Musical Interlude

Northland10

Re: Musical Interlude

Post by Northland10 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:30 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:56 pm
It being the season, the view last night in Houston shortly before a complete performance of the St. Matthew Passion.

You probably have never heard or heard of the oboe da caccia. There is a reason for that.
Actually, I have heard of the instrument. This is a result of having a degree in music and growing up with a mother who taught and performed on recorder and did various old music performances (I once performed some Henry VIII music on crumhorn for my high school history class). That said, I don't recall ever having seen an oboe da caccia or hearing one, beyond those on recordings.

BTW, the organs used as part of the continuos (often played with a keyboard instrument and viol or bassoon for the bass line) are those small brown keyboard instruments on the stage, at least one them. They are often referred to as "postiv" organs and only contain a couple sets of pipes with a single manual (i.e. keyboard). I would not have been surprised if they had manually pumped bellows on those, but I do not see any lever though the sitting organist could be pumping by pedal.

Thanks for the post, Volkonski.
North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:10 pm

Northland10 wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:30 pm
Volkonski wrote:
It being the season, the view last night in Houston shortly before a complete performance of the St. Matthew Passion.

You probably have never heard or heard of the oboe da caccia. There is a reason for that.
Actually, I have heard of the instrument. This is a result of having a degree in music and growing up with a mother who taught and performed on recorder and did various old music performances (I once performed some Henry VIII music on crumhorn for my high school history class). That said, I don't recall ever having seen an oboe da caccia or hearing one, beyond those on recordings.

BTW, the organs used as part of the continuos (often played with a keyboard instrument and viol or bassoon for the bass line) are those small brown keyboard instruments on the stage, at least one them. They are often referred to as "postiv" organs and only contain a couple sets of pipes with a single manual (i.e. keyboard). I would not have been surprised if they had manually pumped bellows on those, but I do not see any lever though the sitting organist could be pumping by pedal.

Thanks for the post, Volkonski.
The were electric blowers for the organs located underneath the organist's benches.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:41 pm

Note, in this performance they have increased the number of soloists to 10 by giving some of the alto parts to counter tenors.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:47 pm

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:26 am

Democracy is a garden that has to be tended. -Barack Obama

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:12 pm

Talk about memory lane! The lead's voice is reminiscent of (BE STILL MY BEATING 💓) Johnny Mathis's. :swoon:

A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: African-American Naomi Anderson was a leader in the suffrage movement in the west, a published poet, barber, community activist, and teacher.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:34 pm

A little heart-string pulling can do a body good :-D

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:00 am

Because of the practice and preparation for next week, I have this song stuck in my head. At least it's a lovely piece.

North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:05 am

N10, thank you! What a soothing way to start the week. :daydream:
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: African-American Naomi Anderson was a leader in the suffrage movement in the west, a published poet, barber, community activist, and teacher.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:40 pm

Not quite as uplifting as NL10’s, but lovely all the same.

I’ve been trying (and failing) to get to one of her shows for a long time. She doesn’t get out to California often. This year, we saw her twice in one week!

If you live in LA and like music, you’ve probably been to McCabe’s Guitar Shop in Santa Monica. They close the store and set up folding chairs in the middle of the store, in front of the tiny stage, on weekend nights for live music. They especially like to promote new, local talent. Bonnie Raitt played there before she got famous to a crowd of 10. :lol: The sound quality for the concert Friday night was better than any I’ve heard in years.

Edited to exchange versions
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:37 am

This past Saturday evening. The local community concert band. Mrs. V. is the one wearing black.

East Texas composer Ken Booker conducted his "Black Water Scenes Suite".

"Black Water" refers to an illusion that happens when water is covered by heavy shade as often happens in the dense forests of east Texas.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:56 pm

In Florida we have many "blackwater" streams, but they get their name for a different reason - organic matter stains the water and gives it a dark appearance. Dead leaves and such.

Also, too: :rotflmao: Mrs V is the one in black.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:47 am

https://www.bing.com
Push the icon to hear the music.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Mary+Lou+ ... 80430_0700"
Swinging into International Jazz Day

You are seeing–and hearing, if you click the audio button on the lower-right corner of the homepage–the musical stylings of Mary Lou Williams, often called the first lady of the jazz keyboard. Williams was a composer, arranger, and pianist who recorded more than 100 records, collaborating with the likes of Dizzy Gillespie, Thelonious Monk, and Duke Ellington. She’s photographed here in 1943 by photographer Gjon Mili, who often hosted jazz jam sessions at his New York City studio.

Williams began performing publicly at the tender age of 7 and became a professional while still in her teens. At 15, while performing with McKinney’s Cotton Pickers in Harlem, she was encouraged when Louis Armstrong paused to listen, walked up to the stage, and gave her a kiss. She gained national prominence in the early 1930s with her first solo piano recordings. Williams’ career spanned decades and ventured into swing, bebop, and sacred music. Looking back on her life, Williams reflected: ‘I did it, didn't I? Through muck and mud.’ Here’s to a pioneer of American music on this International Jazz Day.

phaseolus

Post by phaseolus » Wed May 02, 2018 4:34 pm

Volkonski wrote:
It being the season, the view last night in Houston shortly before a complete performance of the St. Matthew Passion. ...

