Another Shooting

scirreeve

Re: Another Shooting

Post by scirreeve » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:14 am

I have never owned a gun except a BB gun when I was 7 or so which was correctly confiscated from me when I shot my brother (he deserved it JK). My parents and grandparents also never owned guns AFAIK. My parents are right wing Fox watching folks and have always complained about the lax gun laws (their only disagreement with Fox as far as I know). I remember them complaining about the NRA and how stupid it was decades ago I did not grow up in that culture and do not understand it.

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:27 am

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:41 pm
Kendra wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:03 pm
I'd like to see owning guns like owning/driving cars. We all had driver's ed, or whatever it's called now. Before getting a driver's license there's a written test and a spin to see how you do. Get a license, but we still need some insurance, or we can get tickets and maybe lose the license. You don't have a license and insurance, no go buying a car.
How many folks are like me? I own a gun. I didn't buy it though. My husband did. When he died, it became mine. Actually, I own a number of guns, I guess. There are some basic hunting guns downstairs, something any kid growing up in rural Iowa would own. And there's a handgun safely tucked away that I would never shoot. My husband did go target shooting with it. Sigh. I guess all will end up going to relatives, but I really need to think about who should end up with the handgun.
Me too also. I inherited my dad’s hunting weapon. A 12 gauge side by side double barrel shotgun he had custom made in Spain in the 1950’s. We use that to shoot skeet off the hill out front. I also have a .22 rifle with a scope Mr.D shoots varmints with, but I had to buy because he's a bloody foreigner, and a .22 semi automatic hand gun (that holds a whole 5 shots) we shoot cans off the horse fence with, and Christmas tree ornaments off posts down in the bottom field. I personally gave up shooting when it became apparent that I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn door if I was standing right in front of it.

Birfers are toast

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:38 am

scirreeve wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:14 am
I have never owned a gun except a BB gun when I was 7 or so which was correctly confiscated from me when I shot my brother (he deserved it JK). My parents and grandparents also never owned guns AFAIK. My parents are right wing Fox watching folks and have always complained about the lax gun laws (their only disagreement with Fox as far as I know). I remember them complaining about the NRA and how stupid it was decades ago I did not grow up in that culture and do not understand it.
There is more than one gun culture.

There is a rural gun culture where you had guns because of the snakes that could kill you, the pigeons shitting in the barn, and the FUCKING raccoons shitting everywhere. While you were at it, some rabbits, squirrels and maybe even a deer or turkey provided some free meat as a bonus. Guns were dangerous tools, just like chainsaws that you were taught to use in your early teens. I wasn't quite raised in this gun culture, but I was certainly raised next to it.

It is entirely different than the need for a super duper semi-auto to protect my freedumb from the gov'ment, kill anything that moves whether it causes any harm or you plan to eat it or not, tannerite targets, and expensive military gun as hillbilly fashion accessory NRA gun culture that is the problem.

There is also a city gang hand gun culture that I know even less about but which is a big problem too.

"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

scirreeve

Post by scirreeve » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:02 am

Yeah - I get that. I grew up rural but my parents always thought there was more danger to their kids (me ) from having guns in the house than from snakes and other varmints. That was their choice and I've never felt the need to own a gun. Not trying to pick a fight with responsible gun owners.

Dave at Sea

Post by Dave at Sea » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:59 am

Edge of suburbia (bush in the back yard) for me, father in the Army Reserve - fire arm safety drummed in - even though we had no guns - just in case I ever was near one - fired a little bit at a cousins farm (after the mandatory safety refresher and hard questions/supervision), worked around firearms, though about getting a shotgun as back up for bow hunting - but discovered the SCA so Rattan and Rubber tips for me. Friends have/had guns (and some of them shouldn't have when they were younger) - I have no desire to own or shoot - Port Arthur took away any temptation in that sphere. I know enough about welding to not want to do that, same goes with guns. And yes I'm very careful with the chainsaw.

ps. I used to catch snakes by hand for fun as a young'un then I grew up... :rolleye:

