Fogbow woodworkers' club

Foggy

Fogbow woodworkers' club

Post by Foggy » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:24 am

I know of at least three of us, RoadScholar, woodworker, and the poor ol' rooster who everybody loves to kick around whenever they're bored or havin' a bad day.

If there are others, show us what you do.

Now, those who made it to Baltimore for the big meetup last month know that RoadScholar is a professional with about eleventy hundred machines and more expertise in his little finger than I have in my whole body. Also, his wood shop is about an acre in size; mine is in a two car garage, along with a million other things like a 14' sailboat, bicycles, lawnmower and yard tools, etc.

Which means that when RoadScholar moves from one machine to the next, he has to walk about 3 miles and gets all tuckered out, poor bunny. Whereas, in my shop all the tools are on rolling platforms. When I move from one machine to the next, I have to rearrange the whole area so as I have enough room to operate. Also, he makes money. I just putter. Mutter and putter. Sputter and mutter and putter.

Anyway, let's yap about the WOOD.
Any time my questions are all fully answered, I know I'm asking the wrong questions. - Bernard Samson

Patagoniagirl

Re: Fogbow woodworkers' club

Post by Patagoniagirl » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:35 am

I'm in. Novice, goofy take a carving knife to a found piece of wood IN. Whimsical IN. I make walking sticks, use old wood to create relief wall hangings and crap together things that are rustic and useful. Photos to follow if I get brave enough. Goody new thread Fogmeister.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:37 am

Ok. I am brave. I made this tressel (?) table (not to be confused with a Trussell) from some awesome wood salvaged during the remodel of my shack/house in Panama. I used only a hand saw, hammer and nails.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:40 am

Does Road Scholar still have all his fingers? Inquiring Fogbowzer wants to know.

(I quit woodshop because, like playing the piano, it required some dexterity Jeebus did not gift me with. Luckily, I came away with all of my fingers, only one of which got mangled -- middle, left.)

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:45 am

The most talented carpenter I even knew had three fingers and a thumb on each hand. By the time he did some work for us he had stopped drinking. :mrgreen:

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:05 am

That trestle table is awesome, P-girl. You go. I am VERY careful about thumbs and fingers.

Here's a few scenes from my shop this morning. I'm building a slab out of 2 x 4s, that will be a tabletop for some tools that are cluttering one of my benches at present. It will be a rolling cart, so it will be mobile. In the background, my main tool chest. Bandsaw on the right. Table saw has the beginnings of the cart the slab will be on. Towel to the left of the slab, I'm about to turn it over and apply clear finish to the bottom.

Rolling cart, with sheet goods in the back, board stock in the slots. Also an 8' folding table, crosscut sled, some clamps.

Bicycle is pulled out of the way with bungees so I can walk under it. Main tool chest is now closed (yellow warning stripes are infinitely more subtle than a big sign that says "NO GIRLS ALLOWED" :P ). Under the tool chest covered in towels for protection is an 8" jointer.

Another view of the slab. The racks against the back wall between the garage door and door to the outside are paints, thinners, woodstains, glues, like that. Router table beneath the racks. And see the window fan to the left of the towel on my workbench?

Top view of the fan. It pulls air through two air filters to keep the ambient dust level down. Slide the filters out to replace them.

Router table, on wheels of course. Still haven't installed that t-track, but the laminated surface is dead flat. Electric chainsaw on the bottom shelf.

Things that roll around: 18" bandsaw, table saw, router table, the jointer, the sheet goods cart (and soon, my table with the drill press, belt sander, grinder, and metalworking vise).
Any time my questions are all fully answered, I know I'm asking the wrong questions. - Bernard Samson

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:13 am

Here's a thing I builded recently.

This metal rack over the toilet in the boys' bathroom had rusted legs. You'll be able to figure out how the legs got wet from young boys using the potty, lo these many years ago.

So this thing has laminated shelves, pine legs, and red oak facing on the shelves. It's got 3 coats of spar urethane to prevent damage by moisture.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:22 am

Why have you confused a woodshop with a garage, Foogie?

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:26 am

It's the garage that's confused, not me. :blink:

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:45 am

Maybesaux went out of town for a week last year and left me alone at the cabin with Maybedog. My plan was to do actual, like, work work, but I decided what I really needed was a picnic table. I texted the picture to Maybesaux who asked, "How'd you get it out of the truck?" "One board at a time," I said. I built this the first day, then got sick and didn't actually get any real work done.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Piffle

Post by Piffle » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:49 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:Does Road Scholar still have all his fingers? Inquiring Fogbowzer wants to know.

(I quit woodshop because, like playing the piano, it required some dexterity Jeebus did not gift me with. Luckily, I came away with all of my fingers, only one of which got mangled -- middle, left.)
Ah hah! So that explains why you're leading with your right in your avatar.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:02 pm

The depth of the Bowzer talents never ceases to amaze me.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:03 pm

Maybesaux is the real wood-worker in the family. He made me an office out of cherry (this room had plain white walls originally).
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:15 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:Does Road Scholar still have all his fingers? Inquiring Fogbowzer wants to know.

