Gardening 2019

Bill_G

Re: Gardening 2019

Post by Bill_G » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:03 am

Smart decision to move the door to the end of the kitchen. And the heron is great! Love the checker board tile. It really pops. The cabinets and kitchen work are well done too. Good job!

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:19 am

Love the heron, the bright colors and the light coming in from the door!!! Looks fabulous and cheerful!
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: African-American Naomi Anderson was a leader in the suffrage movement in the west, a published poet, barber, community activist, and teacher.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:51 am

p0rtia wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:25 am
Volkonski wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:06 pm
Is that a blue heron on the wall?
Yes. My sister painted the heron on the bathroom door (which is a home-made slider).
The blue heron is one of the symbols of our city. :)

The other is the old oak tree.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:58 am

Sweet. <3
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Tue May 28, 2019 3:32 pm

It's been a very cold and wet spring so far, but we had two days of fine weather this past weekend. I was finally able to get started planting.
lady planter 2019.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I've heard this bull before.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed May 29, 2019 6:28 am

What does that lady think is wrong with mah shoez? :confused:
Any time my questions are all fully answered, I know I'm asking the wrong questions. - Bernard Samson

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Wed May 29, 2019 7:08 am

Saying good-bye to my sweet island paradise today. Gawd I so love my garden.

ImageImageImage

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed May 29, 2019 9:32 am

DejaMoo wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 3:32 pm
It's been a very cold and wet spring so far, but we had two days of fine weather this past weekend. I was finally able to get started planting.

lady planter 2019.jpg
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THIS!!!! :thumbs: :dance:
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: African-American Naomi Anderson was a leader in the suffrage movement in the west, a published poet, barber, community activist, and teacher.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Wed May 29, 2019 10:10 am

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 9:32 am
DejaMoo wrote:

lady planter 2019.jpg
Thank you. Last year, a curious little shop opened in Eau Claire, Wisconsin (of all places). Operated by a brother and sister who also have a horse farm, so they named their shop 22 Chevaux. They import indoor and outdoor decor from Indonesia. They even do custom-built tiki huts to order. Anyhow, I found this pot there in March, and fell so hard for it. I've since been waiting and planning what I'd put in her - and finally, finally got to do so.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed May 29, 2019 10:14 am

Cool stuff! Love those tables.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed May 29, 2019 12:13 pm

DejaMoo wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 10:10 am
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 9:32 am
DejaMoo wrote:

lady planter 2019.jpg
Thank you. Last year, a curious little shop opened in Eau Claire, Wisconsin (of all places). Operated by a brother and sister who also have a horse farm, so they named their shop 22 Chevaux. They import indoor and outdoor decor from Indonesia. They even do custom-built tiki huts to order. Anyhow, I found this pot there in March, and fell so hard for it. I've since been waiting and planning what I'd put in her - and finally, finally got to do so.
She looks like Angela Bassett from Black Panther and many other movies.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed May 29, 2019 6:58 pm

p0rtia wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 7:08 am
Saying good-bye to my sweet island paradise today. Gawd I so love my garden.

:lovestruck:
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:34 pm

A few years ago we planted rhododendrons but they have never produced many flowers. This year one at last has done so. :)

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:05 pm

Love them! Since we live in the woods, we have a lot of them, most of them over 40 years old. Sadly, we planted about four dozen and probably only have about a dozen of them left. We were told the deer didn't like them much, but they will eat anything when they get hungry enough. In a hard winter about six or seven years ago, eight or nine of them disappeared overnight.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:29 am

The strawberries have arrived! I'm pumped. It's June, and the strawberries will be ripening for most of the month. By July, they will be done. So, you can't dilly dally. Check them everyday, or the critters will get them. In this phase, water only. It's too late to fertilize to make them bigger. Try to water in the morning to give the foliage and fruit time to dry off to prevent molds and mildews. Yum!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:36 am

AndyinPA wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:05 pm
Love them! Since we live in the woods, we have a lot of them, most of them over 40 years old. Sadly, we planted about four dozen and probably only have about a dozen of them left. We were told the deer didn't like them much, but they will eat anything when they get hungry enough. In a hard winter about six or seven years ago, eight of nine of them disappeared overnight.
Yes, we lost a couple of them in the far back beds to deer this past winter. :(

