Horses! and other beloved 'farm' animals

Post Reply
User avatar
Azastan
Posts: 3725
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:42 am

Horses! and other beloved 'farm' animals

#1

Post by Azastan » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:04 pm

We have threads for dogs. We have threads for cats. But there is not a thread for horses or any of the myriad other animals normally found on farms. I know I am not the only one with horses (or who lives on a farm), so let's have a place for the 'not a cat or dog' creatures we love.

User avatar
Azastan
Posts: 3725
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:42 am

Re: Horses! and other beloved 'farm' animals

#2

Post by Azastan » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:07 pm

So to start, my name and avatar are of my mare, Azastan. She is a 23 year old grey purebred Arabian mare. I was looking for a broke, older, grey, purebred and preferably registered Arabian, and in my searches, came across Azastan. Her owner had been trying to re-home her for seven or eight years, but didn't feel good about any of the people who came to look at her. But her owner liked me, and thus Azastan is now mine.

Az was trained in classical dressage, but I ride mostly western, so now we work on western dressage.

User avatar
Sterngard Friegen
Posts: 44690
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:32 am
Location: Over the drawbridge

Re: Horses! and other beloved 'farm' animals

#3

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:39 pm

I have a mare (barren) who will be 28 next Wednesday. I've owned her since she was born (I also owned her mother) but she lived in Nevada for her first 6 months. She had a brother a year older and together they were a pair in drawing my carriages. She also has done dressage, three day eventing and hunting as well as trail riding. I cannot reveal her name as it is a part of one of my passwords.

She's half draft, half Thoroughbred, happily living out her days in pasture in Malibu, where cool ocean breezes and a flymask protect her from those damn horseflies. She still has most of her teeth, gets her teeth floated every year and her hooves trimmed every six weeks. She has a dark brown coat and a huge white blaze on her face.

She's 16h and quite stout, and now has a bit of a swayback. She hasn't been ridden in years. She shares her pasture with other horses, all of whom she bosses around. And she is a terror if anyone tries to get to her food. Any food in sight is her food.

She still recognizes my voice and jogs over to see my when I visit.

My friends, family and I will be having dinner with champagne next Wednesday to celebrate her birthday. We are bringing her some apples, cut down to bite size for her.

She was the second of 4 horses that I bred and clearly the best. (Although they were all wonderful.)

User avatar
Azastan
Posts: 3725
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:42 am

Re: Horses! and other beloved 'farm' animals

#4

Post by Azastan » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:16 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:I have a mare (barren) who will be 28 next Wednesday. I've owned her since she was born (I also owned her mother) but she lived in Nevada for her first 6 months. She had a brother a year older and together they were a pair in drawing my carriages. She also has done dressage, three day eventing and hunting as well as trail riding. I cannot reveal her name as it is a part of one of my passwords.

She's half draft, half Thoroughbred, happily living out her days in pasture in Malibu, where cool ocean breezes and a flymask protect her from those damn horseflies. She still has most of her teeth, gets her teeth floated every year and her hooves trimmed every six weeks. She has a dark brown coat and a huge white blaze on her face.

She's 16h and quite stout, and now has a bit of a swayback. She hasn't been ridden in years. She shares her pasture with other horses, all of whom she bosses around. And she is a terror if anyone tries to get to her food. Any food in sight is her food.

She still recognizes my voice and jogs over to see my when I visit.

My friends, family and I will be having dinner with champagne next Wednesday to celebrate her birthday. We are bringing her some apples, cut down to bite size for her.

She was the second of 4 horses that I bred and clearly the best. (Although they were all wonderful.)
One of my horses, a registered QH, has a swayback, but she has the most work ethic of any horse I know. At age 30, with judicious padding, she still gets ridden (just enough to keep her arthritis at bay). She was used as a team roping horse back in the day, and still gets a gleam in her eyes when she sees cows.

I love hearing that your mare is happily retired and enjoying her life.

User avatar
Sterngard Friegen
Posts: 44690
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:32 am
Location: Over the drawbridge

Re: Horses! and other beloved 'farm' animals

#5

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:49 pm

In Malibu -- with an ocean view!

User avatar
Azastan
Posts: 3725
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:42 am

Re: Horses! and other beloved 'farm' animals

#6

Post by Azastan » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:58 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:In Malibu -- with an ocean view!
Mine aren't quite so lucky! Nevertheless, they do seem to enjoy it here.

User avatar
tek
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:02 pm
Location: Happy Valley, MA
Occupation: Damned if I know

Re: Horses! and other beloved 'farm' animals

#7

Post by tek » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:01 pm

The only horse I ever owned was "Emmy" (aka "Eminent" aka "positive criticism") .. Appendix QH.. who my daughter rode through junior high and high school.. Emmy was a pretty smart horse.. often, it seems, smarter than my daughter.. luckily we had a good vet who taught me about horses "playing lame" ..

The best Emmy story was at a local dressage show.. a young girl, maybe 11 years old, was half-leasing Emmy and both she and my daughter were riding Emmy in this same show.. which was the young girl's first real show.

