Learning From Mistakes - Musical Taste

John Thomas8

Learning From Mistakes - Musical Taste

Post by John Thomas8 »

Maybe not mistakes, maybe just laziness or bias, but whatever. I've been awake since yesterday at 1600 so this is gonna probably ramble a bit.

Growing up in the 1960s, my musical influences were what Mom played, philharmonic symphonies, Johnny Cash, or Spanish guitarists like Andres Segovia. That's not a bad foundation, I don't think. Early 1970s and my brother gets sent off to Viet Nam, I "inherit" vinyl by Rod Stewart, Black Sabbath, Vanilla Fudge, eye openers for a 11 year old. Got with some dudes in middle school and heard Zappa and Peter Gabriel-led Genesis and rounded out things (for me at the time) quite nicely.

But the mistake, to kinda try to keep up with the thread title, was that Motown and other R&B didn't sit well with me. Just didn't like it, turned off the radio if it came on, made fun of those that did listen to it. An ugly confession. But as an adult you have to own your mistakes, right?

3 years ago I'm wandering around Facebook looking for stuff about Robin Trower, a blues metal guitarist and maker of Bridge Of Sighs, one of my inherited record and make FB friends with Bill Lordan, Robin's drummer for 6 of the first 8 of Robin's albuns and a treat as a person. But Bill, he's not just a metal drummer, he started off playing R&B in Minnesota, almost teamed up with Jimi Hendrix. But the eye opener and taste expander for me came when Bill talked about playing with Sly and the Family Stone. Yes, Sly has a "bad" history, he knows it and the public knows it. But what he also had was a musical gift. As did a bunch of the folks that I derided or ignored growing up.

So I've spent bits of the last three years catching up with the likes of Sly, Stanley Clarke, Billy Cobham, George Duke, Marcus Miller and Victor Wooten. I'm sad, I missed them by being a music snob/ignoramus instead of opening my ears.

I'm 56 years old now and my music library blossomed because I let go of my prejudices and let the goodness in.

Is there a point to this? Maybe, maybe I'm still not getting it, but change is possible unless you cling to your hatreds, prejudices and stupidity. Maybe I'm just sad because the trumpsters I run across are clinging to their misery and reveling in other's misery.

I probably posted this some time last year, but Stanley and George inspire me because this is just being happy:

What a bloody mess of a post. Giggle away.

John Thomas8

Re: Learning From Mistakes - Musical Taste

Post by John Thomas8 »

And speaking of Marcus Miller, this is worth listening to, from being a jingle player in 1970s NYC to the journey it took to make 2015's Afrodeezia:

I continue to grow listening to these experiences, it's an awesome, emotional ride.

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Am I the only one that got to their musical taste on this erratic a road?

Azastan

Post by Azastan »

I grew up listening to nothing but 'classical' music. I headed into rock as a teen, but still listened to 'classical' music. I don't like listening to radios because I have hyperacuity, and the fuzziness gives me migraines.

I still listen to 'classical' music but expanded way beyond what my father played for us.

My spouse didn't grow up listening to music of any sort except what was considered cowboy music back then. He doesn't understand music. He can't hear chords or follow themes or subthemes.

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I think people let their musical taste define them rather than just listening to music and deciding whether they like it or not. On another forun there was a thread about "is this Metal" and the overall theme of the resounses were that everyone was sick of Metal Snop all fighting about what actually was Metal and rejecting all but their particular brand of Metal as fake metal while there's was authentic.

I think its great that you are looking at other music than you grew up with. But dont fall into the trap of thinking "oh a Like this R&B band so now I like all R&B" its possible to brainwash yourself into liking music by playing it over and over till it becomes familiar. I think the best music for you is the stuff that speaks to something inside you.

If you have 20 minutes to spare this video is worth a watch, as it will help your musical education. It's all about going through, scientifically, the reasons why modern commercial music sucks ass.

The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

Azastan

Post by Azastan »

Suranis wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:47 pm
I think people let their musical taste define them rather than just listening to music and deciding whether they like it or not...

I think its great that you are looking at other music than you grew up with. But dont fall into the trap of thinking "oh a Like this R&B band so now I like all R&B" its possible to brainwash yourself into liking music by playing it over and over till it becomes familiar.
I've tried listening to jazz. Any and all kinds of jazz.

Still loathe it.

Gives me migraines.

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Azastan wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:52 pm
I've tried listening to jazz. Any and all kinds of jazz.

Still loathe it.

Gives me migraines.
Yeah I'm not really a Jazz lover either, for the most part. I've heard the occasional Jazz song thats decent but I'm sure Jazz purists would vomit at them.

As for me I grew up listening to 80s rock and at home listening to to the Irish country music my Parents liked. I remember especially when I was sick at home listening to my mother listening to the Furey brothers and Davy Arthur.

Damn that still gives me the chills. Fantastic.

