Gardening 2019

DejaMoo

Gardening 2019

Post by DejaMoo » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:35 pm

It's the first day of 2019 and it's not too soon for us to start planning (or in some areas, maybe even planting) our gardens for 2019.

For me, the best thing about gardening is the opportunity for fresh starts. I've been giving lots of thought to what I'll do with my former Big (perennial) Garden. I've had it under tarps for the past three years while working on other projects. All this time I've been trying to think of what to do with the space. I know I want perennials again (my problem was, the garden was so large and the perennials and weeds were so prolific, I eventually couldn't keep up with them). So I tarped it to kill everything off and give me a chance to ponder.

When I was younger, I desperately wanted to put a patio/firepit with a pergola in the center of the Big Garden, for some lovely entertaining space. Later, I wanted to put a large metal moon sculpture in the center. Finances prohibited both plans from happening. Now that I'm older, I'm thinking of returning to my original plan: a patio with a largish firepit, but this time surrounded by raised beds, with the paved area walled off from the lawn with additional narrow raised beds planted with phlox and Jacob Cline beebalm. That will create a seasonal privacy hedge that's colorful, intensely fragrant, and hugely popular with butterflies and hummingbirds.

I've always preferred a good old-fashioned hodgepodge perennial garden - nothing formal or stylized, just clumps of interesting plants flowering at different times of the year. But with raised beds, I think I'm gonna have to instill some order, which means I will have to force myself to limit the number of perennials I go with. That will be difficult. :lol:

I also prefer a propane firepit to wood. We've always had wood fires, but the hassles with smoke blowing as the wind shifts, not to mention moving and storing the wood, and cleaning out the pit, has me thinking more and more of propane. I'd prefer a DIY setup, so I'll be researching it over the next few months. I already know a quality build will be spendy, so I might just build the stone surround this year and go with wood for one final year, shifting the propane burner assembly expense to next year's garden budget.

As a Northern gardener, this is what the winter months are for: making plans for the coming season's gardens. As a pastime, it beats shoveling snow. :lol:
I've heard this bull before.

MsDaisy

Re: Gardening 2019

Post by MsDaisy » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:41 pm

First gardening injury of the season on the first day of gardening… We have lots of different gardens around the property and we call these gardens the atrium gardens because that door goes into the atrium. These are generally the first to come up in the spring, they're full of hostas and other perennials and once that stuff starts growing it’s a real pain in the ass to clean out and mulch around everything so these gardens are always the first to get cleaned up in spring. This is the backside of the house but the car park is on that side so this is where most people come and go.
Atrium Gardens.jpg
The fencing around these beds is not for decoration; it’s to keep the damn dogs from digging or sleeping there. So cleaning them out means stepping in and out over that fence with buckets and tools. I was working in the one on the right when on my way out with a full bucket of leaves and winter debris my pants leg got caught on the fence at the back of my left knee and I lost my balance and landed on my ass in the walkway with my left leg hung on the damn fence. Man did that hurt!

This is the current tender state of the inside of my left calf…
Leg.jpg
Can't see from the photo but the bruising actually goes all the way around to my shin bone!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Birfers are toast

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:03 pm

Ouch! Good thing you did not get stabbed by the fence. Are you up-to-date with tetanus vaccinations, by the way?

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:01 am

Azastan wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:03 pm
Ouch! Good thing you did not get stabbed by the fence. Are you up-to-date with tetanus vaccinations, by the way?
Yep, I’m good for another 3 years on tetanus. I checked on that a few months ago after I stepped in a hole I didn’t see, (damn dogs) fell over and slammed my right butt cheek on the rusty corner of the tractor blade over by the woodshed. That did break the skin and put a hole in my jeans. It’s dangerous living in the country with dogs! :lol:
Birfers are toast

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:37 am

Ouch Ms Daisy! We'll send you some real dairy farmer muck boots. That will end the pant leg problem.

I too raked out my beds and laid down mulch couple weeks ago for the same reasons - git in there now while the gitten was good. Around here, it's still winter on the calendar. We oscillate between 30 and 45F with a chance of rain becoming snow, or worse - ice. You risk killing the bed if it's left exposed to a freeze. But, we've had lots of roof rippers (winds that take roof shingles off) with debris everywhere - small tree branches, leaves previously tucked in odd places, and light urban litter. Looked rough. A rakin and a mulchin did wonders. Plus it got me outside.

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:30 pm

Bill_G wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:37 am
Ouch Ms Daisy! We'll send you some real dairy farmer muck boots. That will end the pant leg problem.

