For those of you in Oregon

Sugar Magnolia

For those of you in Oregon

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

My friend is in desperate need of a family law attorney in Medford. Her ex-wife has filed something in the Oregon court over custody even though judges in MS and in OR have told her to quit filing stuff. She filed something on the internet in OR and my friend is wigging out that she has to be in court for something that is probably going to be dismissed. She needs a local Medford lawyer to explain to her what's going on and possibly show up in court for her so she doesn't have to fly to OR unnecessarily.

Any help, even just a name, would be most appreciated. She's trying to get Lambda legal to intervene but I don't know if she's talking to them here or there. She's supposed to be in court Monday, so......

scirreeve

Re: For those of you in Oregon

Post by scirreeve »

Well I am in Oregon but can't help at all. Never needed an attorney (except for the writing a will thingy). Good luck. I know that Ward, Grasty etc. are using a Medford attorney in their defense against the widder Skinner's stupid lawsuit but that isn't probably the kind of attorney you are looking for.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

Filed something on the internet? Maybe you can, but I never heard of that when I lived in Oregon.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Check out https://www.martindale.com/find-attorneys.

Also, too she can contact her local child support office to see if its lawyers defend such actions (likely not, but worth a try). Her local child support agency or her previous attorney or legal service attorney could help her. Many of these cases, once the appropriate pleadings are filed, require a telephone conference between the judges of the two jurisdictions. No judge will add a case to the already large docket if it an be excluded under URESA (Uniform Reciprocal Enforcement of Support Act) or the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA) or the Parental Kidnapping Prevention Act (PKPA). These laws were passed to prevent what might happen ultimately but, unlikely, to your friend.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Edit: Her previous attorney can explain what is going on and dampen her fears. She can also get a free 30 minute consult in MS. That lawyer can locate an Oregon lawyer. She may qualify for pro bono legal services through the local county Mississippi Bar Association or the state Bar.

The Mississippi Access to Justice Commission may help at https://www.govserv.org/US/Jackson/7637 ... Commission.

Good luck to your friend.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

chancery

Post by chancery »

A cousin in Texas was happy with the lawyer referral she received from a local battered women's service. I would suggest inquiring about rosters of recommended lawyers at local agencies for abused spouses.

Return to “The Lounge”