Meanwhile on the North Fork.............

Foggy

Re: Meanwhile on the North Fork.............

Post by Foggy » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:32 am

You rang?
Any time my questions are all fully answered, I know I'm asking the wrong questions. - Bernard Samson

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:19 am

Fog's gone now. :)
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:24 am

NY TImes touting the North Fork. The traffic will only get worse. :(

Southold, N.Y.: A Waterfront Hamlet on the Neighborly North Fork

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/26/real ... -fork.html
If you live on the North Fork or visit often, sooner or later you’re bound to make a stop in Southold: at the Southold Fish Market, where your dinner was swimming in nearby waters only hours before; at Ace Hardware, one of few national chain stores there, where weekenders, residents and the many contractors refurbishing centuries-old houses intersect; at North Fork Table and Inn, a farmhouse restaurant of renown, with a food truck in the parking lot; or at KK’s The Farm, known for its organically grown fruits and vegetables.

:snippity:

The 10-and-a-half-square-mile hamlet of Southold — not to be confused with the town of Southold, which encompasses the hamlet but covers a larger swath, from Riverhead to Orient Point — has the feel of a long-established hometown, one with tranquil beaches, vineyards, harbors, mom-and-pop stores and its own opera house.

“We liked the smaller school district,” Ms. Post Daddona said. “We went from a place with 600 kids in a graduating class to 66. We looked at every town and this is what we chose. I wouldn’t have changed a thing.”

But as elsewhere on the North Fork, grander, newer, million-dollar-plus houses are popping up in neighborhoods all over the hamlet, some shielded by gates and Hamptons-like hedges, illuminated by security lights.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:25 pm

It is a little known fact that Santa Claus grows his Christmas trees on the North Fork. ;)

Santa’s Christmas Tree Farm in Cutchogue headed to auction

https://suffolktimes.timesreview.com/20 ... d-auction/
Land including Santa’s Christmas Tree Farm in Cutchogue is slated to be auctioned off in Suffolk County Surrogates Court Tuesday, July 9, beginning at 10 a.m.

The land is part of the estate of Lewis Edson, who died June 20, 2013, and has been the subject of an ongoing dispute among three of his children.

Santa’s Christmas Tree Farm, which occupies two of the three parcels up for auction, is a family-owned business that has been in operation for more than 30 years on Main Road in Cutchogue.

The two Christmas tree farm lots up for auction are a 5.29-acre lot fronting Route 25, which includes 8,064-square-foot retail building and single-family residence, and a 22.5-acre lot to the north where Christmas trees are grown. The development rights for the latter have been sold to Suffolk County, meaning that only agricultural uses are allowed there.
Anyone want a 22 acre farm?

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:48 am

About to drive our daughter to the airport.

It's early. So early. :(

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:28 pm

Our daughter at the beach.

Waiting for Mrs. V. and our daughter to come up the boardwalk from the beach.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:47 pm

:thumbs: :-D
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: African-American Naomi Anderson was a leader in the suffrage movement in the west, a published poet, barber, community activist, and teacher.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:32 am

We are back from our trip to NC. One day at a wedding :) and four days of brutal holiday week traffic. :(

While we were gone-

PETA protests at Aquebogue dairy farm
Group denounces dairy industry practices; farmer Hal Goodale responds: 'Not how we farm'

https://riverheadlocal.com/2019/06/30/p ... airy-farm/
“At dairy farms, calves are separated from their distraught mothers soon after birth so that the milk meant for them can be collected for humans to drink instead,” said Moore, an expectant mother.

A group called The Hamptons Vegan organized the protest, with the assistance of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA). About 20 people participated, carrying signs with slogans such as “Not Your Mom, Not Your Milk!” and “Dairy is Cruel: Go Vegan” as they walked back and forth on the sidewalk in front of the Main Road dairy farm.

Farmer Hal Goodale, who established the dairy farm 10 years ago, was upset to to find himself in the crosshairs of PETA protest.

