Jeffs and 10 Others Indicted for Food Stamp Fraud Conspiracy and Money Laundering

HighPlainsDrifter

Re: Jeffs and 10 Others Indicted for Food Stamp Fraud Conspiracy and Money Laundering

Post by HighPlainsDrifter » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:22 am

Flatpointhigh wrote:
Pompeed wrote:
Fortinbras wrote:Knowing that there is a $50G incentive put out by the FBI to turn him in, Lyle Jeffs may likely to tempted to kill people he thinks are not solid.

A willingness to kill has been a signature crime of previous Fundie Mormons such as LeBaron.

Unless the Feds took his passport when he was given conditional release, he was out of the US within hours after he slipped the bracelet.
Jeffs was ordered to surrender his passport to the Feds as a condition of his "house arrest".

Too also, wonder what Stewart has to say about his flight.
That is easy :
"I acted in good (Mormon ) faith . Nothing to see here. "

Fortinbras

Re: Jeffs and 10 Others Indicted for Food Stamp Fraud Conspiracy and Money Laundering

Post by Fortinbras » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:05 am

Even without his passport, there are enough Fundie Mormons on the contiguous continents to have smuggled Lyle over the border - not stopping in Mexico, which has plenty of hidden Fundie colonias, but going well beyond to Central and South America and even to nearby islands. Considering the pre-existing colonias, the Jeffs may already be fluent in Mexican Spanish and thereby understandable all the way to Tierra del Fuego. And, it is conceivable, in some of those South American countries it is possible to get new fake documents for a South American passport to get to Europe.

mmmirele

Post by mmmirele » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:45 pm

Azastan wrote:
Foggy wrote:I thought only Mormon men did missions. Do ladies also do them? :confused:
Yes, they do. Not nearly as often, though, and they serve only 18 months, instead of two years.
Elizabeth Smart served a mission in France, which is where she met her now-husband.

mmmirele

Post by mmmirele » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:57 pm

Fortinbras wrote:Even without his passport, there are enough Fundie Mormons on the contiguous continents to have smuggled Lyle over the border - not stopping in Mexico, which has plenty of hidden Fundie colonias, but going well beyond to Central and South America and even to nearby islands. Considering the pre-existing colonias, the Jeffs may already be fluent in Mexican Spanish and thereby understandable all the way to Tierra del Fuego. And, it is conceivable, in some of those South American countries it is possible to get new fake documents for a South American passport to get to Europe.
Blergh, this is rather inaccurate. One thing you don't understand about fundamentalist Mormons is that the FLDS is just one of many groups, and according to sociologists I've spoken to, most polygamist families are not part of groups. The colonias in northern Mexico, for example, were originally set up under the auspices of the LDS Church in that period when the church was trying to continue the practice of polygamy even though it said it had given it up in 1890. That era ended in 1904 with the "Second Manifesto," but there were a good chunk of Mormons in Mexico (and Canada) at the time. As I'm sure you all know, George Romney, father of Mitt, was born in a colonia to US citizen parents.

After the Second Manifesto, there was a period of some confusion. Two apostles were excommunicated over continuing to marry after 1904. The modern polygamist movement comes out of an assertion by a guy named Lorin Woolley that a church president (John Taylor) said that polygamy would continue and children would continue to be born within polygamous marriages until Jesus returned. Woolley alleged that a sketchy group, called the Council of Friends, was to supervise, but there was no central authority and in any case, by the time Woolley died in 1934, people had hived off into various groups, if they weren't independents. These included the Short Creek group (FLDS), the Musser group (Apostolic United Brethren) and the Kingston group, but there were many, many independents.

The point of this recitation is to say that Warren is only recognized as the leader of the FLDS. None of the other groups and certainly none of the independents recognize him as a leader, and, in point of fact, if he were to show up in their area, they might ingratiate themselves to law enforcement by turning him in. However, the FLDS are all over the place, and, it's alleged by one of Lyle Jeffs' ex-wife that Lyle has property in South America. But, the only people Lyle can trust not to turn him in are other FLDS, not just any ole run of the mill polygamists.

mmmirele

Post by mmmirele » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:03 pm

The government filed a motion in limine to admit certain out of court statements made by Warren Jeffs to show that he knew about the food stamp fraud.

If you believe some of the ex-members (and I do), apparently FLDS members admitted to the "United Order" had to make a list of everything they own, give up what was deemed not to be useful, and then count up what they had remaining every month and turn in any excess. There's a picture in this news article of part of a list. Ugh. What a sad, parsimonious life.

http://fox13now.com/2016/09/06/flds-lea ... amp-fraud/

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:34 pm

mmmirele wrote:
Fortinbras wrote:Even without his passport, there are enough Fundie Mormons on the contiguous continents to have smuggled Lyle over the border - not stopping in Mexico, which has plenty of hidden Fundie colonias, but going well beyond to Central and South America and even to nearby islands. Considering the pre-existing colonias, the Jeffs may already be fluent in Mexican Spanish and thereby understandable all the way to Tierra del Fuego. And, it is conceivable, in some of those South American countries it is possible to get new fake documents for a South American passport to get to Europe.
Blergh, this is rather inaccurate. One thing you don't understand about fundamentalist Mormons is that the FLDS is just one of many groups, and according to sociologists I've spoken to, most polygamist families are not part of groups. The colonias in northern Mexico, for example, were originally set up under the auspices of the LDS Church in that period when the church was trying to continue the practice of polygamy even though it said it had given it up in 1890. That era ended in 1904 with the "Second Manifesto," but there were a good chunk of Mormons in Mexico (and Canada) at the time. As I'm sure you all know, George Romney, father of Mitt, was born in a colonia to US citizen parents.

