Google Home, Alexa and other talking boxes......

tek

Re: Google Home, Alexa and other talking boxes......

Post by tek »

Foggy wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:09 pm
If that happens, you can edit the link to drop that second part.
alls fixed!

thank yah verry much.
There's no way back
from there to here

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

Tell Alexa you want to try Prime Music Unlimited and she'll give you 30 free days. Thereafter, if you just get it for one Echo, it's just $3.99 a month. But try it free and see if your favs are there, if not don't bother. We love it, we have 4 all over, it's $8.99 a month but hearing such breathtaking clarity and bass makes it so worth it. We have the portable batteries for 2 of the Echos, sometimes we have four going in one room :P When you have 2, you can create a "stereo pair" in the Alexa app and it gives you left and right channels. Sinatra at the Sands with Count Basie is awesome in stereo.

We have Four 2nd Gen Echos (if you search for refurbished echo or look for warehouse deals, they can be under $40), one Dot 1st Gen, three 8.9" Fire tablets (one acts as a remote with Amazon Music and FireTV, another plays CNN in the shower 27/7 (or Xfinity Stream and X1 cloud DVR, I like making Hannity wait). We also have the Deebot OZMO 930 mop and vacuum, it's awesome. We are covered for a while. :lol:
What you've heard about Mighty Spork is true. Don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: Family Crisis!" Fri 9/8c. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

We just got my dad 4 3rd gen Echo Dots, for safety reasons. He can make a voice command to call me or my brother or 911. He can turn on and off the Sengled light bulbs without having to go to each one and bend over or reach up. I got things set up today, but will be going back through this thread for other ideas.

He had fun with it today. He had Alexa play some of his favorite music (Ray Price, Jim Reeves, Sons of the Pioneers.) He went through the grocery ads (a favorite pasttime) and voice added items to the grocery list for me to get.
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Orlylicious wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:18 pm
Tell Alexa you want to try Prime Music Unlimited and she'll give you 30 free days. Thereafter, if you just get it for one Echo, it's just $3.99 a month. But try it free and see if your favs are there, if not don't bother. We love it, we have 4 all over, it's $8.99 a month but hearing such breathtaking clarity and bass makes it so worth it. We have the portable batteries for 2 of the Echos, sometimes we have four going in one room :P When you have 2, you can create a "stereo pair" in the Alexa app and it gives you left and right channels. Sinatra at the Sands with Count Basie is awesome in stereo.
Yeah, I just have one Echo Dot, not sure if it's 1st or 2nd generation, but it was cheap - $24.99, free shipping. When I realized it was sticking with Genesis I plugged in a better pair of speakers. :-D My only concern is that I really don't listen to music for hours a day any more, unlike when I was younger. But we'll see ...

So far, I use it mostly for timers, for cooking, laundry, stuff like that. I like detailed weather reports, so I'll stick with my tablet and Weather Underground. I asked Alexa for the latest news about Donald Trump. It gave me a choice - CNN, NPR, or Fox. OK, I tried CNN. It gave me a news brief that didn't focus on Trump. I'm much more informed if I just read Fogbow. :lol:

I was really impressed by what Sequoia32 is doing with the Lists skill. I set up a HP printer and it works great. I'm gonna make an inventory of my library.
For more information, read it again.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh »

Foggy wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:45 am
Orlylicious wrote:
Yeah, I just have one Echo Dot, not sure if it's 1st or 2nd generation, but it was cheap - $24.99, free shipping. When I realized it was sticking with Genesis I plugged in a better pair of speakers. :-D My only concern is that I really don't listen to music for hours a day any more, unlike when I was younger. But we'll see ...

So far, I use it mostly for timers, for cooking, laundry, stuff like that. I like detailed weather reports, so I'll stick with my tablet and Weather Underground. I asked Alexa for the latest news about Donald Trump. It gave me a choice - CNN, NPR, or Fox. OK, I tried CNN. It gave me a news brief that didn't focus on Trump. I'm much more informed if I just read Fogbow. :lol:

I was really impressed by what Sequoia32 is doing with the Lists skill. I set up a HP printer and it works great. I'm gonna make an inventory of my library.
I listen to SOMA.fm & spotify via my echo dot which I have connected to a Creative stereo speaker.

My Name is...
Daffy Duck.. woo hoo!
Cancer broke me

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Well, y'all know that I suffered from depression and drug addiction for many years. And when you're depressed, music is a wonderful way to escape thinking about your miserable life. I used to never drive without my stereo blasting, and I have a ton of CDs. I always had the stereo going in my home office.

