Another Shooting

Volkonski

Re: Another Shooting

Post by Volkonski » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:25 am

Man arrested after walking into Missouri Walmart armed with a rifle and wearing body armor

https://abcnews.go.com/US/man-detained- ... d=64870120
A video taken by a witness outside the store shows the suspect with his arms up in the air and what looks like an assault rifle slung around his neck as he’s being arrested.

It’s unclear what the Andreychenko's motive was, but police told ABC Springfield affiliate KSPR that the man was recording himself with his cellphone while walking through the store.

:snippity:

"All we know is the fact that he walked in here heavily armed, with body armor on, and military fatigues on, and caused a great amount of panic inside the store," Springfield Police Department Lt. Mike Lucas said Thursday. "He certainly had the capability and potential to harm people."

In a Facebook post from February, on a page police believe belongs to Dmitriy Andreychenko, he allegedly wrote "It's official. I hate Walmart. Apparently they won't sell Rifle and shotgun ammo if your [sic] under 21. 'New policy' However I can walk into the store with a loaded .40 and nobody says anything. What a joke."

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:33 am

Open carry. It's legal almost everywhere. As long as you're not brandishing and threatening someone, it's a time honored tradition among the gun nuts. Now let it actually happen in good old conservative Missouri and look what happens. It goes to show what a fail our gun laws are. Even those who have conceal carry permits are told to keep their guns out of sight. In today's ever-mounting gun assaults I'd be afraid of anyone I see with a gun unless it's in the woods while hunting.

Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:36 am

I still can't believe open carry is allowed. Why in the name of Cthulhu why?

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:30 am

To be clear, i don't want to be around anyone *carrying.* But here in concealed-carry Floriduh, I almost lean towards open carry because then I can walk out if I see some idiot with an assault rifle slung across his back at Starbucks. And seeing a handgun in a proper holster is preferable (to me) than wondering if my idiot neighbor simply dropped his gun into the side pocket of his cargo shorts (again).

Just down the street from us, at the local Target, some idiot woman dropped her purse on the floor at the checkout and the gun that was lollygagging around in there loose went off. Luckily, the bullet didn't strike anyone. Then there was the Florida man whose handgun was in his front pants pocket at the movie theater. When he rearranged his legs for comfort, the gun went off and shot him in the leg before lodging in the seat in front of him, which, (again luckily) was not occupied.

I'm not anti-gun, and, as I've explained to my gun-owning (democratic) friends, I just want to know that you're trained and can safely store, clean and handle your gun. One of my best friends back in KC just got her concealed carry permit and a hip holster that is out of site when she wears a loose fitting tunic top. She's in the estate sale business and sometimes works alone out of empty houses in shady neighborhoods, so I understand her wanting to protect herself. I understand having a gun in the house (safely stored) for protection. I understand people like to go to gun ranges* and hunt but I have no use for assault rifles in the hands of the general public.

*Actually, if you're going to own a gun, I think regular visits to the gun range should be encouraged. If you're going to own one, I'd rather you be good with it.

Also, BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR EVERYONE, NO LOOPHOLES, as if it needed to be said.

Rant over.

Gilda plots my demise. I fear it will be painful.
ImageImageImage x4

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:41 am

A car can be a deadly weapon. You have to pass a driving test and you have to have insurance. It seems asking the same of a gun owner shouldn’t be too much to ask.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:44 am

AndyinPA wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:41 am
A car can be a deadly weapon. You have to pass a driving test and you have to have insurance. It seems asking the same of a gun owner shouldn’t be too much to ask.
I do not consent!

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:06 am

pipistrelle wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:36 am
I always figured they'd be the first targets of someone looking to massacre all the folks within a store / school / church.

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:25 am

AndyinPA wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:41 am
:like:

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:01 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:25 am
Man arrested after walking into Missouri Walmart armed with a rifle and wearing body armor

https://abcnews.go.com/US/man-detained- ... d=64870120
A video taken by a witness outside the store shows the suspect with his arms up in the air and what looks like an assault rifle slung around his neck as he’s being arrested.

