What are you watching on TV these days?

Bill_G

Re: What are you watching on TV these days?

Post by Bill_G »

Maybenaut wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:14 am
Well, that’s the thing about rape allegations.
(snip)
Without giving away the show, they delve into "that's the thing about rape". It's not a light hearted, or half hearted. I think it was very open hearted. But, it is a TV show on Netflix, and YMMV.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Bill_G wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:07 am
Maybenaut wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:14 am
Well, that’s the thing about rape allegations.
(snip)
Without giving away the show, they delve into "that's the thing about rape". It's not a light hearted, or half hearted. I think it was very open hearted. But, it is a TV show on Netflix, and YMMV.
I saw the first episode. It was too much like going to work. I have to live this stuff, so I’ll probably pass on the rest.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Maybenaut wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:30 am

I saw the first episode. It was too much like going to work. I have to live this stuff, so I’ll probably pass on the rest.
I hear ya. No worries.

PS - and that actually speaks well for the writing and production. If it affected someone familiar with the topic, they did it right.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:bighug:

MeTV just reset Charlie's Angels, episode one. I know it's fluff, but such a great break from current events. Carry is listed in the credits with -Majors in the last name. I feel old.

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

Recently got into Elementary. The latter seasons get very topical with incel terror attacks, white supremacists getting dirty bombs, gangs coordinating crimes through Trump memes posted online. Jonny Miller is an interesting interpretation of Sherlock Holmes. There’s some risky choices made and references to others Holmes media.

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh »

watching FLEABAG, Mrs. Maisal on amazon prime

My Name is...
Daffy Duck.. woo hoo!
Cancer broke me

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Hubs and I loved Fleabag and Mrs. Maisel.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

I've been watching and enjoying the Ken Burns documentary on Country Music.

I really liked the episode last night with the clip of Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash singing "The Girl from the North Country."

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Not quite TV, but The History Guy on YouTube tells interesting stories. His lastest is about Norton I of San Francisco:

tencats

Post by tencats »

Look who's back: Spitting Image returns for our chaotic times
Fri 27 Sep 2019
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... zuckerberg
Twenty-three years after it last aired, the puppet satire takes on Trump, Putin and Zuckerberg
There was a time during its 1980s heyday when Spitting Image was watched by 15 million people each week, when it seemed as central to British political life as Margaret Thatcher’s handbag. But by the time the programme was cancelled after more than a decade, its audiences had slumped, its brand of caustic puppetry deemed dated and out of step with the national mood.

There is nothing like a global political crisis, however, to prod a satirist out of semi-retirement. Twenty-three years after it was last broadcast, Roger Law, one of the co-creators of the groundbreaking comedy, has confirmed that Spitting Image is set to return to television screens – featuring an S&M-clad Vladimir Putin, Meghan Markle wearing a glittery “princess” T-shirt and a puppet of Donald Trump whose tweets are composed by his anus.

A pilot for a new incarnation of Spitting Image has already been filmed, Law confirmed to the Guardian, and its producers are in advanced discussions with US-based networks to bring this very British brand of satire to the wider world.

[/highlight]

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

John Thomas8 wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:02 am
Not quite TV, but The History Guy on YouTube tells interesting stories. His lastest is about Norton I of San Francisco:
I like that channel. :thumbs:
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Addie

Post by Addie »

The Sandhamn Murders (Swedish w/English subtitles) on Amazon Prime. I like this murder mystery series a lot. Even just looking at the scenery is relaxing and enjoyable. One of those Take Me Away From Donald Trump pleasures. :thumbs:

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

We've been watching Green Acres and absolutely adoring it. Then, a couple of nights ago, Mr. Haney came over to sell OWD a mechanical soybean planter. OWD, natch, didn't believe it would work and declined. Then Mr. Haney asked him "You don't want your very own mechanical (racist term for Mexican)?" or something along those lines. Both of us looked at each other, mouths open, and said "Did you hear that?"

Wow, the things that used to be acceptable. I can't begin to imagine what it was like to belong to a minority then. At least the sexism is not as bad as other shows of the era.* And don't ask me why we're also watching I Dream of Jeannie.

*They fought to cast Ralph of the Monroe Brothers as a woman. The producers were dead set against it.
ImageImageImage x4

Addie

Post by Addie »

:confused: So, the new season of Goliath. I hardly recognize it. It's gone all psychedelic on me and there's almost a whole new cast of characters. I'll stick with it, because I trust it will turn out great. I'm hugely interested in the subject of corporate agriculture and water rights. Yet this show doesn't look to be as much of a legal thriller anymore, but whut?

