.
She has hundreds of groups, some with just her. I’m taking lessons.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Shizzle Popped

Post by Shizzle Popped » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:47 pm

My wife has a degree in privacy law and the only reason I have a presence on Facebook is because my subdivision has a group that I need access to. Facebook is the arch enemy of privacy and I really want nothing to do with it.
If Trump was a stopped clock he still wouldn't be right twice a day.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:56 pm

I have very few friends, mostly online book readers like me and/or old chums from high school. Keep the profile private and most share pretty pics of mountains, etc. and/or kitteh pics. I avoid politics on the page, a couple of the old school chums are a bit too right leaning and I don't like the arguments that might ensue.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:25 pm

Instagram's lax privacy practices let a trusted partner track millions of users' physical locations, secretly save their stories, and flout its rules
Rob Price Aug. 7, 2019, 4:56 PM
  • A buzzy San Francisco startup has been secretly saving what appears to be millions of Instagram users' stories and tracking their locations.
    The marketing firm Hyp3r has been scraping huge quantities of data off the Facebook-owned app and using it to build up detailed profiles of people's movements and interests.
  • The situation highlights how Facebook is still struggling to protect users' data and oversee developers accessing its platform, more than a year after the Cambridge Analytica scandal revealed important privacy lapses.
  • Instagram has now issued Hyp3r a cease and desist, kicked it off its platform, and made changes to its platform to protect user data.
    Click here for more BI Prime stories.
A combination of configuration errors and lax oversight by Instagram allowed one of the social network's vetted advertising partners to misappropriate vast amounts of public user data and create detailed records of users' physical whereabouts, personal bios, and photos that were intended to vanish after 24 hours.

The profiles, which were scraped and stitched together by the San Francisco-based marketing firm Hyp3r, were a clear violation of Instagram's rules. But it all occurred under Instagram's nose for the past year by a firm that Instagram had blessed as one of its preferred "Facebook Marketing Partners."

On Wednesday, Instagram sent Hyp3r a cease-and-desist letter after being presented with Business Insider's findings and confirmed that the startup broke its rules.

"HYP3R's actions were not sanctioned and violate our policies. As a result, we've removed them from our platform. We've also made a product change that should help prevent other companies from scraping public location pages in this way," a spokesperson said in a statement.

The existence of the profiles is a stark indication that more than a year after revelations that Facebook users' data was exploited by Cambridge Analytica to fuel divisive political ad campaigns, Facebook's struggles in locking down users' personal information not only persist but also extend beyond the core Facebook app. Instagram, which is owned by Facebook but operated as a mostly separate business, has been largely insulated from the privacy backlash and scrutiny that has rocked its parent company.

But the wealth of the data contained in people's fleeting Instagram activity, from family-vacation snapshots to restaurant appetizer photos, can provide valuable fodder for a variety of outside actors, who can repurpose the information in ways users never expected or agreed to.

https://www.businessinsider.com/startup ... ons-2019-8

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:30 pm

Instagram ad partner secretly sucked up and tracked millions of users’ locations and stories
Devin Coldewey@techcrunch / 3 days ago

Hyp3r, an apparently trusted marketing partner of Facebook and Instagram, has been secretly collecting and storing location and other data on millions of users, against the policies of the social networks, Business Insider reported today. It’s hard to see how it could do this for years without intervention by the platforms except if the latter were either ignorant or complicit.

After BI informed Instagram, the company confirmed that Hyp3r (styled HYP3R) had violated its policies and has now been removed from the platform. In a statement to TechCrunch, a Facebook spokesperson confirmed the report, saying:

HYP3R’s actions were not sanctioned and violate our policies. As a result, we’ve removed them from our platform. We’ve also made a product change that should help prevent other companies from scraping public location pages in this way.

The company started several years ago as a platform via which advertisers could target users attending a given event, like a baseball game or concert. It used Instagram’s official API to hoover up data originally, the kind of data-gathering that has been happening for years by unsavory firms in tech, most infamously Cambridge Analytica.

