2013: NJ Gov

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:28 pm

[link]The Hill,http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/oth ... z2HPS9KJzq[/link]

Poll finds Christie with huge lead over possible Dem challengers ...

A Fairleigh Dickinson University Public Mind Poll gives him double-digit leads over three tested Democrats, only one of whom has officially announced her intention to pursue the seat.

Christie leads Democrats' first official candidate, state Sen. Barbara Buono, with 64 percent support to her 21 percent support. He leads potential candidate state Sen. Richard Codey with 59 percent support to Codey's 26 percent; and takes 65 percent support to state Sen. Steve Sweeney's 19 percent support.

And even among Democratic respondents, none of the three potential contenders manage to take 50 percent support.

That's partly because Christie remains well-liked in New Jersey, with 73 percent of registered voters saying they approve of the job he's doing as governor — his second-highest approval rating to date. ...

County Democratic chairmen expressed frustration over the lack of a credible challenger to New Jersey Democratic Party Chairman John Wisniewski during a conference call on Monday, according to the Star Ledger.
Democracy is a garden that has to be tended. -Barack Obama

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:50 pm

[link]Associated Press,http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2013/01 ... ml?hp&_r=0[/link]

Dems Agree on Candidate to Challenge NJ's Christie

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) — You might not have heard of New Jersey state Sen. Barbara Buono, though you've probably heard of the man she's itching to take on in the November election — Gov. Chris Christie.

Expect to hear more about her. Buono picked up key endorsements Tuesday and sewed up enough support statewide to become the Democrats' presumptive nominee for governor.

She's a 59-year-old Democrat from Metuchen (meh-TUCH'-ehn) on the edge of the New York metro area. Her party coalesced behind her after their first choices opted not to run.
Democracy is a garden that has to be tended. -Barack Obama

BFB

Post by BFB » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:53 pm

[link]Associated Press,http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2013/01 ... ml?hp&_r=0[/link]

Dems Agree on Candidate to Challenge NJ's Christie

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) — You might not have heard of New Jersey state Sen. Barbara Buono, though you've probably heard of the man she's itching to take on in the November election — Gov. Chris Christie.

Expect to hear more about her. Buono picked up key endorsements Tuesday and sewed up enough support statewide to become the Democrats' presumptive nominee for governor.

She's a 59-year-old Democrat from Metuchen (meh-TUCH'-ehn) on the edge of the New York metro area. Her party coalesced behind her after their first choices opted not to run.Buono's decent enough. She comes out of the Middlesex County Democratic machine that was once run by disgraced former Sen. John Lynch. She has to hope the glow of Sandy dims around Christie by the time people start paying attention to the gubernatorial race. Christie recently vetoed a bill to raise the minimum wage, so that should be something.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:59 pm

Even though election day may still be approximately 7 months away, these numbers look good enough to scare away a few challengers to Gov Christie.Republican Gov. Chris Christie is still enjoying a high job approval rating from his New Jersey constituents, but the number has dipped slightly in recent months, a new poll shows.Overall, the New Jersey governor has racked up a 68 percent job rating, according to the Rutgers-Eagleton Poll on Wednesday - but that is six percentage points less than his rating in a February.Much of Christie’s rating success goes hand in hand with his post-Sandy recovery efforts, of which 87 percent of New Jersey voters approve. What does drag him down, however, is his handling of the economy and jobs (only 42 percent approve) and his tax policy (a mere 37 percent approval). Fifty percent of voters approve on his education, budget and crime efforts.[/break1]politico.com/story/2013/04/chris-christie-approval-poll-89848.html?hp=r6]http://www.politico.com/story/2013/04/c ... html?hp=r6

No Pilikia

Post by No Pilikia » Thu May 09, 2013 1:05 pm

Politics aside, I've been interested in reading about Christie's decision to have lap-band surgery. I doubt this will make him President but I wish him well because I struggled with obesity for decades & I've lost 120# now after having gastric bypass surgery. It will add years to my life & improve my quality of life. I had the Roux-en-Y, considered the "gold standard" for this problem. I have to be honest & say that I consider the lap-band a "half ass" solution. It was what I wanted to do at first but after learning about its higher failure rate I went with the gold standard. At an appointment with my surgeon last month I asked about the lap band: "We're taking out more than we put in." With the Roux-en-Y you have to make a total commitment to lifestyle change because your anatomy is so altered. I will NEVER eat cake & ice cream again & I don't really miss it because I just don't feel hunger like I did before. With the lap-band, I think some folks believe, because it's reversible, they will be able to cheat later & go back to some of their old ways. It's not just a matter of making the stomach smaller. That helps because all of us feel really full so quickly. But it is also a matter of creating malabsorption. With the Roux-en-Y, food no longer passes over mucosal surfaces that are the most efficient at absorbing nutrients. The stomach is smaller but the small intestine is also rearranged to create malabsorption. There are also changes in the production of appetite-related hormones, ghrelin being a main one, which happen because 90% of the stomach sits dormant in the abdomen. I'd find it tough to be in the public eye after this surgery. There are times when I just suddenly have to throw up & I still always carry a "barf bag" in my purse. I have to eat 5 or 6 times a day, or I feel weak & shaky. Always something small but still, if I don't do it, I don't function well. Like I said, I wish him well. At least he is a Republican who might have a little common sense. He needs to address his obesity for himself & his family. Not because of politics.
"The opportunity that Hawaii offered -- to experience a variety of cultures in a climate of mutual respect -- became an integral part of my world view and a basis for the values I hold most dear." Barack Obama, 1999

