What are you watching on TV these days?

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Re: What are you watching on TV these days?

Post by Orlylicious » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:37 pm

MRich wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:16 pm
Orlylicious wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:18 am
We joined up (it's just $8.99 a month, we'll keep it for a few months) BroadwayHD.com, it's great! Tons of musicals and plays from Broadway, London and the road. Classics to fairly new shows (King and I, Memphis and lots of others are there along with classics like Cats and Les Miz). If you like theatre, check it out, we've really enjoyed it. https://www.broadwayhd.com
Oh, this looks great! Thank you!
Hope you enjoy it as much as we have! You can give a gift subscription too, it's only $8.99 and the recipient gets an email with a login for a month. People have loved it as birthday presents, just got a note today how much my friend is enjoying it. It's a unique gift. My friend Jane Krakowski (it's actually Krajkowski but she thought it would be easier without the j haha) is in the SHE LOVES ME on there and it's a lovely, happy production.
Avatar Photo: Rusty, the All American Squirrel, was given Karl P. Koenigs' gun. Rusty: "Sucks to be you, Karl."
Don't miss Fogbow's favorite show, "Mama June: From Not To Hot: "The Road To Intervention"

PaulG

Post by PaulG » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:51 pm

Addie wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:01 pm
I happen to be reading Dark Sacred Night, Kate, the second Renee Ballard book, where she works with Bosch on the Daisy case in later years. This season is interesting from that perspective. But the whole opioid mill criminal system is blowing me away. How the fuck on earth was this allowed to even happen? :blackeye:
Off Topic
I've been reading Dreamland which is an in-depth look at the opioid crisis. I'm not sure how comprehensive it is; I'd assume there is a lot more going on but it covers a lot too. How was this allowed to happen? The best answer seems to be it all escalated way quicker than anybody was ready for. And it's likely we still don't have the big picture. Small bits are themselves so huge that the enormity of the total defies description.

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:59 pm

Orlylicious wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:37 pm
Hope you enjoy it as much as we have! You can give a gift subscription too, it's only $8.99 and the recipient gets an email with a login for a month. People have loved it as birthday presents,
As soon as I saw you post it, I checked it out and saw the gift link. I ordered :dance: a gift for someone I'm sure is going to absolutely love it. Thanks!
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:11 pm

Thanks for that, PaulG. I remember intending to read Dreamland at some point but forgot to add it to my list. It's up there now :thumbs:
PaulG wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:51 pm
Off Topic
I've been reading Dreamland which is an in-depth look at the opioid crisis. I'm not sure how comprehensive it is; I'd assume there is a lot more going on but it covers a lot too. How was this allowed to happen? The best answer seems to be it all escalated way quicker than anybody was ready for. And it's likely we still don't have the big picture. Small bits are themselves so huge that the enormity of the total defies description.

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Orlylicious » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:52 pm

neonzx wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:59 pm
Orlylicious wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:37 pm
Hope you enjoy it as much as we have! You can give a gift subscription too, it's only $8.99 and the recipient gets an email with a login for a month. People have loved it as birthday presents,
As soon as I saw you post it, I checked it out and saw the gift link. I ordered :dance: a gift for someone I'm sure is going to absolutely love it. Thanks!
That's awesome! Holland Taylor as Ann Richards is hilarious
ANN 2016 (HD)
ANN is a no-holds-barred portrait of Ann Richards, the legendary governor of Texas. This inspiring and hilarious new play brings us face to face with a complex, colorful and captivating character bigger than the state from which she hailed. Written and performed by Emmy® Award winner Holland Taylor (“Two and a Half Men"),...

Billy Elliot from London I can watch again and again, Act II is just brilliant.
Billy Elliot 2014 (HD)
Based on the beloved film and winner of 10 Tony Awards® including Best Musical, Billy Elliot: The Musical Live from London’s West End is a celebration of one of the world’s most popular and successful stage shows. A modern-day fairy tale of a young boy who exchanges boxing gloves for ballet shoes, Billy’s story is set...

New Cirque du Soleil with Avatar (it was great)
Cirque du Soleil: TORUK - THE FIRST FLIGHT 2016 (HD)
Toruk – The First Flight is a live immersive multimedia spectacle that brings to the stage the breathtaking world of James Cameron’s Avatar like you have never seen it before. Through a riveting fusion of cutting edge visuals, puppetry and stagecraft buoyed by a soaring cinematic score, Cirque du Soleil applies its unique...

Even Richard Burton is in this, also his brilliant Richard II and III are on there.
Some Enchanted Evening: Richard Rodgers Tribute Gala
This star-studded gala celebrates the centenary of the birth of legendary Broadway composer Richard Rodgers. The 1980 performance at London’s Theatre Royal, Drury Lane includes songs, dance, staged numbers and anecdotes featuring leading stars from both Broadway and London’s West End. The cast comprises of luminaries drawn from Oklahoma! Kiss Me, Kate, Chicago, The King and I as well as other productions from television and the London stage.