But I quit all drugs years ago. Maybe smoke a little weed once a year, if that. I quit cigarettes. I quit alcohol in 2017 and haven't struggled with it since. I don't even look at the wine and beer aisle in the soopermarket any more. I have a good life nowadays and I don't have any depression. Instead I work out 4 days a week (3x Dancing With Barbells and 1x Musical Ass-kicking) and I still walk a lot. Now that I'm a senior, I'm working hard on being healthy.

And when I changed my lifestyle and the depression faded away, I became a lot more comfortable with the thoughts that circulate and percolate in my poor little roostery headbone. I rarely play music anymore, it reminds me of the days when I needed it too much.

And I don't listen to NPR on the radio anymore. They treated Trump like he was a legitimate candidate for president in 2016, and I blame them as much as anybody - they just refused to make clear that he's a deranged sociopathic crook and always has been. The day after the election I turned them off for good.

I'm still learning insurance. I'm still learning web design. I'm still muttering and puttering in my garage workshop. I'm fixing a lot of things in the house we've been living in for the past 17 years. I have a bizzy, bizzy life, and music just isn't much of a part of it.

But hay, $3.99 for one Echo Dot is tempting. I'm gonna consider that. Life is good.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Sequoia32

Post by Sequoia32 »

Orlylicious wrote:
We have the portable batteries for 2 of the Echos
I came here to say that I have one and it is very helpful. I have a plug at my desk and one in my bedroom to keep it charged all of the time. I actually taped the battery on since I dropped it once and it quit working. Bought a new connector for I think $7.99 and all is well.

As I am hobbling back to my bedroom in the evening with my Dot in my walker basket, I can tell Alexa to turn my bedside lamp on so I am not fumbling in the dark.
SLQ wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:38 pm
We just got my dad 4 3rd gen Echo Dots, for safety reasons.
These things are great for the disabled. Being able to add to my shopping list or other lists as I think if things is really helpful too. No hobbling to wherever the paper list is. I have all of my lists with me all of the time. No hauling myself out of bed or my chair to turn on/off a light or open the door.
Foggy wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:45 am
I set up a HP printer and it works great. I'm gonna make an inventory of my library.
Have everything ready so that you can add every item when you setup your list, then you don't have to say "Alexa, add blah to the Library list" for every item. Right after setup she will ask you what else you want to add over and over again. Goes much faster. One long pause, though and it is back to adding things one at a time. If she screws something up (like puts it in the wrong list) just keep going and log in and fix it in the app later. You can also fix misspellings and add things like expiration dates.

They fixed the shopping list so you can now add multiple things anytime. Hoping they will do that for all lists. Keep telling them what you want. They keep improving it all of the time.

I am not interested in playing music, listening to jokes or playing games but I use my Dot ALL of the time.
So far every case of Ebola in this country got it by helping people. So relax, Republicans, you're in the clear. - Tina Dupuy

Sequoia32

Post by Sequoia32 »

Just got an Alexa update.

You can now say: " add Tales of Tomorrow, Moby Dick and Shopping for Two to my Library list" and she'll do it.

Much better than when I inventoried all of my cupboards and pantry.
So far every case of Ebola in this country got it by helping people. So relax, Republicans, you're in the clear. - Tina Dupuy

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

IFF you are in the UK - long waiting list
Amazon Echo just received an Alexa improvement but there's more bad news for UK customers
AMAZON Echo has just received a huge Alexa improvement but UK owners of the smart speaker will surely be disappointed.
By JOSEPH CAREY
PUBLISHED: 07:00, Fri, Jan 18, 2019

article at https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/sc ... ster-voice

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

Foggy, before I forget, the best detailed weather is "Alexa ask WeatherSky for my forecast." You might need to have your ZIP code registered and download the Skill, it's been a while since I got it. It's free and great. It's from Dark Sky (which is a great free/low cost real time forecaster iphone app) and it's a huge weather data dump spoken out. I love it. :P
What you've heard about Mighty Spork is true. Don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: Family Crisis!" Fri 9/8c. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Ok, thanks for that.

Yanno, I now have Rochester the vacuum cleaner robot and Alexa the computer companion, and ol' Wifehorn is wondering what other nefarious 21st century gadgets Orlylicious is gonna hornswoggle me into buying. :lol:

But I'm like "Hay, Rochester and Alexa are wonderful! If Orlylicious has any more like those two, you're dang right I'll buy them too! Anything she recommends!" :mrgreen:

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Harrumph.

