Fogbow Arts and Crafts Club

jmj

Re: Fogbow Arts and Crafts Club

Post by jmj »

Lovely quilt

Janny in Texas

Post by Janny in Texas »

I wonder if the market for these kind of crafts will ever get better. Younger people don't seem to be at all interested in antiques either -- they like things bare and simple. We keep our house as simple as possible -- knowing that none of our younger family members have any interest in our "stuff."

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Is sewing clothing an art? Is it a craft? I don’t know, but I just made a copy of my favorite Levi’s jacket that I took apart to use as a pattern before it disintegrated.

I used a thin corduroy I got for $2 per yard at the remnant table. I thought that was too thin, so I lined it with a fleece blanket from Walmart (about six bucks). Fifteen bucks for buttons from Amazon. The whole project came in at under $30.

Plus, I *finally* have a warm jacket with the correct sleeve length. I wanted the wrist bands to be the same size as the original, but I also like the really large sleeves for layering. So rather than try to calculate a new taper, I just added a few pleats in each sleeve.

There are lots of imperfections (so don’t look too closely!). But I made this for myself, not for sale, so I’m not really bothered by them. My automatic button hole feature isn’t working right so I had to do the button holes manually (they got better as I moved on).

I don’t usually sew clothes, just bags and quilts, so this was a fun project!
5083596C-F7CB-4A58-8940-E8D1F4D1A69B.jpeg
5F6F5D0C-431B-4A98-80F5-232B4C1F1EEB.jpeg
E55701E2-4344-460F-9D06-D24C10B42524.jpeg
EC898446-6D3B-4ABB-9F69-F85AC1D83BDC.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Art and craft. You taking orders? You had me at "correct sleeve length" .
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

The answer is YES, and you did an incredible job.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

Maybenaut wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:55 pm
Is sewing clothing an art? Is it a craft? I don’t know, but I just made a copy of my favorite Levi’s jacket that I took apart to use as a pattern before it disintegrated.

5083596C-F7CB-4A58-8940-E8D1F4D1A69B.jpeg5F6F5D0C-431B-4A98-80F5-232B4C1F1EEB.jpegE55701E2-4344-460F-9D06-D24C10B42524.jpegEC898446-6D3B-4ABB-9F69-F85AC1D83BDC.jpeg
LOVE it and absolutely! Don't even think of telling a former costumer clothing isn't art. I live for Halloween season.
ABBC3_SPOILER_SHOW
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ImageImageImage x4

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

:lol: Love that!!!
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Maybenaut wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:25 pm
Love it!!!!!
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:28 pm
Maybenaut wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:25 pm
Love it!!!!!
It's funnier this way.
ABBC3_SPOILER_SHOW
ImageImageImage x4

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

:rotflmao:

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

Oh. My. :swoon: :rotflmao:
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

Finished Goldie's zombie hunter outfit for the zombie party. I reused Chief Brody's rifle harness and added a few bullets.

ABBC3_SPOILER_SHOW
ImageImageImage x4

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Maybenaut wrote:
What are you doing with the old jacket?
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Whatever4 wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:56 pm
Maybenaut wrote:
What are you doing with the old jacket?
Keeping it. I ironed SF 101 (a fusible stabilizer) to the pieces so I can use it again.

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Slim Cognito wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:48 pm
Finished Goldie's zombie hunter outfit for the zombie party. I reused Chief Brody's rifle harness and added a few bullets.

ABBC3_SPOILER_SHOW
:lol: I love it! You are amazing. And Goldie is cuter than should be legal.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Jez

Post by Jez »

The quilting has begun. I will get pictures uploaded later, but I figured JoAnn's was having a fabric sale, I had a coupon for fabric even if it was sale price... so... 20 yards of vari-colored fabric later, I have started.

The original set up had a column per month or 30/31 days. looked okay, but was kinda wonky sized. So, I started with the size of a queen, figured out a new configuration (4 chunks of color, each with 3 columns), so, kind of a window pane effect. That allows me to actually make it 60x80 and not some off the wall size to accommodate 12+ columns with borders in between.

