Another Shooting

Dave at Sea

Re: Another Shooting

Post by Dave at Sea » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:51 am

Lani wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:30 am
You can visit us!

The Aloha State holds the lowest rate of gun violence in the nation
Hawaii also has some of the strictest gun laws.

https://www.kitv.com/story/40879968/the ... the-nation
Oh so tempting!

I hear you also have the smartest and friendliest people. ;)

We may have to wait till the $AU rises again - perhaps after 2020. :)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:55 am

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:52 am

Thread.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:59 am

That tweet by trump really burns my ass. I'm reminded of a scene from Psych where the main character (an immature man-child with highly developed sense of perception) is undercover and wearing a wire. As the heist is laid out, the detective overseeing the sting keeps telling him, "don't speak, don't speak, please don't speak, don't speak......" Of course, he speaks.

I picture this scene whenever I see one of these tweets and imagine his staff members collectively beating their heads on their desks. Sadly, without Cary Elwes and James Roday, it loses something.

Gilda plots my demise. I fear it will be painful.
ImageImageImage x4

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:02 am

Volkonski wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:13 am
The nation remains on edge.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ba ... d_nn_tw_ma
At least three incidents in the United States on Tuesday — a shooting scare at a Louisiana Walmart, backfiring engines in New York’s Times Square, and a falling sign at a Utah mall — sent people running for safety just days after two mass shootings left more than 30 people dead in Texas and Ohio.
AAAAnd another thing, if I may. I posted a quick blurb on Facebook about yesterday's shooting at (the Baton Rouge) Walmart, but neglected to mention the city. I once lived in Belton, Missouri, a suburb of Kansas City, and suddenly all my old school chums were messaging me about...the shooting yesterday at the Belton Walmart. It didn't even make the damn news down here.

ImageImageImage x4

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:43 am

Volkonski wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:52 am
Thread.

And another another thing - My first husband was part Native American (yes, he was). My oldest son looks Latino and he married a first generation Mexican American woman. DiL speaks Spanish only when conversing with her parents. She doesn't even have an accent. But a mutual friend recently confided to me, after making me swear to keep my mouth shut, that the reason they are looking to move is because of the hatred they both encounter in public these days. Son is pretty laid back, like his dad, but DiL has a fiery temper, and that worries son. That's not meant as a stereotypical insult. It's one of the things I love about her (she reminds me of myself). Mutual friend, also of Hispanic heritage, actually worded it as "typical fiery Latina." *

But where the hell can they go that would be better? They currently live in Mesa, which has a huge Hispanic population. Apparently safety in numbers doesn't count any more. I had hoped to lure them to SWFL, but my new next door neighbor is a NJ Nazi.

*If this description is seen as an insult to the Hispanic community, please let me know and I'll reword the story. I meant nothing untoward and I'm always willing to listen to constructive criticism. If somebody tells me this or that is offensive to them, I'm willing to take them at their word. Well, unless they're a MAGAt.

ImageImageImage x4

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:56 am

Safety in numbers: doesn't that also mean that an attractive target for the haters with their assault rifles?

I read something about increased mobility of the US population a year or two ago. One might expect that more people moving around would lead to homogeneity, with people of different backgrounds coming together. But the research suggested that the increased mobility was the opposite: people moving to be with other people from their own social grouping, however defined (racial, economic or political). That doesn't seem healthy to me.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:05 am

California has not caught the Trump fever. We welcome and cherish our Latinx neighbors.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:33 am

"A fiery Latina" is not racist. "All Latinas have a fiery temper" is.

No te preocupes.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:50 am

RoadScholar wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:33 am
"A fiery Latina" is not racist. "All Latinas have a fiery temper" is.

No te preocupes.
Gracias.

ImageImageImage x4

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:08 pm

https://mobile.twitter.com/atrupar

The Trump baby blimp greeted Trump in Dayton

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:28 pm

DC66D5B3-AA72-4D92-BD09-F5E996FFB345.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:05 pm

Kendra wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:08 pm
https://mobile.twitter.com/atrupar

The Trump baby blimp greeted Trump in Dayton
This made my day. Thanks!
baby trump.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ImageImageImage x4

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:37 pm

I hope there's one in El Paso too. :daydream:

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:39 pm

I wrestled with the right thing to do when Trump visits Dayton today. I decided I have a responsibility to look him in the eye and urge him to do the right thing.