After the Second Manifesto, there was a period of some confusion. Two apostles were excommunicated over continuing to marry after 1904. The modern polygamist movement comes out of an assertion by a guy named Lorin Woolley that a church president (John Taylor) said that polygamy would continue and children would continue to be born within polygamous marriages until Jesus returned. Woolley alleged that a sketchy group, called the Council of Friends, was to supervise, but there was no central authority and in any case, by the time Woolley died in 1934, people had hived off into various groups, if they weren't independents. These included the Short Creek group (FLDS), the Musser group (Apostolic United Brethren) and the Kingston group, but there were many, many independents.

The point of this recitation is to say that Warren is only recognized as the leader of the FLDS. None of the other groups and certainly none of the independents recognize him as a leader, and, in point of fact, if he were to show up in their area, they might ingratiate themselves to law enforcement by turning him in. However, the FLDS are all over the place, and, it's alleged by one of Lyle Jeffs' ex-wife that Lyle has property in South America. But, the only people Lyle can trust not to turn him in are other FLDS, not just any ole run of the mill polygamists.
I don't know about these "colonias" that you and Fortinbras have mentioned, and sorry to butt in on this, but I was under the impression that the FLDS currently have active FLDS communities in Mexico and in Canada and that it would be possible for Jeffs to get to these particular (FLDS) communities outside of the US and be protected by them. Is that true, or are there no longer active FLDS communities outside of the US?
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:06 pm

A quick google search indicates that there are still small isolated pockets of FLDS members in Canada and Mexico.
Canada And Mexico

There is a large group of Mormon Fundamentalists living in Bountiful, British Columbia and small communities within Mexico. They were one of the many groups of polygamists dispatched by the main Latter-Day Saints church to Mexico and Canada to continue to practice polygamy after the church renounced it, due to pressure by the US government. Many of the Mexican groups have returned to the US due to the Mexican Revolution, although the settlement in Bountiful is firmly established, and they mainly send wives down to Colorado Springs to be married of to FLDS mem
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Fundamentalist_Mormonism

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:30 am

http://komonews.com/news/nation-world/l ... al-custody
Fundamental Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints leader Lyle Jeffs is behind bars in South Dakota almost a year after fleeing federal custody in Utah.

Sources told KUTV Wednesday evening that Lyle Jeffs, 56, had been located in South Dakota.

Minnehaha County Jail in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, confirmed Thursday he was being held with no bond on a Federal Marshals Service hold, meaning Jeffs' warrant for arrest was issued by a United States District Court.

The jail's website lists Jeffs as an inmate as of 11:43 p.m. June 14

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:05 am

Kendra wrote:http://komonews.com/news/nation-world/l ... al-custody
Fundamental Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints leader Lyle Jeffs is behind bars in South Dakota almost a year after fleeing federal custody in Utah.

Sources told KUTV Wednesday evening that Lyle Jeffs, 56, had been located in South Dakota.

Minnehaha County Jail in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, confirmed Thursday he was being held with no bond on a Federal Marshals Service hold, meaning Jeffs' warrant for arrest was issued by a United States District Court.

:bwaha: :happyfamily: :bunny: :cheer:
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: African-American Naomi Anderson was a leader in the suffrage movement in the west, a published poet, barber, community activist, and teacher.

jmj

Post by jmj » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:35 am

That letter that Lyle supposedly sent to his brother Warren (facebook link) in prison is totally creepy. Wow.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:57 am

I can't see the letter as I don't want to sign in on Facebook, but I know who Sam Brower is. He wrote the book, Prophet's Prey, about the FLDS cult. It was later made into a movie of the same name, which I've seen (more than once). Cults have always fascinated me so I followed this one to some extent.

I'm very happy to see Lyle may be spending time behind bars as his brother Warren is doing. I think Warren is doing life. I hope Lyle gets the same.

Watching the movie and listening to Warren, it always creeped me out how very much he sounded like Jim Jones. And he is every bit as dangerous behind bars as he was out of prison.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:30 am

AndyinPA wrote:I can't see the letter as I don't want to sign in on Facebook,
Agreed. I clicked, not realizing it is a Facebook link. I don't like going to weird places since Facebook remembers my log-in. Can we get a warning of where the links posted here go to?
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

jmj

Post by jmj » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:35 am

Apologies. post edited with a warning. For what it's worth, I can view the image without logging into facebook (just click the "Not now" link when the box comes up prompting you to log in). But I can understand if you don't even want to click a facebook link.
Edit: I've attached the image to this post so you can view it without going to facebook.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:06 pm

Thanks for posting the full letter. It pretty much sounds like what I would expect. It certainly sounds as if Warren is still calling the shots, but it also looks like some have left. I believe one of his own sons left several years ago, long enough ago that he was interviewed in the movie, which is several years old now.

