Horses! and other beloved 'farm' animals

Dallasite
Location: About 40,000 light years from the center of the Milky Way Galaxy.
Chemtrails Program
Human Factors and Behavioral Sciences Division

Re: Horses! and other beloved 'farm' animals

Post by Dallasite »

Sorry to interrupt y'all's equestrian discussion, but I have to introduce the newest additions to my farm:

"I drank what?!?!" - Soctates, 399 BC

Plutodog

Post by Plutodog »

Dallasite wrote:Sorry to interrupt y'all's equestrian discussion, but I have to introduce the newest additions to my farm:

Cool!
Breakfast, Lunch &

Sunday Dinner!
The only good Bundy is an Al Bundy.

Dallasite
Chemtrails Program

Post by Dallasite »

Exactly, Plutodog! The two males (the two on the right) will be raised for slaughter, but we're keeping the female (on the left) for breeding our next litter.

Plutodog

Post by Plutodog »

Dallasite wrote:Exactly, Plutodog! The two males (the two on the right) will be raised for slaughter, but we're keeping the female (on the left) for breeding our next litter.
Prudent! I likes that!
The only good Bundy is an Al Bundy.

Azastan

Post by Azastan »

Dallasite wrote:Exactly, Plutodog! The two males (the two on the right) will be raised for slaughter, but we're keeping the female (on the left) for breeding our next litter.
Do you normally get pigs at this time of the year to raise? Everyone around here who raises pigs get them in the spring, and butcher them about now.

What breed are they?

Dallasite
Chemtrails Program

Post by Dallasite »

They are Berkshires. These are actually the first pigs I've raised since I was in my teens. Mine of my older sisters was in FFA and raised pigs for show and slaughter. I loved helping her with them. She raised Durocs and Yorkshires. When we moved out of Dallas a few years ago I was excited to finally be able to have some farm animals again. My son wanted a cow, but knowing I would likely be the main caretaker, I decided on pigs. I wasn't sure what breed I wanted, other than any but Durocs. They are mean!

I decided on Berkshires for several reasons. I really like the idea of continuing a heritage breed. The meat is arguably the best tasting of all swine. They don't grow as large as many breeds. They are probably the friendliest of all pigs. And the dark skin doesn't sunburn as easily as lighter-skinned breeds (important here in Texas).

I was actually surprised to find piglets available this time of year as most farmers do breed to farrow in spring. I've been looking for several months, since I got the pen set up, but was resigned to wait until spring. With our winters usually relatively mild and not really starting until after the first of the year, my new additions should have no problems growing enough to to take on the colder weather when it arrives.

Azastan

Post by Azastan »

Dallasite wrote:They are Berkshires. These are actually the first pigs I've raised since I was in my teens. Mine of my older sisters was in FFA and raised pigs for show and slaughter. I loved helping her with them. She raised Durocs and Yorkshires. When we moved out of Dallas a few years ago I was excited to finally be able to have some farm animals again. My son wanted a cow, but knowing I would likely be the main caretaker, I decided on pigs. I wasn't sure what breed I wanted, other than any but Durocs. They are mean!

I decided on Berkshires for several reasons. I really like the idea of continuing a heritage breed. The meat is arguably the best tasting of all swine. They don't grow as large as many breeds. They are probably the friendliest of all pigs. And the dark skin doesn't sunburn as easily as lighter-skinned breeds (important here in Texas).

I was actually surprised to find piglets available this time of year as most farmers do breed to farrow in spring. I've been looking for several months, since I got the pen set up, but was resigned to wait until spring. With our winters usually relatively mild and not really starting until after the first of the year, my new additions should have no problems growing enough to to take on the colder weather when it arrives.
I had friends who decided to raise Red Wattles this year. Meat is ok, but VERY fatty. I don't know if it was because they tried to rush getting them up to weight for slaughter, but I honestly was not very impressed.

I wouldn't get Durocs either--everyone says they are not pleasant to have around.

Dallasite
Chemtrails Program

Post by Dallasite »

Red Wattle meat shouldn't be that fatty. They aren't a lard breed. Must have been a dietary problem. My plan is to have the boys ready for slaughter in 9 months. A bit longer than typical, but Berkshires develop more slowly than average and I want to take my time. I'm not in a hurry to get the meat in the freezer.