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:24 am

SCA, Dave? :confused:

Dave at Sea

Post by Dave at Sea » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:26 am

Sam the Centipede wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:24 am
SCA, Dave? :confused:
Society for Creative Anachronism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society_f ... nachronism

Not quite as dangerous as football :)

Dave - aka "Boris the Volga Bulgar" - of the Principility of Lochac

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:36 am

Ah, thanks. An alternative interpretation of a "well-organized militia"! :lol:

Dave at Sea

Post by Dave at Sea » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:53 am

Sam the Centipede wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:36 am
Ah, thanks. An alternative interpretation of a "well-organized militia"! :lol:
:)

Back in the 80's it was suggested that we might be on ASIO's watch list - being organised armed, armoured, militant royalists.. ;)

Cos play: fighting, feasting and fun.. It's been 15+ years since last I was part of it.. ahhh the glory days of youth :geezertowel:

Grumpy Old Guy

Post by Grumpy Old Guy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:49 pm

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:05 pm

I heard narcotics officers were attempting to serve a warrant. 6 officers injured, non-life threatening injuries. Shooter(s) still on the loose.

To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:22 pm

Here is a live broadcast..2 police officers are hostage at this point.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Dave at Sea

Post by Dave at Sea » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:52 pm

I'm surprised that this anymore makes the news in the US.. it's just business as usual.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:07 am

WaPo
Suspect surrenders after shooting six police officers in hours-long Philadelphia standoff

PHILADELPHIA — Just after midnight, a suspect surrendered after shooting six police officers in a north Philadelphia neighborhood on Wednesday evening, igniting a standoff that dragged on for hours in what authorities called a hostage situation.

The suspect is Maurice Hill, a 36-year-old Philadelphia resident with a history of gun convictions, his former lawyer, Shaka Johnson, told The Washington Post. Philadelphia Police Sgt. Eric Gripp confirmed on Twitter early Thursday that the suspect is in custody. ...

Gunfire first broke out around 4:30 p.m., said Ross, after officers attempted to serve a narcotics warrant “that went awry almost immediately.” Once they were inside the home, a barrage of bullets forced officers to return fire and retreat through windows and doors.

More than three hours after the first shots rang out, police were still locked in a dangerous standoff with at least one gunman barricaded inside the home, trading shots with officers outside. Residents, forced to dive behind cars and hide in their homes, described the scene like a war zone: Bullets flew through the streets and wafts of gunpowder filled the air.

Dave at Sea

Post by Dave at Sea » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:05 am

Anyone here about this one..

https://www.thetrace.org/2019/08/browns ... -shooting/

When 12 People Are Shot in Your Neighborhood, and America Shrugs
National newspapers and cable news channels had little interest in last weekend’s mass shooting in Brownsville, Brooklyn, where residents didn't receive many thoughts or prayers from the public.

Dave at Sea

Post by Dave at Sea » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:08 am

In the US 27 mass shootings in the last 3 weeks.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:14 am

:idea:
neonzx wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:05 pm
I heard narcotics officers were attempting to serve a warrant. 6 officers injured, non-life threatening injuries. Shooter(s) still on the loose.

Why not wait until he walked out of his house to nab him?

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:31 pm

Patagoniagirl wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:14 am
:idea:
neonzx wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:05 pm

Why not wait until he walked out of his house to nab him?
Depends on a lot of different factors, like foot traffic on the street and who else might be in the house with him. It's usually better to try an apprehension in an enclosed space if possible.

PaulG

Post by PaulG » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:09 pm

This one is pretty small potatoes especially these days but it happened a couple of blocks from my house.
Washington Post
WHEELING, Ill. — A 43-year-old suburban Chicago man has been charged with attempted murder for shooting and wounding an Illinois State Trooper who serving a warrant at the man’s home.

Authorities say Volodymyr Dragan of Wheeling shot the 32-year-old trooper about 6:30 p.m. Thursday.