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:29 pm

To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:42 pm

He's not going to Toledo?

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:48 am

Trump's caddy-turned-spokesman, Dan Scavino, tweeted yesterday that Trump was a "ROCK STAR" in those hospital visits. I've suspected that was bullshit, certainly in El Paso. Now there's reporting (the truth):
None of the eight patients still being treated at University Medical Center in El Paso agreed to meet with Trump when he visited the hospital, UMC spokesman Ryan Mielke said. Two victims who already had been discharged returned to the hospital with family members to meet with the president.

“This is a very sensitive time in their lives,” Mielke said. “Some of them said they didn’t want to meet with the president. Some of them didn’t want any visitors.”

Before Trump’s visit Wednesday, however, some of the hospitalized victims accepted visits from a number of city and county elected officials, as well as Reps. Veronica Escobar (D-Tex.) and Jesús “Chuy” García (D-Ill.).
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html

I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:55 am

I’m having computer problems, so I’m on my iPad and can’t link, but I read this morning that none of the patients in the hospital would meet with him. They all refused.

That makes that photo with some of the staff laughing and smiling with him all that much more disgusting.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:20 am

I saw some rumors that the nurses were paid actors. I'd lean towards false, but with this guy, I wouldn't be surprised if it turned iut to be true.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:14 pm

One of the people who was killed in Dayton on Sunday was from the Pittsburgh area. His funeral is tomorrow.

I just read the other day that the Pittsburgh area synagogues now have metal detectors.

tek

Post by tek » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:20 pm

AndyinPA wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:14 pm
I just read the other day that the Pittsburgh area synagogues now have metal detectors.
If so, "they have won"

Sad day.

There's no way back
from there to here

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:39 pm

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/08/politics ... index.html

The overwhelming majority of patients at two El Paso hospitals who the White House had reached out to in preparation for President Donald Trump's Wednesday visit said that they did not want to spend any time with the President, an individual who had been briefed on the matter tells CNN.

The source confirmed the Washington Post report that not one of the eight patients still being treated at University Medical Center wanted to meet with the President, so administrators brought back two patients who had already been discharged who expressed a willingness to meet with the President.

Almost all of the patients at the second hospital, Del Sol Medical Center, declined to meet with Trump, the source tells CNN. The White House did not ultimately set up a visit to Del Sol, which is currently treating six patients from the shooting.

"We don't want to speak on our patients' behalf when families were grieving and patients were actively being cared for. We aren't going to provide any additional information," a spokesman for Del Sol Medical Center told CNN.

White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham said in a statement that Trump and the first lady were "received very warmly by not just victims and their families, but by the many members of medical staff who lined the hallways to meet them."

"It was a moving visit for all involved," Grisham added.

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:32 pm

Kendra wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:39 pm
https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/08/politics ... index.html

The overwhelming majority of patients at two El Paso hospitals who the White House had reached out to in preparation for President Donald Trump's Wednesday visit said that they did not want to spend any time with the President, an individual who had been briefed on the matter tells CNN.

The source confirmed the Washington Post report that not one of the eight patients still being treated at University Medical Center wanted to meet with the President, so administrators brought back two patients who had already been discharged who expressed a willingness to meet with the President.

Almost all of the patients at the second hospital, Del Sol Medical Center, declined to meet with Trump, the source tells CNN. The White House did not ultimately set up a visit to Del Sol, which is currently treating six patients from the shooting.

"We don't want to speak on our patients' behalf when families were grieving and patients were actively being cared for. We aren't going to provide any additional information," a spokesman for Del Sol Medical Center told CNN.

White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham said in a statement that Trump and the first lady were "received very warmly by not just victims and their families, but by the many members of medical staff who lined the hallways to meet them."

"It was a moving visit for all involved," Grisham added.
Sure. Bowels move. :shit: Just sayin'.

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:35 pm

:like:

Return to “► ► Breaking News ◄ ◄”