Another Shooting

Volkonski

Re: Another Shooting

Post by Volkonski » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:55 am

Texas grandma heroically foils grandson's mass shooting plot by bringing him to hospital

https://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-grandma ... itter_abcn
William Patrick Williams, 19, was taken into custody by federal agents in Lubbock, Texas, after he told his grandmother about a plot to "shoot up" a local hotel and then commit suicide by cop, according to the Department of Justice.

According to a criminal complaint, the plot came to light on July 13, just weeks before a pair of mass shootings claimed the lives of at least 31 people in one weekend, when Williams told his grandmother that he'd purchased an AK-47.

Sensing he could be both homicidal and suicidal, federal officials said the grandmother convinced Williams to go with her to a local hospital instead of carrying out the shooting, averting a potential tragedy.

"This was a tragedy averted," U.S. Attorney Nealy Cox said in a statement. "I want to praise the defendant’s grandmother, who saved lives by interrupting this plot, as well as the Lubbock police officers and federal agents who investigated his unlawful acquisition of a deadly weapon."
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:01 am

A hotel seems like a weird choice of location. Other than a desk clerk and maybe a random guest or two there aren't usually many people hanging around.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:05 am

Bill_G wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:15 am
I wish the president well on his trips to Toledo and Del Taco.
:like:

Thoughts and prayers.

?? I was dozing in and out of sleep while the morning cable news was on. Has any republican congressperson agreed to come on MSNBC or CNN yet?
Edit: Here's one:

JUST NOW: GOP Movement on high capacity magazines?

BERMAN: "The 100-round drum magazine that was used in Dayton. Why should there be legal protections for this? "

GOP Rep @RodneyDavis: "Well, I certainly don't know the answer to that."

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:09 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:01 am
A hotel seems like a weird choice of location. Other than a desk clerk and maybe a random guest or two there aren't usually many people hanging around.
If the hotel is large enough they will have patrons in the lobby and a filled restaurant during lunch and dinner. But then they also have security...

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:20 am

:-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:24 am

RTH10260 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:09 am
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:01 am
If the hotel is large enough they will have patrons in the lobby and a filled restaurant during lunch and dinner. But then they also have security...
Lubbock, TX is about the same size as my city is and our largest hotel downtown MIGHT have 30-35 people total in the lobby and restaurant at any given time, spread out over a pretty wide area of front desk, elevator area, valet desk, lobby and restaurant. It just seems like a very odd target to me.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:43 am

https://www.vox.com/2019/8/6/20756711/f ... ive-tweets
Rather than distance themselves from the immigrant “invasion” conspiracy theory that allegedly motivated a white supremacist shooter in El Paso to kill at least 22 people on Saturday, Tuesday’s edition of Fox & Friends indicated the hosts of President Donald Trump’s favorite show will continue to defend and reinforce it.

On Tuesday, host Brian Kilmeade — echoing the manifesto written by the El Paso shooter, who in turn drew inspiration from President Donald Trump — defended the use of the term “invasion” to describe migrants and asylum seekers crossing the southern border, saying, “if you use the term ‘invasion,’ it’s not anti-Hispanic, it’s a fact.”

:snippity:

Trump wasn’t alone in pushing false equivalencies. White House counselor Kellyanne Conway joined Fox & Friends on Tuesday and suggested Democrats like Sens. Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders are just as responsible as the president for the gun violence that erupted over the weekend, because the gunman who killed nine people in Dayton, Ohio, posted tweets indicating support for them.

The obvious difference, however, is that while parts of the El Paso shooter’s racist manifesto seem as though they were directly inspired by tweets Trump posted decrying the purported “attempted invasion of illegals,” Warren and Sanders haven’t said anything that could be construed as even a tacit endorsement of violence.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:45 am

Wow. On Fox News, @SenToomey says he's not in favor of additional regulations on military-style weapons because "they're extremely popular, and so to ban an extremely popular firearm -- I'm not gong to support that."

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:55 am

Wow, the NRA (or is it Putin) really has these bozos by the short and curlies. Depending on the makeup of his district, that will be a great campaign ad for one side or the other.

Oops, didn't realize it was a senator. My bad.
ImageImageImage x4

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:58 am

Another "pro-life" Harvard educated hypocrite.
I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:02 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:24 am
Lubbock, TX is about the same size as my city is and our largest hotel downtown MIGHT have 30-35 people total in the lobby and restaurant at any given time, spread out over a pretty wide area of front desk, elevator area, valet desk, lobby and restaurant. It just seems like a very odd target to me.
What about hotel conference/banquet spaces? If the perp went on a day when something was scheduled, they could have many targets in a confined area.
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:04 pm

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/08/06/amer ... ium=social

Two countries issued travel warnings to their citizens about the United States following two mass shootings that killed 31 people.

Both Venezuela and Uruguay warned their residents about violence and hate crimes in the United States Monday.

Uruguay's Office of Foreign Ministry issued an advisory Monday saying citizens should "take precaution amid the growing indiscriminatory violence, specifically hate crimes including racism and discrimination" when traveling to the United States.

The alert noted that other factors, such as the "indiscriminate possession of firearms by the population" and the "impossibility of authorities to prevent these situations," were among some of the reasons travelers need to be particularly wary of highly populated areas or events.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:57 pm

Kendra wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:05 am
BERMAN: "The 100-round drum magazine that was used in Dayton. Why should there be legal protections for this? "

GOP Rep @RodneyDavis: "Well, I certainly don't know the answer to that."
In other words: "Let me check with the NRA on that."
Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:04 pm

Damn. Dayton's mayor just rocks.

