Fogbow Arts and Crafts Club

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Re: Fogbow Arts and Crafts Club

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Cute!
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

Jez

Post by Jez »

Until I can get my new(ish) sewing machine, here is what I'm working on:
Rose_Snowflake.jpg
It's a snowflake with a 3D Rosette in the middle. Found it a free pattern online and thought it was pretty. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

That is really pretty, Jez. Nice work!
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Nice! It reminds me of things my grandmother did.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Gorgeous. :lovestruck:
For more information, read it again.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

jmj

Post by jmj »

This is not my work, but I wanted to show off the new sweater that my lovely wife just knit for herself :lovestruck:

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Wow!

:clap:
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

That is fabulous!

Jez

Post by Jez »

Very nice! I never could get a handle on color work. That is absolutely lovely!
I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

Wow!
ImageImageImage x4

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

I don't think hot gluing a squirrel to a Christmas tree hat qualifies as crafting, but in my desperation to keep busy, I've already begun preparing some things for this year's Christmas party, themed National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.

Now if I could just afford to have a party every month, I'd be fine.
squirrel hat.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ImageImageImage x4

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

RVInit wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:15 pm
That is really pretty, Jez. Nice work!
Brava, Jez! Working with cotton thread and small steel crochet hooks is a challenge! This is beautiful!
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Attention Fogbow knitters and crocheters!!! A friend is going to send the information regarding knitting and crocheting pouches for the joeys in Australia - apparently there is a great need for these as there are babies that need care, feeding, and warmth.

Stand by - I will post the information about sizes, appropriate yarn types, free patterns, etc.
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

RVInit wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:06 pm
Attention Fogbow knitters and crocheters!!! A friend is going to send the information regarding knitting and crocheting pouches for the joeys in Australia - apparently there is a great need for these as there are babies that need care, feeding, and warmth.

Stand by - I will post the information about sizes, appropriate yarn types, free patterns, etc.
These are from my friend in Aus. She stressed making contact with an Aussie group that is accepting donations and only making what they need right now. The current need is for the joey pouches in L-XXL and the hanging pouches. Please, no koala mittens she pleads.

http://www.wiresnr.org/Helping.html
https://www.silketouchquilting.com/wild ... -patterns/

She says the first link is the organization she supports.

Knitting, sewing and crocheting patterns at the links.

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Thanks Sugar. My friend just said she would send me links tonight. Now, we don't have to wait! :bighug:
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

RVInit wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:13 pm
Thanks Sugar. My friend just said she would send me links tonight. Now, we don't have to wait! :bighug:
We have a whole contingent of Aussies in one of my music groups so I'm getting a ton of info and links and photos. We do a meet-up twice a year in NOLA and several of them have already cancelled due to the fires.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

I don't knit but my cousin knits like a boss and she's asked me to send her the info. Thanks RV!
ImageImageImage x4

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

My friend in Australia just sent this link and says they are doing a good job keeping it up to date with what's needed. They also have about a million patterns and specific materials for each project, all in one handy place!

https://www.facebook.com/pg/HeistJewell ... n__=-UCH-R

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

A heads up for anyone thinking about knitting for Australia.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I'm asking for advice. I am not a seamstress. I can sew on a button. I have hemmed up skirts and slacks. I enjoy counted cross stitch and Hardanger work. But that's about it.

That said, I am incredibly frustrated by the depth of the front pockets of my jeans. I can tell which of my jeans are newer because their pockets are annoyingly shallow. I figured that it can't be all that difficult to modify the pockets to make them deeper. I found this set of instructions online: Make Some Pocket Extenders for Your Pants. Could someone who sews take a look at their instructions and tell me if their advice is good or if it needs to be modified? Thanks!
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:05 pm
I'm asking for advice. I am not a seamstress. I can sew on a button. I have hemmed up skirts and slacks. I enjoy counted cross stitch and Hardanger work. But that's about it.

That said, I am incredibly frustrated by the depth of the front pockets of my jeans. I can tell which of my jeans are newer because their pockets are annoyingly shallow. I figured that it can't be all that difficult to modify the pockets to make them deeper. I found this set of instructions online: Make Some Pocket Extenders for Your Pants. Could someone who sews take a look at their instructions and tell me if their advice is good or if it needs to be modified? Thanks!
That's how I do mine. Just make sure the seams are on the outside of the pockets when you stitch them together.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

I do mine slightly differently, but I end up with a seam in the bottom of the pocket rather than a fold. But it’s easier, I think.

1. Cut the bottom fold off of the pocket. Unpick the side seams of each pocket about 3/4 to 1 inch up from the bottom. You need to open these seams a little bit to sew the pieces onto.

2. Cut two pieces for each pocket the same width as the original, and whatever length you want to add to the pocket (plus 1/2 inch seam allowance). You’ll have four extension pieces in total.

3. With the *insides* together, stitch one of each extension piece to the front and back of each pocket. (I usually use a1/4 seam allowance). I usually press both halves of the seam allowance to one side, then stitch the raw edges together using a finishing stitch (my machine has a built-in stitch for this purpose, but a zigzag stitch will do. This will keep your raw edges from fraying in the wash.

At the end of this step you’ll have elongated pockets, with the raw edges Of the added pieces to the outside, but they’ll be open at the lower sides and bottom.

4. Stitch the pockets around, Making sure to start your stitching over the original stitches, pivoting at the corners, and finish the raw edges as before.

A pocket with a seam at the bottom is weaker than a pocket with a fold, so I usually add another row of stitching in the seam allowance at the bottom edge.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

So, I’m sick. Low grade fever, aches, tightness in the chest... so I’ll be hanging around the house for awhile. But I have lots of fabric and a ton of time. So I made a backpack.
1B432723-141F-4DEE-AF9B-8C709733CC70.jpeg
9FD0C3EF-7CA2-43F6-A1F0-4086E213334A.jpeg
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Return to “The Lounge”