Good times! Hope they enjoy it!
Avatar Photo: Rusty, the All American Squirrel, was given Karl P. Koenigs' gun. Rusty: "Sucks to be you, Karl."
Don't miss Fogbow's favorite show, "Mama June: From Not To Hot: "The Road To Intervention"

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:32 am

New comedy just released on Netflix streaming - BONDiNG

A female dom and her male gay friend from high school provide adult fantasy services in NYC.

Tiffany(aka Mistress May) and her oldest friend Pete (aka Carter) are a couple without benefits. Odd ducks but beautiful, adventurous but naive, clumsy, direct, and boldy shy, they make a winning team.

Seven easy to digest fifteen minutes segments that you can easily consume in an evening.

PS - this is actually almost safe for work. All sex is innuendo, suggestive, or heard off screen. It's not pron. It's situational comedy. A couple bare butts is all you get. Not even the flash of a nipple. Perhaps not for everyone, but funny to those that can appreciate it.

Now, who wants to get tied up in the chair?

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Sat May 11, 2019 2:52 pm

The first episode of Chernobyl is very good. It can be a little heavy but if you enjoy anti-soviet humor it’s great. Hoping the rest of the season maintains the same quality.

Also want to heap praise on Netflix’ Ted Bundy movie with Zac Efron, curious what the reception here was like.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Fri May 17, 2019 2:48 pm

I caught up with Chernobyl and I liked it. I thought the second one was even better.

I will have to check out the Ted Bundy film on Netflix. I recently watched a two-hour documentary on him, so I may have to wait for a while. I was reminded by the documentary of how really sick and twisted he was.

We were on a train to New Mexico when Episode 4 of Game of Thrones was on. I didn't dare go to most of my usual sites the next morning until I streamed it on the iPad. I finished it entering New Mexico, so I then didn't have to worry about any spoilers. They actually didn't kill off as many as I thought they would, but killed a few more off this week. There's a LOT of grumbling about this week's episode, but I was not as disappointed in it as many others, maybe because I've not read the books, so I'm not really down into the weeds with all the finer details and history. It finishes on Sunday.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sun May 19, 2019 10:38 pm

The end sucked, but at least Jon petted the damned dog.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sun May 19, 2019 10:42 pm

Chilidog wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 10:38 pm
The end sucked, but at least Jon petted the damned dog.
It was not at all what I expected. I'm going to have to chew over it for a while.

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Sun May 19, 2019 11:03 pm

***No Spoilers in this post***

We loved the last GoT, the cinematography alone is worth the watch. And the special effects are spectacular. It's a TV show, people seem to be going nuts, they needs to lighten up. So true -- "Insta-Complain" :lol: From Chicago Sun Times:
After some eight seasons, 73 episodes, nearly 600 major award nominations and 308 wins (including three best drama Emmys), one of the most beloved and acclaimed television shows of all-time closed the curtain Sunday night with a melancholy, bittersweet, twist-filled and at times surprisingly humorous send-off.
Over all, though, it was a solid and largely satisfying wrap-up to one of the most exciting and enthralling TV series ever.

Over the last 25+ years, I’ve reviewed thousands of movies and dozens of TV shows, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen the level of fan (and to a lesser degree, critical) vitriol leveled at “GoT” in recent weeks.

Then again, we didn’t have Twitter and In-Your-Facebook and Insta-Complain when the widely criticized “Seinfeld” finale aired in 1998, and social media was still in a relatively nascent stage when “The Sopranos” ended on what many perceived to be a flat note in the summer of 2007.
This link does have some spoilers: https://chicago.suntimes.com/2019/5/19/ ... tyrion-hbo

Spinoffs are coming and thanks to HBO for creating the framework for global TV production that opened doors to tens of thousands of industry professionals worldwide. Proud of the American entertainment industry! :clap:

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Mon May 20, 2019 8:42 am

Some folks were really upset about their fan theories being proven wrong a few weeks ago. They were never gonna give the rest of the season a chance.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Mon May 20, 2019 8:55 am

Tell you what: the end of Episode 2 of “Chernobyl” was more horrifying than anything Steven King ever wrote.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon May 20, 2019 10:12 am

Turtle wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:42 am
Some folks were really upset about their fan theories being proven wrong a few weeks ago. They were never gonna give the rest of the season a chance.
Yeah. I am sick and tired of all the criticism of the show writers. GRR Martin has already said - what happened in the show is what he (at least currently) envisions will happen in the books as far as the character arcs. He has been advising the show writers all along, even after they ran out of book material. I think it has to be said that Martin himself is the cause of all of this. He had an agreement to finish the books before they were needed for the show, and he failed to meet his obligation. The show writers more than lived up to their agreement, which was to adapt books that were already written.