R: Your reaction to Trump coming?

DAYTON MAYOR WHALEY: He's POTUS & as he has an official capacity as POTUS - I have a capacity as mayor - I will greet him

R: What about protesters?

WHALEY: He's made this bed & he's gotta lie in it ... his rhetoric has been painful for many

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:12 pm

White House spox @hogangidley45 on Trump's speech in which he offered prayers to Toledo for a shooting that happened in Dayton: "The president came forth and was very deliberate about what he wanted to say to this country."

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:16 pm

Kendra wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:12 pm

White House spox @hogangidley45 on Trump's speech in which he offered prayers to Toledo for a shooting that happened in Dayton: "The president came forth and was very deliberate about what he wanted to say to this country.

But then they threatened to take away his 'executive time' so he agreed to read from the teleprompter"
Fixed it for them.
ImageImageImage x4

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:57 pm

Kendra wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:04 pm
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/08/06/amer ... ium=social

Two countries issued travel warnings to their citizens about the United States following two mass shootings that killed 31 people.

Both Venezuela and Uruguay warned their residents about violence and hate crimes in the United States Monday.

Uruguay's Office of Foreign Ministry issued an advisory Monday saying citizens should "take precaution amid the growing indiscriminatory violence, specifically hate crimes including racism and discrimination" when traveling to the United States.

The alert noted that other factors, such as the "indiscriminate possession of firearms by the population" and the "impossibility of authorities to prevent these situations," were among some of the reasons travelers need to be particularly wary of highly populated areas or events.
This is genius and probably the only thing that might start getting some attention. Of course, the OSG will get his revenge on these countries, no doubt.

When most of the rest of the world starts considering the US to be too dangerous for their citizens to travel, issuing travel advisories and such, how might that start affecting business such as tourism?
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:29 pm

RVInit wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:57 pm
When most of the rest of the world starts considering the US to be too dangerous for their citizens to travel, issuing travel advisories and such, how might that start affecting business such as tourism?
It's affecting me and the rest of the airbnb hosts who make ends meet with sweet, modest, inexpensive rentals to help pay the bills. Business was down last year, but this year it has plummeted. I depend a lot on European budget travelers in the off season. Two years ago I had 62 nights occupancy in June and July (two units). Last year, lucky to get 54. This year, 21.I'm feeling it. And I'm not alone.

Simple fact: international travels don't want to get shot in the head.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:46 pm

p0rtia wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:29 pm
RVInit wrote:
It's affecting me and the rest of the airbnb hosts who make ends meet with sweet, modest, inexpensive rentals to help pay the bills. Business was down last year, but this year it has plummeted. I depend a lot on European budget travelers in the off season. Two years ago I had 62 nights occupancy in June and July (two units). Last year, lucky to get 54. This year, 21.I'm feeling it. And I'm not alone.

Wow. I am so sorry...I sure as heck don't want to see people suffer, especially people that didn't vote for the prick that currently sits in the Oval Office. He has brought out, encouraged, and elevated the worst of the worst in our country and it will take years to recover from the damage. I feel for you, that must be depressing as well as financially devastating.
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:53 pm

Thanks, RV. I'll cope. I'm just not used to seeing red ink at the end of the month. But if you know anybody who wants a getaway in August... two bedrooms, fully furnished, lovely yard for 49 bucks a night (!), let me know. :pickle:

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:03 pm

It's wonderful. I've seen both.
ImageImageImage x4

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:55 pm

p0rtia wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:53 pm
Thanks, RV. I'll cope. I'm just not used to seeing red ink at the end of the month. But if you know anybody who wants a getaway in August... two bedrooms, fully furnished, lovely yard for 49 bucks a night (!), let me know. :pickle:
I will keep this in mind! I remember the photos of the inside, too, and that is a great bargain for exceptionally nice accommodations, for sure. Apologies for the short hijack! :)
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Dave at Sea

Post by Dave at Sea » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:51 am

p0rtia wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:29 pm
RVInit wrote:

I'm sorry, my wife and I are international travellers that will not visit the US until it is no longer a war zone. :brokenheart:

Lani

Post by Lani » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:30 am

You can visit us!

The Aloha State holds the lowest rate of gun violence in the nation
Hawaii also has some of the strictest gun laws.

https://www.kitv.com/story/40879968/the ... the-nation
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:13 am

The nation remains on edge.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ba ... d_nn_tw_ma
At least three incidents in the United States on Tuesday — a shooting scare at a Louisiana Walmart, backfiring engines in New York’s Times Square, and a falling sign at a Utah mall — sent people running for safety just days after two mass shootings left more than 30 people dead in Texas and Ohio.

In the scare at the Louisiana Walmart, the sheriff’s office said in a statement to NBC affiliate WVLA of Baton Rouge that no shooting is believed to have occurred, and that one person was injured while fleeing the scene in Tuesday’s incident.

In an earlier statement, the East Baton Rouge Sheriff’s Office said that there was an initial report that there were two men shooting, but it appeared there was an altercation between two men where a handgun may have been seen.

In Times Square Tuesday night, video captured people running for safety from the tourist attraction, but the NYPD’s Midtown North district tweeted that the sounds was from motorcycles.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Return to “► ► Breaking News ◄ ◄”