Live Coverage - Protests In Multiple Cities Over George Floyd's Death -- Moving Toward The White House 5/29 Onward

Kendra

Re: Live Coverage - Protests In Multiple Cities Over George Floyd's Death -- Moving Toward The White House 5/29 Onward

Post by Kendra »

Can’t go to church.
Can’t go to work.
Can’t go to school.

Even Dr. Fauci says protesting is dangerous.

But Democrats encourage people to riot and protest in the streets.

AndyinPA

Re: Live Coverage - Protests In Multiple Cities Over George Floyd's Death -- Moving Toward The White House 5/29 Onward

Post by AndyinPA »

I saw that this morning. That's not exactly what was said, although Gym tried to make it sound that way.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I couldn't watch every second of it (you know, work), but I thought Fauci held his own quite well.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

igorvolsky
@igorvolsky
·
28m
A friendly reminder that Jim Jordan encouraged people to riot and protest in the streets when that protesting fit his political agenda (lifting quarantine restrictions).
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Jordan wears used jock straps for face masks.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Kendra wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:59 pm
I couldn't watch every second of it (you know, work), but I thought Fauci held his own quite well.
Watch the last minute for Fauci’s eloquent hand gesture. :rotflmao:
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Whatever4 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:03 am
Kendra wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:59 pm
Watch the last minute for Fauci’s eloquent hand gesture. :rotflmao:
And Fauci's chuckle/smile at the end. He definitely gave him the You're-a-dumbass-I'm-disregarding-you wave.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

What are the odds Gymbo knows that infection rates didn't go up significantly as a result of the protests riots? And if they had, so should they have after the gatherings of gun-toting yahoos patriots?

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Peace continues to pummel downtown Portland for a second night in a row. The weight of this endless civility will be born by our children and our children's children.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

Bill_G wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:24 am
Peace continues to pummel downtown Portland for a second night in a row. The weight of this endless civility will be born by our children and our children's children.
Civility means we're letting the anarchists win, clearly.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Post by Slim Cognito »

Bill_G wrote:
May I steal this quote? Anonymously, of course. I'd credit it to a friend from Portland.
ImageImageImage x4

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

Yes, they went home.

Oh wait, that was the fascists... I keep getting them confused.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Bill_G wrote:
But the big question is: Is the courthouse safe from graffiti?

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Slim Cognito wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:59 am
Bill_G wrote:
May I steal this quote? Anonymously, of course. I'd credit it to a friend from Portland.
Granted, but use with care. Peace is volatile and dangerous.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

pipistrelle wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:00 am
Bill_G wrote:
But the big question is: Is the courthouse safe from graffiti?
That's a good question. Perhaps the peaceful assembly of people should come armed with Goof-Off and several rolls of towels today.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

fierceredpanda wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:50 am
Bill_G wrote:
Civility means we're letting the anarchists win, clearly.
Clearly. They may be laying in wait for their next opportunity to strike fear into the heart of our community by not showing up again and again. It's a psy-ops.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

Bill_G wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:13 am
Clearly. They may be laying in wait for their next opportunity to strike fear into the heart of our community by not showing up again and again. It's a psy-ops.
All kidding aside, to hear Bill Barr and House Republicans describe antifa at the hearing this week, you would think that's actually the case. To hear right-wingers talk, you would think the radical violent anarchist left is some sort of omnipotent, sophisticated group operating under central control of lizard people Barack Obama George Soros totally not the Jews. All I can think is, "Bro, have you ever actually been to a meeting of authentically left-wing people?" The average attempt to organize a meeting about anything on the far left breaks down into the People's Front of Judea scene from Monty Python and the Life of Brian in approximately 15 seconds. Yet reactionaries envision them as at once being hyper-competent and capable of destroying literally everything, but also stupid and not worth even debating when it suits them. Same with the idiots who think COVID is some vast Democratic conspiracy to take down Trump. "Democrats can't even govern cities effectively, but they can totally plot to release a deadly disease on the world at exactly the right time to cause maximum harm to Donald Trump's political prospects" is apparently a coherent argument to these people.

By sheer happenstance, I'm sure, the exact same dichotomy that comes up in really hardcore antisemitism. People who take The Protocols of the Elders of Zion seriously are committed to the notion that the global Jewish cabal is at once cunning enough to put together a (at least partially-successful) plan to take control of the entire world, and yet stupid enough to write the whole thing down so anybody could find it.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

fierceredpanda wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:39 am
Bill_G wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:13 am
All kidding aside, to hear Bill Barr and House Republicans describe antifa at the hearing this week, you would think that's actually the case. To hear right-wingers talk, you would think the radical violent anarchist left is some sort of omnipotent, sophisticated group operating under central control of lizard people Barack Obama George Soros totally not the Jews. All I can think is, "Bro, have you ever actually been to a meeting of authentically left-wing people?" The average attempt to organize a meeting about anything on the far left breaks down into the People's Front of Judea scene from Monty Python and the Life of Brian in approximately 15 seconds. Yet reactionaries envision them as at once being hyper-competent and capable of destroying literally everything, but also stupid and not worth even debating when it suits them. Same with the idiots who think COVID is some vast Democratic conspiracy to take down Trump. "Democrats can't even govern cities effectively, but they can totally plot to release a deadly disease on the world at exactly the right time to cause maximum harm to Donald Trump's political prospects" is apparently a coherent argument to these people.

By sheer happenstance, I'm sure, the exact same dichotomy that comes up in really hardcore antisemitism. People who take The Protocols of the Elders of Zion seriously are committed to the notion that the global Jewish cabal is at once cunning enough to put together a (at least partially-successful) plan to take control of the entire world, and yet stupid enough to write the whole thing down so anybody could find it.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

:like:

I love that guy. He applies the Socratic method with a drawl so well.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Pretty much sums up what the police are doing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Bill_G wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:33 am

And slightly spicier language.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

For the third night in a row, peace roiled throughout downtown Portland.

It was a Goldilocks fair weather Saturday with more people out and about. There was a smallish peaceful "BLM Only" rally along the waterfront where the organizers tried to keep the focus on BLM and institutional racism, not Trump. It was attended by city council members, and one of our US Senators. Deeper into downtown the much larger peaceful daily rally began its 66th day. Neither rally attracted the tens of thousands that gathered just last weekend.

Outside of downtown, in a solidly middle class neighborhood park, a small but more raucous group gathered in the early evening. They eventually marched on a local police precinct. Eye witnesses say the group was loud, but not violent. The police say they "attacked" with water bottles and laser beams and responded disproportionately with flash bangs, tear gas, and riot squads contrary to the TRO that applies directly to the police. The group broke up quickly, reconvened at the park, and ultimately a couple dozen decided to head downtown in the late evening. At the US Courthouse, they were met by the much larger daily rally who shouted them down thwarting their attempts to incite chaos. The troopers on duty later expressed their gratitude to the rally for helping to keep the peace.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

pipistrelle wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:53 am
Bill_G wrote:

The man is a friggin genius. He's awesome.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Bill_G wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:05 am
pipistrelle wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:53 am
Bill_G wrote:

The man is a friggin genius. He's awesome.
He has an online concert August 7. We saw him live in Maine last year. Trae is awesome, his compatriots less so and more shorty.

-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Hubby and I plan to get tickets. Thanks for the heads up! I hope we can stay up that late.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

Return to “► ► Breaking News ◄ ◄”