When I was in my 20s I got friends with some goths and that meant I was exposed to some totally different style of music. So I my choice in music now can best be described as "eclectic." Which means that when I do my once a week late night music show I actually have a LOT of different music to choose from :twisted:

This is one of the songs that totally changed the direction of my musical tastes...

The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

All excellent examples. Jazz:

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

John Thomas8 wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:10 pm
All excellent examples. Jazz:
Yeah that's some good Music.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

I like jazz, but I like a lot of different music. My favorite of all time (I guess in the jazz category) is Big Band music, from my parents' generation, not mine. It's still my favorite music to listen to when I really want to listen to music. Partnering Pandora and Alexa has been amazing for my Big Band music. I also love classical, too. We used to have an annual subscription to the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra and I really looked forward to those evenings.

One thing that I used to like about my mother-in-law is that she kept up with music in every generation. Part of that may have been that she had her five kids over 18 years, but she was always into whatever was new and popular. I didn't always like her choices, but I though her attitude was fairly unique in musical tastes. I don't think she ever liked any classical, though.

When we travel, it's not unusual for us to bring back CDs or whatever. Some of the coolest we've ever brought back and love is classical music done on Andean instruments.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

I’ve given genres I initially thought foreign to me a chance a whole buncha times and been pleasantly surprised. Opera, rap, traditional Italian, John Cage, African a cappella, heavy metal, klezmer... the only genres I haven’t yet managed to appreciate, even somewhat, are Polka, traditional Chinese, and military marches.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

It's not really about jazz, but maybe "comfort zones"? I think. I started with Leonard Bernstein and the NYC Philharmonic and here I am today with playlists that have Spin Doctors, King Crimson, Tony Williams, Frank Zappa, Gypsy, Robin Trower, Led Zeppelin, Blues Traveler, DMB, and Marcus Miller at the forefrunt.

tek

Post by tek »

Fun topic, thanks for starting it..

my musical tastes have gotten wider over time..

in retrospect:
As a kid, I was all top-40 all the time..
My older brother is two years older than me, so when he hit high school I was still in middle school.. and I started to pick up some of his influences in more of a AOR area.. thru college I was pretty much soft-rock and progressive-rock, but there were some other things creeping in as well.
Out into the real world as a young professional, I started to enjoy smooth jazz..
Then things kinda went haywire, in a sense..

Up to this point, whether I would be exposed to a song or not was mostly driven by the radio stations I listened to. Now I started to change where my exposure came from..
I happened to channel-surf across some special that involved Stan Getz.. which started me down that trail.. which led to, among other things, Gary Burton..
I did a multimedia retrospective for my parents' 50th wedding anniversary party, which led me into some of the stuff that my dad listened to when I was a kid.. such as Tijuana Brass (like) and Mantovani (not so much)
A good friend invited us to see the Django Reinhardt All-Stars at Regattabar in Cambridge MA, which led to Gypsy Jazz AND seeing occasional random shows at both Regattabar and Scullers.. some of which piqued interest, some which didn't.

I've also gone back and rediscovered some stuff that either wouldn't admit to liking as a kid, or that I couldn't appreciate then.
I mostly dislike Disco, but there are some disco-ish songs that, for whatever reason, I just *like*.
I've rediscovered Stevie Wonder. And Frank Sinatra.

Not much classical, other than Bugs Bunny soundtracks ;)

My music collection is a mess .. everything from Acoustic Alchemy to Sniff n' the Tears ;)
There's no way back
from there to here

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

For more information, read it again.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

voxpopuluxe

Post by voxpopuluxe »

Suranis wrote:
If you have 20 minutes to spare this video is worth a watch, as it will help your musical education. It's all about going through, scientifically, the reasons why modern commercial music sucks ass.

Undoubtedly, a conclusion that can be proven BY SCIENCE!

At this point in my life I probably devote more of my time and my income to music than is really wise, but, hell, I haven't any children to raise and at least it isn't heroin.

The trajectory of my own musical tastes would probably go from my childhood love of 70's disco and soft rock, through my adolescent love of everything post-punk, new wave, and Bowie, youthful discoveries of House, techno, and electronic musics, on to bop, post-rock, avant-jazz, avant-classical, opera, and Balearic grooves, but, really, I'll listen to about anything at least once. I'm probably least likely to listen to Contemporary Christian, military marches, and straight white guy guitar rock, but I'm sure if I tried I could think of a song or an album in one of those genres which I might like in the right mood. Generally, I guess the through line is—if it's weird, queer, poppy, or over-the-top enough, I'll at least want to hear it once.
“It was the worst of times, it was the worst of times.”
—Ali Smith, Autumn

voxpopuluxe

Post by voxpopuluxe »

voxpopuluxe wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:01 pm
Suranis wrote:

At this point in my life I probably devote more of my time and my income to music than is really wise, but, hell, I haven't any children to raise and at least it isn't heroin.

