Horses! and other beloved 'farm' animals

RoadScholar

Re: Horses! and other beloved 'farm' animals

Post by RoadScholar »

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Azastan

Post by Azastan »

I had a custom sign made which states that 'These animals are not dead. They are sleeping'.

It's amazing how many people will stop and let you know that your horse is dead.

This was my version of 'Close Encounters'.
'dead'horses.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR »

The horse stalls that I have seen in central Texas do not seem large enough to allow a horse to lie down to sleep like this. Because of that, I had assumed that horses sleep standing. Of course, I don't recall being near a horse when it might be sleeping at night. When I was around horses on the ranch during the day, they were working.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Azastan

Post by Azastan »

TollandRCR wrote:The horse stalls that I have seen in central Texas do not seem large enough to allow a horse to lie down to sleep like this. Because of that, I had assumed that horses sleep standing. Of course, I don't recall being near a horse when it might be sleeping at night. When I was around horses on the ranch during the day, they were working.
Horses can indeed sleep standing up, but in order to get deep sleep, they need to lie down. Horses don't need much REM sleep, and they don't necessarily need to have REM sleep every day. I had one mare who had very bad arthritis and died of a heart attack. My vet and I came to the conclusion that the heart attack was triggered by her inability to lie down and get her REM sleep.

tek

Post by tek »

From my daughter on seeing that post/pic:
Pretty much every Saturday I'm at the farm alone and someone comes to tell me the horses are dead.
And I'm like "no, they're just really lazy"
There's no way back
from there to here

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Relaxed horses sleep lying down. And horses that know you allow you to approach them while lying down. The horses I bred and trained used to let me come over to them and nuzzle them like big dogs. But when a horse decides to get up you have to get out of the way. Or else.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR »

Is it cruelty to keep a horse in a standard horse stall? I have acquaintances who own horses that are kept in such stalls (but allowed to run free sometimes).
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Azastan

Post by Azastan »

TollandRCR wrote:Is it cruelty to keep a horse in a standard horse stall? I have acquaintances who own horses that are kept in such stalls (but allowed to run free sometimes).
As always, there's different thoughts on the subject. My horses are stalled in the evening, and either get turned out onto pasture (weather permitting), or have access to a small turnout that is about 40 feet x 50 feet. They get ridden at least twice a week.

If you are going to keep a horse in a stall most of the time, you should be riding it almost every day so they don't get bored.

phelana

Post by phelana »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:Relaxed horses sleep lying down. And horses that know you allow you to approach them while lying down. The horses I bred and trained used to let me come over to them and nuzzle them like big dogs. But when a horse decides to get up you have to get out of the way. Or else.
Or get on. That's how we used to get on Dad's roping horses out in the pasture. I'm sure their thoughts were something along the lines of 'those meddling kids!'
Beatrice: Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more. Men were deceivers ever. One foot in sea and one on shore, to one thing constant never. Then sigh not so but let them go and be you blithe and bonny, converting all your sounds of woe into hey nonny nonny.

Boxley

Post by Boxley »

I am a newbie here on fogbow. Is this how you do it?

Azastan

Post by Azastan »

Good job! Now, it would be even better if those were your horses, being driven by you :think: .

Sterngard Friegen

I've driven a team of two, which I owned. (Sister and brother.) It's 4 times more complicated than driving one. So 4 on a chariot, and not in tandem, has to be mind boggingly hard.

Azastan

Post by Azastan »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:I've driven a team of two, which I owned. (Sister and brother.) It's 4 times more complicated than driving one. So 4 on a chariot, and not in tandem, has to be mind boggingly hard.
I was looking at YouTube videos on learning how to drive a chariot.

:eek2:

Sterngard Friegen

Speaking of pushing yourself to the limit, tell me about the chariot race. You already knew how to ride a horse coming in to this, but that’s nothing like driving four of them.
I was very comfortable and confident with horses; I could ride like I could walk. I thought that would give me a leg-up. But nothing really prepares you for a chariot — four horses and the end of your rein. There’s a reason why we still refer to the power of cars as “horse-power.” It’s like something you’ve never felt before. And the horses loved it. They just want to run. They’re basically racing each other. They don’t even know they’ve got a 150-pound person behind them.

How long did it take you to feel like a pro?
We had about three and a half months of training, which starts with a seated car, then you progress to two horses, and finally four. It’s quite a rigorous process. The first day you’re convinced you’re going to die. Then the second day, funnily enough, it sort of becomes addictive. You don’t think about anything when you’re on that chariot, going around the track at full speed. When you’re really tearing it, you are literally only focusing on the job at hand. You don’t question yourself; you’re not in that constant battle for your life. It’s rather meditative. It’s liberating to be free of one’s ways.
http://www.metro.us/entertainment/jack- ... Ki0eQkrSo/

:shock:

phelana

Post by phelana »

Boxley wrote:I am a newbie here on fogbow. Is this how you do it?

That image reminds me the chariot race in Hooper and what he wasn't wearing. :)
Beatrice: Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more. Men were deceivers ever. One foot in sea and one on shore, to one thing constant never. Then sigh not so but let them go and be you blithe and bonny, converting all your sounds of woe into hey nonny nonny.

Plutodog

Post by Plutodog »

The only good Bundy is an Al Bundy.

Azastan

Post by Azastan »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Just imagine trying to learn how to do that if you weren't already comfortable around horses.

:eek2:

Boxley

Post by Boxley »

Oops. Caught. Those horses are owned by a dear friend who is driving them in preparation for a chariot scene in The Hunger Games. I just love the smiley face.

We share the passion for driving horses and have crossed the US with them.

Chariot racing is easy compared to what we do.

