Weather Alerts

RTH10260

Re: Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:24 pm

The Great Lakes are overflowing with record amounts of water
Flooding in southeastern Michigan along western Lake Erie following heavy rains contributed to high water levels in early May.
By Ian Livingston June 6 at 3:52 PM

Lake Erie and Lake Superior broke records for average water levels in May, as did Lake St. Clair on Detroit’s eastern edge, according to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. In May, Lake Erie also reached its highest level on record for any month.

Record- or near-record-high water levels are forecast to continue in the summer before making the usual downturn into fall.

The effects of these high waters have been wide-reaching. Recreational beaches have shrunk, and water has inundated docks and destroyed roads.

Damage to lakeshore property was reported again this week along Lake Ontario in Upstate New York in the town of Henderson.

“There’s houses surrounded by water, water going into houses and lake water in the roads,” Eric Anderson, an operations coordinator for the Henderson Fire District, told the Watertown Daily Times. “Carp are feeding in people’s front lawns.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/ ... nts-water/

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:22 pm

Hot and dry. Hope no fires start.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:40 pm

It was 106° here yesterday (just South of San José) but it's only supposed to be 100° today.

This is unusual for June. The costal fog just up and left. I was in Santa Cruz on Sunday and it was hot at the beach.

But then again, we had 2 inches of rain in May, with snow in the Sierra, which never happens either.

Good thing climate change is a Chinese hoax.
Image Image Image Image Image

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:07 pm

That's almost 120F!! :shock:

India staring at longest heatwave in 3 decades, monsoon relief unlikely soon

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-ne ... FVClJ.html
Nearly two-thirds of India sizzled on Tuesday under a spell of a heatwave that is on course to becoming the longest ever as scalding temperatures killed four train passengers, drained water supplies, and drove thousands of tourists to hill stations already bursting at the seams.

Across large swathes of northern, central and peninsular India, the mercury breached the 45 degree mark, including in Jhansi in Uttar Pradesh, Churu and Bikaner in Rajasthan, Hisar and Bhiwani in Haryana, Patiala in Punjab, and Gwalior and Bhopal in Madhya Pradesh.

The Capital, which sweltered on its hottest June day in history on Monday (48 degrees Celsius) recorded as maximum temperature of 45.4 degrees Celcius at Palam in spite of a spell of light rain in the morning.

:snippity:

With a heatwave spell stretching 32 days, 2019 has already seen the second-longest spell of scorching temperature ever recorded. If the mercury doesn’t dramatically drop in the next two days, 2019 will become the year with the longest heatwave spell in recorded history — with three weeks to go in June.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:30 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:07 pm
That's almost 120F!! :shock:

India staring at longest heatwave in 3 decades, monsoon relief unlikely soon
[/quote]

That's what is projected to be the usual hot spell summer temps in the not-too-distant future for large swaths of India. Much of the equatorial regions, parts of Asia, and the Middle East are expected to become uninhabitable, in that it will be impossible to live there without air conditioning, and the electricity draw by all the a/c units, plus the extreme heat, will put extra stress on the local power grid. When the power goes out, masses of people will die.

The world is fixating on a relatively small number of migrants moving to Europe and North America now. Wait until we have millions of USAnian refugees from the southwest deserts and coastal regions moving northward, plus over a billion desperate refugees from from other parts of the world migrating en masse out of the flood or heat death zones.

If I were in the Canadian government, I'd be making contingency planning already for the swaths of humanity that will be crossing the borders seeking refuge. They will be overrun.
I've heard this bull before.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:37 pm

They will build the wall on their own southern border and the US will be paying for it :!:

;)

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:10 pm

90. Cats are flopping on the hard floors vs the carpet, so you know it's hot.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:46 am