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 » Thu May 09, 2013 1:08 pm

Politics aside, I've been interested in reading about Christie's decision to have lap-band surgery. I doubt this will make him President but I wish him well because I struggled with obesity for decades & I've lost 120# now after having gastric bypass surgery. It will add years to my life & improve my quality of life. I had the Roux-en-Y, considered the "gold standard" for this problem. I have to be honest & say that I consider the lap-band a "half ass" solution. It was what I wanted to do at first but after learning about its higher failure rate I went with the gold standard. At an appointment with my surgeon last month I asked about the lap band: "We're taking out more than we put in." With the Roux-en-Y you have to make a total commitment to lifestyle change because your anatomy is so altered. I will NEVER eat cake & ice cream again & I don't really miss it because I just don't feel hunger like I did before. With the lap-band, I think some folks believe, because it's reversible, they will be able to cheat later & go back to some of their old ways. It's not just a matter of making the stomach smaller. That helps because all of us feel really full so quickly. But it is also a matter of creating malabsorption. With the Roux-en-Y, food no longer passes over mucosal surfaces that are the most efficient at absorbing nutrients. The stomach is smaller but the small intestine is also rearranged to create malabsorption. There are also changes in the production of appetite-related hormones, ghrelin being a main one, which happen because 90% of the stomach sits dormant in the abdomen. I'd find it tough to be in the public eye after this surgery. There are times when I just suddenly have to throw up & I still always carry a "barf bag" in my purse. I have to eat 5 or 6 times a day, or I feel weak & shaky. Always something small but still, if I don't do it, I don't function well. Like I said, I wish him well. At least he is a Republican who might have a little common sense. He needs to address his obesity for himself & his family. Not because of politics.That's pretty much why he said he did it (in the Philly Inquirer). He said he looked at his wife and kids and he wanted to be around for them.

xKat

Post by xKat » Thu May 09, 2013 6:40 pm

If Christie had ignored Obama, or worse, gone to Ohio to stump for Romney, during Sandy, his name would be mud in New Jersey, and he knew it.After his Disney World trip during a big snow storm in NJ (which I thought was a bit overblown) he wasn't going to miss this opportunity to be present and visible in the state during an emergency.
If we amplify everything,
we hear nothing.

Jon Stewart
10/30/2010

A Legal Lohengrin

Post by A Legal Lohengrin » Fri May 10, 2013 1:30 pm

After his Disney World trip during a big snow storm in NJ (which I thought was a bit overblown) he wasn't going to miss this opportunity to be present and visible in the state during an emergency.I went over a snowbank in that storm headfirst and broke my shoulder. Thanks to that fat bastard! If he'd been in Trenton where he belonged, maybe that wouldn't have happened.

BFB

Post by BFB » Fri May 10, 2013 1:35 pm

After his Disney World trip during a big snow storm in NJ (which I thought was a bit overblown) he wasn't going to miss this opportunity to be present and visible in the state during an emergency.I went over a snowbank in that storm headfirst and broke my shoulder. Thanks to that fat bastard! If he'd been in Trenton where he belonged, maybe that wouldn't have happened.Only if you landed on him.

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 » Fri May 10, 2013 1:37 pm

If Christie had ignored Obama, or worse, gone to Ohio to stump for Romney, during Sandy, his name would be mud in New Jersey, and he knew it.After his Disney World trip during a big snow storm in NJ (which I thought was a bit overblown) he wasn't going to miss this opportunity to be present and visible in the state during an emergency.Yeah, I don't even like the guy, but give him a break. It's not like he caused the blizzard and what was he going to do that he couldn't do on the phone from FL? Was he supposed to be manning a snow plow?

A Legal Lohengrin

Post by A Legal Lohengrin » Fri May 10, 2013 1:47 pm

I went over a snowbank in that storm headfirst and broke my shoulder. Thanks to that fat bastard! If he'd been in Trenton where he belonged, maybe that wouldn't have happened.Only if you landed on him.It might have. Even though I was at Broad Street Station in Newark, it is conceivable I could have fallen into Trenton somehow.
Edit: Mine was a joke too.

