Horses! and other beloved 'farm' animals

Azastan

Re: Horses! and other beloved 'farm' animals

Post by Azastan »

Orlylicious wrote:Wow.
I have seen this before, but never saw the words on the photo about it being a remount depot. This particular remount depot, Camp Cody, was located in Deming, New Mexico, and could handle up to 10,000 horses and mules.

The video is a panoramic view of the facility.

SueDB

Post by SueDB »

I always found it strange that in WWII - the Germans were known for armored warfare, however in the non armored units (like hugest & largest percentage of the German Army) it was horse drawn artillery, supply carts/wagons and foot infantry. All of their artillery was horse drawn except the huge rail guns. The Blitzkrieg often had to be stopped (like the drive into France in 1940 and the USSR 1941) to allow the infantry to catch up. It was a very long foot march ending at Moscow, Leningrad, and Stalingrad.

At first the USSR was very horse dependent (along with the French), but in the USSR case, Lend-Lease Studebaker trucks allowed the Russians to practice mobile warfare with infantry along with towing the big guns. Some say that the trucks we gave the Russians won the war for them over anything else we sent them except for millions of boots.
“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

There were a lot of places horse drawn carriages and artillery piece could go that would bog down a mechanized cavalry.

There are still a lot of places horses can go that mechanized search and rescue can't.

Horses (and dogs) are man's best friend(s). I have had the honor of having many (of both).

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Pointing to important Olberman contribution:

http://thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 29#p859229

tek

Post by tek »

sliding the Chester stuff from http://thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 82#p860682 over here..

Chester was not an expensive horse. Chester is an absolute sweetheart, and a good jumper and dressage horse to boot. Chester and my daughter ended up meeting because my daughter has a reputation for working well with horses that are very talented but a bit cranky.. and Chester had quite an attitude..

Chester is no longer the least bit cranky.

It drives my daughter crazy that all the teens at the barn (who are about half her age at this point) are continuously begging their parents to buy them one or another fancy (5-figures) horse. When she was a teen we did finally buy her a horse (low-4-figures), but not until she'd won some ribbons riding lesson horses - and had developed good relationships with a couple of the lesson horses at the barn she was riding at.. and the barn owner pulled me aside and said "she really knows how to take care of a horse.." ;)

She tries really hard to pull the kids at the barn along.. and shares Chester with them.. here's the 'pony club' at a show with Chester:
IMGP0121sm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's no way back
from there to here

Azastan

Post by Azastan »

tek wrote:sliding the Chester stuff from http://thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 82#p860682 over here..

Chester was not an expensive horse. Chester is an absolute sweetheart, and a good jumper and dressage horse to boot. Chester and my daughter ended up meeting because my daughter has a reputation for working well with horses that are very talented but a bit cranky.. and Chester had quite an attitude..

Chester is no longer the least bit cranky.

It drives my daughter crazy that all the teens at the barn (who are about half her age at this point) are continuously begging their parents to buy them one or another fancy (5-figures) horse. When she was a teen we did finally buy her a horse (low-4-figures), but not until she'd won some ribbons riding lesson horses - and had developed good relationships with a couple of the lesson horses at the barn she was riding at.. and the barn owner pulled me aside and said "she really knows how to take care of a horse.." ;)

She tries really hard to pull the kids at the barn along.. and shares Chester with them.. here's the 'pony club' at a show with Chester:
IMGP0121sm.jpg
Perhaps you could send your daughter my way to ride the crankiness out of Azastan LOL.
Az is a delightful horse on the ground, but she learned to get rid of better riders than I by using some sneaky tricks (favourite trick is to drop right shoulder when going to the right, and coming to a dead stop at the same time. Second favourite trick is to emulate a reinin' horse by coming to a dead stop all whilst leaping 3 feet to the side and then running backward at full speed--that's the one that caused me to do an unanticipated rapid dismount).

My trainer thinks Az would be helped enormously by daily riding, but I won't ride alone, and I can't afford daily lessons!

Getting back to Chester, though--he is obviously in good hands :lovestruck: , and your daughter should be commended!

kb1gra

Post by kb1gra »

Daughter.tek...

I got lucky with Chester. I bought him on impulse sight unseen from a local horse dealer of unsavory reputation. He was cheap (actually in their "bargain bin"), I wanted to ride, and I figured the worst that would happen was he was reasonably flashy looking and I could sell him. That never happened, and we've come to an understanding. He has a kid who rides him as well, but he is definitely "my" horse and only goes super for me, which I selfishly enjoy :) I've had him for 3 years next month. He's just starting to jump the big sticks with me at around 3'6" at home this spring. Not bad for 14.2 :)

I actually jockey many of the ponies at the barn who are naughty and the kids don't want to ride them. We call it pony smushing, as I am really too large for them. Sometimes you gotta get the message across.

Knock wood, despite best efforts of many, I have never been successfully tossed by a naughty pony, either mine or someone else's. I have a pretty serious degree of stickability thanks to years of riding what I could afford, which wasn't much.

tek

Post by tek »

rut roh, my daughter has signed up to join us here :shock:
There's no way back
from there to here

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

tek wrote:rut roh, my daughter has signed up to join us here :shock:
Do we have to stop saying fuck?

kb1gra

Post by kb1gra »

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
I'm pretty sure I say it a lot more than my father would like, but now that I'm almost 30 he can't ground me anymore...

tek

Post by tek »

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
um, no. ;)

Actually the discussion on the MD trip was quite energetic, and used many of the seven words ..
There's no way back
from there to here

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

tek wrote:
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
um, no. ;)

Actually the discussion on the MD trip was quite energetic, and used many of the seven words ..
In that case, I'll bake her some cookies.

Azastan

Post by Azastan »

It's all that horse talk.

Or, more likely, the interesting viewpoint of the politics as seen by highly intelligent people.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
But isn't that the first word to utter when the four legged critter dumps you against your will :?:

kb1gra

Post by kb1gra »

RTH10260 wrote:
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
But isn't that the first word to utter when the four legged critter dumps you against your will :?:
It's been awhile, knock wood, but if conscious I believe the correct response is "GET BACK HERE YOU LITTLE SHIT"

Azastan

Post by Azastan »

kb1gra wrote:
It's been awhile, knock wood, but if conscious I believe the correct response is "GET BACK HERE YOU LITTLE SHIT"
I've always had the breath knocked out of me to the point of not being able to say (or do) much of anything for at least a minute or so.

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Here's one for the horse lovers. Enjoy

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

kb1gra

Post by kb1gra »

My guy is Connemara. No better horses IMO. That one looks like it's got the life.

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

Oh boy did I need this today! It's not new but making the rounds...

Champis - the herding rabbit
Who needs sheepdogs when there are... rabbits !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeuL5IGimCQ
Hey! Don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: From Not To Hot -- Family Crisis!" Fri 9/8c. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Well done, bunny. Well done.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

That's bullying. :fingerwag:
For more information, read it again.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

NotaPerson

Post by NotaPerson »

Not a farm animal, but she is certainly beloved. My house bunny Ruby says hello.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Am I being detained?

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

She is adorable. I love bunnies. Too sweet.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

The Fogbow's very own Easter Bunny - a female!!!! You rock, Ruby!
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

tek

Post by tek »

apparently a bit of a mishap jumping today.. daughter.tek (kb1gra) has a broken rib, and Chester has some ouchies..

both are fine, if hurtin' .. "Could have been a lot worse...Safety stirrups and a good helmet"
ouch_2017apr13.jpg
There's no way back
from there to here

Return to “The Lounge”