I was in the Delta on Saturday to judge a quilt show, and then 3 days in the North MS hill country on a movie set, and the flooded, dead farmland all around brought tears to my eyes. Acre after acre after acre of either flooded fields or dead crops for miles. People in Vicksburg have been flooded out of their homes for over 100 days, and 544,000 acres of Delta farmland are under water. High water under every bridge I crossed whether it was a river, creek or slough. Some so high for so long the trees along the banks were dead and dying. Alligators are roaming around in yards in residential areas, and bears are on the highways. 4 deer in the backyard of the house I was staying at in the middle of town. Our politicians are begging for the CoE to finally install the pumps for the backwater floods and getting nowhere and meanwhile, the flooding is worse than 1927. My heart is breaking for our entire, beautiful state and all the farmers who are affected. Even the oyster farmers are suffering, and it will only get worse.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:07 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:46 am
I was in the Delta on Saturday to judge a quilt show, and then 3 days in the North MS hill country on a movie set, and the flooded, dead farmland all around brought tears to my eyes. Acre after acre after acre of either flooded fields or dead crops for miles. People in Vicksburg have been flooded out of their homes for over 100 days, and 544,000 acres of Delta farmland are under water. High water under every bridge I crossed whether it was a river, creek or slough. Some so high for so long the trees along the banks were dead and dying. Alligators are roaming around in yards in residential areas, and bears are on the highways. 4 deer in the backyard of the house I was staying at in the middle of town. Our politicians are begging for the CoE to finally install the pumps for the backwater floods and getting nowhere and meanwhile, the flooding is worse than 1927. My heart is breaking for our entire, beautiful state and all the farmers who are affected. Even the oyster farmers are suffering, and it will only get worse.
:(

Jcolvin2

Post by Jcolvin2 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:08 am

Kendra wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:10 pm
Hit 97 at the Weather Underground Station closest to my home in a Seattle suburb. In the 30 plus years I have lived here, I am pretty sure we have not reached that number in June. Our cat is spending most of his time on the hard wood or tile floors, and is shedding like crazy. At least work has AC.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:16 am

Jcolvin2 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:08 am
Kendra wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:10 pm
Hit 97 at the Weather Underground Station closest to my home in a Seattle suburb. In the 30 plus years I have lived here, I am pretty sure we have not reached that number in June. Our cat is spending most of his time on the hard wood or tile floors, and is shedding like crazy. At least work has AC.
It is early for temps that high. I don't mind work so much because like you, AC. Frigidaire is selling these portable swamp cooler thingies, I got none last month. Keeps the temp in one room down, not like AC, but it helps.

HST's Ghost

Post by HST's Ghost » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:09 pm

Nice overview of the Delta and Yazoo flooding

South Delta residents, enduring the longest flood since 1927, hope the EPA reverses course on Yazoo Pumps

Deere, 44, loads her dogs on the boat twice a day when she must take them for walks, though she leaves the smallest one at home for fear of the alligators that live in these waters. This way of life, she said, is untenable.

“Emotionally, I have good days and I have bad days,” she said. “Some days I’m ready to go, some days I look outside and I want to despair. I want to just lie down and die. But that’s not an option.”

Record rainfall has led to the persistent flooding this year. That’s caused the Mississippi River at nearby Vicksburg to remain above flood stage, which is the water level that can cause massive flooding, for more than 114 consecutive days. That’s the longest span since 1927, according to the Mississippi River Levee Board. The water has also reached the highest level since 1973.

And while 2019 has been extreme, flooding in the Yazoo backwater area, as this part of the state is known, happens nearly every single year. Since 2000, there have only been five years when it hasn’t flooded here.

https://mississippitoday.org/2019/06/13 ... zoo-pumps/
Either give me more wine or leave me alone. - Rumi

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:05 am

Tornadoes Return to Wreak Havoc Across US

https://www.courthousenews.com/tornadoe ... across-us/
Fallen trees ripped down power lines and crashed into buildings from Texas to Alabama overnight and into Thursday morning, the national Storm Prediction Center reported. Similar damage continued later in the day in parts of Georgia, the Carolinas and southeast Virginia.

Straight-line winds of up to 85 mph damaged roofs Wednesday in the northeast Texas city of Greenville, the National Weather Service reported. Local officials initially suspected a tornado. In Mississippi, Jackson Salter, 19, died when a tree fell on his home Wednesday night, Washington County Coroner Methel Johnson told The Delta Democrat-Times.

