Hijack this thread

BBFlatt

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by BBFlatt » Sat May 11, 2019 2:07 pm

Adding extra tips to bring her net check down should increase the FICA taxes the employer pays, if they are reporting the same amounts to IRS/SSA as they are to the employee.

If she has her annual statement from SSA she should compare her Social Security earnings history to block 3 on her W-2 and her pay stub total. If she doesn't have a SSA statement, she should get one.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sat May 11, 2019 4:54 pm

BBFlatt wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 2:07 pm
Adding extra tips to bring her net check down should increase the FICA taxes the employer pays, if they are reporting the same amounts to IRS/SSA as they are to the employee.

If she has her annual statement from SSA she should compare her Social Security earnings history to block 3 on her W-2 and her pay stub total. If she doesn't have a SSA statement, she should get one.
Thank you.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat May 11, 2019 7:34 pm

wrote: Published on 10 May 2019

I took a boat through 96 million black plastic balls on the Los Angeles reservoir to find out why they're there. The first time I heard about shade balls the claim was they reduce evaporation. But it turns out this isn't the reason they were introduced.

Huge thanks to LADWP for arranging this special tour for me. Next time let's put the GoPro on the submersible!

The balls are made of high density polyethylene (HDPE) which is less dense than water so they float on the surface of the reservoir even if they break apart. They are 10cm (4 inches) in diameter and contain about 210ml of water. So the main reason they are on the reservoir is to block sunlight from entering the water and triggering a chemical reaction that turns harmless bromide into carcinogenic bromate. This effect occurs with prolonged exposure to bromate so regulators insist that levels be kept below 10 microgram per liter on average over a 12 month period.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxPdPpi5W4o

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun May 12, 2019 11:09 am

Happy Mothers' Day!

My mother during WWII-
IMG_20180513_0001 (Small).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Jez

Post by Jez » Sun May 12, 2019 12:06 pm

I have entirely and complete stolen a post on Facebook (with the author's permission). It's a tribute to Mother's and their Mother's and their Mother's through the branches of the family tree. While I was gathering the names it was fun to read them. Lydia, Hannah, Abigail, and of course Mary were common names. And there is a Cleopatra (no, not that one) and a Dorcas in there.

If you are interested, I"m hiding it under "Spoiler" and Hidden tags. It's a long one.
► Show Spoiler
I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Sun May 12, 2019 7:04 pm

The author, of course, is a boogle member.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon May 13, 2019 5:37 am

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Mon May 13, 2019 8:49 am

It was Mother's Day yesterday, but we celebrated Bacchus ... a bit too much maybe.

We've had some raccous Mom Day celebrations in the past, but the G wommenen took it to a new and undiscovered level I think. It's not unusual for us to require a two drink minimum, but judging by the empties, they thought we said two bottles. We are going to have to be really careful with the jingle jangling today Cowboy, and I don't mean spurs.

Currently dosing Mrs with aspirin and double strength coffee just so sunlight can crack her eyes open.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Mon May 13, 2019 9:02 am

Did I mention the missionaries? Now, that's a funny story. They noticed our family gathering, and following neighborhood rules, if you can hear it or see it, you're invited. And, so they did. Now, they are missionaries. So, they politely knocked on the door first rather than just come through the side gate from where you can see all of us. And us not being in the living room at the time, we didn't answer the door. They finally worked up the courage to walk around back which is perfectly acceptable, and I'm sure it was the longest ten steps of trepidation they have taken in their lives considering the whoppin and hollerin they probably heard.

No probably about it. We were on a roll about that time ....

Oh, look at the time. Gotta go. It's Monday. See you all. Have a great day.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Mon May 13, 2019 8:25 pm

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Mon May 13, 2019 9:54 pm

:like:
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Tue May 14, 2019 4:47 am

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue May 14, 2019 7:32 am

Whatever4 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 4:47 am
I guess teaching Roman numerals would show similiar numbers cause of Pope and them not being real Christians... :blackeye:

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue May 14, 2019 11:39 am

Arabic numerals are Sharia numerals. :doh:
The future is fun! The future is fair!
You may already have won! You may already be there!

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Wed May 15, 2019 10:50 am

Watch This Spider Nesting in a Man's Ear
In search of nightmare fuel? Behold: a video of a tiny spider living inside a man’s ear canal.
:snippity:
A few years ago, a woman in India sought treatment for a headache, which was caused by a large spider in her ear cavity.

So, if one video of a spider in an ear wasn’t enough for you today, here’s one from the Indian woman’s case, for the road.
(Hit the link to watch the videos, if you think you can stand it.)
I've heard this bull before.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Wed May 15, 2019 12:22 pm

DejaMoo wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:50 am
Watch This Spider Nesting in a Man's Ear
In search of nightmare fuel? Behold: a video of a tiny spider living inside a man’s ear canal.
:snippity:
A few years ago, a woman in India sought treatment for a headache, which was caused by a large spider in her ear cavity.