I can't take pictures while I am driving but have a picture of what I did to a carriage after a rough go.

Retired Wildlife Biologist. I drive a sharp, fast Morgan put to a marathon carriage.

Sterngard Friegen

:shock: :swoon:

Azastan

Post by Azastan »

Boxley wrote:Oops. Caught. Those horses are owned by a dear friend who is driving them in preparation for a chariot scene in The Hunger Games. I just love the smiley face.

We share the passion for driving horses and have crossed the US with them.

Chariot racing is easy compared to what we do.

I can't take pictures while I am driving but have a picture of what I did to a carriage after a rough go.

:notworthy:

That. Is. Very. Cool.

(that you drive horses, that is--the carriage looks a bit worse for wear).

tek

Post by tek »

from my daughter wrt the hurricane:

she:: a friend of mine has 12 horses in north apopka… she is apparently staying put
me:: not sure how you could haul out 12 horses and your stuff on short notice..
she:: they basically couldn't...
There's no way back
from there to here

HumbleScribe

Post by HumbleScribe »

I just stumbled upon this thread a few moments ago. I am really, really pleased the compassion and care that you horse owners have for your equine family members. Horses are such graceful and beautiful creatures. (But then, I am a sucker for any animal--my wife and I canceled our pesticide service twenty years ago and decided to let nature take its course. Insects are not a problem for us in our urban home. The spiders, amphibians, bats and many different birds keep the insects to a manageable level.)

Anyway, my only contribution to this thread is that I am very afraid of horses. They scare the living beejesus out of me. When I was about 8 or 9 at summer camp we rode bareback along a dusty, undulating trail, and I fell off only to have one of the hooves glance off my head. Ow! Several years later as a teenager, I got back on a horse (with a saddle this time!) and rode loped on open ground. Well, after 10-15 minutes I thought I was getting my equine legs back when something happened to make that horse bolt like the gate had opened at Santa Anita. One of the attendants saw what was happening to me, rode up along side and calmed the horse down. I walked back to the stables.

Yak Canutt probably would have laughed! :mrgreen:

Azastan

Post by Azastan »

HumbleScribe wrote:I just stumbled upon this thread a few moments ago. I am really, really pleased the compassion and care that you horse owners have for your equine family members. Horses are such graceful and beautiful creatures. (But then, I am a sucker for any animal--my wife and I canceled our pesticide service twenty years ago and decided to let nature take its course. Insects are not a problem for us in our urban home. The spiders, amphibians, bats and many different birds keep the insects to a manageable level.)

Anyway, my only contribution to this thread is that I am very afraid of horses. They scare the living beejesus out of me. When I was about 8 or 9 at summer camp we rode bareback along a dusty, undulating trail, and I fell off only to have one of the hooves glance off my head. Ow! Several years later as a teenager, I got back on a horse (with a saddle this time!) and rode loped on open ground. Well, after 10-15 minutes I thought I was getting my equine legs back when something happened to make that horse bolt like the gate had opened at Santa Anita. One of the attendants saw what was happening to me, rode up along side and calmed the horse down. I walked back to the stables.

Yak Canutt probably would have laughed! :mrgreen:

My spouse was deathly afraid of horses until he got used to my herd. He'd gotten clouted on the head by his uncle's mare when he was a lad (a bit of mischief there, with him being in a place where he was not supposed to be, so he never told anyone until he confessed to me). He thinks they are quite brilliant, now :lol: .
tek wrote:from my daughter wrt the hurricane:

she:: a friend of mine has 12 horses in north apopka… she is apparently staying put
me:: not sure how you could haul out 12 horses and your stuff on short notice..
she:: they basically couldn't...
I have a friend in Florida who started preparing as soon as it was confirmed that Hurricane Matthew was heading her way. She removed her horses to her trainer's place, which is apparently just outside the projected path of the storm. She took her hair clippers to them and clipped her phone number into their backs, 'just in case'.

PS, HumbleScribe, you get bonus points for tying in Yak Canutt with our thread! Yak was the person who trained Charlton Heston and Stephen Boyd to perform the chariot racing in the 1959 version of Ben-Hur.

Burn'em Down

Post by Burn'em Down »

Humblescribe

I married into the horse thing, I prefer internal combustion and wasn't a fan but they slowly invade your life and soon you turn around and find your life revolving around the darned things, and I no longer resent it but enjoy it.

Go find a nice group riding stable, ask for the fat old draft horse to ride with a group. Sit back and enjoy the scenery because that horse knows his job is to bring the "dude" back and like most "big guys" he ain't gonna act up because that takes energy!!! (and a pro stable can't afford to have clients hurt so they only have gentle horses.)

tek

Post by tek »

Burn'em Down wrote: Go find a nice group riding stable, ask for the fat old draft horse to ride with a group. Sit back and enjoy the scenery because that horse knows his job is to bring the "dude" back and like most "big guys" he ain't gonna act up because that takes energy!!! (and a pro stable can't afford to have clients hurt so they only have gentle horses.)
This.

The barn where my daughter really got serious about riding had some "bullet-proof" "lesson-horses" .. and part of her learning at that barn (once she was no longer a neophyte) was how to keep "bullet-proof" horses bullet-proof.. This barn was not a fancy riding barn, but had locals who boarded their horses there and ran a horse camp every summer for young teens.. and happened to have "professionals" that understood what is important to teach people (young and old) who are new to the horse world.

There is one horse there she fondly remembers.. he was kinda small.. "Koko" .. "he wouldn't jump, couldn't do dressage worth a damn.. but somehow after riding him for an hour the world seemed a much better place"
There's no way back
from there to here

Return to “The Lounge”