Recipes!

Notorial Dissent

Re: Recipes!

Post by Notorial Dissent »

Volkonski wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:01 pm
AndyinPA wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:11 pm
One thing I know from my family. You either love them or hate them. ;)

Cranberries seem to be the same.
As a proud Swamp Yankee from Plymouth County Massachusetts I say cranberries are the finest berries to be found on this planet.

Naturally low in sugar, cranberries are packed with antioxidant polyphenols, essential vitamins, minerals and dietary fiber. Eat some today! :thumbs:
Depends on how they're prepared. I know some people who can burn water and make a packaged store bought chocolate bar taste bad. Needless to say, I don't dine with them, EVER.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:08 pm
Volkonski wrote:
AndyinPA wrote:

As a proud Swamp Yankee from Plymouth County Massachusetts I say cranberries are the finest berries to be found on this planet.

Naturally low in sugar, cranberries are packed with antioxidant polyphenols, essential vitamins, minerals and dietary fiber. Eat some today! :thumbs:
Depends on how they're prepared. I know some people who can burn water and make a packaged store bought chocolate bar taste bad. Needless to say, I don't dine with them, EVER.
Why waste time preparing them? Just rinse them off and dig in. :)
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Volkonski wrote:
AndyinPA wrote:

And blueberries. Both from the same part of the world and great for you! I love them both!
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy »

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Volkonski wrote:
:lol:

So not like this....
Birfers are toast

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

MsDaisy wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 4:49 pm
Notorial Dissent wrote:
Volkonski wrote:

So not like this....
You have to slide it a half inch out of the can, slice that off, then another slide and slice....al the way down. Only cretins just plop the whole thing on a plate!

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

How does one slice a product claiming to be a *sauce* :confused:

tek

Post by tek »

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 5:03 pm
You have to slide it a half inch out of the can, slice that off, then another slide and slice....al the way down. Only cretins just plop the whole thing on a plate!
Slide it out intact, then slice it vertically into 'pie slices'.. traditionally eight slices. Let them fall into a starburst.

At least that's how MY mom used to do it ;)
There's no way back
from there to here

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

RTH10260 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 5:19 pm
You should see my mother's "gravy."

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

tek wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 5:50 pm
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Slide it out intact, then slice it vertically into 'pie slices'.. traditionally eight slices. Let them fall into a starburst.

At least that's how MY mom used to do it ;)
Mine dumped it in a bowl and smashed it up with a fork if she actually remembered to get it.

Notorial Dissent

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
MsDaisy wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 4:49 pm
Notorial Dissent wrote:

So not like this....
What is so hard about taking one end off, turning it over a plate and using your can opener to break the seal on the bottom, now top of can, comes out nice and easy. Once the vacuum in the can is broken easy peasy. Lay it out horizontally and then slice it.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

Cranberry-glazed onions are very good - so good, I'll eat those in favor of the pork chops I make to accompany them.

Basically: season 2-4 pork chops to your liking. Heat a cast iron skillet till very hot, add your choice of fat/oil, brown chops. Remove from pan. Add a mess of sliced onions, cook and stir till onions are slightly translucent. Add 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar plus enough of your favorite cranberry sauce to generously coat the onion. Place chops on top of onions, put pan into 375 F. oven, bake until pork chops are done.
I've heard this bull before.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

I always have a weird assortment of jams and jellies and am never without sour cherry and cranberry in some form. I use it for cooking Brussels sprouts with bacon and some other stuff.
Thought I had died and gone to heaven a few months ago when I found lingonberry jelly at the Tuesday Morning. $6 a jar and I didn't even care. I've been trying to find it locally for at least 15 years. It's too precious to cook with though.

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy »

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:08 pm
RTH10260 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 5:19 pm
You should see my mother's "gravy."

