"We haven't disappeared; We're just traveling."

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Re: "We haven't disappeared; We're just traveling."

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:38 am

My best to you and your mom. My mom had two or three falls caused by fainting. By the 3rd fall the doctors checked her heart. (Fainting runs in my family -sensitive vasovagal nerve). She had aortal stenosis.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: African-American Naomi Anderson was a leader in the suffrage movement in the west, a published poet, barber, community activist, and teacher.

DryInk

Post by DryInk » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:13 pm

In Costa Rica for the week for work. I got here Friday night, so my coworkers had some tourist activities planned for me: a (dormant) volcano, a shortened tour of downtown San Jose (rain), Carara National Park, and a trip to a beach on the Pacific Ocean. I thought their attempts to kill me with activities was done, but zip lining is on the agenda for tomorrow afternoon.

I've been making friends by posting the weekly weather forecast for San Jose for my Texas friends and coworkers. Texas is in the 100's, San Jose might hit 81 on Friday. :-D
Let's just assume I said something witty.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:22 pm

DryInk wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:13 pm
In Costa Rica for the week for work. I got here Friday night, so my coworkers had some tourist activities planned for me: a (dormant) volcano, a shortened tour of downtown San Jose (rain), Carara National Park, and a trip to a beach on the Pacific Ocean. I thought their attempts to kill me with activities was done, but zip lining is on the agenda for tomorrow afternoon.

I've been making friends by posting the weekly weather forecast for San Jose for my Texas friends and coworkers. Texas is in the 100's, San Jose might hit 81 on Friday. :-D
It might not be safe for you to return. :smoking:
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: African-American Naomi Anderson was a leader in the suffrage movement in the west, a published poet, barber, community activist, and teacher.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:55 pm

I lived in Manuel Antonio for three years, a but further down the Pacific coast. I never cared much for San Jose though I enjoyed the cooler weather. As for zip-lining, do not forget to pull your legs up as you zip towards the platforms! Have fun.

¡Pura Vida!

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:48 pm

Staying at a remote-ish camp in Maine for a few days. Limited cell reception, no wifi. Phone battery running out. Will try to return to civilization in a few days. Trying not to talk politics with other cabins. Pray for me...
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Princess foofypants

Post by Princess foofypants » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:24 pm

Realist and I just got back from a small respite in beautiful St. Michaels, MD. Just what we needed. Pretty, quirky old b&b, history, water, nice restaurants and quiet. I wouldn’t mind living there if I had several million extra dollars to purchase a lovely old waterfront estate.

And the crab!!! In 3 days I had crab salad, crab cakes and crab imperial.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:09 pm

Going up to Massachusetts for a few days to see my cousin's new home and attend my 50th high school reunion.

This summer my cousin sold the old family homestead in Scituate and bought a townhouse condo on Cape Cod. Now she no longer needs to worry about yard work and snow removal.

The stats on my reunion- There were 250 in my class. Of those 38 are deceased and 20 could not be located. Of the remaining 192 classmates 80 are coming to the reunion. The most common reason given for not attending is distance.

I am Facebook friends with some of them but I haven't seen most of them since graduation.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:39 pm

We just returned from Tejas and taking care of grandgurlz, granddog and grandcat. Papa taught the girls the healthful benefits of belching (operatically). Oldest giggled Youngest spent the rest of the time practicing her burps. His blood is not in my veins!

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:26 pm

On the ferry for Connecticut. Cape Cod here we come!

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:31 pm

Our cat's first ferry ride. :)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:05 pm

The ferry is almost empty on a Wednesday in mid September.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:24 pm

We are heading to New Mexico Friday for our friend’s funeral. Since he was an Army colonel, he’s being buried at the National Cemetery of Santa Fe. He can’t be interred until Wednesday, September 18. I was getting ready to start calling airlines, but decided to call Amtrak on the off chance I could get a roomette on such short notice. We have to a leave day earlier than I might have preferred, but they had rooms. I would rather spend two days relaxing on a train than a full day getting there on flights to Albuquerque, then drive to Santa Fe. We’ll be gone more than a week. Did I mention I hate to fly?