The idea of getting an ad because you’re at a ball game isn’t so scary, but if the company maintains a persistent record not just of your exact locations, but objects in your photos and types of places you visit, in order to combine that with other demographics and build a detailed shadow profile… well, that’s a little scary. And so Hyp3r’s business model evolved.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/08/07/insta ... d-stories/

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:59 am

Facebook is reviewing hundreds of its official 'Facebook Marketing Partners' over Instagram data-scraping issues
Rob Price Aug. 23, 2019, 2:36 PM

Instagram is reviewing all of its hundreds of official marketing partners to ensure they're not scraping data.
The move comes after Business Insider discovered multiple companies were openly flouting Instagram's rules.
The Facebook-owned photo-sharing app is also going to invest in developing better data-scraping-detection tools.
Instagram has taken action against several of the violating companies and is investigating the others.

Facebook is launching a review of all its "Facebook Marketing Partners," a group of more than 600 marketing and advertising firms bearing the social network's official seal of approval, amid indications of widespread misuse of Instagram user data and other rule violations by third-party services.

Facebook, which owns the photo-sharing app Instagram, initiated the review after Business Insider identified multiple companies that appear to have flagrantly violated its rules for developers and companies that work on its platform.

These apparent violations included illicitly harvesting Instagram users' public data ("data scraping") without their consent and storing ordinary users' Instagram passwords, a major security risk.

The review is the latest sign that Instagram is not immune to the data issues that have bedeviled its $507 billion parent company, Facebook, which has been rocked by two years of constant scandals. Earlier in August, Business Insider discovered a buzzy San Francisco marketing startup, Hyp3r, was scraping millions of Instagram users' data, tracking their locations, and saving their story posts. Instagram had failed to notice Hyp3r's actions, which took advantage of a security vulnerability in its systems, and it had even blessed Hyp3r as an official Facebook Marketing Partner.

Business Insider has subsequently identified a number of other companies that seem to run afoul of Instagram's rules.

https://www.businessinsider.com/faceboo ... ing-2019-8

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:42 am

A huge database of Facebook users’ phone numbers found online
Zack Whittaker / 9:00 pm CEST • September 4, 2019

Hundreds of millions of phone numbers linked to Facebook accounts have been found online.

The exposed server contained more than 419 million records over several databases on users across geographies, including 133 million records on U.S.-based Facebook users, 18 million records of users in the U.K., and another with more than 50 million records on users in Vietnam.

But because the server wasn’t protected with a password, anyone could find and access the database.

Each record contained a user’s unique Facebook ID and the phone number listed on the account. A user’s Facebook ID is typically a long, unique and public number associated with their account, which can be easily used to discern an account’s username.

But phone numbers have not been public in more than a year since Facebook restricted access to users’ phone numbers.

TechCrunch verified a number of records in the database by matching a known Facebook user’s phone number against their listed Facebook ID. We also checked other records by matching phone numbers against Facebook’s own password reset feature, which can be used to partially reveal a user’s phone number linked to their account.

Some of the records also had the user’s name, gender and location by country.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/09/04/faceb ... s-exposed/
Note: above is the inital reporting. Other sources clarify that the numbers had been harvested prior to Facebooks April 2018 shutdown of a friend lookup feature by phone number. What remains unclear is weather this datadump was on Facebooks own servers or belonged to a third party.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:34 am

Check your profile settings - you may have to opt-out depending jurisdiction
Facebook brings face recognition to all users, discontinues 'Tag Suggestions'

(Reuters) - Facebook Inc is opening up its face recognition technology to all users with an option to opt out, the social media company said on Tuesday, as it discontinued a related feature called “Tag Suggestions.”

The old feature enabled users to choose whether Facebook could suggest that their friends tag them in photos, without giving them control over other uses of the technology.

The face recognition setting, available to some Facebook users since December 2017, has additional functions such as notifying account holders if their profile photo is used by someone else.

People who opt in to the new setting will still have tag suggestions automatically generated about them.

Facebook’s face recognition technology has been at the center of a privacy related lawsuit since 2015.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-face ... SKCN1VO2C7

Return to “Computers & Internet”