Robocalls / Robotexts/ other annoying calls/ FCC

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Esseff, no hiding feature anymore. You could PM folks you trust instead.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

esseff44

Post by esseff44 »

Esseff, no hiding feature anymore. You could PM folks you trust instead.

Amazing, Miss Filly, check your PM's.

SueDB

Post by SueDB »

The 10 second will lapse and the call will go to voicemail unless I pick it up. It is interesting sometimes trying to figure out which office called if you have a couple of appts lined up. It just adds to the spice of life.
“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Nomorobo says not all automated calls are blocked:

Legal robocalls, like school closings and prescription reminders, are allowed through.

I think a number has to be on their blacklist before it is intercepted. I may give this a try since I am using TWC VOIP for my land line.
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

SueDB

Post by SueDB »

Regardless of what it sez, those calls end up having the first part (how ever long it takes to get to voice mail) not recorded.

SueDB

Post by SueDB »

How does your phone determine whether it is a legal robocall or not???

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

How does your phone determine whether it is a legal robocall or not???

Nomorobo develops a blacklist of phone numbers from looking at the calls coming in to their users. If they see the same number being used to call thousands of numbers at once it goes on the blacklist. You can also manually report a number. I assume they have a threshold that must be reached before a number gets blacklisted. Otherwise I could get my neighbor I don't like placed on the blacklist.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

I signed up for Nomorobo. Here is how it works:

When you sign up for a free Nomorobo account they give you instructions on how to set up your account with your provider - Time Warner in my case. I signed into my Time Warner account and set up a feature that allows your number to ring in two places. The other number you put in is the number that Nomorobo gives you. It didn't work the first time and as a matter of fact my phone didn't work at all. I was about to call Time Warner but I tried resetting the modem and that worked. What happens is when a known robocaller calls Nomorobo picks up the call on the first ring. Otherwise it does not answer and your phone continues to ring until answered as normal.

I will let you know how it works.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

I have used Nomorobo since Sunday. It seems to be working well so far. For whatever reason I seem to be getting fewer Robocalls overall than before. I think a couple have come in when I have been on call waiting and they dropped right away. I would have figured I would have had more calls that stopped after one ring. I wonder if the Robocallers figure out you are using the service and give up? Either way the results are good.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras »

I have been very satisfied with Nomorobo.

I recall, more than 20 years ago, a device called (IIRC) a PhoneZapper, which one could put on the line between the instrument and the wall socket, and whenever the phone was lift off the hook it would generate a momentary ping on the line which matched the phone company's internal signal that a phone number didn't exist, so that the computers driving the robocaller would instantly hang up AND delete that number from its memory. Would those machines be effective with today's robocallers?

On a barely related note, on the internet, when I click on a link now, about half the time I get an ad (frequently posted by "Ad Supply"), when I backtrack to the previous webpage and click the link a second time I arrive at the desired link. Is there any remedy for this advertising detour??

esseff44

Post by esseff44 »

My former Congresswoman, Jackie Speier, still has me on her Town Hall Conference Call list. So, I was listening to her answering questions on the topics of the day and trying to think of something she could do something about. As I was pushing the button to ask about annoying callers, another person started asking about the same thing. The Congresswoman said she has just experienced a day of that when she was home sick in bed. She could not believe how many telemarketing calls she got in that one day. So, she promised to work on it, but that as with all our problems there are the lobbyists carving out exceptions and it's more complicated than she thought it would be. But, problems have a better chance of getting solved when they are bugging the people with the power to solve them.

It's not that the Do Not Call List is not working. It's just not working well enough or enforced enough and crooks and scofflaws have found too many ways around it.

She was making good use of the phone to keep in touch with her constituents and listen to their questions and concerns. And it only went to people who signed up for the calls.

BTW, I think she's a possible candidate for Senator whenever Senator Feinstein retires.

Shizzle Popped

Post by Shizzle Popped »

I've been using Ooma premium ($10/mo) for about a year and they have three levels of blacklists (community, Nomorobo and personal) plus anonymous call blocking. For each option you can select how you want the system to respond....Call Blocked Message, Send to VoiceMail, Number Disconnected Message or Continuous Ring (on their end). For the very few calls that still get through I can add them to my personal blacklist with a single click from the online call log. Other than an occasional issue with call quality I'm pretty happy with the service.
If Trump was a stopped clock he still wouldn't be right twice a day.

