Hijack this thread

Grumpy Old Guy

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by Grumpy Old Guy »

I bought the “Marine Traffic “ App for my phone and for my iPad last summer because we stayed in a campground near the St Laurence Seaway where the deep sea and lake ships are very close. It’s fun to see where they last stopped and where they are going.
We may not be able to do that this summer. :crying:

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

What do you miss from your childhood?

It's a beautiful spring day - high in the mid-70s - and I just thought back to the joy of Fizzies. A perfect summer childhood treat.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Bill_G wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:15 am
Wet and dreary on the coast yesterday. I did three sites in one day - Kalama, Naselle, and Nicolai. Most of the time the view from the hilltop was whiteout because of the clouds. But, I did get one image of the mouth of the Columbia while descending Naselle. You can see all the ships lined up ready for the pilots to bring them into Portland.
That’s lovely, BillG. My husband and I are both retired from the Coast Guard. At one time my husband worked for the Coast Guard Civil Engineering Unit in Oakland, CA. His job was to travel up and down the west coast, assessing lighthouses in preparation for turning them over to states and non-profits (the Coast Guard retained ownership of the aid to navigation, but wanted to get out of the historic preservation business). anyhoo, your pictures remind me of the ones he’d bring home. Lighthouses always had the best views.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Volkonski wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:22 pm

For a time I had an office with a window that faced the Houston Ship Channel. The ships came and went all day. :daydream:
I can imagine. Ships have a +80 mile trip upriver to the terminals in Longview, Kalama, Vancouver, and Portland. Past Portland is nothing but barge traffic because the dam locks can't handle larger vessels.

The river has to be dredged constantly to allow deep draft ocean vessels to pass. Passage has to be timed with the tides. At low tide, the river is draining towards the ocean, and at high tide the ocean is bucking the river flow. This push and pull, rise and fall is reflected upriver.

Bar pilots meet the ships at sea and bring them into Astoria. Then a river pilot boards to bring it to a port. There's a constant shuttling of bar and river pilots on small craft and tugs.

And I have my fingers in the pie because I maintain the comms from Astoria to the Snake River in Idaho.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 3:35 pm

It's a beautiful spring day - high in the mid-70s - and I just thought back to the joy of Fizzies. A perfect summer childhood treat.
My tricycle! Zoom zoom!

And Lincoln Logs.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Maybenaut wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 3:44 pm

That’s lovely, BillG. My husband and I are both retired from the Coast Guard. At one time my husband worked for the Coast Guard Civil Engineering Unit in Oakland, CA. His job was to travel up and down the west coast, assessing lighthouses in preparation for turning them over to states and non-profits (the Coast Guard retained ownership of the aid to navigation, but wanted to get out of the historic preservation business). anyhoo, your pictures remind me of the ones he’d bring home. Lighthouses always had the best views.
I've had this contract for over a decade, and love the views when I get them. On a clear day, you can see Mount St Helens. The second photo is from Nicolai looking towards the hilltop I took the first photo. The cloud cover between is the river socked in by fog.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Inland about 350 miles, the Columbia meets up with the Snake River. The Snake continues for several hundred miles towards Wyoming and Utah. This picture is the Snake as it passes Twin Falls Idaho (where most of your Chobani yogurt comes from). At this point, the river is a narrow ditch. It's still navigable by barges and tugs, but it has seasonal limits. By the end of summer, you can almost walk across it depending on the snow pack in Wyoming.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

realist

Post by realist »

:thumbs:
ImageX 4 ImageX36

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Someplace around here I have a picture of the original Bridge of the Gods.

Before ACE (Army Corp of Engineers) started building dams for the hydroelectric projects, the Columbia River was not navigable east of what is now Cascade Locks. Eons ago, after the Missoula Flood scoured out the gorge that forms the river, a mountain fell down forming a natural dam. The debris field is enormous, and still easily seen on land. Where it crossed the river, it created a rocky falls that natives fished for salmon returning to spawn each year. In low water years, the flow reduced enough for them to walk across the river on the boulders. After the Bonneville Dam was built, the Bridge of Gods was submerged. However, there have been some low water years where the BPA (Bonneville Power Authority) has to drop the river level to generate power, and the bridge is revealed for short periods.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

MN-Skeptic wrote:

OMG Yes!!!

But the reality was kind of a letdown after the ads and resultant anticipation. Kinda weak flavored, barely-fizzy water.

One of my playmates was Liz F. During the Fizzy craze, we nicknamed her Fizzy Fuzzbug. She hated that.

Slinkys were a similar letdown. On the tv ads, they did all kinds of cool things. In reality - nothing, really.

(I was a dedicated thumbsucker well into kindergarten, leading to my parents bribing me with the offer of whatever toy I wanted in exchange for stopping the habit. I agreed. My choice - a Slinky. I got the raw end of that deal.)
I've heard this bull before.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

MN-Skeptic wrote:

I miss someone else deciding what was going to be for dinner every night. :daydream:
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

I should go to bed, but Knopfler is playing his Resonator on Youtube right now.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

ZekeB wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 11:24 pm
I should go to bed, but Knopfler is playing his Resonator on Youtube right now.
I'm going with Colbert's monologue in a few minutes, then bedtime for bonzo.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Whatever4 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:31 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote:

I miss someone else deciding what was going to be for dinner every night. :daydream:
That’s one thing that I, as a picky eater, do not miss.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

MN-Skeptic wrote:

I remember picking black raspberries from high bushes. Those bushes are long gone though, and it’s very hard finding the berries anywhere. Lots of blackberries around, but they’re not as special.
M A C A Making America Care Again :daydream:

kate520

Post by kate520 »

Has anyone heard from Dolly? She has not visited since mid-March. I am concerned.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo »

kate520 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:34 pm
Has anyone heard from Dolly? She has not visited since mid-March. I am concerned.
Active on facebook 4 hrs ago.
Image Image Image Image Image

kate520

Post by kate520 »

:thumbs:
Thanks, hon. I’ve not been there in eons.

ETA: Did we say something wrong? Not like her, is it?
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Addie

Post by Addie »

You read my mind.
kate520 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:34 pm
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

I dreamed I was singing the words of Back In The USSR to the tune of Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da.

I didn't even know that could match up. My brain is WAY TOO WEIRD for me! :dazed:
For more information, read it again. || When science is outlawed, only outlaws will have science.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Foggy wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:06 am
I dreamed I was singing the words of Back In The USSR to the tune of Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da.

I didn't even know that could match up. My brain is WAY TOO WEIRD for me! :dazed:
Well, that's what's cool about dreams (if you can remember them). They don't make real world sense. The impossible becomes possible. Enjoy. ;)

Of course now, at the next Zoom meetup, we want to hear you sing. :blink:

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

neonzx wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:34 am
Foggy wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:06 am

Well, that's what's cool about dreams (if you can remember them). They don't make real world sense. The impossible becomes possible. Enjoy. ;)

Of course now, at the next Zoom meetup, we want to hear you sing. :blink:
No. No we don’t.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Somewheeeeeeeeere over the Fogbow!
For more information, read it again. || When science is outlawed, only outlaws will have science.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Click your heels together three times, and say "There's no place like Bow, there's no place like Bow".

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy »

Just cuz...
Birfers are toast

Return to “The Lounge”