Jamie is ultimately not going to have a happy ending with Brienne in the books. He will go back to Cersei in the books, too. As far as Dany taking a "dark turn" - anyone who didn't see that coming wasn't paying attention, IMO. They only thing that has previously prevented her from going that route earlier were her advisers. In the end, she was alone, listening only to her inner voice, and anyone familiar with the books or the show know what that inner voice was all about. Fire and blood and burning cities to the ground. And above all, the absolute entitlement she felt. There is no other character in the book that is anywhere near as entitled as Dany. And, this is where a feeling of pure unadulterated entitlement will get you. And Amon Targaryen told us long ago "a Targaryen alone in the world is a terrible thing". She threatened to "burn cities to the ground" even more often than Cersei Lannister used that phrase. This was never going to be a happy ending for all the characters, GRR Martin has always been of the opinion that is the main weakness of LoTR and other fantasy stories.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Mon May 20, 2019 12:20 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:55 am
Tell you what: the end of Episode 2 of “Chernobyl” was more horrifying than anything Steven King ever wrote.
I agree, and I've read a LOT of Stephen King.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Mon May 20, 2019 12:58 pm

RVInit wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 10:12 am
Turtle wrote:
Yeah. I am sick and tired of all the criticism of the show writers. GRR Martin has already said - what happened in the show is what he (at least currently) envisions will happen in the books as far as the character arcs. He has been advising the show writers all along, even after they ran out of book material. I think it has to be said that Martin himself is the cause of all of this. He had an agreement to finish the books before they were needed for the show, and he failed to meet his obligation. The show writers more than lived up to their agreement, which was to adapt books that were already written.

Jamie is ultimately not going to have a happy ending with Brienne in the books. He will go back to Cersei in the books, too. As far as Dany taking a "dark turn" - anyone who didn't see that coming wasn't paying attention, IMO. They only thing that has previously prevented her from going that route earlier were her advisers. In the end, she was alone, listening only to her inner voice, and anyone familiar with the books or the show know what that inner voice was all about. Fire and blood and burning cities to the ground. And above all, the absolute entitlement she felt. There is no other character in the book that is anywhere near as entitled as Dany. And, this is where a feeling of pure unadulterated entitlement will get you. And Amon Targaryen told us long ago "a Targaryen alone in the world is a terrible thing". She threatened to "burn cities to the ground" even more often than Cersei Lannister used that phrase. This was never going to be a happy ending for all the characters, GRR Martin has always been of the opinion that is the main weakness of LoTR and other fantasy stories.
I'm still chewing over this, but I think I agree with everything you said.

Dany was never good at ruling; only at destroying. Her arc didn't surprise me at all. Her death did (or maybe the way she died), but only slightly.

I see people on the Internet who are unhappy that two women were killed, or even that they were made villains. Cersei' was always evil; Dany was, too, if you were paying attention. But more than two good women survived. Good men lived; good men died.

I agree that GRR Martin is the real problem with the last few seasons, not the writers. Having said that, I think doing the last two seasons with fewer episodes didn't help.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Mon May 20, 2019 3:23 pm

:notlistening:
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Mon May 20, 2019 6:35 pm

:-D

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Mon May 20, 2019 7:46 pm

Not ever having watched GOT, is this how it ends?
► Show Spoiler
North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Mon May 20, 2019 8:33 pm

:rotflmao:

I suspect a lot of people might have preferred that ending!

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon May 20, 2019 10:20 pm

Northland10 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 7:46 pm
Not ever having watched GOT, is this how it ends?
► Show Spoiler
:-D :thumbs:
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Tue May 21, 2019 12:40 am

RVInit wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 10:12 am
Turtle wrote:

:clap: That was really well said!

Jaime is a Danish guy, we've met, this has been an incredible ride for all of them. Look forward to where we see these fine actors next!

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun May 26, 2019 11:45 am

For the traditional murder mystery fan. Having read several of the books, I've now watched all 18 episodes a second time on Amazon Prime. Still marvelous. One of the best series ever, imo. :thumbs:
Addie wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:38 pm
... Meanwhile, I'm into the terrific Brunetti Mysteries on MHz Choice; in German w/English subtitles. These are traditional murder mysteries. The lead detective is not a drunk or depressed or neurotic in any way. He is healthy-minded and perceptive, with a strong marriage and family life. The series is not overwrought in the sex and violence department. Refreshing, really. The magnificent Venice backdrop plays a big part.

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Sun May 26, 2019 1:23 pm

As ‘Game Of Thrones’ Ends, HBO’s ‘Chernobyl’ Quietly Becomes IMDB’s Highest Rated Show In History
https://apple.news/Amh9qgURJTXeo5eTrEev7Pw

PaulG

Post by PaulG » Sun May 26, 2019 2:44 pm

For those who want a lighter tone in their murder mysteries, I just finished watching all the Agatha Raisin episodes on Amazon. The pilot, the Quiche of Death, was a hoot. The next few episodes were frankly a little so-so, but they pick up and the last six are just hysterical. (There are twelve, so that's 7 versus 5.) It's not new. I was avoiding it because I never really liked the books, but done as TV episodes or feature length TV-movies, they seem to come to life. I hated the internal monologues in the books, but the TV does away with that.

Return to “The Lounge”