:snippity:
I was listening to the same piece online around Easter, at this site, also performed on original instruments. Tab over to the right a bit and there's an interview with the conductor that's pretty interesting -- apparently this piece is tremendously popular in The Netherlands. It's kind of a paradox, a spiritual work like this so popular in a country that's so secular, in the cities at least, and he has a fascinating take on that.

phaseolus

Post by phaseolus » Wed May 02, 2018 4:47 pm

So I've been a fan of Janelle Monáe since The ArchAndroid ... oh god, has it been 8 years ago already? So a few days ago I check her website to see if she'd be performing nearby with the new album release (and she is! Milwaukee Summerfest, July 6!), and the first thing I find at her website is a full-length dystopian Science Fiction pop musical film. She's amazing, she transcends all the categories you're tempted to file her away in.

Turn up the volume, go watch --

http://www.jmonae.com/

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed May 02, 2018 6:08 pm

phaseolus wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 4:34 pm
Volkonski wrote:
It being the season, the view last night in Houston shortly before a complete performance of the St. Matthew Passion. ...

:snippity:
I was listening to the same piece online around Easter, at this site, also performed on original instruments. Tab over to the right a bit and there's an interview with the conductor that's pretty interesting -- apparently this piece is tremendously popular in The Netherlands. It's kind of a paradox, a spiritual work like this so popular in a country that's so secular, in the cities at least, and he has a fascinating take on that.
Transformation of Europe from a "Christian Continent" to a secular society was not a revolution, people estimated their cultural heritage. No one had the need to throw out religious themed music, secular "religion" did not require the cleasing of music inspired by some demonic devil figure. During the early times of the Enlightenment Period it was the worldly authorities (kings etc) that sponsored the great composer of their time (Bach etc), it was not the church that ordered and paid. For their time this was also considered entertainment music, not religiously church bound. Much of the religious heritage of Catholicism was lost earlier during the Reformation Period when Protestants turned to frugality and destroyed religious artefacts. One Catholic heritage that seems to survive as a cultural item are Gregorian chants.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue May 08, 2018 4:15 pm

This past Sunday-

Brahms "German Requiem", the Houton Symphony Orchestra and Chorus at Jones Hall.

As we left the hall we found this large Cinco de Mayo celebration going on across the street at Jones Plaza.

The sudden change from Lutheran profundities to Mexican lighthearted celebration was........interesting. ;)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri May 11, 2018 4:33 pm

Cross posting-
Volkonski wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:23 am
Grumpy Old Guy wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:46 pm
This is from Wikipedia:

This is the guy who wants to ensure the deaths of many Americans, Koreans, Iranians etc.
1970? He graduated during the big antiwar student strike that ended my freshman year a few weeks early.

I rememeber watching the faculty vote on ending the semester because of the strike. I was surprised that they voted to shut down. Guess I assumed that they would be more conservative in their political leanings.

I didn't get to just go home like most of my fellow freshmen. The band had a recording session scheduled and I had to stick around for that. (I was one of only 3 tubas.) I still have copies of that recording, the Suite for Band and the Symphony for Band by John Bavicchi. Those works were relatively new then and had not been recorded before.
Whilst unpacking some boxes today guess what I found. :-D Sobering to realize that those recording sessions happened 48 years ago! :shock: Could I be getting old? ;)

http://www.worldcat.org/title/festival- ... c/35336501

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun May 13, 2018 10:51 pm

Our daughters live too far away to visit on Mother's Day. :( So I took Mrs. V. to the Bayou Theater to see Mercury perform Mozart's "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik" and Vivaldi's "The Four Seasons".

The Mercury is one of the treasures of Greater Houston. They perform mostly works from Monteverdi thru Beethoven and can manage anything from a duet to a large work for chorus and orchestra.

Things being as they are today we knew that we would be able to buy tickets at the door. :(

(I can remember when the just about the only way to get tickets to the Boston Symphony Orchestra was to wait until a subscriber died.)

Then Mrs. V. and I let Google direct us to a very fine Mediterranean restaurant only 7 minutes away. :-D

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Thu May 24, 2018 1:13 am

Look at this guy’s fingers, so long! I bet he could play bar chords with his pinky.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Thu May 24, 2018 3:17 pm

I was struck particularly by two songs, last night. The poet is a prophet. This, from the ‘Concert in Central Park’ is still my favorite version because of Artie’s sweet voice.

American Tune causes salty water to fall unimpeded out of my eyes, every time. It’s only more poignant today.

The Boy in the Bubble is from ‘Graceland’ and was written in ‘83ish. Listen to those words.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

kate520

Post by kate520 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:00 pm

This is for the attorneys*. You know who you are.

* I saw a sign on a business yesterday that said ‘Attornies’. I really wanted to ask them about it but it was night.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

MojoSapien

Post by MojoSapien » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:50 pm

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:41 pm

much ado

Post by much ado » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:29 pm

Thanks Addie. CCR's tunes still sound great!

Neil Gow (1727-1807) was the most famous Scottish fiddler of the 18th century. One his best known tunes is "Neil Gow's Lament for the Death of His Second Wife". His second wife died in 1805. This is a performance on recorders by the Austrian group "Quadriga Consort" who specialize in music of the British Isles. The harmony when the second recorder comes in is especially nice.

Return to “The Lounge”