As my (departed) mother use to say, " you have to give all dogs their due", and while she did have very significant issues the woman made the best gravy (and coleslaw) I've ever had to this day. Unfortunately she wasn't the type to share very much and I was always quite happy to be wherever she wasn't.
Birfers are toast

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:21 pm
I always have a weird assortment of jams and jellies and am never without sour cherry and cranberry in some form. I use it for cooking Brussels sprouts with bacon and some other stuff.
Thought I had died and gone to heaven a few months ago when I found lingonberry jelly at the Tuesday Morning. $6 a jar and I didn't even care. I've been trying to find it locally for at least 15 years. It's too precious to cook with though.
I just looked online at my regular grocery store - they regularly carry three different brands of lingonberry preserves. Ja, we're a little Scandinavian here in the Twin Cities.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Loganberry is great. Cloudberry (also Scandinavian) is heaven.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

Thx all. Tomorrow we take the plunge.
ImageImageImage x4

poplove

Post by poplove »

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:21 pm
My husband is part Swedish and he grew up eating ligonberries at Thanksgiving and he still does. He puts it on turkey and turkey sandwiches. I've been able to find it at our local grocery store here in Las Vegas and I always find it at Cost Plus.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

At my house, we decan-ted the cranberry sauce onto a plate, then sliced colander vertically to make 2 Quonset huts. On holidays, one went into the special cut glass dish to be served with the silver jelly server. The other went back in the can for leftovers. If you were talented, you could cut the jelly in half in the can and slide only one Quonset hut out.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

So I took everyone's comments under advisement and found a recipe for a Jamaican stew using sweet potatoes. It's in the crockpot now and it smells so good I don't know how I'm going to get through the afternoon.
ImageImageImage x4

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

OMG, Sweet potatoes are awesome! I cut them up and put them in a Jamaican stew which was incredible. Tonight I popped one in the microwave, added a little butter and some seasoning and I am in heaven. How did I make it 60 some years without realizing there’s good food under that marshmallow circus tent?
ImageImageImage x4

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbs:

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

AndyinPA wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:05 pm
I like yam or sweet potato mashed potatoes. There are lots of things you can add, according to your taste or whim. Since I'm usually making it for a vegan, I substitute sour cream with vegan cream cheese. I've seen eggs added, but I don't add that either. Maple syrup is nice to add a little sweetness if you like.
Trying to catch up on things. Here is one of my favorite recipes. It's a wonderful curry, different from the typical Indian curries. I love this.

Marrakesh Vegetable Curry:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/13988 ... ble-curry/

Edit - I responded to the wrong post. This is a response to Slim asking for what to do with sweet potatoes/yams. Cheers!
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

Most off-putting headline I've read recently. "Meat printing"? :-o

Redefine Meat unveils Alt-Steak using 3D meat printing

https://www.meatpoultry.com/articles/23 ... t-printing?
Redefine Meat will now begin to market test its plant-based product, Alt-Steak, at premium restaurants later this year. The company created Alt-Steak with patent-pending 3D meat printing technology.

Redefine collaborated with taste expert Givaudan, butchers, chefs and food technologists to digitally map over 70 sensorial parameters into Alt-Steak products including the texture, juiciness, fat distribution and mouthfeel of premium beef cuts. The proprietary 3D food printers create the products layer by layer using the company’s Alt-Muscle, Alt-Fat and Alt-Blood plant-based formulations. The process of printing with multiple materials gives Redefine Meat the ability to create sustainable, high-protein, no-cholesterol steaks.

“The importance of using precision 3D printing technology to achieve texture, color and flavor – and the combinations between them – cannot be overstated,” Ben-Shitrit added. “By using separate formulations for muscle, fat and blood, we can focus on each individual aspect of creating the perfect Alt-Steak product.

A small number of leading chefs and restaurants will test Redefine Meat’s Alt-Steak products later this year. The company will then incorporate the feedback received from the testing and ramp up 3D printing ahead of distribution in 2021.
I've heard this bull before.

Notorial Dissent

An interesting concept will be interesting to see the end result. Agree about the headline.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

:confused: If you really want to omit meat from your diet, why chose fake "meat"? Why not just go with the fresh produce or with dishes where vegetables are still recognizable?

Return to “The Lounge”