What are you watching on TV these days?

Maybenaut

Re: What are you watching on TV these days?

Post by Maybenaut » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:54 am

Can’t bring myself to watch Good Omens. Wasn’t a fan of American Gods the book; never saw the TV show.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:22 am

Watch it for Sheen and Tennant, I fast forwarded through the rest.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:03 pm

I'm watching the Argentine psychological suspense thriller Epitafios; (in Spanish w/English subtitles); two seasons on Amazon Prime/HBO. Four teenagers were horrifically killed at school in a hostage situation five years before, leading to the current crimes of a serial killer seeking revenge or justice, stalking and murdering those he sees as sharing in responsibility for the earlier crime, including an ex-cop, a psychiatrist and others on a long list. Set in Buenos Aires. Classy production, excellent show, a good binge. :thumbs:

Kate, thanks for bringing up Tin Star, Season 2. I thought it was great. Ready for Season 3. :thumbs:

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:13 pm

Fogbow rocks, y'all have such sophisticated taste while I'm watching Lindsay Lohan's Beach Club (dammit, MTV cancelled it after only one season). ;) Just kidding, even I didn't watch that. Seriously, we just find the news so harrowing that we just want to be entertained these days. (My 1st Broadway credit was the Harvey Milk play "Execution of Justice", so I've had my share of intense too).

Along with the game shows, Amazon has hooked in, now they have classic TV series, many remastered, from I Love Lucy to Brady Bunch. Honeymooners, That Girl, Twilight Zone... I bet they will have higher ratings than the original shows.

https://www.amazon.com/primeinsider/video/retro-tv.html
Avatar Photo: Rusty, the All American Squirrel, was given Karl P. Koenigs' gun. Rusty: "Sucks to be you, Karl."
Don't miss Fogbow's favorite show, "Mama June: From Not To Hot: "The Road To Intervention"

PaulG

Post by PaulG » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:14 pm

Maybenaut wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:54 am
Can’t bring myself to watch Good Omens. Wasn’t a fan of American Gods the book; never saw the TV show.
I promise you, Good Omens is as unlike American Gods as two books can be. I have to keep slapping myself to accept they have an author in common. I think it's got more Pratchett than Gaiman TBH.

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:15 pm

At the National Review, Kyle Smith was having a poutrage that Fosse/Verdon included Gwen Verdon and was not just about Fosse. He whined that Verdon was some second-rate hoofer and did not deserve to be part of the story. He blamed feminism and the metoo movement for taken attention away from the white male.

I was pissed but Wonkette comes to the rescue.

https://www.wonkette.com/some-dingus-na ... -not-stand
Some Dingus Named Kyle Is Dragging Gwen Verdon In The National Review.This Will Not Stand!
I loves me some Wonkette. :daydream:
North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:24 pm

Northland10 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:15 pm
At the National Review, Kyle Smith was having a poutrage that Fosse/Verdon included Gwen Verdon and was not just about Fosse. He whined that Verdon was some second-rate hoofer and did not deserve to be part of the story. He blamed feminism and the metoo movement for taken attention away from the white male.

I was pissed but Wonkette comes to the rescue.

https://www.wonkette.com/some-dingus-na ... -not-stand
Some Dingus Named Kyle Is Dragging Gwen Verdon In The National Review.This Will Not Stand!
I loves me some Wonkette. :daydream:
That was the whole reason they did the miniseries! These kids. Kyle, just watch the movie All That Jazz if you want to focus on Bob. Gwen Verdon was awesome as a performer and as a person and it was terrific to give her deserved credit as one of the best women in show business.

1958!

Avatar Photo: Rusty, the All American Squirrel, was given Karl P. Koenigs' gun. Rusty: "Sucks to be you, Karl."
Don't miss Fogbow's favorite show, "Mama June: From Not To Hot: "The Road To Intervention"

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:28 pm

Orlylicious wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:24 pm
That was the whole reason they did the miniseries! These kids. Kyle, just watch the movie All That Jazz if you want to focus on Bob. Gwen Verdon was awesome as a performer and as a person and it was terrific to give her deserved credit as one of the best women in show business.
And Michelle Williams better damn we'll get at least an Emmy nomination. She was amazing.
North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:36 pm

Northland, my buddy Tom O'Neil predicts she'll win over at Gold Derby. Hope so! Sam Rockwell was also amazing and that part was even harder.
Michelle.JPG

https://www.goldderby.com/awardshows/ed ... rt/recent/

Did you see how much she looked like Mary Tyler Moore? Somebody was inspired to write from that wonderful performance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:57 pm