I too raked out my beds and laid down mulch couple weeks ago for the same reasons - git in there now while the gitten was good. Around here, it's still winter on the calendar. We oscillate between 30 and 45F with a chance of rain becoming snow, or worse - ice. You risk killing the bed if it's left exposed to a freeze. But, we've had lots of roof rippers (winds that take roof shingles off) with debris everywhere - small tree branches, leaves previously tucked in odd places, and light urban litter. Looked rough. A rakin and a mulchin did wonders. Plus it got me outside.
Yes, getting out on nice days early in the season is always good. I thought we would have been slammed this winter, the last two have been fairly mild, but so far we've only had one good snow. We have had so much damn rain though the whole of last year! We had a big cedar tree by the house just fall over because the ground was too soggy to hold the damn thing up.
Birfers are toast

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:38 pm

MsDaisy wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:30 pm
Yes, getting out on nice days early in the season is always good. I thought we would have been slammed this winter, the last two have been fairly mild, but so far we've only had one good snow. We have had so much damn rain though the whole of last year! We had a big cedar tree by the house just fall over because the ground was too soggy to hold the damn thing up.
We had a whole row of mature Emerald Arbor Vitae take slow elevator rides to the ground over several years after (A) the backyard neighbors decided to use a two man gas powered post drill to set new fence posts in concrete (aka root trimming), (B) the winter soil became saturated, and (C) the coup de gras - a wind storm out of the SW blew through. The karma for their effort was they lost a huge beautiful willow taking out a large bit of the aforementioned fence.

PS - I preferred the natural abrbor vitae fence over a hard fence.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:53 pm

Been working like a dog all month on an upgrade of the innards of my sweet Florida cottage, and some exterior landscaping as well.

When I bought it four years ago:

Now:

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:17 pm

That’s not the same building.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:02 am

Whatever4 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:17 pm
That’s not the same building.
Oh yest it is! :-D I added the lanai the first year, and swapped the door on the side with the window in front the second year so that the entrance is in a sane place. Added the trellis and grew plants like crazy. Just added the shell this year.

To be honest, the before pic is from a few years before I moved in--but it is the same building. Putting this before and after together made me realize that the aluminum fascia that is supposed to be on the edge of the roof is gone. Next year!
ImageImageImage

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:16 am

Well done Portia. Lovin it!

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:37 am

p0rtia! Yay...I love it.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:18 am

RVInit wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:37 am
p0rtia! Yay...I love it.
Wow! Me too also, great job p0rtia :lovestruck:
Birfers are toast

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:54 pm

That's awesome, p0rtia. :lovestruck:
Any time my questions are all fully answered, I know I'm asking the wrong questions. - Bernard Samson

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:23 pm

That’s a lot of work!
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:58 pm

Wow!

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:33 pm

So I'm pretty tickled y'all get it. I love shoestring projects like this. All done with smoke and mirrors. And, on the inside, yard sales. Here are a couple of interior shots. I'm going for funky cute (cf the yard sales).

Kitchen before (that's the realtor the day I viewed the property):

Kitchen today:

ImageImageImage

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:36 pm

KItchen reverse view.

And after (with the door moved):

ImageImageImage

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:38 pm

And the bedroom before and after. I did not choose the colors; my sister stays in the cottage each February--she pained the heron on the bathroom door visible above.

ImageImageImage

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:06 pm

Is that a blue heron on the wall?
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:39 pm

Wow, really impressive and cool! :clap:

Sequoia32

Post by Sequoia32 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:08 pm

What a difference moving that door made!

How difficult was it?
So far every case of Ebola in this country got it by helping people. So relax, Republicans, you're in the clear. - Tina Dupuy

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:11 pm

Nice little place! I love the changes, inside and out. And yes, moving that door - wow, what a difference.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:25 am

Volkonski wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:06 pm
Is that a blue heron on the wall?
Yes. My sister painted the heron on the bathroom door (which is a home-made slider).
ImageImageImage

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:31 am

Sequoia32 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:08 pm
What a difference moving that door made!

How difficult was it?
I had a guy do it, so it was easy! I just paid the bill. FYI, I did as much of the work as I could--floors, baseboard, faux marble counter tops, painting, painting, painting, and making the bathroom door. But I'm most proud of getting the ideas for the renovation (moving the door, adding the lanai, building the trellis between the trailer and cottage, which gives an amazing illusion of privacy). I also added a second outside door to the bedroom (opposite the lanai door) that leads to a simple deck (which I built) in the tiny secluded area behind the cottage. All done with coat hangers and baler twine.
ImageImageImage

Return to “The Lounge”