What are you watching on TV these days?

Addie

Re: What are you watching on TV these days?

Post by Addie » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:47 pm

"Yinz" will like it, Neon :-D

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:53 pm

Addie wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:47 pm
"Yinz" will like it, Neon :-D
Probably. And then after we'll go sit down by the "crick".
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:28 am

Slim Cognito wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:03 pm
Green Acres. It's on Prime and it's adorable.
Me Too

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:29 am

MRich wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:19 pm
Slim Cognito wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:03 pm
Green Acres. It's on Prime and it's adorable.
My mother is watching it on MeTV; I noticed it was on her DVR and asked her about it. She said "I love it, it's so funny!" I remember thinking it was stupid when I was a sullen teenager; maybe I'll check it out again!
When my son was in his Tween years, he loved it. He said it was like a live action cartoon.

Princess foofypants

Post by Princess foofypants » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:44 pm

Addie wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 11:45 am
For the traditional murder mystery fan. Having read several of the books, I've now watched all 18 episodes a second time on Amazon Prime. Still marvelous. One of the best series ever, imo. :thumbs:
Addie wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:38 pm
... Meanwhile, I'm into the terrific Brunetti Mysteries on MHz Choice; in German w/English subtitles. These are traditional murder mysteries. The lead detective is not a drunk or depressed or neurotic in any way. He is healthy-minded and perceptive, with a strong marriage and family life. The series is not overwrought in the sex and violence department. Refreshing, really. The magnificent Venice backdrop plays a big part.
Going to have to look for it. We’ve been loving Shetland and Endeavor but we ran out of episodes.

Hurtzi

Post by Hurtzi » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:00 pm

Princess foofypants wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:44 pm
Addie wrote:
For the traditional murder mystery fan. Having read several of the books, I've now watched all 18 episodes a second time on Amazon Prime. Still marvelous. One of the best series ever, imo. :thumbs:
Addie wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:38 pm
... Meanwhile, I'm into the terrific Brunetti Mysteries on MHz Choice; in German w/English subtitles. These are traditional murder mysteries. The lead detective is not a drunk or depressed or neurotic in any way. He is healthy-minded and perceptive, with a strong marriage and family life. The series is not overwrought in the sex and violence department. Refreshing, really. The magnificent Venice backdrop plays a big part.
Going to have to look for it. We’ve been loving Shetland and Endeavor but we ran out of episodes.

Watch at 3:54
The "water bear" is the first creature to live on the moon.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:18 pm

Hiya Princess :wave: I started playing catchup with Endeavor last night. I'm hoping he gets back together with Joanie. (Don't tell me.)
Princess foofypants wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:44 pm
Addie wrote:

ObjectiveDoubter

Post by ObjectiveDoubter » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:07 pm

neonzx wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:32 pm
Addie wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:57 pm
I reactivated Amazon Prime/CBS channel for another reason, but I ended up watching the Rust Belt mystery series, Dollar Bill.
This past week, I took the plunge and activated the CBS 'All Access' 7 day trial. Mainly I wanted to check out the Star Trek show but I found it not up to par (watched 2 episodes). I did binge the Twilight Zone and those are 50/50 hit/miss. But then I came upon Dollar Bill. Intriguing because I have roots in the coal/rust-belt of PA.

I'm probably not going to keep the CBS subscription beyond the trial, or at most, one month. It's $6/mo for 'limited commercials' (I've seen enough Absolut vodka promos) or $10/mo commercial free.
Before you cancel the Trial on CBS streaming, I'd recommend binging The Good Fight. We think it's the best current series. We loved The Good Wife and we think this is even more fun. It's timely, a bit bawdy since it's not on Network, and it's got clever inserts every so often ... including animated shorts! And soooo anti-Trump. (You know Hollywood, those Lefties, lol.) The season that just ended was the best, with Michael Sheen joining the cast as the most outrageous, most ridiculous, most unscrupulous and most lovable scoundrel lawyer.

We were just so sad that it was only 10 episodes, but that's where episodic series are going. Soon 22 episodes will be a rarity and the "Fall Season" will fade away, as short run shows take over year round. It's good -- you get more good things to watch. They just don't last as long. :(

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:19 pm

Chilidog wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:29 am
When my son was in his Tween years, he loved it. He said it was like a live action cartoon.
The whole premise of the show was ridiculous, but incredibly fun. I can understand why a sprout would see it as a live action cartoon. 8-)
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:41 am

Interesting scene in Queen Sugar last night.

ICE raided a medical clinic set up for migrant farmers and started demanding their papers. Charley told them it was an official clinic and had been registered so they had no legal authority to raid it. The ICE agent's response was "under this administration we have all the authority we need" as they hauled people off in handcuffs.

MRich

Post by MRich » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:56 pm

I've been watching all the Apollo 11 specials on CNN, NatGeo, Smithsonian, etc... Every time I get the same shiver of joy when I hear "Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:56 am

Starting 7/24/19 Netflix documentary:
The Bulwark - Richard North Patterson: The Great Hack

How Cambridge Analytica and Facebook took over the 2016 election.

In the opening moments of The Great Hack, one of its central figures ponders America’s 2016 presidential campaign: “Who was feeding us fear?” he asks. “And why?” This uncompromising Netflix documentary, available July 24, provides the answer: We have become commodities whose privacy has been peddled to those who would manipulate us for their own financial and political ends.