It’s unclear what the Andreychenko's motive was, but police told ABC Springfield affiliate KSPR that the man was recording himself with his cellphone while walking through the store.

"All we know is the fact that he walked in here heavily armed, with body armor on, and military fatigues on, and caused a great amount of panic inside the store," Springfield Police Department Lt. Mike Lucas said Thursday. "He certainly had the capability and potential to harm people."

In a Facebook post from February, on a page police believe belongs to Dmitriy Andreychenko, he allegedly wrote "It's official. I hate Walmart. Apparently they won't sell Rifle and shotgun ammo if your [sic] under 21. 'New policy' However I can walk into the store with a loaded .40 and nobody says anything. What a joke."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/armed-man-mi ... 52573.html
U.S.
Armed Man Who Sparked Panic In Missouri Walmart Was Conducting 'Social Experiment'

A man who caused panic when he entered a Springfield, Missouri, Walmart wearing a ballistic vest and armed with a loaded rifle said it was a social experiment intended to test his Second Amendment right, according to police.

Dmitriy Andreychenko, 20, was arrested at the store on Thursday and has been charged with making a terrorist threat in the second degree.

“I wanted to know if that Walmart honored the Second Amendment,” he said, according to a probable cause statement from the Springfield Police Department.

Andreychenko told authorities he brought the weapon and the armor to the store after mass shootings in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio, because he wanted to protect himself. He said he did not expect anyone to be startled when he walked in.
:snippity: :snippity: :snippity:

tek

Post by tek » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:25 pm

mentally_challenged.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

There's no way back
from there to here

Dave at Sea

Post by Dave at Sea » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:37 am

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-11/ ... d/11403048

Key points:

The suspect is thought to have praised Christchurch attacker online prior to the incident at a mosque on the outskirts of Oslo
A 75-year-old man reportedly overpowered the suspect, preventing deaths
Norway is the site of one of Europe's worst acts of right-wing terrorism in 2011, which killed 77 people

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:25 am

pipistrelle wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:36 am
Too many politicians seeking the vote of white males who feel emasculated. Open carry is their attempt to feel powerful and in charge again. They think the outward power symbol will fill the gaping hole in their soul. It won't.

As to Slim's rant about lack of responsible gun usage, there was a time when that was the NRA's main purpose. As they shifted more toward politics, they fell in love with the power it brought. Now they seek to protect their ranking and riches and have forsaken their purpose.

The lure of outward power can cause people to forsake the inward strength, leaving to fester and rot.

North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:12 pm

Yes. And, the NRA also is more interested in promoting the gun industry itself, encouraging it's members to buy more gunz, stock up on bumpstocks before they become illegal, stock up on AR-15's before Obama takes them away, stock up on high capacity magazines before another Democrat becomes president. It's not the best interest of individual citizens to instill fear into them, it clearly benefits the gun manufacturers, whose sales soar with every new ranting by the NRA.

Obama's presidency did more for the gun industry than any super salesman could have, just by his being black and a member of the Democratic party. All because the NRA is more concerned with political power and promoting gun sales than 2nd Amendment rights of individual Americans. They don't even pretend to teach gun safety and responsible gun ownership anymore.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:04 pm

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:47 pm

Two weeks after the Gilroy Garlic Festival shooting, San Jose's mayor has proposed a first-in-the-nation legislative idea where the city would require all firearm owners to carry liability insurance for their weapons.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:49 pm

:like:

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:30 pm

Kendra wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:47 pm
https://mobile.twitter.com/kylegriffin1 ... 1425628160
Two weeks after the Gilroy Garlic Festival shooting, San Jose's mayor has proposed a first-in-the-nation legislative idea where the city would require all firearm owners to carry liability insurance for their weapons.
Is any insurance company going to write liability insurance that covers intentional acts of violence?

If it only covers accidental acts, then what good is it?