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

Imma be watching this I guess fake news documentary Sunday:

PaulG

Post by PaulG »

"Glitch" on Netflix. People (six or seven) rise from their graves in the fictional town of Yoorana, Victoria, Australia. The people come from all parts of Yoorana's history which gives scope for a lot of the history of Australia to poke in. The first episode name drops Thornton Wilder's "The Bridge of San Luis Rey" which it resembles except sort of in reverse. It also has a weird resonance with "Our Town" with the 3rd act in the graveyard and all the residents of the graveyard sitting on chairs. It's just weird and mysterious.

"Dr. Stone" on Crunchyroll. I have to mention anime because nobody else does. It's an isekai of which there has been a flood in recent years. The genre features a young modern-day Japanese teen who is transported to another world, albeit with some ridiculous superpower which makes surviving a doddle. Early isekai were all people trapped in computer games, but pretty much everyone soon got bored with that and started playing with the conventions. We've had "The Saga of Tanya the Evil" where an atheist loses Pascal's wager rather badly and the Supreme Being sends him off to live as a girl in a fantasy version the WWI Western Front. "That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime" is pretty self-explanatory but fun. "Rise of the Shield Hero" is the saga of someone who gets a so-so superpower and then gets framed, denounced and reviled. In "Dr. Stone", the hero gets thrown 3700 years into the future by an apocalypse that destroys the world and sends it back to the stone age. Fortunately, he is a STEM whiz and with a light heart and gleam in his eye, he sets out to rebuild civilization. Highly recommended.

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

Three seasons of VICTORIA are on Amazon Prime, Masterpiece Theatre. Beautifully filmed and Daisy Goodwin is a wonderful writer and wrote the teleplay too. There are plans for a Season 4. There were parts of the story I didn't know; from everything I've read it's quite accurate. Very enjoyable.
Hey! Don't miss The Fogbow's Favorite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: From Not To Hot -- Family Crisis!" New Season in starts 3/27 9/8C March on weTV!

PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Britbox has brought back Ripping Yarns! Not the best series frankly, but it was written by and stars Michael Palin and Terry Jones so fans should give it a try and the episode "The Testing of Eric Olthwaite" is one of my favorite bits of TV from the 70's.

If like me you are vaguely dissatisfied with Rowan Atkinson as Maigret, Britbox has also re-released the Maigret shows starring Michael Gambon. He'll always be Maigret to me, as I have never seen Bruno Cremer do it.

Shakespeare & Hathaway is back for another 10 episode run. I despise the term "cozy mystery" but I'll accept "lighthearted detectives" as a description of the show. I'm trying to pace myself and not binge the whole lot.

Dave at Sea

Post by Dave at Sea »

The name of the Rose
Recent Italian remake, expanded OK.
On SBS Australian

An eight-part miniseries adaptation, The Name of the Rose, commenced production in Italy in January 2018[31] and premiered on Rai 1 on March 4, 2019. The series was directed by Giacomo Battiato, and stars John Turturro as William of Baskerville, Rupert Everett as Gui, and newcomer Damian Hardung as Adso.[32] The series premiered in the UK on BBC 2 on October 11, 2019.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Season 2 of "Succession," a fictional story of avarice, immorality and greed (the Murdochs, not the Trumps) has ended its season. But it can be seen on HBO on demand.

Great show with a lovely twist in the season finale.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Miss Friman's War/Fröken Frimans krig (in Swedish w/English subtitles) on Amazon Prime/MHz. Light drama series. Four short seasons. Nice lady reformers of the food supply bring down hell on a corrupt grocery industry. Suffragettes! :thumbs:

Fiona

Post by Fiona »

Watched that last night. It was a nice twist.

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

I finally got around to watching the season finale of Succession. I love that show. I don't want to give it away, but yeah, the plot twist. The first season had quite a game changing twist at the end, too. Also.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras »

I am watching MOM, with Allison Janney. A mother and her grown daughter have their social life centered on their friends from Alcoholics Anonymous. Very amusing and even therapeutic (something rare in TV).

I also got myself the DVD set and binge watched all ten episodes of the short-lived LAW & ORDER - TRIAL BY JURY, with Bebe Neuwirth. A detailed showing of the prosecution preparations for trial once the defendant was arrested. Very good stories; the first two include Jerry Orbach as detective Lennie Briscoe.

Addie

Post by Addie »

I'm longing for Season 6 of Bosch, but Spring 2020 seems far off.

The LA Times has a neat article to tide me over. It's about the books, but still.
LA Times: The 15 most iconic Harry Bosch haunts across L.A.

Return to “The Lounge”