So, if one video of a spider in an ear wasn’t enough for you today, here’s one from the Indian woman’s case, for the road.
(Hit the link to watch the videos, if you think you can stand it.)
It’s actually pretty cute when it comes out.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Thu May 16, 2019 10:40 am

Yesterday I passed the physical for cataract surgery. They slice, dice, grate and puree my right eye next Tuesday. The left eye gets the same treatment ten days later. At least I won't be seeing the OSG on the news for a few days. Small favors…
Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Thu May 16, 2019 1:56 pm

Had a work related problem. I can’t really go into details, but it was one of those problems that was kind of hard to explain because it’s not the sort of problem that comes up very often. But I knew it could be easily resolved if I could just get to the right person in an enormous federal bureaucracy. Despite an intense desire to get angry and throw things, I didn’t. I was patient and polite to everyone I spoke with, because I knew eventually someone would send me to the right person. And finally, after 57 minutes, and many transfers, they did. Problem solved. I love days like this.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

tek

Post by tek » Thu May 16, 2019 4:15 pm

daughter.tek isn't the only child I'm proud of..

I'm the father of the unit on the left in this video. The one that you can actually understand.
Kind of interesting to hear the difference in quality against one of its contemporaries (both are 30-year-olds now..)

But I'm strong, strong enough to carry him
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:25 pm

:like:

tek

Post by tek » Thu May 16, 2019 7:02 pm

Gonna toot my team's horn a bit more on that DECTalk Express thingy:
- we were a barely-funded group inside a huge corporation. We scraped for resources, but luckily I had a lot of friends from my days making big profits for the corporation
- I beat relentlessly on the loaner "industrial designer" we managed to snag, and together we built something relatively indestructible. There are no square corners or faces (which will shatter on impact), the connectors all bear on the external case rather than on the connectors themselves, the volume control is mechanically completely shielded against impact.. such that it will survive without damage a fall from 5ft onto concrete *with the external stuff plugged in*.
- When you find these things at a garage sale today, they still work - and are intact. The only thing that has gone bad is the battery pack, which is not surprising.. Sanyo stopped making those NiCd cells (best technology available at the time) 25 years ago. BUT the design is such that it will work fine with a dead or missing battery on external power. The goal was to not leave a sight-impared user in the lurch for ANY reason.

There were things that we didn't get quite right at first, but with one exception1 we fixed them all. There are a pile of tiny details in the design that just make sure it is as good as we could make it.

It lives on: every second year I give a talk to engineering undergrads at my alma mater walking through the big and little details - and how we came up with them and why they were/are important.

1 the stupid DEC MMJ (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modified_Modular_Jack) connector. There was no way we were gonna be allowed to release the product without using this proprietary connector for the cable that connected to the host. I did not want to have a user get stuck needing this stupid cable in a pinch. I nearly got fired for arguing against it, but exercising the better part of valor decided that it was better to get the product out than die over this minor point.
But I'm strong, strong enough to carry him
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu May 16, 2019 8:17 pm

for our rock enthusiasts, video in the article
Spectacular landform discovered in China

A rare salt karst formation has been discovered in northwestern China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region on May 11. The spectacular video shows the incredible scene of the first salt-dissolved karst landform in the region. A karst formation is shaped when soluble minerals are dissolved over time to form unique rock formations and can form caves, cliffs and sinkholes. An engineer from the Bureau of Geology and Mineral Resources said it was the first time he saw the landform in his 25-year career.
https://www.msn.com/en-nz/video/viral/s ... vi-AABsMW7

Jez

Post by Jez » Fri May 17, 2019 8:52 am

RTH10260 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 8:17 pm
for our rock enthusiasts, video in the article
Spectacular landform discovered in China

A rare salt karst formation has been discovered in northwestern China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region on May 11. The spectacular video shows the incredible scene of the first salt-dissolved karst landform in the region. A karst formation is shaped when soluble minerals are dissolved over time to form unique rock formations and can form caves, cliffs and sinkholes. An engineer from the Bureau of Geology and Mineral Resources said it was the first time he saw the landform in his 25-year career.
https://www.msn.com/en-nz/video/viral/s ... vi-AABsMW7
Here's a fairly idiotic question for the rock hounds: How could they have missed a land form this big? And it seems in the beginning of the video that there are some structures next to it. I'm seriously curious. Was it just a matter of the geologists not sure what formed the karst?
I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri May 17, 2019 11:07 am

Harvard Law professor leaves Harvey Weinstein defense team, then loses faculty dean post
BY STEPHANIE FRANCIS WARD

MAY 16, 2019, 1:25 PM CDT

Ronald S. Sullivan Jr., a Harvard Law School professor, resigned last week from Harvey Weinstein’s criminal defense team. However, that didn’t stop the university’s decision to remove him and his wife, lecturer Stephanie Robinson, from their roles as faculty deans for undergraduate student housing, a position that oversees students’ academic progress and overall well-being.

Weinstein is charged with sexual assault, and Sullivan, who directs the law school’s Criminal Justice Institute, joined his defense team in January, the Harvard Crimson reports. Various campus groups protested Sullivan’s involvement in the case, as well as him speaking against a Harvard Title IX investigation regarding sexual harassment allegations that involve economics professor Roland Gerhard Fryer Jr., the student paper reported in an earlier article.

University Dean Rakesh Khurana announced in an email Saturday that Sullivan and Robinson would not continue on as faculty deans at Harvard’s Winthrop House after June 30. The faculty dean positions are unrelated to their law school appointments, Robinson told the ABA Journal in an email.

“We are surprised and dismayed by the action Harvard announced today. We believed the discussions we were having with high-level university representatives were progressing in a positive manner, but Harvard unilaterally ended those talks. We will now take some time to process Harvard’s actions and consider our options,” the couple wrote in a statement. They were appointed to the positions in 2009, according to the New York Times.

http://www.abajournal.com/web/article/h ... rship-spot

Return to “The Lounge”