"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:02 pm

What I'd like to see is companies making gun ownership and history of domestic violence or threats factors to consider with prospective new hires.

Thanks to data mining (including social media and the NRA selling its membership lists), any company can find out if a prospective employee is a gun enthusiast or possible gun nut by getting information on how many guns he owns, and what type of guns, whether he's a member of any gun organization or militia, whether he subscribes to gun or survivalist magazines, etc. They can also check for a criminal history and see if there's any signs of violence there.

Let the companies develop their own disqualifying criteria to make their workplaces safer. If the guy owns more than x number of guns, belongs to certain flagged organizations, has a history of aggressive behavior including domestic violence or online threats - DON'T HIRE HIM.

I've heard this bull before.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:03 pm

Dan1100 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:30 pm
Kendra wrote:
Is any insurance company going to write liability insurance that covers intentional acts of violence?

I'd like to see owning guns like owning/driving cars. We all had driver's ed, or whatever it's called now. Before getting a driver's license there's a written test and a spin to see how you do. Get a license, but we still need some insurance, or we can get tickets and maybe lose the license. You don't have a license and insurance, no go buying a car.

Yeah, I doubt any insurers would insure, but it's a start and maybe slow them down.

Dave at Sea

Post by Dave at Sea » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:07 pm

Dan1100 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:30 pm
Kendra wrote:

There is enough cost of "accidental" (negligent) damage done by firearms that should be borne by the gun owner (or insurer) - even if the gun was in someone elses hands (eg children) - just like vehicle insurance (third party).

The cost of insurance may also result in a financial incentive to be a lower risk for the insurer by safe storage (gun safe etc), doing gun safety courses (accreditation etc), type of weapon insured etc.

Gun dealers would need insurance for their stock - see above risks.

High risk firearms may not be as affordable if when you go to buy them you need to show that you have insured them.

Mandatory insurance means an electronic record of gun owners and risk that will be shared (at least between insurance companies) that law enforcement will be able to tap into - thus circumventing the merchants of death puppets in congress ban on such government electronic databases.

etc

Dave at Sea

Post by Dave at Sea » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:47 pm

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-13/ ... s/11407672

Key points:
•Police allege Philip Manshaus entered the mosque armed with several guns but he was overpowered by a 65-year-old man
•Footage from a helmet camera the suspect was wearing during the shooting will be used as a key piece of evidence
•Mr Manshaus has also been charged with the murder of his 17-year-old step-sister

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:01 pm

California Insurance Code §533: An insurer is not liable for a loss caused by the wilful act of the insured; but he is not exonerated by the negligence of the insured, or of the insured’s agents or others.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:05 pm

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:41 pm

Kendra wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:03 pm
I'd like to see owning guns like owning/driving cars. We all had driver's ed, or whatever it's called now. Before getting a driver's license there's a written test and a spin to see how you do. Get a license, but we still need some insurance, or we can get tickets and maybe lose the license. You don't have a license and insurance, no go buying a car.
How many folks are like me? I own a gun. I didn't buy it though. My husband did. When he died, it became mine. Actually, I own a number of guns, I guess. There are some basic hunting guns downstairs, something any kid growing up in rural Iowa would own. And there's a handgun safely tucked away that I would never shoot. My husband did go target shooting with it. Sigh. I guess all will end up going to relatives, but I really need to think about who should end up with the handgun.

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

poplove

Post by poplove » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:56 am

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:41 pm
Kendra wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:03 pm
How many folks are like me? I own a gun. I didn't buy it though. My husband did. When he died, it became mine. Actually, I own a number of guns, I guess. There are some basic hunting guns downstairs, something any kid growing up in rural Iowa would own. And there's a handgun safely tucked away that I would never shoot. My husband did go target shooting with it. Sigh. I guess all will end up going to relatives, but I really need to think about who should end up with the handgun.
I have my father's handgun from his WWII service. I think it's a Colt.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Return to “► ► Breaking News ◄ ◄”