The trajectory of my own musical tastes would probably go from my childhood love of 70's disco and soft rock, through my adolescent love of everything post-punk, new wave, and Bowie, youthful discoveries of House, techno, and electronic musics, on to bop, post-rock, avant-jazz, avant-classical, opera, and Balearic grooves, but, really, I'll listen to about anything at least once. I'm probably least likely to listen to Contemporary Christian, military marches, and straight white guy guitar rock, but I'm sure if I tried I could think of a song or an album in one of those genres which I might like in the right mood. Generally, I guess the through line is—if it's weird, queer, poppy, or over-the-top enough, I'll at least want to hear it once.
—Ali Smith, Autumn

voxpopuluxe

Post by voxpopuluxe »

Suranis wrote:

The trajectory of my own musical tastes would probably go from my childhood love of 70's disco and soft rock, through my adolescent love of everything post-punk, new wave, and Bowie, youthful discoveries of House, techno, and electronic musics, on to bop, post-rock, avant-jazz, avant-classical, opera, and Balearic grooves, but, really, I'll listen to about anything at least once. I'm probably least likely to listen to Contemporary Christian, military marches, and straight white guy guitar rock, but I'm sure if I tried I could think of a song or an album in one of those genres which I might like in the right mood. Generally, I guess the through line is—if it's weird, quier, poppy, or over-the-top enough, I'll at least want to hear it once.

(Why is "quier" being autocorrected to "homosexual" here?)
—Ali Smith, Autumn

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Rock 'n roll is here to stay.
ABBC3_SPOILER_SHOW
ABBC3_SPOILER_SHOW

kate520

Post by kate520 »

:lol:
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

kate520

Post by kate520 »

My musical tastes were acquired listening to show tunes (My Fair Lady, The Music Man, Guys and Dolls, and Camelot spring to mind), classical, folk (my dad did a Neiman year. Parents felt compelled to join a folk group. Mom played recorder :?) and everything in between or spun off.

R&B is all wrapped up somewhere between folk and rock for me. I love the smooth sounds of R & B, loved Sly and his family, the Shirelles, all of that. We moved to DC when was 14 and all the local stations, rock too, had heavy R&B I their rotation.

I’m glad you opened your mind, JT.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

NotaPerson

Post by NotaPerson »

A few things that may (or may not) relate to this thread...

I was heavily into the classic 60's and 70s rock until I was about 19. I was especially big on the prog-rock stuff - it seemed like intellectual music, and I wanted to be an intellectual. Then I bought Roxy Music's "Avalon" album on the basis of a review I read in Rolling Stone, and to a lesser extent, the album's glorious cover. After one listen, my tastes were changed forever. It was just about the most beautiful thing I'd ever heard, and most importantly, made me realize that there was wonderful pop/rock music being made which didn't get any radio airplay. Before that, I guess I figured if it wasn't getting played on the radio, it probably wan't very good. And boy, was that ever a stupid assumption.

Not long after that I bought (also on the basis of a review in Rolling Stone) Echo and the Bunnymen's first album. It was my first real "new wave" record, and I hated it. I traded it away at a used record store a short time later. But I went on to discover and love other new wavers, like the Psychedelic Furs, Fun Boy Three, and many, many others. After finding that I loved latter Echo and the Bunnymen albums, I bought (for the second time) that first album of theirs, and this time I loved it. Apparently my tastes had evolved quite a bit in those few years.

Discovering new music remained really important to me until roughly 8-10 years ago. I couldn't imagine how I would ever loose interest in newer stuff, but by the time I was approaching my 50s it seems I did. But sometimes funny things happen - four years ago I bought a CD called "Lost in the Dream" by the band War on Drugs. I thought it was okay - it sounded sort of nice but there just wasn't anything special about it. Then one day maybe three months ago I put it on in the car while running errands. Out of laziness more than anything else, the CD remained in my car's CD player and so I've heard bits of it over and over again as I've driven my car in recent weeks. And you know what's weird? I now consider one of the best damn albums I've ever heard. I'm currently waiting for another of their CDs to arrive in the mail.

I went through a years-long phase of really loving the big band/swing stuff, especially Duke Ellington. But I admit I don't listen to it much anymore. Not sure why.
Am I being detained?

TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint »

I think your taste in rock music simply gets better with age. My teenage years were 1985-1991, a wasteland of quality music (unless you're into rap, which I'm not). My younger self didn't "get" bands like Rush, Pink Floyd, The Who, but i do now. I'm more capable of appreciating the musical complexities and lyrical themes on offer.
This bramble need not be traversed.

kate520

Post by kate520 »

My sprout jumped right into the 70s music. He was going to Black Sabbath concerts with his dad (not me, thanks) when he was in 5th grade. He went through a Zappa phase. Pink Floyd is his current favorite, but he also likes rap. Go figure.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey »

There are the 3 Davids. Crosby, Gilmour, and Bowie

Oh, and these guys.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Return to “The Lounge”