Mangled one very early as an employee; was still drinking, but probly didn't contribute much to the incident. So ~9-3/4 fingers.

Close calls, includng a couple that might have been fatal, in first 15 years.

I've given depositions in a few injury lawsuits, based on my experiences and hundreds of reports from fellow craftsfolk.

P.S. Never sued anybody.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:23 pm

I gotta finish this table this week; a week from today we'll be at the beach for a week. Then on July 26 I'm getting knee replacement surgery on my left leg, and I don't know how long I'll be out from that.

The pressure! :lol:

Piffle

Post by Piffle » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:34 pm

FWIW, I've been building stuff and fixing stuff -- both wood and metal -- since I can remember. The standalone heated workshop at my previous house in Virginia was a major reason I bought that house and when I transferred the flag full-time to Maine, the first thing I did was build a 20' x 32' outbuilding. This pic is 4 -5 years old when the building wasn't quite complete:

It has two lofts (one at either end); one is used to store lumber, wooden jigs, etc., and the other is for my supply of "good junk". (Good junk, as contrasted from junkis vulgaris, is especially essential for metal working projects.)

At the far end (ground floor :-D ) is my inner sanctum -- a 12 x 20 room with extra insulation and electric baseboard heat so I can use my shop in the wintah. During the cold months I keep the inner shop room at 40 degrees so paint and similar products won't freeze and turn up the heat when I'm actually doing something. That room is mostly a wood-working shop housing my table saw, band saw, drill press and joiner. The larger 20 x 20' unheated room contains my thickness planer, miter saw, portable forge, anvil, welder and automotive tools.

Maybe I'll find the energy to take some snapshots of furniture I've made.

Piffle

Post by Piffle » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:36 pm

Maybenaut wrote:Maybesaux is the real wood-worker in the family. He made me an office out of cherry (this room had plain white walls originally).<vidsnip>
That room looks gorgeous! Hats off to Maybesaux.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:42 pm

:yeah:
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:10 pm

Whadda Day! Grandson just came back from a wandering around the neighborhood on trash Sunday with this treasure! It works! A new wood fanatic in training.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:18 pm

Patagoniagirl wrote:Whadda Day! Grandson just came back from a wandering around the neighborhood on trash Sunday with this treasure! It works! A new wood fanatic in training.
:thumbs:

kate520

Re: Fogbow woodworkers' Club

Post by kate520 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:22 pm

Yay! An inspiration thread!

PGirl, love that trestle table! Girl, you have all kinds of hidden talents!

I've always loved wood and never took the opportunity to indulge. Except once, I went to a lumber store and got a bunch of hard wood scraps, sanded and glued the hell out of them. Made a cutting board. We used it on river trips for about ten years and it got kinda warped. Now it's more of a vegetable slide. :mrgreen:

My summer goal is more a building project than a woodworking project, but it involves wood. I'm making a screened catio for the backside of the house. It will wrap around the house from the back porch to the second bedroom. I have to figure out how to incorporate the camellias, and make a door. I'm going to use untreated cedar for the frame and cat loungers. Suggestions, plans are most welcome!
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:34 pm

Patagoniagirl wrote:I'm in. Novice, goofy take a carving knife to a found piece of wood IN. Whimsical IN. I make walking sticks, use old wood to create relief wall hangings and crap together things that are rustic and useful. Photos to follow if I get brave enough. Goody new thread Fogmeister.

These guys make great carving knives.

http://www.capeforge.com

I recommend them.

You can also find some nice old carving chisels on-ebay, just be sure you aren't getting a wood turning gouge.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:40 pm

Unfortunately It's been a few years since I did any serious woodworking.

Foggy, your garage is so ROOMY.

I have a one car garage filled with stuff. There's a nice able saw back in there somewhere. :shock:

On a related note, I'm remodeling my bathroom and my Tile Saw just stopped working. GRRRRRR. :evil:

it's not that old. I'm almost done any it will probably be easier to just rent a saw for a day or two.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:43 pm

Piffle wrote:Maybe I'll find the energy to take some snapshots of furniture I've made.
I suppose we could allow you to post photos of your metalworking projects, too. Por favor.

That wouldn't be a threadjack because you make 'em in the same shop. :blink:

That cherry office is awesome, and I like the picnic table too. :clap:

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:44 pm

Never mind the power tools, What kind of hand tools do you have?

I have a nice bedrock smooth plane, a Stanley jointing plane, and a half dozen smaller planes, including a nice Stanley rabbit plane, and a maple block plane

I also have a collection of flooring saws that I inherited from my Great Grandfather. He was a carpenter who built houses on Chicago's South Side

Return to “The Lounge”