Binging my way through Letterkenny right now. It's spectacularly good.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:00 am

Believe me, I know what you mean. How do you think I watched 30 episodes in a row of Detective Montalbano recently? I love the show, but I just had to bug out of the news. Anyway, about Epitafios, I hope you keep it in mind for another time. I don't want to give anything away, but it has artistic and thematic aspects I think you would appreciate.
Orlylicious wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:13 pm
... Seriously, we just find the news so harrowing that we just want to be entertained these days.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:18 am

Where is this streaming, Mike? I'll check it out. Thanks.
Mikedunford wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:57 pm
Binging my way through Letterkenny right now. It's spectacularly good.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:11 am

Hulu. It started as YouTube shorts, got picked up by a Canadian streaming company, and is now a Hulu original. About 40 episodes so far.

It's a Canadian comedy. They do a great job tempering cringeworthy things with empathy. And manage to somehow do smart, even intellectual, comedy with fart jokes.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:50 pm

ty Mike :kiss:

jmj

Post by jmj » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:58 pm

PaulG wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:14 pm
Maybenaut wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:54 am
I promise you, Good Omens is as unlike American Gods as two books can be. I have to keep slapping myself to accept they have an author in common. I think it's got more Pratchett than Gaiman TBH.
Glad to hear that. I was considering watching Good Omens since I generally like David Tennant, but was hesitating because, like Maybenaut, I just didn't like American Gods very much. But I might give it a chance if it's quite different.

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:13 pm

jmj wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:58 pm
PaulG wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:14 pm
Glad to hear that. I was considering watching Good Omens since I generally like David Tennant, but was hesitating because, like Maybenaut, I just didn't like American Gods very much. But I might give it a chance if it's quite different.
It's worth your time to check out. It's broken into 6 episodes ~50 minutes each.

And from the humor standpoint, many of you have probably seen this story re: Good Omens,
https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/i ... zon-primes
The petition in question sought to have “Good Omens,” which tells the story of a demon and an angel who team up to defeat the Antichrist and prevent the apocalypse, removed from Netflix — even though it streams on Amazon Prime.

The effort is being led by the Return to Order campaign, which operates under The Foundation for a Christian Civilization group. :snippity:
Petition (since corrected to reflect Amazon, not Netflix):
https://www.returntoorder.org/petition/ ... ood-omens/
The Amazon series "Good Omens," based on a book by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, portrays the agents of Good and Evil as fighters in an arbitrary struggle devoid of meaning and truth. This series presents devils and Satanists as normal and even good, where they merely have a different way of being, and mocks God's wisdom in the following ways:

• An angel and demon are good friends, and are meant to be earth's ambassadors for Good and Evil respectively.

• This pair tries to stop the coming of the Antichrist because they are comfortable and like the earth so much.

• God is voiced by a woman.

• The Antichrist, who will oppose the Kingdom of God, is portrayed as a normal kid that has special powers and a mission to destroy the world which he doesn't really want to do.

• There are groups of Satanic "nuns" that are chosen to raise the Antichrist.

• The four riders of the Apocalypse, God's means of punishing sinful earth, are portrayed as a group of bikers.

In the end, this is a denial of Good and Evil: morality and natural law do not exist, just humanitarianism and an ultimately useless creed. This is another step to make Satanism appear normal, light and acceptable. We must show our rejection. Please sign our petition, telling Amazon that we will not stand silent as they destroy the barriers of horror we still have for evil.

To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:00 pm

Good Omens was a delight. I wish it could have become a regular series, but they always say leave 'em wanting more.

I just started watching Condor, an updated version of Six Days of the Condor. It's an AT&T show so I don't know where you can stream it. I took the easy way out and got the DVDs from the library. I picked it because I'm a big Brendan Fraser fan (and I don't care he's gained weight. He'll always be George of the Jungle to me), but the show is really good. I pick up the second DVD tomorrow.
We’re in NYC this week. ImageImageImage x4

Photoguy

Post by Photoguy » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:22 pm

A bit late to the party, but Chernobyl on Amazon was pretty good, imo.

ObjectiveDoubter

Post by ObjectiveDoubter » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:28 pm

Slim Cognito wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:00 pm
Good Omens was a delight. I wish it could have become a regular series, but they always say leave 'em wanting more.