Azastan

Post by Azastan »

Dallasite wrote:Red Wattle meat shouldn't be that fatty. They aren't a lard breed. Must have been a dietary problem. My plan is to have the boys ready for slaughter in 9 months. A bit longer than typical, but Berkshires develop more slowly than average and I want to take my time. I'm not in a hurry to get the meat in the freezer.
I think the 'farmers' must have been getting tired of the pigs breaking out of their pen, because I think they acquired the barrows in March of this year, and slaughtered in August.

I do think they weren't being fed correctly. Mostly though, I think the Red Wattles are normally on pasture for several months, and these were not.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

[liveleak]ed9f67527363[/liveleak]

Azastan

Post by Azastan »

That is hilarious!

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

To go to sleep some count sheep, others count...

Tuscany, Italy, Maremmano horse

[liveleak]a35835b79500[/liveleak]

tek

Post by tek »

holiday Chester
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's no way back
from there to here

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Wow, he's even got a placemat on his back! :P
For more information, read it again.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Azastan

Post by Azastan »

tek wrote:holiday Chester
Is the bridle a present for him?

Foggy, that's a great thought, but he's a bit tall to be a table.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

What a lovely, happy looking animal.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Dallasite
Chemtrails Program

Post by Dallasite »

Horses are such beautiful animals.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Another animal rescue; this time, "a horse".
A horse trapped in eight feet of snow in Valley County, Idaho was presumed to have only another day or so to live. The county Sheriff and some snowmobilers worked together to perform a timely extraction. Altitude=7700 feet. (The horse is now doing fine)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tckDpUyxcI

Azastan

Post by Azastan »

There was at least one other horse that also got rescued at the same time. They were very fortunate.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

I don't mean to be a cold shoulder, but horses often rescued from such perilous situations die in the next few days. I worked really hard about 5-6 years ago to rescue a horse trapped in a reservoir. The horse couldn't scale the walls as they were cement and at a sharp angle. The horse eventually collapsed from exhaustion. A group of us got in the water, put a horse blanket under the horse, set up a pulley attached to a pick up truck and carefully and slowly hauled him out.

He seemed to have recovered, but three days later he died. Probably of a delayed heart attack. I asked after the horse and spoke to the treating vet. She told me it happened a lot.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

I wonder whether the lower temperature would help or hurt the outcome.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Azastan

Post by Azastan »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:I don't mean to be a cold shoulder, but horses often rescued from such perilous situations die in the next few days. I worked really hard about 5-6 years ago to rescue a horse trapped in a reservoir. The horse couldn't scale the walls as they were cement and at a sharp angle. The horse eventually collapsed from exhaustion. A group of us got in the water, put a horse blanket under the horse, set up a pulley attached to a pick up truck and carefully and slowly hauled him out.

He seemed to have recovered, but three days later he died. Probably of a delayed heart attack. I asked after the horse and spoke to the treating vet. She told me it happened a lot.
I haven't seen any reports about either rescued horse dying, so I'm hoping that they are both indeed recovering. This was covered extensively in the local horse FB pages, so there would be a lot of follow-up interest.

That's a shame about the horse you tried to help.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

And all I can think of is that poor horse trying to explain to his buddies how he levitated over the tree tops. "OMG guys, you'll never believe this!"

Azastan

Post by Azastan »

Sugar Magnolia wrote:And all I can think of is that poor horse trying to explain to his buddies how he levitated over the tree tops. "OMG guys, you'll never believe this!"
I admit I was thinking about how weird it would be for the horse if he woke up in mid-air. I know that he was sedated, and I believe that he was also blindfolded. I wanted to see a video on the receiving end, too!

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

Wow.
Old Pics Archive @oldpicsarchive
Soldiers pay tribute to 8 million horses who died during the First World War. 1915 http://bit.ly/2kkIGVn
1:22 AM - 8 Feb 2017
Hey! Don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: From Not To Hot -- Family Crisis!" Fri 9/8c. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS

Return to “The Lounge”