BFB

Post by BFB » Fri May 10, 2013 1:49 pm

I went over a snowbank in that storm headfirst and broke my shoulder. Thanks to that fat bastard! If he'd been in Trenton where he belonged, maybe that wouldn't have happened.Only if you landed on him.It might have. Even though I was at Broad Street Station in Newark, it is conceivable I could have fallen into Trenton somehow.That was a joke, grumpy ... ;)

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Fri May 17, 2013 6:28 pm

Conservative Republicans have a nationally known Governor who is popular and they want to throw his ass out of the GOP (well maybe not throw; they'd probably get a hernia).[/break1]photobucket.com/user/Joseph_Robidoux_III/media/Politics/2013%20Elections/2013GovernorNJ2013-05-17_zpsabce6d55.jpg.html]http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n63 ... ce6d55.jpg[/break1]realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2013/governor/nj/new_jersey_governor_christie_vs_buono-3411.html]http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... -3411.htmlSo much for Reagan's big tent idea.

June bug

Post by June bug » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:37 pm

Christie is earning some respect from me with a politically smart* and philosophically reasonable call for an election to replace Senator Lautenberg. Since the governor's election is also on the ballot, it shouldn't even increase state costs by that much. Nice job, Gov!*Sekrit Stuffs!
for general, not necessarily primary elections

BFB

Post by BFB » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:51 pm

Christie is earning some respect from me with a politically smart* and philosophically reasonable call for an election to replace Senator Lautenberg. Since the governor's election is also on the ballot, it shouldn't even increase state costs by that much. Nice job, Gov!*Sekrit Stuffs!
But the senate election is set for October. The election the governor is in is in November.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:54 pm

The election dates for US Senator and Governor of New Jersey are not the same. It's going to cost NJ taxpayers a little extra so Gov Christie doesn't have a high profile US Senate contest being decided the same day he seeks re-election.Christie said the Democratic and Republican primaries will be held on Aug. 13, and the general election on Oct. 16. The winner of the general election will serve out the remainder of Lautenberg's term, and the next election will be held, on schedule, in November 2014.A special election primary and special general election will cost $24 million, according to an estimate by the Office of Legislative Services. The additional cost — though relatively small when compared with a $32.9 billion budget — will put more strain on state resources. [/break1]nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/06/christie_outlines_special_elec.html]http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/20 ... _elec.htmlElection day for the NJ governors race will be held in Nov 2013, not Oct.

jonbeck

Post by jonbeck » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:56 pm

Orly is going ballistic over the special election, nothing aggravates her more than the will of the peopleIs Chris Christie a complete moron or is he a bought and paid for rotten politician? Corrupt in name only Republicans are more dangerous than DemocratsPosted on | June 4, 2013 | No CommentsPeople were asking, why big wig Liberal Democrat billionaires are sending money to Mr. Crispie Creme for his reelection campaign. Now we have the answer.Mr. Crispie Creme managed to outdo himself yet again. When Senator Lautenberg passed away Christie had an opportunity to appoint a Republican to a position of a temporary U.S. Senator until a new election, he had an opportunity to stop some of the most devastating programs of Obama, which destroy the US economy and constitutional rights of the U.S. citizens.What did Christie do? He decided not to appoint anyone and put it up for an election, so we might get another liberal Democrat.Do you think Christie is that dumb?I don’t think so, I believe that Liberal billionaires who sent him large campaign contributions got their moneys worth.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:01 pm

O'rly's ability to comprehend the simple black and white written word is abundantly clear once more. Did the news story not say that he will appoint someone for the interim? Or am I the one who misread.

June bug

Post by June bug » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:04 pm

Right you all are - sorry, I missed both of those things. :oops: That's what I get for reading Orly's take and not double-checking with reality!Just another politician acting like a politician... :evil: I shoulda' known! :((

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:53 pm

Gov Christie's poll numbers took a slight hit the last month.[/break1]photobucket.com/user/Joseph_Robidoux_III/media/Politics/2013%20Elections/2013GovernorNJ2013-06-14_zps922702f3.jpg.html]http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n63 ... 2702f3.jpg[/break1]realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2013/governor/nj/new_jersey_governor_christie_vs_buono-3411.html]http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... -3411.html15 more losses like this and he might be in trouble.

dunstvangeet

Post by dunstvangeet » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:07 am

Orly should come to a Newark Municipal Council meeting and voice her opinions during "public hearings." She can meet lots of other crazy people. :lol:

BFB

Post by BFB » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:14 pm

Buono picks running mate in battle against Christie, sources say

Democratic gubernatorial candidate Barbara Buono will tap Milly Silva, a Hispanic female labor union leader, as her running mate next week, sources say.

Silva, vice president of SEIU 1199, which represents 7,000 nursing home workers in 74 facilities, will be be Buono's pick for lieutenant governor, according to three sources familiar with the decision who requested anonymity because they are not authorized to discuss internal deliberations. The announcement is expected to come on Monday.

(snippy)

Buono spokesman David Turner declined to comment. Silva could not be reached for comment.

In picking Silva, a 42-year-old Montclair resident, Buono gets a politically unknown partner in the campaign with links to key Democratic demographics: the Hispanic community and labor.

More at the [/break1]nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/07/buono_picks_running_mate_in_battle_against_christie.html#incart_river_default]link.

Return to “Election 2013”