I just started watching Condor, an updated version of Six Days of the Condor. It's an AT&T show so I don't know where you can stream it. I took the easy way out and got the DVDs from the library. I picked it because I'm a big Brendan Fraser fan (and I don't care he's gained weight. He'll always be George of the Jungle to me), but the show is really good. I pick up the second DVD tomorrow.
What is wrong with me? I watched the first episode of Good Omens but I couldn't get past thinking that Roland Bloom (Blum?) had shaved his beard and dyed his curly locks blond. Very disturbing (not that he'd done that, but that I felt that way.)

I must try again.

btw, Michael Sheen will star in Prodigal Son on Fox, this Fall. I saw the pilot and was completely surprised that I liked it a lot. I think it must be a Michael Sheen crush, or some such thing, as I've become irrational, obviously, where he is concerned. Obviously. :blink:

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:37 pm

ObjectiveDoubter wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:28 pm

What is wrong with me? I watched the first episode of Good Omens but I couldn't get past thinking that Roland Bloom (Blum?) had shaved his beard and dyed his curly locks blond. Very disturbing (not that he'd done that, but that I felt that way.)

I must try again.

Please do. There's only about eight episodes and, like most shows (other than Breaking Bad and Lost) it takes a couple to get the ball rolling. The dynamic between angelic Sheen and demonic (but not really) Tennet is hilarious, kind of an end-of-the-world Odd Couple.

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:00 pm

We are really enjoying our (mostly) news-and-politics-free weekend! Amazon Prime has a 1976 game show called Double Dare with a really young Alex Trebek... it's fun to see the clues and topic choices, hadn't thought of Errol Flynn and some of the others in years. It's an old Goodson Todman game. It's a very early use of their "new graphics" (it's the same system Family Feud used). There are a lot of technical issues, they have contestants and the experts is booths, at one point Trebek says he feels like he's talking through prison glass. Episode 12 has lots of issues, they can't get the booth to be closed at the right time, surprised they let it go. It's a strategy game that's got a slower pace, followed by having to stump experts. Many of the sponsors are long gone but Presto Fry Baby is like cockroaches, forever. :lol:

They also have the original Dynasty! One of my high school buddies is a writer on the reboot, it was really funny to see John Forsythe and Joan Collins again. Worked with Joan for a bit, awesome she is still going strong at 85 and had a UK tour a few months ago. Love seeing these old shows, thanks Amazon!

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:03 pm

Green Acres. It's on Prime and it's adorable.

MRich

Post by MRich » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:19 pm

Slim Cognito wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:03 pm
Green Acres. It's on Prime and it's adorable.
My mother is watching it on MeTV; I noticed it was on her DVR and asked her about it. She said "I love it, it's so funny!" I remember thinking it was stupid when I was a sullen teenager; maybe I'll check it out again!

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:57 pm

I reactivated Amazon Prime/CBS channel for another reason, but I ended up watching the Rust Belt mystery series, Dollar Bill. I wasn't sure I'd like it at first, but I got into it and binged. The dollar bill in the title is the major plot device, as it passes hand to hand in a depressed steel town outside of Pittsburgh PA. Each episode turns into a slice of Americana, telling the story of the last character to pocket the dollar bill, be it a baker, an ex-cop PI, a real estate shark, a single father, a school teacher, a child, a petty crook or big time con artist. As driverless cars practice circulating through the empty streets and everybody struggles to stay above water, the dollar bill ties back to an original crime that took place on the failing steel mill property. I liked this show a lot. :thumbs:

However, the original reason I reupped to the channel was to watch the true crime documentary, I Will Be Murdered. I remember when this crime took place, when a lawyer named Rodrigo Rosenberg bicycled out of his driveway in Guatemala and shortly turned up dead. I hadn't kept up with this story or the investigation, so it was all news to me, but wowser! what an ending. Watch it. :thumbs:

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:32 pm

Addie wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:57 pm
I reactivated Amazon Prime/CBS channel for another reason, but I ended up watching the Rust Belt mystery series, Dollar Bill.
This past week, I took the plunge and activated the CBS 'All Access' 7 day trial. Mainly I wanted to check out the Star Trek show but I found it not up to par (watched 2 episodes). I did binge the Twilight Zone and those are 50/50 hit/miss. But then I came upon Dollar Bill. Intriguing because I have roots in the coal/rust-belt of PA.

I'm probably not going to keep the CBS subscription beyond the trial, or at most, one month. It's $6/mo for 'limited commercials' (I've seen enough Absolut vodka promos) or $10/mo commercial free.
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Return to “The Lounge”