The young girl rode out, saluted the judge, and then froze. Emmy did the whole test on her own, with the young girl pretty much hanging on.

When my daughter went off to college, the young girl (and her mom) bought Emmy ;) .. The young girl rode Emmy through high school and then her mom rode her for a few more years before they let Emmy retire to the neighbor's farm..
There's no way back
from there to here

User avatar
Azastan
Posts: 3725
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:42 am

Re: Horses! and other beloved 'farm' animals

#8

Post by Azastan » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:21 pm

tek wrote:The only horse I ever owned was "Emmy" (aka "Eminent" aka "positive criticism") .. Appendix QH.. who my daughter rode through junior high and high school.. Emmy was a pretty smart horse.. often, it seems, smarter than my daughter.. luckily we had a good vet who taught me about horses "playing lame" ..

The best Emmy story was at a local dressage show.. a young girl, maybe 11 years old, was half-leasing Emmy and both she and my daughter were riding Emmy in this same show.. which was the young girl's first real show.

The young girl rode out, saluted the judge, and then froze. Emmy did the whole test on her own, with the young girl pretty much hanging on.

When my daughter went off to college, the young girl (and her mom) bought Emmy ;) .. The young girl rode Emmy through high school and then her mom rode her for a few more years before they let Emmy retire to the neighbor's farm..
Horses are smarter than most people give them credit for! One of my first horses was an appendix QH named Donald. He was an old boy, probably around age 28 or so when I got him, and horribly thin. His owners had had to give him up when they lost their farm due to foreclosure, and weren't able to feed him any more.

When I got him back up to a proper weight, and got his muscle tone back, it turned out that he was a lovely riding horse, apparently trained in dressage!

It does not surprise me that Emmy was able to call her own dressage test :-D .

User avatar
RTH10260
Posts: 21714
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Near the Swiss Alps

Re: Horses! and other beloved 'farm' animals

#9

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:47 pm

Farm animals?

Will we finally get to know why the chicken crossed the sreet :?:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
SueDB
Posts: 27756
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:02 pm
Location: RIP, my friend. - Foggy

Re: Horses! and other beloved 'farm' animals

#10

Post by SueDB » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:30 pm

RTH10260 wrote:Farm animals?

Will we finally get to know why the chicken crossed the sreet :?:
► Show Spoiler
Ms SueDB said she'd hang me if I ever tried to raise chickens. :roll:
“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

User avatar
Family Liberty Patriot
Posts: 4486
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:23 pm
Location: Southern Orlystan
Occupation: Czar of All the Russias

Re: Horses! and other beloved 'farm' animals

#11

Post by Family Liberty Patriot » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:40 pm

From badnewspaper.com :
fryers.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - 2006)

User avatar
Sterngard Friegen
Posts: 44690
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:32 am
Location: Over the drawbridge

Re: Horses! and other beloved 'farm' animals

#12

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:41 pm

RTH10260 wrote:Farm animals?

Will we finally get to know why the chicken crossed the street :?:
Yeah. To get away from Foogie.

User avatar
Whatever4
Posts: 12126
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:36 am
Location: Mainely in the plain
Occupation: Visiting doctors.

Re: Horses! and other beloved 'farm' animals

#13

Post by Whatever4 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:07 pm

The end cracks me up every time.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

User avatar
Azastan
Posts: 3725
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:42 am

Re: Horses! and other beloved 'farm' animals

#14

Post by Azastan » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:15 pm

RTH10260 wrote:Farm animals?

Will we finally get to know why the chicken crossed the sreet :?:
It's an age old mystery, and will stay that way!

On the other hand, I do have a good story about the day my cat George was chased down the pasture by two of my horses. Truly one of those times when I wish I had had a camera recording the action. :rotflmao:
SueDB wrote:
Ms SueDB said she'd hang me if I ever tried to raise chickens. :roll:
My spouse is very tolerant of my animals, but he has put his foot down quite firmly on NO DUCKS. We have plenty of neighbours and friends with chickens, so there is no shortage of eggs, but he grew up with chickens and ducks, and shudders at the thought of ducks.

User avatar
SueDB
Posts: 27756
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:02 pm
Location: RIP, my friend. - Foggy

Re: Horses! and other beloved 'farm' animals

#15

Post by SueDB » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:19 pm

Azastan wrote:
RTH10260 wrote:Farm animals?

Will we finally get to know why the chicken crossed the sreet :?:
It's an age old mystery, and will stay that way!

On the other hand, I do have a good story about the day my cat George was chased down the pasture by two of my horses. Truly one of those times when I wish I had had a camera recording the action. :rotflmao:
SueDB wrote:
Ms SueDB said she'd hang me if I ever tried to raise chickens. :roll:
My spouse is very tolerant of my animals, but he has put his foot down quite firmly on NO DUCKS. We have plenty of neighbours and friends with chickens, so there is no shortage of eggs, but he grew up with chickens and ducks, and shudders at the thought of ducks.
I leave eggs & chickens to my nephew/nieceinlaw - I will say one thing for ducks...the eggs make really nice baked stuffs.
“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

User avatar
Azastan
Posts: 3725
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:42 am

Re: Horses! and other beloved 'farm' animals

#16

Post by Azastan » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:27 pm

SueDB wrote:
I leave eggs & chickens to my nephew/nieceinlaw - I will say one thing for ducks...the eggs make really nice baked stuffs.
Yes, duck eggs are delicious in baked goods (but still, no ducks on the farm :crying: ).