Female cows are never artificially inseminated on his farm, he said. The cows at Goodale Farms are kept in the pasture, where nature takes its course and calves stay with their mothers. Goodale said he has 40 cows, including the first one he bought when he started the dairy a decade ago. “Mothers produce between five and six pounds of milk per day and calves can only drink about one pound per day,” Goodale said. “If we don’t milk the mothers they will get sick.” Goodale said he tried to relay this to the protesters outside his farm yesterday.
The protestors, from the Hamptons on the South Fork, drove to the nearest dairy farm just over the Cross River Bridge. Never mind that it is a small family-run farm and not a large industrial scale operation. I have toured the farm on several occasions and can confirm that it is well run and that the animals are well treated.

Social media response has been overwhelmingly in support of the farm.

https://www.goodalefarms.com/about/

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:46 am

Milk cows overproduce, so calves can’t keep them drained.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:42 pm

It is July 3rd. So far no sounds of fire crackers or other such devices. :o

Usually these sounds start several days before and last a couple of days after the 4th.

It's quiet. Too quiet. :?

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:43 pm

Fireflies we have in abundance. :thumbs:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:53 pm

Finally, a boom. :)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:38 pm

Well, it's the 4th and still very quiet. This is not normal. :? Maybe they passed stricter laws while we were in Texas?

Warmer weather has really encouraged the fireflies. :-D

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:52 pm

Ok, one or two neighbors are providing some pops and booms.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:12 am

Living on Train Time

https://www.kathomaswriter.com/and-one- ... 561qcylyck
Growing up on Long Island meant knowing the schedule for the LI Railroad (LIRR) by heart like mastering the multiplication tables in third grade. Everyone used “train time” before there were cellphone apps to help you along in life. Funny thing: it worked.

Back in the 50s the train came through Riverhead three times a day on the way to the end of the line in Greenport and the return route back to the west to New York City.

There was no need for a watch or clock, for when the whistle tooted two miles before the huge steam engine appeared at the Railroad Avenue station, it was time to go downstairs for breakfast before school, or at the end of the day, it was the signal to get peddling home on my bike – with a couple minutes to spare - for dinner.

Frankly, I don’t remember too much about the noon time train as I was in school held captive by my teachers, although the tracks went right by the playground and even the older boys in sixth grade moved away from the chain link fence when the train went roaring by either starting back up or slowly down. For a few seconds the ground shook and shuddered and then you were back to yelling and climbing the monkey bars.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:43 pm

Now that the NC wedding is past we are in the busy time of summer.

When we got back summer heat had finally arrived. :) Since our Circles annual association meeting was this morning I spent 3 days preparing the treasurer's report, the budget and updating the mailing/phone list.

Last night Mrs. V., her cousin from the DC area who has a cottage on the circle, her cousin's husband and I went to Greenport for dinner. For dessert I had the cheese platter. :thumbs:

Then Mrs. V. played in the Greenport Band's concert. This was the first time she has played with them and she was invited back. The band, founded in 1851, never rehearses so members have to be very good at sight-reading and have to pay close attention to the conductor.

A highlight of the evening was JP Sousa's "Old Ironsides March" which I had never heard before.

The Greenport Band-

If you look in the right hand corner over the yacht you can make out a Trump flag and a Gadsden flag flying from one of the boats. :madguy: Here is a better view of that-

Meanwhile the day lilies and hydrangea and in full bloom. :-D

This coming week one of Mrs. V's early music friends from Texas is flying up Wednesday. On Sunday I will drive them via the ferry to Connecticut College for a two week music festival. Mrs. V. is taking two master classes and has been practicing furiously every evening.

Before that one of Mrs. V's high school friends will arrive on Thursday. On Saturday she and Mrs. V. will attend their 50th high school reunion up island. They are sharing an hotel room.

As usual I will stay home and take care of the cat. :(

After I fetch Mrs. V. and her friend back from Connecticut and get her friend on the plane home our younger daughter's new in-laws will be here for a week-long visit. Once they leave Mrs. V. will head off to another part of Connecticut for a 4 day Celtic music festival.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:12 pm

It has been a busy several days here.

Last Wednesday one of Mrs.V's early music friends from Texas flew in. She and Mrs. V. are now attending the Amherst Music Festival in New London CT. The next day one of Mrs. V's high school classmates arrived. She and Mrs. V. had their 50th reunion on Saturday.

