Recipes!

Paul Lentz

Re: Recipes!

Post by Paul Lentz »

Some years ago (maybe 25+) my oldest brother (who was always VERY firm about what he wanted and didn't want, and generally got his way) declared to his wife--and their housekeeper, who was also their cook--that he would no longer eat (and did NOT want to see on his table) anything which "swims, or flies (or has wings); anything which is green, yellow, or red." I believe he made an exception to the "yellow" for eggs.

Think about that. What he basically said was: I'll eat beef, pork, veal, or lamb. No chicken, turkey, duck, goose, pheasant, squab; no crabs, lobster, clams, shrimp or fish of any sort. I'll eat potatoes, rice, pasta (but no green or yellow veggies and no tomatoes or tomato-based sauces); no salads; I'll eat lentils but not split peas; I'll eat black-eyed peas and baked beans (maybe), but not green beans or squash/zucchini, spinach, collards, mustard greens, okra, or beets. Carrots are iffy. (because they're somewhere between yellow and red), so don't bother. Most citrus: ditto.

When we were growing up--as you all might have gathered--we ate whatever came to hand from the grove or the garden, or in trade to other farmers (including dairy, cattle and pig) for our citrus and excess garden produce. In my recollection, my brother was never a fussy eater at all, regardless of what was on our table. I have no idea what the genesis of this particular edict might have been...maybe just because he could; maybe an adult rebellion to a childhood diet heavy on fruit and veggies and chicken and fish, and a bit light on beef and pork (and nonexistent on veal and lamb)

On one memorable occasion, my brother came to visit us in Durham. I had not briefed CB on his diet preferences, and she made (dear Gawd!) a wonderful baked chicken dish which contained mushrooms and was principally flavored with (obvious, but not overpowering) chopped tarragon leaves. My brother ate it (although the meat was a "flyer") politely, even complimented CB on the dish (which is--to be sure--excellent, and remains a staple in our home today). But in the middle of that night, he actually woke us up to ask (with some anxiety) what the "green stuff" was in the dish (that was the chopped tarragon) and to suggest that it was an hallucinogenic. CB tried to reassure him ("It's fresh chopped tarragon out of our garden"), but he remained convinced that CB and I had conspired to "drug" him with chicken (flyer) and tarragon (green). Future visits from my brother were greeted with pot roast, hamburgers, and pork chops.
The love of power will not win over the power of love.
Orlando, Florida 6/12/16

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

My favorite grocery store is having a limited sale on Copper River Salmon next Saturday

Making plans now for the weekend!

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie.

its that time of year.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

This past Thursday we had lobsters. Since Mrs. V. and our older daughter are off at a family wedding reunion in Maine this weekend I had the leftover lobster yesterday as lobster rolls.

My recipe is simple, coarse chunks of lobster, chopped celery and mayonnaise. :thumbs:

On the way to Maine Mrs. V. dropped off her flute in Boston for an overhaul. $1600.00 :shock:
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

tek

Post by tek »

Volkonski wrote:On the way to Maine Mrs. V. dropped off her flute in Boston for an overhaul. $1600.00 :shock:
Three startups ago, I was working on the floor below Powell Flutes in the Maynard mill.. lots of music thru the lanolin-soaked floors ;)
There's no way back
from there to here

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

tek wrote:
Volkonski wrote:On the way to Maine Mrs. V. dropped off her flute in Boston for an overhaul. $1600.00 :shock:
Three startups ago, I was working on the floor below Powell Flutes in the Maynard mill.. lots of music thru the lanolin-soaked floors ;)
Mrs. V's flute is a Powell. :thumbs:
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Butterfly Bilderberg

Post by Butterfly Bilderberg »

Looking for an easy recipe for pepperoni stromboli, especially one calling for frozen bread dough or dough that can mixed and kneaded in a food processor. Anyone?

I tried the Pillsbury pizza dough. Ugh!
"Pity the nation that acclaims the bully as hero,
and that deems the glittering conqueror bountiful."
- Kahlil Gibran, The Garden of The Prophet

P.K.
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning.

