Fogbow Arts and Crafts Club

Sugar Magnolia

Re: Fogbow Arts and Crafts Club

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

384 is such an odd number to come up twice, but here are 384 for today. My non-sewing sister in law wants to help so she ties the elastic. This batch is going to the county jail and the state prison I think.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

:like:
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

My friend in NOLA sent this elastic to me. On the left is the full roll, on the right after 300 masks. Fortunately, she sent 4 rolls of it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kate520

Post by kate520 »

:lovestruck:

I’m getting ready to sew masks. Our NextDoor just put out a call. Yay! I can help too.

Sugar, why did the little bear on the grey mask bottom right abandon that ice cream sandwich half-eaten?!
DEFEND DEMOCRACY
Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Sugar Magnolia wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:53 pm 384 is such an odd number to come up twice, but here are 384 for today. My non-sewing sister in law wants to help so she ties the elastic. This batch is going to the county jail and the state prison I think.
384 is 3x2**7. Do you cut the pieces off the fabric width in units of 3 or 6?
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)
Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

kate520 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:23 pm
Sugar, why did the little bear on the grey mask bottom right abandon that ice cream sandwich half-eaten?!
It’s a hedgehog. Friend, not food.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)
kate520

Post by kate520 »

:lol: Why, so it is!
DEFEND DEMOCRACY
Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Whatever4 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:04 am
Sugar Magnolia wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:53 pm 384 is such an odd number to come up twice, but here are 384 for today. My non-sewing sister in law wants to help so she ties the elastic. This batch is going to the county jail and the state prison I think.
384 is 3x2**7. Do you cut the pieces off the fabric width in units of 3 or 6?
I just cut 6" strips from whatever I have, and get 4 10" pieces from each strip. The ones I send to friends and family (40-50 twice a week) might or might not be cut individually, depending on how much I like them to go to the trouble of picking out specific fabric for them.
Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Wondering where to buy fabric...
02B98844-DE95-4C23-9DF1-C44159C49FBF.jpeg
-- Sen. King (I-ME)
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

:rotflmao:
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson
AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

:rotflmao:
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Whatever4 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:29 pm Wondering where to buy fabric...

spoonflower.com
ZekeB
Location: The nuttiest congressional district of a nut job state.

Post by ZekeB »

Makes me wonder why I've seen not masks made of a woman's upper undergarment. You'd think it would already be preformed.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.
Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Sugar Magnolia wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:09 am
Whatever4 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:29 pm Wondering where to buy fabric...

spoonflower.com
:thumbs:

I made a mask for W2 last night, from SugarMag’s instructions. (He’s going out to interact with humans for the first time in a month, to buy parking lot fish.)

I had given away most of my quilting stash when we moved up from Boston, but I have linens and old men’s shirts for a different project. So a shirt plus a pillowcase plus a t-shirt. But I couldn’t find my iron. And I didn’t want to drag out the sewing machine because it hasn’t been run in 3 years and would need a good oiling. So hand-sewing, which I actually prefer. Added an unfolded paperclip through the top because the mask kept sliding down his nose.
D3942956-A0DB-4834-B222-261BEDE5FA21.jpeg
75D83357-16DA-4052-9578-3D2AD3DF9D76.jpeg
-- Sen. King (I-ME)
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

My sister-in-law has been making face masks and experimenting as she's learning. She commented that she tried shoe laces for ties and was surprised at how well they worked. The cloth ties moved on her hair while the shoe laces stayed in place.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America
AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

ZekeB wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:14 am Makes me wonder why I've seen not masks made of a woman's upper undergarment. You'd think it would already be preformed.
I've seen videos on the net on how to do this. A B cup is better than a D cup.
Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Are there preferred mask formats for people with glasses?
-- Sen. King (I-ME)
Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Whatever4 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:10 pm Are there preferred mask formats for people with glasses?
Wear it lower on your nose. People tend to put it at the bridge of the nose but that's not necessary. My husband can wear one without fogging his glasses by moving it down a bit.
ZekeB
Location: The nuttiest congressional district of a nut job state.

Post by ZekeB »

AndyinPA wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:32 pm [I've seen videos on the net on how to do this. A B cup is better than a D cup.
I've always thought so. :mrgreen:
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.
AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

ZekeB wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:19 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:32 pm [I've seen videos on the net on how to do this. A B cup is better than a D cup.