Slightly off topic:

My son-law’s grandmother died this morning, so a little more chaos. And if it comes in threes, I’m really nervous. A story about Karl’s grandma. She had hoped to live to see twitler out of office, always had her Rachel Maddox throw with her. She lived until recently in North Hampton and was a real fan. She was a devout Catholic, except on abortion. She had a friend who died from an illegal abortion back in the day.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:56 pm

Rockland High Class of 1969 holds joyful 50th reunion

https://www.patriotledger.com/blogs/201 ... th-reunion
Class member and reunion committee member Madeline Lannin-Cotton of Pembroke, an English/Journalism teacher and former girls basketball coach at the high school, gave this report afterward:

“No one remembered that 26.3 inches of snow fell in February of their senior year and only a few remembered that the theme of their junior prom was ‘Some Enchanted Evening.’

“But most who attended the 50th Reunion remembered that Ronnie Bayless was their senior class president, George Yenetchi was the valedictorian, and Amy Culver was Miss Rockland.

“Several also remembered the walk-out staged to protest the dress code (skirts for girls and collared shirts and dress pants for boys), and quite a few remembered that Carla Flipp and Dana Lupica were voted class clowns while Peter Woodward and Susan Fucillo were voted Most Likely to Succeed.
Interesting event. A (then) girl that I had played with a lot during elementary school reminded me that my grandmother had taught her how to tie her shoes after her own mother couldn't quite get her to understand how to do it. A guy with whom I worked at the grocery store (but had never been close to) insisted on buying me a drink. I learned that one of my classmates has published 3 books (I have ordered a copy of one of them and will report in the reading thread).

I was surprised how many of my classmates became teachers. :o I was also surprised how many stayed in Rockland.

Since my last post about the reunion one more classmate has died. :(

They are talking about having a 55th reunion. I think I will go. :)

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:59 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:56 pm
Rockland High Class of 1969 holds joyful 50th reunion

https://www.patriotledger.com/blogs/201 ... th-reunion
Class member and reunion committee member Madeline Lannin-Cotton of Pembroke, an English/Journalism teacher and former girls basketball coach at the high school, gave this report afterward:

“No one remembered that 26.3 inches of snow fell in February of their senior year and only a few remembered that the theme of their junior prom was ‘Some Enchanted Evening.’

“But most who attended the 50th Reunion remembered that Ronnie Bayless was their senior class president, George Yenetchi was the valedictorian, and Amy Culver was Miss Rockland.

Several also remembered the walk-out staged to protest the dress code (skirts for girls and collared shirts and dress pants for boys), and quite a few remembered that Carla Flipp and Dana Lupica were voted class clowns while Peter Woodward and Susan Fucillo were voted Most Likely to Succeed.
Interesting event. A (then) girl that I had played with a lot during elementary school reminded me that my grandmother had taught her how to tie her shoes after her own mother couldn't quite get her to understand how to do it. A guy with whom I worked at the grocery store (but had never been close to) insisted on buying me a drink. I learned that one of my classmates has published 3 books (I have ordered a copy of one of them and will report in the reading thread).

I was surprised how many of my classmates became teachers. :o I was also surprised how many stayed in Rockland.

Since my last post about the reunion one more classmate has died. :(

They are talking about having a 55th reunion. I think I will go. :)
Some things never change... from today’s Washington Post:
The long and short of a Maryland school’s dress code sparks protest

The dress code memo to students and parents at a suburban Maryland high school didn’t leave much to the imagination.

“Skirts and dresses must not show private areas when sitting, walking, climbing stairs or doing normal school activities,” the new principal at Albert Einstein High School, Christine C. Handy, wrote in an email last week. “Shorts must not expose private areas when sitting, walking, climbing stairs, or doing normal school activities.”

The issue has percolated on group texts and social media platforms in the past week, and students launched at least two petitions calling for Handy to reconsider the policy. Last week, some of those students protested at the school by dressing in just the manner the new policy proscribes.

“They broke the dress code, but it was within reason. They were not being super inappropriate,” said a junior girl who spoke on the condition of anonymity to speak openly about the issue outside the Kensington school.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:30 pm

In the car on the way to Dullas heading across the pond to London for my SIL’s birfday. Then off to Ireland for a 10 day castle a day jaunt with a rental car and the newly downloaded UK/Ireland maps on my Garmin. Yeehaw :happydance:
Birfers are toast

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:35 pm

Have FUN!!!

Return to “The Lounge”