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:14 am

Bill_G wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:29 am
The strawberries have arrived! I'm pumped. It's June, and the strawberries will be ripening for most of the month. By July, they will be done. So, you can't dilly dally. Check them everyday, or the critters will get them. In this phase, water only. It's too late to fertilize to make them bigger. Try to water in the morning to give the foliage and fruit time to dry off to prevent molds and mildews. Yum!
The only time I will eat strawberries is when they first ripen, grown locally. They lose their flavor so quickly.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:27 am

AndyinPA wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:14 am

The only time I will eat strawberries is when they first ripen, grown locally. They lose their flavor so quickly.
There is a distinct flavor difference when they are minutes old. I love this time of year being able to pick dinner after I get home.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:42 pm

I'm way behind in my gardening chores this season, partly due to the late (cold, wet) spring, partly because I have so little free time to spare. BUT - I managed to get this raised bed/garden wall built. About 40 inches wide by 25 feet long. It will provide privacy and fragrance for the future firepit patio (next year's project) and lots of flowers for the hummingbirds, bees and butterflies. The taller section will be planted with lilies and tall phlox, the lower level is mainly "Jacob Cline" bee balm, plus brown-eyed susans and a few delphiniums and heleniums.

I had five yards of topsoil delivered Friday and filled that bed all by myself that day. Had a small amount left over that I spread elsewhere. Did you know that a cubic yard of dryish topsoil weighs approximately one ton? I swear the waistband of my jeans is a little bit looser after shoveling and moving all that dirt.

Anyhow, this will be the border between the back lawn and the firepit patio. This small patio will be edged on the west side by a hedge, on the north side by my large patio with the gazebo on it, and by my crescent-shaped pond garden on the east.
new raised bed.jpg

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:07 pm

That's awesome, DejaMoo. Wow!
Any time my questions are all fully answered, I know I'm asking the wrong questions. - Bernard Samson

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:53 pm

Beauty! :thumbs:
ImageImageImage

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:56 pm

Looks great, keep us posted as it grows :popcorn:
Birfers are toast

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:15 am

Definitely something to be proud of! Love it!

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:33 am

The strawberries have come and gone. There are still a few berries coming on, but the bed is done for the year. Drats. Just in time for the cucumbers though. The first cuke will get picked today. It also means it's time to plant some fresh cuke seed so we have something to go with the tomatoes. Mrs insists we plant cukes at the same time as tomatoes. By the time the tomatoes are ready, the cukes are done. With some rare exceptions, the vines don't last all season. It's a matter of planting some new vines every few weeks to have at least one bearing fruit when the tomatoes are ready.

I need to replant beans again for the third time. I've had very bad luck with Ed Hume seed this year. Less than 20% viability. It is not unusual to have a few seeds not start. That's why you overplant, and thin out the row later. Not the case this year. I have five orphan bean plants spread out randomly. I'll transplant them into a cluster I started a month ago and reseed the bed. At least I'll have three phases of beans in distinct areas.

The garlic is just about ready. At least around here, if you plant around Halloween, it's ready about Fourth of July. Pretty easy to remember. I need to see some flower heads start to form first. Once the plant moves to the reproductive stage, it is no longer growing the bulb, and it's time to harvest. For now, it is just keeping the bed watered and weeded.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:00 am

Time for some garden pron - Plants doing the reproduction thang.
First up, the pimps of the garden - bees. I managed to capture a teeny tiny Mason Bee in a Calendula bloom. These guys are not a lot bigger than a rissoto or big long grain rice kernal. They are harmless to people, never sting, and are great pollenators. There's a beam in a back porch they love to live in, and I happily let them.

Next, the ever opulent cucumber. These are Straight Eights. If you trellis them, you get longer than eight inches without packing on a larger seed core. Picked young, the seeds are tender. Very fragrant, almost melon like when first pulled. That wanes quickly. They are always the first producers in the garden. Great on burgers mixed with onion, garlic, mayo, and herbs. Tastes entirely different than store bought. After you eat one of these, you'll know why people like cucumbers.

Finally, the humble potatoe. Who knew spud could get his fancy duds on, or that he even had nice clothes? Yukon Golds like the bridal colors - white on white. Russets get all Summery with yellow on white. Red Spud wants to show off with gold on lavender. He's the peacock of the bunch. Once the taters get their bloom on, they get busy making baby taters in the dirt. It's time to hill them up, side dress with some fertilizer or compost, and soak them well.

Return to “The Lounge”