A fallen tree was also blamed for the Thursday afternoon death of a person in Columbia, South Carolina, the Richland County Coroner’s Office said. A wind gust of 79 mph was recorded in the city that afternoon. Across the Carolinas, there were dozens of reports of trees down, some landing on houses in North Carolina and others landing in the middle of Interstate 20 in South Carolina.

Utilities reported more than 200,000 customers without power Thursday evening across Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia. More than 50,000 remained without power in Arkansas on Thursday evening, long after storms had blown through.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:32 pm

There were pine needles in mah swimmin' pool. :madguy:

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:14 pm

Foggy wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:32 pm
There were pine needles in mah swimmin' pool. :madguy:
Traditional Hydrotherapy

Pine-Needle Bath

https://www.traditionalhydrotherapy.com ... eBath.html
;)

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:13 pm

My sister from Seattle was here all last week and commented about the drought conditions in the Seattle area. I talked to her last night. While she was here, her recording thermometer hit a high of 95° last week.

If you want to see some of the tweets about devastating rains in farm country, check out #noplant2019.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:31 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:13 pm
My sister from Seattle was here all last week and commented about the drought conditions in the Seattle area. I talked to her last night. While she was here, her recording thermometer hit a high of 95° last week.

If you want to see some of the tweets about devastating rains in farm country, check out #noplant2019.
My lawn is barely getting by. Downpours and deluges for weeks, then barely enough rain to keep the grass green. I fertilized the lawn last Wednesday, hoping for enough rain this weekend to water it in. My reward: Itchy eyes for my four week eye exam and glasses fitting.
Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:13 pm

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:58 pm

ABC News

Verified account

@ABC
2h2 hours ago
More
Massive amounts of floodwater poured through southwest Missouri following heavy rainfall, destroying a bridge and cutting off residents from main roads. More severe weather is likely in parts of the Midwest, with strong winds and brief tornadoes possible. https://abcn.ws/2IGwcpU

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:43 pm

Not the disaster the midwest is suffering (yet) but it's officially rainy season here in SWFL and we've had maybe four days of rain this month. And it's hot! I mean really hot! like mid 90s with high humidity, but no rain.
ImageImageImage x4

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:36 pm

They may not have to worry about selling soybeans to China at this rate. They don't like too much water either, not that most cultivated crops do. Not going to be a good year for farmers.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

HST's Ghost

Post by HST's Ghost » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:39 am

Looks like a small typhoon is headed towards the G-20. Expected to dump a bunch of rain right on Thursday and Friday...

https://www.jma.go.jp/en/typh/
Either give me more wine or leave me alone. - Rumi

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:03 pm

a case of #MeToo
Melting Autobahn, jaguars in pools, naked men on scooters: Europe faces an ‘inferno’

Europe is bracing for a record-setting heat wave. Here's what you need to know.
Scorching temperatures are forecasted to sweep across Europe in late June. Here are some of the long-term and short-term effects to expect.

By Luisa Beck , Rick Noack and William Booth June 27 at 5:13 PM

BERLIN — An early summer heat wave across Europe is breaking records, as the continent oven-bakes under dangerous temperatures soaring above 100 degrees Fahrenheit, driven by hot winds from the Sahara.

On social media, Europeans are posting memes of sinners burning in hell. A heat map for France, tweeted by a university meteorologist, appeared next to the Edvard Munch painting “The Scream.” A forecaster in Spain warned that an “inferno” was coming.

On the television news, the continent’s weather reporters were standing in front of maps with swirling blobs of hot pink and blood red, illustrations of extreme heat.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/eu ... story.html

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:06 pm

Flash flooding in the Rochester, Minnesota area today. 4.95" of rain at the Rochester Airport in the early morning, up to 8" in the area.

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:42 pm

A big ol' wall cloud moved past yesterday afternoon. I stood in front of the window looking at it in awe as it neared. About the time it was overhead the winds picked up to 80 MPH. Straight winds with quarter-size hail and heavy rain. This went on for over 5 minutes. I thought my large "can see Russia through it" window was going to buy the farm. It held. The body shops are about to see a surge of business.
Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

Return to “► ► Breaking News ◄ ◄”