On Friday we all went to Greenport for dinner and Mrs. V. played with the Greenport band again.

Moon over Greenport-

That tubular thing on the left is one of several misters that operate on hot days so the people in the park can get cooled off.

Saturday evening while Mrs. V. and her classmate were at the reunion the early music friend, one of Mrs. V's cousins and I went for dinner to our favorite Italian restaurant. The owner has been going thru a bad time due to his wife's serious illness. :(

Sunday we loaded up the car to take the ferry to New London. This is what Mrs. V. took for just two weeks-

I think Amundsen took fewer supplies to the South Pole. ;)

On the way to the ferry we were held up for 13 minutes due to heavy traffic at that lavender farm. :madguy:

At the ferry dock there were hundreds of boy scouts and all their kit ( tents, coolers, knapsacks, chairs etc). :o I have never seen a ferry so full. Almost every seat was taken. The cars were so closely spaced that I couldn't get out of the driver's side door. I got stuck and had to struggle to get back in the van. I then climbed over and go out the passenger side door. This required a lot of effort.

At the college we unloaded and lugged. I then headed back to the ferry. My ferry proved to be the Cape Henlopen. :)

The Cape Henlopen was an LST the brought soldiers and equipment to Omaha Beach on D-Day.

The ferry has an upstairs bar called the 510 Lounge. To this I headed and immediately went off my low carb diet with a footlong Nathan's hot dog with NY style onion sauce and a beer. :-D

While eating I thought about what the D-Day soldiers who crossed the channel on the LST 510 would think to see it now full of vacationers and tourists.

The view from the 510 Lounge-

We passed the ferry we had taken earlier to New London-

The "Coffee Pot" and another ferry-

I drove about 60 miles and did 2 ferry crossings just to get back to where I started. ;) I will do that next Sunday to visit Mrs. V. and I will do it again the Sunday after that to pick up Mrs. V. and her friend. I should earn a free ferry trip pretty soon. ;)

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:23 pm

:like:

Did I already mention that I enjoy your reports from the summer residency?

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:36 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:23 pm

Did I already mention that I enjoy your reports from the summer residency?

JohnPCapitalist
Occupation: Investment management in the financial industry. Deep knowledge of stocks, tech and economics.

Post by JohnPCapitalist » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:59 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:12 pm
On the way to the ferry we were held up for 13 minutes due to heavy traffic at that lavender farm. :madguy:

At the ferry dock there were hundreds of boy scouts and all their kit ( tents, coolers, knapsacks, chairs etc). :o I have never seen a ferry so full. Almost every seat was taken. The cars were so closely spaced that I couldn't get out of the driver's side door. I got stuck and had to struggle to get back in the van. I then climbed over and go out the passenger side door. This required a lot of effort.
On Saturday, I went with my bike club for a ride to the North Fork and to Shelter Island. We took the ferry from New London to Orient Point, rode into Greenport, took the North Ferry to Shelter Island and rode what seemed like every frickin' road on the island, for a total of 50 miles. Thanks to your travelogues, I felt practically like a native when going there for the first time.

Yeah, the traffic at the lavender farm on the way back was pretty frightful. There were three cops directing traffic, but it was still gridlock for at least a half mile. It's very nerve-wracking to go flying down the shoulder at close to 20 mph on a bike hoping some moron in an SUV doesn't suddenly decide to pull into a driveway without looking, in order to turn around and get out of the traffic. That and getting "doored" by someone getting out of their car on the main road in Greenport, were the scariest parts of the ride.

Our ferry ride back to New London was also fairly challenging. Instead of Boy Scouts, we had a bunch of people getting fairly rapidly blasted on a "fireworks cruise." Several hundred Lawn Guylanders were cruising to New London just in time to watch the (fairly impressive) fireworks show. Not entirely packed, but a little annoying. Also, the deck crew was a little miffed at having to find spaces to park 60 bikes. They're of the "toss 'em all in a pile over there" school and we're of the "like hell will we toss finely-tuned carbon fiber dream machines into anything resembling a pile" school of thought. We eventually prevailed after some negotiating.