The trooper was among a group of officers serving a warrant for aggravated assault on a police officer and other allegations stemming from a state police traffic stop on Interstate 294 early Thursday. The trooper’s injuries were not life-threatening.
Apparently the traffic stop was at 1:30 in the AM and went badly. At 6:30 in the PM various police showed up to arrest him. I'm more amazed with the guys in camo. They got SWAT in and truck with a battering ram and basically opened up the front of the house.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... mrc&uact=8

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:16 pm

PaulG wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:09 pm
Apparently the traffic stop was at 1:30 in the AM and went badly. At 6:30 in the PM various police showed up to arrest him. I'm more amazed with the guys in camo. They got SWAT in and truck with a battering ram and basically opened up the front of the house.
Strange. Why didn't the state troopers arrest him at the traffic stop?

To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

PaulG

Post by PaulG » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:25 pm

neonzx wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:16 pm
Strange. Why didn't the state troopers arrest him at the traffic stop?
I'm pretty curious myself. What exactly happened?

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:16 am

Shootings prevented.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/national/ ... d1d5a.html
At least 26 people have been arrested after threats to commit mass attacks since Dayton

The teen, who CNN is not naming because he is a minor, used a fake name when he wrote, "I Dalton Barnhart vow to bring my father's m15 to school and kill 7 people at a minimum," police say. The sheriff's department said that it received a call from a member of the FBI Joint Terrorism Task Force that someone had sent in a tip about the teen's comments.
https://www.msn.com/hu-hu/hirek/newsus/ ... ar-AAG7an5
The raft of cases follows a directive by the FBI director immediately after the two early August massacres for agency offices nationwide to conduct a new threat assessment in an effort to thwart more mass attacks.

The FBI was concerned that US-based domestic violent extremists could become inspired by the attacks to "engage in similar acts of violence," the agency said in a statement.

A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: On July 28, 1919, Arkansas became the 12th state to adopt the 19th Amendment.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:08 am

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:23 am

That’s impressive on a hotel cook’s pay.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:34 am

This is from last week, but for completeness (Pease Park is not far from The University of Texas and West Campus, where thousands of students live):

Heavily armed man arrested in Pease Park

Published: 2:22 PM CDT August 15, 2019
Updated: 10:27 PM CDT August 15, 2019
AUSTIN, Texas — A 23-year-old man was arrested Wednesday afternoon after police said he brought several weapons to Austin's Pease Park.

Shortly after 1:30 p.m., someone called 911, advising that a man was carrying an assault rifle and a large knife in a backpack, according to an arrest affidavit. The caller told the dispatcher the man was walking toward a "party with lots of kids."

A second caller provided the dispatcher with the license plate number belonging to the car the man was seeing driving, police said.

Based on that information, Austin police officers identified the man as 23-year-old Dalton Broesche.

They also determined Broesche had a warrant out for his arrest from Harris County, where he is accused of assaulting his girlfriend and threatening a resident with a knife because he was angry "he could not leave due to his brake lights not functioning," according to the Harris County Sheriff's Office.

When officers arrived at Pease Park, they found Broesche walking between the trail at the park and the roadway carrying what appeared to be "a large knife strapped to his belt or possibly in a back pocket," according to the affidavit. Officers then detained Broesche for the warrant and handcuffed him for safety.

While searching Broesche, police said they found a loaded 9mm handgun and an expandable metal baton. They also found a fully loaded magazine for the handgun, along with two knives, a flashlight and black gloves.

According to the arrest affidavit, officers then asked Broesche for the location of the rifle the 911 caller saw him carrying and he told officers "he threw it in the brush off the trail." Officers found the AR-15 semi-automatic rifle "laying on a footpath that goes from the main trail to the roadway," which was about 50 yards from where officers had detained Broesche. The rifle was loaded with a 30-round magazine and fitted with a bipod, scope and tac light, police said.
https://www.kvue.com/article/news/crime ... 3fe2dd8404

I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Return to “► ► Breaking News ◄ ◄”