As cinema, The Great Hack is superb—a crisply edited, intimate, and propulsive story with fascinating characters. But what makes it uniquely important is the subject matter: the grotesque societal distortions perpetuated by tech giants such as Facebook, who use their dominance of the information economy to mine data which they barter for billions in profit. Through indifference and venality, they have enabled malign actors, including Cambridge Analytica and the Russians, to target users with hatred, disinformation, and propaganda which undermines free and fair elections in democracies around the globe.

PaulG

Post by PaulG » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:12 am

Just finished binge watching "Straight Forward" on Amazon. Very good NZ / Danish show about a con woman whose father was killed b a mobster. She tries for revenge and it all spirals out of control leading to a nice climax in NZ. Funny thing, I could have sworn that someone had already posted about a show about a con woman from Denmark whose father was killed, so she tries for revenge and it all spirals out of control. It's why I started watching this thing in the first place! Anyway this must be a different show but it's very good! I'm going to bed.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:00 pm

I'm going to look for this one, PaulG. It sounds like the sort of thing I'd like.

I'm finishing up FBI on Amazon Prime/CBS. I liked it well enough. I liked the characters, except for some reason, Sela Ward got on my nerves. She didn't used to, so I dunno.

Next up is the Icelandic Trapped, Season 2. I enjoyed Season 1 very much, so I have hopes. The series is worth watching for the scenery alone, imo.

PaulG wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:12 am
Just finished binge watching "Straight Forward" on Amazon. Very good NZ / Danish show about a con woman whose father was killed b a mobster. She tries for revenge and it all spirals out of control leading to a nice climax in NZ. Funny thing, I could have sworn that someone had already posted about a show about a con woman from Denmark whose father was killed, so she tries for revenge and it all spirals out of control. It's why I started watching this thing in the first place! Anyway this must be a different show but it's very good! I'm going to bed.

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:03 am

MRich wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:56 pm
I've been watching all the Apollo 11 specials on CNN, NatGeo, Smithsonian, etc... Every time I get the same shiver of joy when I hear "Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."
I have been watching various Apollo shows as well. I can't say I remember the original landing, even if I was in the room when my parents were watching. I would have been an infant then.
North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

PaulG

Post by PaulG » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:51 am

Northland10 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:03 am

I have been watching various Apollo shows as well. I can't say I remember the original landing, even if I was in the room when my parents were watching. I would have been an infant then.
I'm going to dig out my copy of "The Dish" (2000) which is my favorite moon landing movie. (I'm lying. "The Mouse on the Moon" (1963) is my favorite, but never mind.)

There's a scene in the movie with a little blond boy showing his tin foil covered cardboard model of the Lem to his elementary class. That's what my brother was doing in 1969. I was three grades younger but we all had little presentations on the moon landing.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:59 pm

The final season of Orange is the New Black just came out today on Netflix!

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:23 pm

I watched a really, really distressing Australian true crime movie, The Snowtown Murders. Not that it was bad as a film, quite the opposite, just a sick-making topic. (pedophilia, vigilantism, serial murder) Blech! :eek2:

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:58 pm

Addie wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:23 pm
I watched a really, really distressing Australian true crime movie, The Snowtown Murders. Not that it was bad as a film, quite the opposite, just a sick-making topic. (pedophilia, vigilantism, serial murder) Blech! :eek2:
And yet it pulled you in. That's good film making and story telling.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:59 pm

Bill_G wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:59 pm
The final season of Orange is the New Black just came out today on Netflix!
Spoiler alert:
How does Suzanne know about the stones at Craigh na Dun?

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:01 am

True dat.
Bill_G wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:58 pm
Addie wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:23 pm
And yet it pulled you in. That's good film making and story telling.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:03 am

F@#$& Trump.

I was happily binging the Sharpe, the 1993+ British series set in the Napoleonic wars. Starring an amazingly gorgeous and young Sean Bean as a sergeant field-promoted to lieutenant by Wellington himself. Battles, skirmishes, and an astonishing 3 rounds per minute by Sharpe’s rifles. Spanish spies, idiotic and entitled officers, the bloody and senseless Siege of Badajoz...

You see where I’m going with this, don’t you? I couldn’t watch yesterday.

Now I’m looking for a costume drama or romance. Something pretty with no violence. Set in another time and place. I now have Britbox, so there’s that. Any ideas?
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:07 am

The miniseries about Roger Ailes is wild. It shows his talent for making successful TV, but also he was a really sick guy and maybe a sociopath. And it implies in a not so subtle way that Trump 2016 was his creation and he was pulling the strings on that campaign.

bob

Post by bob » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:14 pm

Turtle wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:07 am
The miniseries about Roger Ailes is wild. It shows his talent for making successful TV, but also he was a really sick guy and maybe a sociopath. And it implies in a not so subtle way that Trump 2016 was his creation and he was pulling the strings on that campaign.
"The Loudest Voice"?

That's funny: Larry Klayman sued Showtime to enjoin its viewing. :think:
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:19 pm

bob wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:14 pm
Turtle wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:07 am
"The Loudest Voice"?

That's funny: Larry Klayman sued Showtime to enjoin its viewing. :think:
Yes, episode 7 aired last night. The guy they got to play Hannity looks nothing like him. It has to be on purpose, considering all the prosthetics, etc. work they did to Russell Crowe.

It is based on Gabriel Sherman's book.

Return to “The Lounge”