Post by P.K. »

I made this for dinner tonight, using the ridiculous amount of Sungold Cherry Tomatoes I picked off one plant yesterday.

http://brooklynfarmgirl.com/?s=roasted+ ... mato+sauce

I served it with spaghetti; those of you doing low-carb could probably find other delicious things to use it with. Two 8 oz jars of it went into the freezer to use as pizza sauce in the future. I highly recommend this recipe if you have two many tomatoes! If you have regular tomatoes, just cut them into one-inch pieces.
IANALBIPOOTV - I am not a lawyer, but I've played one on TV. In fact, IANA (fill in the blank) but chances are I've played one on TV.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

P.K. wrote:I made this for dinner tonight, using the ridiculous amount of Sungold Cherry Tomatoes I picked off one plant yesterday.

I served it with spaghetti; those of you doing low-carb could probably find other delicious things to use it with. Two 8 oz jars of it went into the freezer to use as pizza sauce in the future. I highly recommend this recipe if you have two many tomatoes! If you have regular tomatoes, just cut them into one-inch pieces.
How spicy/hot on a scale of 10? I enjoy spicy but not death to your tongue spicy.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

P.K.
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning.

Post by P.K. »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
P.K. wrote:I made this for dinner tonight, using the ridiculous amount of Sungold Cherry Tomatoes I picked off one plant yesterday.

How spicy/hot on a scale of 10? I enjoy spicy but not death to your tongue spicy.
I'd give it a zero. There's no spice in it at all besides a bit of onion powder and a bit of garlic powder. My husband absolutely cannot have anything spicy since his teeth were removed and he got dentures (which sucks because he loved spicy foods) and he was able to eat this just fine. He also can't have acidic stuff and this was OK, because the tomatoes were so sweet.
IANALBIPOOTV - I am not a lawyer, but I've played one on TV. In fact, IANA (fill in the blank) but chances are I've played one on TV.

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Butterfly Bilderberg wrote:Looking for an easy recipe for pepperoni stromboli, especially one calling for frozen bread dough or dough that can mixed and kneaded in a food processor. Anyone?

I tried the Pillsbury pizza dough. Ugh!
Does anyone have an answer for this one? I didn't want it to get lost.
For more information, read it again.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

tek

Post by tek »

Supermarket dough (fresh, not frozen, usually in the case where they have fresh pizza ingredients) works pretty well.

I've never liked making dough in a food processor, so I can't help there.

no-knead pizza dough works as well, e.g.http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012 ... ecipe.html - that just has to be started the day before. Also, I'd add maybe a couple tablespoons of olive oil, makes rolling out easier.

roll out a chunk of dough, fill and roll it up, slit the top to vent, bake, eat.
There's no way back
from there to here

tek

Post by tek »

Also, pizza dough (which is what you need here) doesn't need as much kneading as bread dough.. so you can probably whip it up without much to-do..

We brought the little pizza oven to the big car show in PA a couple weeks ago, and daughter.tek and I made pizza dough in the hotel room the night before with no power tools.. came out great..

Homemade yeast doughs want to be awesome.. don't be afraid of them..
There's no way back
from there to here

Lunaluz
Occupation: Bean Counter for Boeing Commercial. You break it I find a way to fix it.

Post by Lunaluz »

I used to work in a bakery, we made Stromboli from frozen Bread dough like Rhodes..let it thaw overnight in the fridge,roll it out to whatever thickness you want.. fill and roll up and bake. I have also used ready made pizza dough that many grocery stores sell in the deli.. roll out and fill, roll up and bake. Seam side down on the baking sheet and a couple slashes on the top. I have egg washed the top and sprinkled poppy or sesame seeds on the egg wash.. I think I need to bake one this weekend lol..it has been awhile.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Lunaluz wrote:I used to work in a bakery, we made Stromboli from frozen Bread dough like Rhodes..let it thaw overnight in the fridge,roll it out to whatever thickness you want.. fill and roll up and bake. I have also used ready made pizza dough that many grocery stores sell in the deli.. roll out and fill, roll up and bake. Seam side down on the baking sheet and a couple slashes on the top. I have egg washed the top and sprinkled poppy or sesame seeds on the egg wash.. I think I need to bake one this weekend lol..it has been awhile.
I PM'd BB right after she asked the question that I would try the frozen bread dough. My mom used to use that to make pizza (I find it a bit gummy to work with).