:dance:
WriteItDown

Post by WriteItDown »

The best way to handle the bridge of the nose is by sewing a pipe cleaner into a small tunnel you make over the top of the mask in the section which corresponds to the bridge of the nose. It,is important to close this area because if you don't, 🙊air can enter and escape pretty easily on each side of the nose.
Bloom where you're planted 🌷
Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

WriteItDown wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:50 pm The best way to handle the bridge of the nose is by sewing a pipe cleaner into a small tunnel you make over the top of the mask in the section which corresponds to the bridge of the nose. It,is important to close this area because if you don't, 🙊air can enter and escape pretty easily on each side of the nose.
Don't sew anything metal into the mask. If you must have a piece of wire at the nose (not important unless you are a healthcare worker or exposed to someone who has tested positive) it should be removable. Also, a pipe cleaner is not a good choice because the fibers are brittle and get breathed in when they shed.

I am seeing so many ways to make masks and materials to use for nose clips and filters and ear loops but none of that time and energy and supplies is necessary. Two layers of good quality woven (not tshirts) 100% cotton fabric filters out 80% of the virus. All of the other things people are doing to the masks is for their own peace of mind, not for any real added protection. Hospitals are throwing away homemade masks by the hundreds because people are putting filters in that haven't been tested (Fiberglass furnace filters? Really?) or can't be washed, that use ponytail holders for ear straps that are too short or cause latex allergies. All sorts of doodads to hold the ties that can't take the heat of an autoclave without disintegrating or melt or warp, nose clips made from everything from twist ties to coat hangers and paper clips. Metal anything pokes holes in the fabric, rusts from the constant washing and breaks from bending. People are using fusible interfacing even though the manufacturers say don't do it, we have no idea what breathing through it does to your lungs and that is not what our product was designed for. Masks patterns by the dozen have a seam down the front with directions to press the seam open before construction with no thought given to the fact that a pressed open seam makes big gaping holes (from the virus' perspective) right across the most critical area of protection.

I have gotten so frustrated with the mask making sites because they seem to ignore the ultimate use of the masks in favor of the "creative solutions" and who makes the fanciest masks. They completely miss the point when they are literally cutting open bungee cords for the rubber strips that may or may not be inside them. Even if they get a thousand strips of rubber from them, they are one-use masks at that point. Latex allergies and high heat render them useless. Meanwhile, someone has wasted time and materials to make it just for it to wind up in the garbage. Anything donated to a hospital with a nose clip or built in filter is either given to a visitor to let them deal with when they get home, or immediately tossed. All that pleating with templates or forks or seam rippers? Wasted time. Those are also given to people to take home, not used by staff. If the mask doesn't lie flat against the side or your face, at least to some degree, it's not helpful and is much worse than not having a nose clip because you move a lot more air from the sides than you do up. And don't even get me started on the folded masks with pockets for filters made from a single piece of fabric when every single nurse says one of the most critical things is to make the front and back of the mask different so you know which side goes against your face.

People seem to forget that the purpose of the masks is to keep YOUR germs to YOURSELF, not to keep other people's germs away from you. I'm not sure why that is such a hard concept to grasp. You don't need 95% filtration because you aren't actually trying to filter anything. You're simply trying to keep your own contamination (if you have any) contained.

OK, off my soapbox now, and my apologies to WriteItDown for using her post as a springboard for my rant. This is not directed at her at all, it's just the culmination of weeks of reading everything I can find, including the MSDSs on shit they're putting in masks, talking to people who are actually using them, and seeing what is being sent to hospitals and nursing homes and promptly thrown away. Or maybe it is from finding out today, when I delivered 300 more masks for the jails and prisons, that an inmate at the state prison died from the virus. I know in my head I can't sew 14,000 masks by myself, but I couldn't help but think if maybe I had made more, faster, he would have been protected.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

There is nothing wrong with sewing something metal in the mask if you make sure the ends are not sharp. I'm putting 20 GA copper wire in mine and have washed them over and over and have no problem whatsoever. None are busting through or tearing the fabric at all, they are encased in small pouch and sewn where they don't show through on either side. And everyone is asking if they have wire, they don't even want a mask without it.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage
Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

RVInit wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:48 pm There is nothing wrong with sewing something metal in the mask if you make sure the ends are not sharp. I'm putting 20 GA copper wire in mine and have washed them over and over and have no problem whatsoever. None are busting through or tearing the fabric at all, they are encased in small pouch and sewn where they don't show through on either side. And everyone is asking if they have wire, they don't even want a mask without it.
Are they going to individuals or hospitals?
Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

AndyinPA wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:40 pm
ZekeB wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:19 pm

:dance:
You done went and hurt my feelings!!! :crying:
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
August 26 was proclaimed Women's Equality Day in 1972 by Richard Nixon. August 26, 1920, was date the 19th Amendment was confirmed by the Secretary of State and became law.

Return to “The Lounge”