(Whenever, I click on the Not Now, the message always pops up again for me.)

JohnPCapitalist
Occupation: Investment management in the financial industry. Deep knowledge of stocks, tech and economics.

Post by JohnPCapitalist » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:57 pm

Kendra wrote:http://komonews.com/news/nation-world/l ... al-custody

Glad that they caught the bastard. I wonder if he was at their compound about 8 miles SW of the tiny town of Pringle SD (coordinates: 43.543438, -103.743181) or if he was somewhere else. Sioux Falls, where he's being held, is about 400 miles away, at the opposite end of the state.

jonbeck

Post by jonbeck » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:02 pm

That letter reads like something a cabinet member would write to the Supreme leader Kim Jong Don.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:12 pm

http://www.sltrib.com/news/4439005-155/ ... aptured-in

More details here. Sounds like there's going to be a press conference very soon.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:16 pm

jonbeck wrote:That letter reads like something a cabinet member would write to the Supreme leader Kim Jong Don.
:thumbs: Cult speak.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: African-American Naomi Anderson was a leader in the suffrage movement in the west, a published poet, barber, community activist, and teacher.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:26 pm

Disturbing is definitely a GOOD description.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:48 pm

I suspect there will be no extradition hearing since this is Federal. This would be a chance for me to do a BOTG. I also planning on doing a 10 day road trip, beginning next Tuesday.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:12 pm

ZekeB wrote:I suspect there will be no extradition hearing since this is Federal. This would be a chance for me to do a BOTG. I also planning on doing a 10 day road trip, beginning next Tuesday.
BOTG!!!!!

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:41 pm

He's on a Federal warrant hold being held in the local county til they come and get him.

What I'm interested in hearing is where and how they caught him, and I wonder who all else they'll get for helping him, that will be entertaining. :popcorn:
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

jmj

Post by jmj » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:53 pm

He was apparently living out of his vehicle and caught in Yankton, SD:

(warning: auto-play video)
http://www.argusleader.com/story/news/c ... 399218001/

Tip led to Lyle Jeffs' capture in Yankton, FBI says
Authorities say escaped polygamous sect leader Lyle Jeffs was living out of his car when he was captured in South Dakota.

FBI Special Agent in Charge Eric Barnhart said in Salt Lake City on Thursday that a tip led to Jeffs' capture Wednesday night at a recreation-area marina in Yankton.

U.S. Attorney for Utah John Huber says Jeffs likely will face at least one other felony charge connected to his time on the run.

He says the arrest shows that law enforcement will catch up with fugitives.

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:55 pm

jmj wrote:He was apparently living out of his vehicle and caught in Yankton, SD:

http://www.argusleader.com/story/news/c ... 399218001/

Tip led to Lyle Jeffs' capture in Yankton, FBI says
Authorities say escaped polygamous sect leader Lyle Jeffs was living out of his car when he was captured in South Dakota.

FBI Special Agent in Charge Eric Barnhart said in Salt Lake City on Thursday that a tip led to Jeffs' capture Wednesday night at a recreation-area marina in Yankton.

U.S. Attorney for Utah John Huber says Jeffs likely will face at least one other felony charge connected to his time on the run.

He says the arrest shows that law enforcement will catch up with fugitives.
So, who bought, or gave to him this 'newer Ford F-150' vehicle? I'm looking forward to seeing some more arrests.

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:10 pm

Notorial Dissent wrote:He's on a Federal warrant hold being held in the local county til they come and get him.

What I'm interested in hearing is where and how they caught him, and I wonder who all else they'll get for helping him, that will be entertaining. :popcorn:
The Salt Lake Tribune article has been getting updated throughout the day. Earlier, the article quoted the the FBI SAC.
Barnhart declined to give details about the tipster or whether he or she had an association with the FLDS, but said, "It's a great story."
What a tease.

It was updated with additions.
The owner of Yankton pawn shop says Lyle Jeffs revealed who he was on Tuesday when he pawned two pairs of Leatherman pliers for $37 and provided identification, according to the Associated Press.

River City Treasures and Pawn owner Kevin Haug says a store employee notified him that Jeffs was wanted by the FBI after Jeffs had left the store.

Haug says Jeffs provided his last name as his first name, going by Jeffs Lyle Steed.

Haug then read about Jeffs on the internet and called Yankton police. He says he provided officers with store video and pawn paperwork, the Associated Press reported.
http://www.sltrib.com/news/4439005-155/ ... aptured-in
Edit: Updated name of the paper to Salt Lake because this midwestern forgot that there are other cities with the initials SL besides that one in Missouri (and I neglect to read the name on the website). :oops:
North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Return to “Other Fringe Groups & Individuals”