Another foodie thing I've discovered at our summer home, which is surrounded by real (non-corporate) farms: real chicken! My husband has grilled bone in, skin on chicken breasts twice now, and they are sooooo good! Not stringy, not dry and tasteless. Not like anything you can buy at a big city supermarket (organic and free range included). Tonight I made my husband's favorite cucumber and onion salad with local cukes and it was one of the best meals we've ever had. And Traverse City cherries for dessert. Yum!
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

This is a recipe for pizza dough for deep dish Chicago style pizza. As you know, with deep dish, if you don't get the dough right, you'll end up with a partially-undone crust, yuck. This recipe comes from a guy who used to work at Gino's East in Chicago - it's their recipe, downsized.

This is a really good recipe for crust, deep dish style or regular. It also makes great breadsticks, so I'd definitely give it a try for stromboli.

The basic recipe is this (starting with 1 cup of flour as a base and you can multiply it as you like. For a 12-inch pizza, you'll need 3 1/2 cups flour.)
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour

6-7 Tablespoons water (the amount of hydration depends on the age of the flour, humidity, etc.)--I usually use 6 1/2 TBS. You can add more flour or water as necessary.

3 Tablespoons oil (light olive oil preferred)

3/4 teaspoon yeast

1/2 teaspoon sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt (I use Kosher salt)
Mix for 1 minute, then knead for no more than 2 minutes. Let rise for about 6 hours or so. Punch down, then cover and let the gluten relax for 10-15 minutes or so. Then either roll it out or press into a pan. I recommend using a cast iron skillet for best results.

(DejaMoo sez: I just made it in the bread machine on dough cycle, took it out, rested for 10 minutes, then rolled it out. It's great!)
I've heard this bull before.

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Eating one of my favorite meals this evening.

Butternut Squash Ravioli with Mushroom Sauce. I put this sauce on crusted chicken breasts for company and they rave over the sauce on the chicken.

For the sauce:
1 package mixed fresh mushrooms (I buy the gourmet mushroom mix from Publix, it has shitake, oyster, and all kinds of others - yum yum)
1 or 2 shallots
butter
Equal parts, sort of - white wine, vegetable (or chicken) broth or stock, heavy cream (less of the cream than the other two, to your own taste)
fresh sage
lemon juice

Saute minced mushrooms and shallots in butter. Add wine and cook the alcohol out of it. Reduce to about 1/2 or less. Add broth/stock and cook until it's pretty thick, reduce to whatever thickness and flavor you like (you will want no or low salt stock, otherwise it can get salty from cooking down so much). When I have time I will add the broth a little at a time and really concentrate the flavors, I use veggie stock myself. When the sauce is about as thick and cooked down as you care for add a splash of lemon juice and sage cut in thin ribbons. Add heavy cream at the end and heat through. Serve over ravioli or cooked breaded chicken or whatever. Really yummy is this one.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Has anyone done beer can chicken on the grill? Is it worth it?
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

IMO it's just another way of basting chicken. I always thought I made better tasting chicken when I basted with a spiced butter.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo »

Whatever4 wrote:Has anyone done beer can chicken on the grill? Is it worth it?
Yes and no.
Image Image Image Image Image

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

Whatever4 wrote:Has anyone done beer can chicken on the grill? Is it worth it?
I found that vertically roasting poultry had them come out much juicier than when roasted conventionally. The liquid in the can doesn't seem to add much to the flavor of the bird, but the chimney effect from roasting in that position makes it cook a lot faster, which is probably why it's juicier.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

A dear coworker of mine finally hung it up after 33 years. I'm going to miss her terribly. She didn't want a party, but I couldn't let her last day be the same ol', same ol', so I made these:
treat tray r.jpg
treat tray 2 r.jpg
Espresso/chocolate cups
Salted caramel/peanut/chocolate cups
Lemon mousse with blueberries or blackberries
Key lime mousse with raspberries
Strawberry shortcakes w/homemade strawberry jam, cheesecake filling, topped with a whole sliced strawberry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

Yum!!! They look gorgeous.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Wow!

Leftovers on the table in back as usual, right?
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

kate520

Post by kate520 »

Mm those look berry good!

Save one for me, W4.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Return to “The Lounge”