User avatar
Burn'em Down
Posts: 413
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:20 pm

Re: Horses! and other beloved 'farm' animals

#17

Post by Burn'em Down » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:41 pm

Because I married a "crazy horse lady" I've ended up with 3 of my own plus the 4 my wife has (though I have to do a head count every time work takes me away to make sure she hasn't added more to the herd!). We range from 1 y/o to 20 y/o. 2 lazy labs, myriad house and barn cats and 4 ducks on the pond that have a bevy of wild ducks that have taken up year round residence as well.

No kids so the menagerie has taken over as our non working focus in life. The wife likes to ride around in circles in western pleasure showing but I prefer to disappear into the woods when I get a chance!

User avatar
Azastan
Posts: 3725
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:42 am

Re: Horses! and other beloved 'farm' animals

#18

Post by Azastan » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:21 pm

Burn'em Down wrote:Because I married a "crazy horse lady" I've ended up with 3 of my own plus the 4 my wife has (though I have to do a head count every time work takes me away to make sure she hasn't added more to the herd!). We range from 1 y/o to 20 y/o. 2 lazy labs, myriad house and barn cats and 4 ducks on the pond that have a bevy of wild ducks that have taken up year round residence as well.

No kids so the menagerie has taken over as our non working focus in life. The wife likes to ride around in circles in western pleasure showing but I prefer to disappear into the woods when I get a chance!
Very cool!

I think my spouse thinks of the maybe Azteca/maybe Hispano-Arabe mare named Poppy as his. I try not to add any more to the herd without consulting him, although my predilection for greys means it's easy to 'ghost' one in as a ringer.

My three Grey Graces. Front to end: Valerie (27), Lili (30), Leah (27). Ages given were as of the date of the photo. Sadly, all three of these mares are now deceased (but I still have two grey mares, Poppy and Azastan). I didn't know that this photo existed until last year. It was taken by a friend, through the windshield of her pickup, about two weeks before Valerie's death.
Mythreegreygirls.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
ZekeB
Posts: 15895
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: Northwest part of Semi Blue State

Re: Horses! and other beloved 'farm' animals

#19

Post by ZekeB » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:20 pm

Why do squirrels that are halfway across the road as my car approaches turn back and end up making my tires go thump thump?
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

User avatar
Estiveo
Posts: 8027
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:31 pm
Location: Trouble's Howse

Re: Horses! and other beloved 'farm' animals

#20

Post by Estiveo » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:27 pm

To get to the Other Side.
Image Image Image Image Image

User avatar
Azastan
Posts: 3725
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:42 am

Re: Horses! and other beloved 'farm' animals

#21

Post by Azastan » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:46 pm

Estiveo wrote:To get to the Other Side.
That's what this one did.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... haunt.html

User avatar
MN-Skeptic
Posts: 2812
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:36 pm
Location: Twin Cities

Re: Horses! and other beloved 'farm' animals

#22

Post by MN-Skeptic » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:24 pm

RTH10260 wrote:Will we finally get to know why the chicken crossed the sreet :?:
For fowl reasons.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

User avatar
Dallasite
Posts: 3087
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:38 pm
Location: About 40,000 light years from the center of the Milky Way Galaxy.
Occupation: Senior Scheduling Manager
Chemtrails Program
Human Factors and Behavioral Sciences Division

Re: Horses! and other beloved 'farm' animals

#23

Post by Dallasite » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:33 pm

We have 16 chickens and 4 ducks. And we're getting 2 pigs soon!
"I drank what?!?!" - Soctates, 399 BC

User avatar
Azastan
Posts: 3725
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:42 am

Re: Horses! and other beloved 'farm' animals

#24

Post by Azastan » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:55 pm

Dallasite wrote:We have 16 chickens and 4 ducks. And we're getting 2 pigs soon!
I farm sit for a farm with three pigs, two of which are Red Wattle pigs. What breed/s are you getting?

User avatar
Dallasite
Posts: 3087
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:38 pm
Location: About 40,000 light years from the center of the Milky Way Galaxy.
Occupation: Senior Scheduling Manager
Chemtrails Program
Human Factors and Behavioral Sciences Division

Re: Horses! and other beloved 'farm' animals

#25

Post by Dallasite » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:08 am

Berkshires. When I was a kid, I helped my sister with pigs she raised for FFA and showed at the state fair. Duroc and yorkshires. I wanted smaller pigs for us, plus the meat is excellent. Plus, I like that they are a heritage breed.
"I drank what?!?!" - Soctates, 399 BC

Post Reply

Return to “The Lounge”