On the science geek front, we passed the small, quaint Ram's Head Inn on Ram Island, a small island connected to Shelter Island by a causeway. I happened to remember it was the site of the 1947 Shelter Island conference, which was potentially one of the most important scientific conferences in the 20th century. 24 leading American physicists, including Fermi, Oppenheimer, Feynman, Von Neumann (he made important contributions to physics before he pioneered computing), Teller, Pauling, Rabi and Schwinger, got together for the first time after WWII. In three short days, they set the course for research on quantum physics that drove the evolution of the field for many decades.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:22 pm

Severe Thunderstorm, Flash Flood Watches Issued For Long Island

https://patch.com/new-york/northfork/s/ ... aign=alert
"Thunderstorms have quickly increased in coverage ahead of the remnants of T.C. Barry and are expected to impact the area through tonight," the NWS said in a forecast discussion Wednesday afternoon. "The timeframe of best potential for severe winds will be through this evening when surface-based instability is maximized."

Quarter-size hail and wind gusts up to 70 mph are possible with any severe storms.

Rainfall totals are expected to range between 1 and 2 inches with locally higher amounts. Rainfall rates of one inch per hour or more are possible.

A heat advisory is also in effect until 8 p.m. Wednesday for Nassau and western Suffolk County with the heat index approaching 100 degrees.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:43 pm

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:47 pm

Cool!

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:48 am

Post Office plans to keep South Jamesport branch

https://riverheadnewsreview.timesreview ... rt-branch/
The South Jamesport post office on Second Street remains closed, nearly four months after it was shut down due to an odor inside the building. Postal officials say they plan to continue using the building as a post office once repairs are made.

While investigating the odor, the postal service discovered that the building also was significantly sloped on one side, Ms. Marion said, which needed to be corrected.

On Nov. 25, 1907, a deed from Beulah Hawkins to the Village Improvement Society of South Jamesport was recorded, and the property was given to the post office rent-free, so long as it remained a post office, according to a June 1955 letter from former Riverhead Town supervisor Joseph Kelly to South Jamesport postmaster Harry McKasson.

If the post office use were to be discontinued, the building would be removed and the property given back, according to the letter, although it’s unclear who would get the parcel, which is about 0.2 acres.
The Hawkins family made a fortune fishing for menhaden and processing the fish into oil and fertilizer.

Beulah Youngs of South Jamesport married Captain Simeon S. Hawkins in 1852. Simeon was a brother of Jedediah Hawkins whose mansion is now a boutique hotel and restaurant.

Simeon was for a time the captain of a coastal trading schooner during which time he came into contact with southerners in the Carolinas. As a result of this he changed his political views and became a staunch member of the then new Republican Party. Eventually he was elected to the NY State Assembly then to the State Senate. He served a term as Riverhead Town Supervisor winning that election running against his brother Edward who ran as a Democrat. He was a founder and vice president of the Riverhead Savings Bank. He died in 1906. Beulah died in 1909.

All of the North Fork Hawkins clan are descendants of Robert Hawkynns and Marie Hawkynns who arrived in Charleston, Mass from London in 1635. One of their sons, Zachariah, moved to what is now Setauket on Long Island sometime before 1663. Captain Simeon and his brothers moved from Setauket to Jamesport in the mid 1800's.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:52 am

Southold Town could get ‘experimental’ with fall traffic this year

https://suffolktimes.timesreview.com/20 ... ffic-year/
One pumpkin-season pilot program could involve closing a portion of Sound Avenue to westbound traffic on Saturday and Sunday mornings to use that lane for eastbound vehicles. With two lanes heading east, Chief Flatley said one lane could be used as a turning lane for vehicles attempting to enter businesses along Sound Avenue and “maybe increase the flow of eastbound traffic a lot better than it’s been in the past,” he said.

Westbound vehicles would have to be diverted to the Main Road, likely at Aldrich Lane in Laurel.

“The downside to that is eastbound traffic is still going to slow up,” at the detour spot, Chief Flatley said, noting that any experimental traffic pattern would be under close police supervision from both the Southold and Riverhead police departments.
That idea seems a bit radical. :?

Return to “The Lounge”