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 »

I finally listened to my voice mail on the home phone yesterday. Since May 10th, there were 14 messages left. 5 from Pastor Mannasseh (or some such), 4 from bill collectors for the people who had the phone number before us, 4 from CVS informing us that the prescriptions were ready and 1 from our state representative inviting us to a breakfast meeting on May 28th at 10 (or something like that). I guess these meetings are meant for retired folks because they're invariably late morning on a weekday.

ducktape

Post by ducktape »

On a barely related note, on the internet, when I click on a link now, about half the time I get an ad (frequently posted by "Ad Supply"), when I backtrack to the previous webpage and click the link a second time I arrive at the desired link. Is there any remedy for this advertising detour??

Yes, you can run malwarebytes or some other similar software and remove the malware in your computer.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

My former Congresswoman, Jackie Speier,

Is Jackie still referring to Jim Jones (who killed her boss, Congressman Leo Ryan, and severely injured her) as "the Reverend Jim Jones"? I wrote to her years ago and told her if she was going toi give Jones that honorific she should also refer to Adolf Hitler as "His Excellency."

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras »

I still have a contract out to anyone who can kill "Heather from cardholder services".

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Robocalls are annoying but for the regular spammers an air horn works wonders. :twisted:

Jim

Post by Jim »

I got the Microsoft Customer Service call telling me I had a virus Tuesday night. I played the shell game with him by telling him I had 3 computers and asking which one was infected. He was lost. After 4:15 (a new personal record) he finally figured out I was messing with him (while enjoying the hockey game) and hung up.

Every once in a while I get calls from lawyers claiming the have a legal matter for Kathy (Mylastname). The first time this happened, I kindly called them up, informed them I was not Kathy, had no relation that I knew of with the name of Kathy, and please quit calling. They stopped, until they moved whatever she did to a new lawyer/firm/collection agency or whatever and they start up again for a while. I just ignore them now.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 »

My former Congresswoman, Jackie Speier,

Is Jackie still referring to Jim Jones (who killed her boss, Congressman Leo Ryan, and severely injured her) as "the Reverend Jim Jones"? I wrote to her years ago and told her if she was going toi give Jones that honorific she should also refer to Adolf Hitler as "His Excellency."

I couldn't say. I haven't heard her mentioned the Jonestown Massacre in a very, very long time. She's a smart, hard-working, articulate Congress Critter. Some people might still refer to Jones that way in a sarcastic or ironic sense. Sorta like Pasture Manning.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 »

So 10 days ago, I complained to the FCC about annoying robocalls and telemarketing calls, and today the FCC makes an announcement. (not that my call was connected except the timing; it takes millions of complaints before they act).  I guess when enough Congress people stay home sick and are disturbed by numerous annoying calls on their private residence lines, they take the problem seriously.http://www.sfgate.com/business/article/ ... 0058.phpSo, the are telling the phone companies they can, nay!, encouraging them to offer their customers ways to block these unwanted and annoying calls.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

http://www.sfgate.com/business/article/ ... 0058.phpSo, the are telling the phone companies they can, nay!, encouraging them to offer their customers ways to block these unwanted and annoying calls.​Good, I am glad they are taking away that excuse.​

esseff44

Post by esseff44 »

More on the problems of robocalls and robotexts:http://finance.yahoo.com/news/paypal-dr ... .htmlThere some good consumer information in the article.It's convinced me to keep my old landline number and never answer it.  I now have it fixed with the Unified Messaging to send me an e-mail when someone leaves a message.  Then, I can check the voice-mail on the computer.  There were 3 calls in the last hour but none left messages.  Pay Pal spams me enough as it is wanting to link to my bank account.  Pfttt! 

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

I have been using Nomorobo for over two weeks now. It doesn't catch all the Robocalls but certainly has caught the majority of them. I have reported a few numbers that got through. 

Reality Check

Re: Robocalls / Robotexts/ other annoying calls/ FCC

Post by Reality Check »

Just to update and kick this topic...

I have been on Nomorobo since early June. It is great. All those calls from "Unavailable" ring once and are gone. :towel: A very few get through like a local satellite TV provider but he was a real person.

MN-Skeptic

Re: Robocalls / Robotexts/ other annoying calls/ FCC

Post by MN-Skeptic »

We have a land line and, for the most part, don't answer phone calls from numbers we don't recognize.

Occasionally I will answer an odd phone number and I did so yesterday. It was a heavily accented man calling from Microsoft Windows Technical Department about my Windows PC. "Oh, I don't own any Windows PCs." "So, you have a Mac?" "Oh no! I don't believe in computers." "Oh..." "Goodbye." Click :-D
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Return to “The Lounge”