WeatherSky, at 7:16 am, started my detailed weather forecast by announcing that it was 8:16 am.

Other than that, most excellent! :daydream:

(Fogbow on PayPal)

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Okay, so it can't make tea, earl grey, hot, for me, but I'm going to order an Echo Dot. I've learned it can control my Ring alarm system so that alone is worthy of the price.
We are told by LE: If you see something, say something. -- I agree.
If you see something, video record it, uploaded it, and say something!

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious »

Great catch Foggy, told them a year ago they failed on Daylight Savings Time, it will be accurate after we fall back. But otherwise it is great! And thank you for the props :P I was one of the first to have the Sony AIBO dog years ago, love new technology and an early adopter for decades. Will keep you posted on cool new things.

Neon, you're right. Although an Echo isn't that much more expensive and the Dolby stereo and music quality is like 50x better because it's much bigger so consider that... if you get a refurbished or scratched Echo (look for "used" on the listing) it's not much more and really a better experience. Listening to Ella sing "I Got Rhythm" on the Stereo Pair (two Echos in the bedroom) group right now and it's awesome.

We're also now playing with smart bulbs, they are really cool to turn say the whole kitchen on or off. Lots of the bulbs are dim so we're trying a few types to find the brightest, I'll put our results here when we work it out. If you have a Deebot and enable the skill, you can just say, Alexa tell Deebot to start/stop cleaning. Ring works the same way.

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

If you have a Deebot and enable the skill, you can just say, Alexa tell Deebot to start/stop cleaning. Ring works the same way.
I was thinking this morning about whether I should introduce Alexa to Rochester!

What's Ring? :confused:

Edit: "Alexa, I have a cat named Leon."

"I'm not sure."

"No, I'm serious!" 🤣

(Fogbow on PayPal)

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Foggy wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:26 pm
If you have a Deebot and enable the skill, you can just say, Alexa tell Deebot to start/stop cleaning. Ring works the same way.
I was thinking this morning about whether I was going to introduce Alexa to Rochester!

What's Ring? :confused:
amazon company, video doorbells, security cameras, and now, home alarm system.
http://ring.com
We are told by LE: If you see something, say something. -- I agree.
If you see something, video record it, uploaded it, and say something!

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Oh cool, thanks neon. :thumbs:

(Fogbow on PayPal)

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Video doorbell. I can see what's going on around the house from anywhere in the world. As more have been added around the area, I can see what's going on other places, too, if they share it.

https://ring.com/
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

I just got my sengled lights syched up with the Echo Dots. Now my dad can turn off the living room lights, turn on his bedroom light, etc. The thing he's enjoying the most is adding items to the shopping list. I think it helps him with a feeling of control, being able to add items that I'll go get later.
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

busterbunker

Post by busterbunker »

Yikes! A heads up if anyone is using one of these Nest gizmos:

5 minutes of sheer terror”: Hackers infiltrate East Bay family’s Nest surveillance camera, send warning of incoming North Korea missile
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2019/01/21 ... le-attack/

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

busterbunker wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:38 am
Yikes! A heads up if anyone is using one of these Nest gizmos:

5 minutes of sheer terror”: Hackers infiltrate East Bay family’s Nest surveillance camera, send warning of incoming North Korea missile
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2019/01/21 ... le-attack/
People are learning it the hard way - configure all fancy devices immediatly when you unpack them
EastBayTimes wrote:“Our recent study of the Nest platform shows that it is reasonably secure, in comparison with other similar platforms,” Nadkarni said. “In such cases, the problem most often lies in how the devices are configured and used in the smart home, especially in terms of setting the account password.
It's like the police advice: don't leave the ignition keys in your car, or, lock your front door!

Sequoia32

Post by Sequoia32 »

I just discovered that Alexa can read my Kindle books. She knows to start where I left off, too. It's not even an audio book.

Can't wait to clean up the kitchen while listening tomorrow!

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Google Home can ask you riddles! :-D
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Whackabot

Post by Whackabot »

For me, I won't ever allow something like that to enter my abode.

As a computer and electronic technician, I know how easy those devices are to hack. Heck, even cell phones are not 100% protected, all you need is a 900 mhz spectrum analyzer equipped with a speaker, and you can hear convos plain as day. There are also tons of tools on the dark web, just for this purpose. Ethical hacking and network security courses, really opens your eyes.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

You mean that the secret of my double-barrelled atomic sock knitter is not safe?????!

:eek2:

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Return to “The Lounge”