But, that leaves huge swaths that would be the same color, so I think I'm going to get some binding tape and just attach the strips I'm cutting to the tape, giving it about an 1/8 - 1/4 inch border. Probably will use a dark gray, since it's a neutral unobtrusive color. That will also allow for some spacing between each "day".

I still have one or two open spots per "pane". Was thinking of just getting some black fabric and writing the date of birth on it. If there is a second open spot, just leave it alone.

Was also considering breaking up the blocks of color with holiday fabric for whatever holiday it happens to be. For example: March 17: shamrocks or something. Easter bunnies, fourth of july fireworks, etc.

We'll see what I can find. Might just leave it and maybe write the holiday dates in fabric marker.
I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

Jez wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:56 pm
The quilting has begun. ...

Was also considering breaking up the blocks of color with holiday fabric for whatever holiday it happens to be. For example: March 17: shamrocks or something. Easter bunnies, fourth of july fireworks, etc.

We'll see what I can find. Might just leave it and maybe write the holiday dates in fabric marker.
I bought some St. Patrick’s Day fabric on the clearance table last summer dirt cheap. I really don’t think I’ll do anything with it. If you’d like it, it’s yours. DM me.
ImageImageImage x4

Jez

Post by Jez »

Slim Cognito wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:59 pm
Jez wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:56 pm
The quilting has begun. ...

I bought some St. Patrick’s Day fabric on the clearance table last summer dirt cheap. I really don’t think I’ll do anything with it. If you’d like it, it’s yours. DM me.
I appreciate the offer, but actually decided against it. I think I'll just go with what I have. :)

But thanks!
I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

Jez

Post by Jez »

Practice piece. And that is how I found out there is not a single ironing board in this place.

I cut a double fold bias tape in half and sewed a piece on each side. I like the look. It will definitely break up the large chunks of color.
test piece.jpg
Layout_Garda.jpg

~Khalil Gibran

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Can't wait to see it!

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:44 pm
Can't wait to see it!
:thumbs:

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Jez wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:33 pm
Practice piece. And that is how I found out there is not a single ironing board in this place.
I’ve used a thick towel on a table before. Plus pillow case if it’s too textured.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Jez

Post by Jez »

Made a total rookie mistake, and I know better, but the brain was in neutral apparently.

I cut the cloth, then washed the strips. Total unraveling mess of pieces of cloth. Got it all untangled and ironed out, but jeez... what a mess. Also, I totally didn't cut any orange strips. So, was able to wash the cloth BEFORE cutting it this time.

Some days I swear I forget to turn my brain on.

~Khalil Gibran

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Jez wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:16 pm
Made a total rookie mistake, and I know better, but the brain was in neutral apparently.

I cut the cloth, then washed the strips. Total unraveling mess of pieces of cloth. Got it all untangled and ironed out, but jeez... what a mess. Also, I totally didn't cut any orange strips. So, was able to wash the cloth BEFORE cutting it this time.

Re-measure all of your cut pieces before starting the stitching. Between the raveling and shrinkage, you may need to either adjust your strip size or re-cut some. Also, pre-washing takes out the sizing so you might consider using starch on the washed pieces.

Jez

Post by Jez »

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:19 pm
Jez wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:16 pm

Re-measure all of your cut pieces before starting the stitching. Between the raveling and shrinkage, you may need to either adjust your strip size or re-cut some. Also, pre-washing takes out the sizing so you might consider using starch on the washed pieces.
The strips did shrink a little, and with the unraveling I might have to adjust a little, but not much. I cut them with at least 1/2 inch leeway knowing I'd mess something up. So, the strips that are supposed to be 9" were cut at 9-1/2. Now they are around 9-1/4. I might resize to 8-1/2 anyway because of adding the binding strips between each one, which was not part of my original calculations. So, it works out. :)

And I have no starch. Guess I'll have to go get some. But I did manage to get an iron and a tabletop ironing pad.

~Khalil Gibran

Return to “The Lounge”